Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

CommissarMega posted:

By that same dint, if I'm reading a fantasy story where the MC is named/meets Thomas Alithandriel, I get a general picture of how the world is like without having to read 500 words on how long the alliance between men and elves has been going on.
That's just a lazy assumption the author uses the same conventions you do, though. What if is not the case? What if - with this particular name- he's a fallen angel kicked out of Heaven for doubting God and also not very good at coming up with pseudonyms?

Way I see it you don't get to know, you get to assume, and the assumption has everything to do with the world you live in nothing to with the world the book takes place in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Well, if that's the case then that's a plot element, when ol' Tommy Alithandriel reveals that he's not a half-elf but a fallen angel! Bam, cool story element!

Also with regard to unique elements, trying to make a story completely out of unique elements just adds to the initial confusion a reader/viewer encounters when experiencing said story. I'd say giving them something to hang their hat on, some familiar assumptions they can take for granted, does wonders for getting people immersed in the story. Lord of the Rings started with a party, Planescape: Torment started with solving your own murder mystery etc. Letting the reader feel more mentally at home allows the more fantastic elements to better seep in, if you ask me.

EDIT: Then again, I have this avatar for a reason, so what the gently caress do I know?

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 14, 2019

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Pro is an amazingly loving stupid name.

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.
I'm mildly confused by the fact that, despite all the focus on additional dialogue options and morality meters and whatnot, there doesn't actually appear to be any real purpose to any of it yet. The only meaningful choice so far looks like it was deciding who's the Elder, and I can't imagine that scene with the guard going any differently if whatshisface was the one taking point instead. I can't even see how any of the bullshit with the inn even could affect the plot in any substantial way.

Why even include poo poo like that if you don't intend on actually making it a big part of the narrative?

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Classy Hydra posted:

I'm mildly confused by the fact that, despite all the focus on additional dialogue options and morality meters and whatnot, there doesn't actually appear to be any real purpose to any of it yet. The only meaningful choice so far looks like it was deciding who's the Elder, and I can't imagine that scene with the guard going any differently if whatshisface was the one taking point instead. I can't even see how any of the bullshit with the inn even could affect the plot in any substantial way.

Why even include poo poo like that if you don't intend on actually making it a big part of the narrative?

I suspect a lot of it is the backers having to have their OCs show up somewhere, so they get crammed into useless side plots that don't go anywhere.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Classy Hydra posted:

Well, you see, if you choose to defile the ashes of Andraste at the lost temple to obtain unholy dragon power, Valessa turns on you and you have to kill her-

Wait, wrong game.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Carmen is the worst designed character in the game so far. I'm glad we probably won't see her again until the obligatory "Where Are They Now?" at the end.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Classy Hydra posted:

You remember how Lord of the Rings had pages upon pages of talking about trees and poetry that had absolutely nothing to do with anything

Now let me tell you about how fantasy is an extremely derivative genre

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it

Tevery Best posted:

Carmen is the worst designed character in the game so far

with all due respect: how? his outfit's the most reasonable so far and compared to the gear abomination his weapon's very reasonable

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

fluffyDeathbringer posted:

with all due respect: how? his outfit's the most reasonable so far and compared to the gear abomination his weapon's very reasonable

I'm going to guess it's their neck. Either it's their own fur or they're wearing a dead animal furry like Cruella De Vil.

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

OgretailFood posted:

I'm going to guess it's their neck. Either it's their own fur or they're wearing a dead animal furry like Cruella De Vil.

is it really that bad to kill furries if they're in this world

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

is it really that bad to kill furries if they're in this world

Well, I assume it’s their version of someone wearing a person coat. Pretty gauche no mater how you slice it.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Mostly by the virtue of that loving face. Look at it! Look at the expressions! Also the artist's obsession with everything being symmetrical means Carmen looks like they should be moving around on a mobility scooter.

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

Tevery Best posted:

Mostly by the virtue of that loving face. Look at it! Look at the expressions! Also the artist's obsession with everything being symmetrical means Carmen looks like they should be moving around on a mobility scooter.

eh, I still think Valessa and Fortaime have those faces beat by a country mile, but fair enough

Cuveball Sliders
Oct 9, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

E: Oh and I guess Lilith too. ...Did Klace jut forget to run them through his name jumbler or something because the way this game is going so far they should be like Lillefth and Cerman and poo poo.

Cerman makes me think of how much better this game would be if all the characters were replaced by Kerbals

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Don't you loving dare taint the great legacy of space pioneer Jebediah Kerman with even the faintest association to this pile of flaming garbage!

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
okay but KSP VN when

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
which one of you did this

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Well, three of you have utterly terrifying Halloween costumes now, I guess?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
What I want to know is why those three were targeted, for lack of a better word.

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011

CommissarMega posted:

What I want to know is why those three were targeted, for lack of a better word.

I thought it might be post count since inthesto has the second most posts in the thread behind only Blarghalt... fluffyDeathbringers in the top 10. But Tevery Best isn't even on the list and he got Carmen after talking about how terrible Carmen looked so...

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

fortnite? really? if my posts are that bad, you can just. say that. with your words. and I will stop making them. because unlike some people, apparently, I am a reasonable goddamn person

(nah for real, good gag, I'm flattered. guess this is some kind of goon initiation? being avatar pranked? all things considered it could've been something a lot worse. if you want me to reimburse the money you spent on this, DM me or something)

fluffyDeathbringer fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Oct 30, 2019

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
clearly the only way out of this situation y'all've found yourselves in is to develop your own major\minorsona, sparkly enough to override what's been done to you.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Drive by avatar changing is a time-honoured tradition. One ought not question the mysterious buyers of honestly strangely artifacted furry VN avs.

BleiddWhitefalcon
Jul 30, 2014
Maybe Klace is here and he's doing this to be passive aggressive about us criticizing his 'masterpiece'

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Buying avatars out of spite is way too sophisticated for him though.

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

at the same time it definitely scans as the exact kind of stupid "I'm not mad, I'm laughing actually" thing he'd do

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

The best part is how shittily cropped they are.

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.
eventually, everyone will be consumed by the furringularity

nobody panic until we start talking like mediocre anime fansubs

BleiddWhitefalcon
Jul 30, 2014

Classy Hydra posted:

eventually, everyone will be consumed by the furringularity

nobody panic until we start talking like mediocre anime fansubs

I'd rather stab myself then talk like any of the idiots in either this or Major/Minor

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

the eyes oh dear god the EYES

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

PiCroft posted:

the eyes oh dear god the EYES

:suicide:

Also, you had to remind me that this game existed, didn't you.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Folt The Bolt posted:

:suicide:

Also, you had to remind me that this game existed, didn't you.

drat, I didn't even realise it had been that long since the last update. That'll learn me to reply from page 1.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

PiCroft posted:

drat, I didn't even realise it had been that long since the last update. That'll learn me to reply from page 1.

Now that you mention it, I wonder why it's taking Blarghalt so long...

Maybe the game is so unentertainingly bad that he's been slogging through it and forgot he was LPing it? That might be a blessing in disguise.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
He's secretly fallen in love with the game and can't bring himself to hate-LP it anymore.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I have it on good authority that Blarghalt has not abandoned this thread and will revive it eventually.

This is not a promise; it is a threat.

Hear that, Blargh? This curse will never be lifted, and we're going to suffer in hell together.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

That was not the good news I wanted.

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

I bore the cursed mark on my forum profile for so long I legitimately managed to forget what it was from

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

You cannot run from your fate Blarghalt. Your suffering will be legendary, even in hell Let's Play