Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also I think it's a more western fable. People in Japan may not be too familiar with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serge Painsbourg
Jul 26, 2016

It's bad writing. The show told the fable in the first couple of episodes, and telling it again hits the viewer in the head with it.

Granted, Megalobox's metaphors are blunt, but still.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Unmature posted:

With only three episodes left I really don't see them building to the same end as Tomorrow's Joe.

it kinda cant. they haven't earned the rikiishi/joe | yuri|joe relationship in the same way. that pivot point makes the latter half of the story, particularly the kim and especially the jose fight a lot more meaningful

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

MonsterEnvy posted:

Also I think it's a more western fable. People in Japan may not be too familiar with it.

Yep, it first showed up in the fifties as a retelling of an old Persian story called the Scorpion and the Tortoise.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Frog: But why did you sting me?
Scorpion: Gotta.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

tbp posted:

it kinda cant. they haven't earned the rikiishi/joe | yuri|joe relationship in the same way. that pivot point makes the latter half of the story, particularly the kim and especially the jose fight a lot more meaningful

I don't think it can simply because the narrative logic is different here. Jose says it in the final fight of the original: He's scared of death because he has a family, Joe isn't and is willing to burn out his life entirely in the ring. In the case of Megalo Box, Junk Dog is the one with a future to care about, even if he doesn't say it himself: JD represents the poor of his world getting opportunities and breaking free from the walls between them and District people. If he actually does die in the ring, it reinforces that they're just fuel for the meat grinder of the District, and I don't think Megalo Box plans to end that way.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
"But now we shall both surely drown!"

"Lol," replied the scorpion, "lmao"

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I didn't like the big retelling of the fable either, and I also thought the scene with Sachio and the knife didn't really work. We don't need to see him make the choice to beat Shirato through boxing because we already understand that from the moment he looked at the picture beneath his hat. We didn't need a retelling of the fable for similar reasons. Maybe I'm extrapoling this too far but it seems like the visual direction is outpacing the script

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I would have rather had a longer fight between Pepe and Yuri than one or both of those scenes. I was excited for some non-Joe high level Megalobox. But that's beyons the scope of this series it seems

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I guess that means the show is doing it's job because now I want to go back to the original Joe

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

GorfZaplen posted:

I didn't like the big retelling of the fable either, and I also thought the scene with Sachio and the knife didn't really work. We don't need to see him make the choice to beat Shirato through boxing because we already understand that from the moment he looked at the picture beneath his hat. We didn't need a retelling of the fable for similar reasons. Maybe I'm extrapoling this too far but it seems like the visual direction is outpacing the script

I don't recall the fable being reiterated earlier in the show, but if it was then yea, it being explained again is a waste. That said, I don't think the scene with Sachio contemplating his revenge on Shirato is a waste or that the scene of him looking at the picture in his hat is enough on it's own, mostly because I think it's good to have Sachio consciously make that decision on screen rather than Joe beating Yuri to show integrated tech isn't all that just being something that happens that is compatible with his desires.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

tsob posted:

I don't recall the fable being reiterated earlier in the show, but if it was then yea, it being explained again is a waste. That said, I don't think the scene with Sachio contemplating his revenge on Shirato is a waste or that the scene of him looking at the picture in his hat is enough on it's own, mostly because I think it's good to have Sachio consciously make that decision on screen rather than Joe beating Yuri to show integrated tech isn't all that just being something that happens that is compatible with his desires.

Well. It was just weird to me that the choice was between murder and boxing. It was an extreme choice that didn't feel earned by the show, to me.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It's weirder to me that his revenge for his father being murdered to steal integrated tech is "destroy the technology my dad invented publicly to discredit it's thieves". I mean yea, it makes absolute sense thematically and it's not even all that unbelievable emotionally for Sachio; I just think it's a conclusion the show should have given him more room to come to. Not in a "choose between killing Shirato and destroying faith in her product", but in a "is this what I really want and the best way to go after they killed my dad". The choice is secondary to the motives behind it, which I think could have used a bit more spotlight.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Probably my favourite episode so far. Yuri is real fun to watch box. I dunno much about boxing, but from the thread I was cognizant of a lot of footwork and such this time.

I also dunno from Spanish, but Iglesias definitely sounded like his Japanese had a definite accent and Burroughs spoke English fluently. Neither of which matter but is a nice touch from a production side, the terrible English you get from supposedly native speakers in a lot of anime always take me out of the scene.

Cool scene between Joe and Yuri. Even if this is only like their third scene together, there's a real sense of deep connection between the two that really sells their relationship.

I just took a couple high school classes, so I'm barely a half step above nothing, but it sure sounded like Spanish. And since Burroughs was speaking English, it makes sense that he wouldn't be speaking Japanese.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i would err on the side of it being Spanish even though i only noticed it sounded like Spanish at the tail end. his lines had JP subs so it was likely not Japanese, accented or otherwise.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

It is absolutely Spanish, and it's even fluent. Funny thing is, it's Castillian Spanish (i.e. Spanish from Spain) whereas Pepe is Mexican.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Mister Olympus posted:

I don't think it can simply because the narrative logic is different here. Jose says it in the final fight of the original: He's scared of death because he has a family, Joe isn't and is willing to burn out his life entirely in the ring. In the case of Megalo Box, Junk Dog is the one with a future to care about, even if he doesn't say it himself: JD represents the poor of his world getting opportunities and breaking free from the walls between them and District people. If he actually does die in the ring, it reinforces that they're just fuel for the meat grinder of the District, and I don't think Megalo Box plans to end that way.

yeah, for everything we have seen so far, megalo box is a far more optimistic story than anj.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Darth Walrus posted:

Uhh... not sure that graphic cannibalism is the sort of thing you build a TV show around.

Tell that to Bryan Fuller.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

chiasaur11 posted:

I just took a couple high school classes, so I'm barely a half step above nothing, but it sure sounded like Spanish. And since Burroughs was speaking English, it makes sense that he wouldn't be speaking Japanese.

He's a native Spanish speaker from Spain trying (and failing) to do a neutral Mexican accent, but the way he pronounces "centro" -among other things- betray him.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jun 9, 2018

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I've been cracking jokes about Yuri's sex eyes the whole show, and then Joe's reaction was more like "How dare you give somebody else the sex eyes!"

That thought made the meeting on the waterfront a little awkward.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Oh I know the subbed lines in the ring are Spanish, but I thought he said something in Japanese during the press conference.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

GorfZaplen posted:

No, you're not extrapolating too far, this is what's happening.

I thought the last episode was borderline cringe cheese. The Spanish Spanish gave me a good chuckle though.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Last episode was good. Fujimaki is finally going to leave them alone as well.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I was getting some Fate Zero Lancer vibes from this episode. I'm enjoying the hell out of this show.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
ok so i know the story will probably end no matter what on episode 13, but i think that little tiny scene with sachio means if they want to do a sequel or second season, they have room to do it with him as the pov character

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

JOE GOOD

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I loving love this show goddamn

E: Sachio raps lmao

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

drat, Nanbu, you crazy.

But you came through in the end :unsmith:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
... okay i might be off base on this but i think the scorpion/frog fable thing might be at least partially a homage to Drive

for some reason I can find every scene in the movie on youtube but the one I'm thinking of, but there's a really prominent scene where that fable gets told in-depth (because it thematically relates to the movie) and it's cool as poo poo (mostly because Ryan Gosling is terrifying in that movie), and i would not be surprised at all if MEGALO BOX was doing the bit to homage that scene

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

drat they found a way to make it even more tedious then

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I loving love this show goddamn

E: Sachio raps lmao

The Sachio rap was great and sent shivers down my spine

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Been a good year for rap in anime so far

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

The Sachio rap was at least complimentary with the faux 90s aesthetic vibe of the animation. I mean this in the most backhanded compliment way possible.

Hentai Tentacle Demon
Apr 12, 2002

Spacy Spicy Love
The scorpion and frog parable is all over anime. I've heard it in at least 5 different shows in the last year alone.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

The Sachio rap was at least complimentary with the faux 90s aesthetic vibe of the animation. I mean this in the most backhanded compliment way possible.

Why backhanded. That's a real weird thing to say dude

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I did a double take because I couldn't believe what I was hearing/seeing so in that sense it is good. Shine on you quirky anime.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Was that a totally non-functional gear? I was waiting for that to be dramatically revealed and then the tide of what the audience was saying.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

GorfZaplen posted:

Why backhanded. That's a real weird thing to say dude
I believe he's not-saying he hated it.

Personally I hated it too.

Rap sucks.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Kyte posted:

I believe he's not-saying he hated it.