Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

friendbot2000 posted:

Watch this video and get inspired. Get this woman elected. Why not choose to stay in the fight? What do you have to lose?

Sanders lost. This is true. But that doesn't mean it's over. It means that we need people to pick up where Sanders left off. Sanders built a movement. It is up to everyone who considers themselves a leftist to grow the tent. Bring more people in at all levels and get them elected to office. Let's do the work.

Threw in some more cash, bringing my total to 700 for Wilkes. I hope that helps to get the infrastructure and personnel needed to do the deed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
Mckayla called me personally yesterday! Threw $200 more her way.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

If you want to learn more about Jess, she's having a Something Awful town hall next week:

April 30th at 9 PM EDT: The Jess Scarane Something Awful Town Hall
Sign up here: https://actionnetwork.org/events/the-c-spamsomething-awful-town-hall-with-jess?source=direct_link&
This will be a Q&A and digital town hall for goons only. Ask Jess whatever you want.

May 2nd at 6 PM EDT: Jess Scarane & Staff Present: A Tabletop RPG Stream
Sign up here: https://actionnetwork.org/events/jess-scarane-staff-present-a-tabletop-rpg-stream?source=direct_link&
This is literally going to be us playing a tabletop RPG for the first time ever, with an experienced dungeon master. Donations will be encouraged... and might result in game changing effects. :tinfoil:

downout
Jul 6, 2009

ya'll ready for a revolution? let's get that ball rolling.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

More Jess/Mckayla synergy to motivate the thread:
https://twitter.com/JessforDelaware/status/1252760345904508929?s=20

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

never been a better time to donate:

bedpan posted:

Greetings comrades!

I donated the dope, sex number ($1420.69) to the Jess campaign.

:siren:I will match any other donations until I hit my campaign contribution limit.:siren:

Donate to Jess Scarane for Delaware

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Ok

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Thanks by the way. As of about an hour ago, Jess had her best fundraising month ever.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Jess is $54 closer to victory

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

https://secure.actblue.com/donate/-mckaylaforcongress-1?refcode=textvideo

Mckayla Wilkes is doing a fundraising push to meet her goal of 250k by midnight. Who's with me?

Lets put Steny Hoyer in the retirement home where his geriatric rear end belongs!

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I am. Another $27 for her

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
just fyi I'm in for a total of $150 to Wilkes over the past year

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Thanks all! Wifebot and I dropped 1K on Wilkes and we phone bank every night! You can do it too! Get in the game and put in the work!

Here is the phone bank sign up sheet!
http://evnt.events/0e8408

Dreissi
Feb 14, 2007

:dukedog:
College Slice
Donated 76.65 to Jess Scarane for the donation match.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

How does Arizona look for down ballot people post primary?
I have been managing my mood and plan on returning to phone-banking or whatever sometime this month and really want to see if there's anyone worth supporting in the state i'm currently living in.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Rockit posted:

How does Arizona look for down ballot people post primary?
I have been managing my mood and plan on returning to phone-banking or whatever sometime this month and really want to see if there's anyone worth supporting in the state i'm currently living in.

Arizona primary for non-presidential candidates is August 4th, so the candidates that should be primaried can still be removed.

Tom O'Halleran is the incumbent D in Arizona's 1st District, which is a mostly rural NE quarter of the state, and he was a Republican until 2016. The DCCC supports him and he's about as centrist as a democrat can possibly get. Eva Putzova is the progressive (M4A, free college, Green New Deal) running against him. O'Halleran has almost 10x more money invested into the campaign as Putzova. I think she has a small chance, since Flagstaff is in that district and it's a weird mix of very progressive college kids and newer rich people who lean democrat and love crystals. Her website can be found here: https://evaforcongress.com

The 2nd congressional district is the rural south central and has seesawed a lot in recent elections, but is polling as likely Dem. The incumbent centrist (Ann Kirkpatrick) is currently seeking treatment for alcohol dependence. Peter Quilter is the progressive (universal healthcare, end citizens united) trying to primary her. His website is here: https://www.quilterforcongress.com

The 6th district is even tougher because it's the rich half of Phoenix who usually vote strongly Republican, but might change their tune considering the incumbent (David Schweikert) is spending more than he is fundraising and is still under investigation by the Office of Congressional Ethics. The candidate the DCCC is likely to support is Dr. Hiral Tipirneni, who ran an unsuccessful campaign against Debbie Lesko a couple years back. She's not super centrist, but I wouldn't call her progressive-lite either, and she's got 10x the cash of the other candidates. Anita Malik is the progressive candidate (M4A, legalize marijuana, gun control, end fracking) that managed to make the primary ballot. Anita's website can be found here: https://anitaforarizona.com

I live in Arizona's 8th district and the incumbent is Debbie Lesko. She's a Trump kool-aid drinker and a blight on humanity. She is very likely going to keep her spot, sadly. She beat Dr. Hiral by 33k votes (11%) in 2018. This district has an older demographic, been gerrymandered to include a large swath of rural land NW of the more populated and diverse parts of Glendale/Peoria, and these people suck at this whole social distancing thing (which makes me think they are very dumb). The leading dem is a Buttigieg-esque business bro who might get more than Dr. Hiral did but doesn't stand a chance. Bob Olsen is the closest thing to a progressive on the ballot and his website is here: https://www.bobolsen2020.com/home/

We're stuck with Mark Kelly in the special Senate election. Like I couldn't even find information on independent or third party candidates for this race. He's likely to win it, since no one likes Martha McSally, but he sucks. He's saying Sinema (Who should be considered a Republican) is doing a good job representing Arizona and his policies are so milquetoast.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Vinestalk posted:

Arizona primary for non-presidential candidates is August 4th, so the candidates that should be primaried can still be removed.

Tom O'Halleran is the incumbent D in Arizona's 1st District, which is a mostly rural NE quarter of the state, and he was a Republican until 2016. The DCCC supports him and he's about as centrist as a democrat can possibly get. Eva Putzova is the progressive (M4A, free college, Green New Deal) running against him. O'Halleran has almost 10x more money invested into the campaign as Putzova. I think she has a small chance, since Flagstaff is in that district and it's a weird mix of very progressive college kids and newer rich people who lean democrat and love crystals. Her website can be found here: https://evaforcongress.com

The 2nd congressional district is the rural south central and has seesawed a lot in recent elections, but is polling as likely Dem. The incumbent centrist (Ann Kirkpatrick) is currently seeking treatment for alcohol dependence. Peter Quilter is the progressive (universal healthcare, end citizens united) trying to primary her. His website is here: https://www.quilterforcongress.com

The 6th district is even tougher because it's the rich half of Phoenix who usually vote strongly Republican, but might change their tune considering the incumbent (David Schweikert) is spending more than he is fundraising and is still under investigation by the Office of Congressional Ethics. The candidate the DCCC is likely to support is Dr. Hiral Tipirneni, who ran an unsuccessful campaign against Debbie Lesko a couple years back. She's not super centrist, but I wouldn't call her progressive-lite either, and she's got 10x the cash of the other candidates. Anita Malik is the progressive candidate (M4A, legalize marijuana, gun control, end fracking) that managed to make the primary ballot. Anita's website can be found here: https://anitaforarizona.com

I live in Arizona's 8th district and the incumbent is Debbie Lesko. She's a Trump kool-aid drinker and a blight on humanity. She is very likely going to keep her spot, sadly. She beat Dr. Hiral by 33k votes (11%) in 2018. This district has an older demographic, been gerrymandered to include a large swath of rural land NW of the more populated and diverse parts of Glendale/Peoria, and these people suck at this whole social distancing thing (which makes me think they are very dumb). The leading dem is a Buttigieg-esque business bro who might get more than Dr. Hiral did but doesn't stand a chance. Bob Olsen is the closest thing to a progressive on the ballot and his website is here: https://www.bobolsen2020.com/home/

We're stuck with Mark Kelly in the special Senate election. Like I couldn't even find information on independent or third party candidates for this race. He's likely to win it, since no one likes Martha McSally, but he sucks. He's saying Sinema (Who should be considered a Republican) is doing a good job representing Arizona and his policies are so milquetoast.

Thanks for all this info Arizona goon!

Yeh, while Kelly sucks, a flip is better than McSally staying in the loving Senate. We will just have to find a better challenger next time. In the mean time, there is work to be done.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Dreissi posted:

Donated 76.65 to Jess Scarane for the donation match.

another double sex number donation for Jess!

Dreissi
Feb 14, 2007

:dukedog:
College Slice

bedpan posted:

another double sex number donation for Jess!

I really wanted to donate the weed number but I don’t think I can float 420 right now :(

SkyLander
Dec 27, 2007

I know times are rough but I wanted to throw Rick Shepherd into the hat.

Running for Nevada District 2 for Congress.

https://rickshepherd.com/?page_id=1992

He is a Progressive/Bernie candidate that would run against Mark Amodei. I believe his policy points should give Rick a good run to be able to flip this seat. Our Primary is June 9th and the ballots have been mailed out but it seems like people are hanging onto to them before mailing them back so I think there is still a good chance he can get the nomination.

SkyLander fucked around with this message at 05:21 on May 10, 2020

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/RepJoeKennedy/status/1258900004623835136?s=20
gently caress this guy. $25 to Ed Markey.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
McKayla Wilkes called again. Props to her for hustling hella hard. Asked for $200, I said I could do $50. So, another $50 to McKayla Wilkes, who actually has me thinking she may have a shot at AOC'ing Steny Hoyer.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
McKayla called, donated to her campaign

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/carterforva/status/1262356392767361024

Andy Ngo is attacking this candidate for congress in Washington state. Let's fundraise off his racist nazi bullshit and send Joshua some love

https://www.joshua2020.com/

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I dont ever want to poo poo on other candidates and such at all but I actually live local to Josh and tried to help out on the campaign / volunteered with him back in october/november for other local races and I honestly at this point do not see his operation as being legitimate at all. I was feeling that way before he changed parties and the filings but how he and the campaign have reacted to criticism has been really poor. I've been in the discord the entire time and watched every single bit of criticism about FEC filings or just generally "maybe next time you could go about this differently" get people banned.

That being said, Andy Ngo is a racist facist piece of poo poo and I hope he dies in a car fire.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 21:26 on May 19, 2020

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Tossed another hundred at Wilkes and my first donation to Scarane.

...what reminded me was seeing some update on EVE politics on YouTube, marveling that the Imperium is still trucking along, and then making the connection to a lack of recent donations...

Also Wilkes campaign keeps calling at really inopportune times! There's also a part of me that feels a little dirty taking that phone call when I don't even live in the area.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

HelloSailorSign posted:

Tossed another hundred at Wilkes and my first donation to Scarane.

...what reminded me was seeing some update on EVE politics on YouTube, marveling that the Imperium is still trucking along, and then making the connection to a lack of recent donations...

Also Wilkes campaign keeps calling at really inopportune times! There's also a part of me that feels a little dirty taking that phone call when I don't even live in the area.
Please don't feel that way. Phone bank for Mckayla and then phone bank for Jess. The only way they win is through national support.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

I'm Canadian, but I hope everyone who could vote today, did.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Hi I was told I should post this here:

The thread has died down so here's some strategy thoughts;

1) Peaceful protest by MLK was successful because it was cracked down on harshly, which made national news, which turned Americans against the state.

2) Violent riots were necessary because they prompted curfews, which prompted resistance, which prompted harsh crackdowns, which has turned some people against the state.

3) Big difference between now and then is the diffusion of media. So something that gets picked up by a national channel might not get seen by someone who only checks Facebook or whatever.

4) This has the knock on effect of not allowing leaders to rise because there's no platform for them to float on nationally.

Ergo;

5) The only way to combat the high noise to signal ratio is to go hyper local and build up local leaders and target local attention, with a loose national affiliation. How much damage could we cause to LAPD by a Facebook ad showing police brutality targeted at 40-80 year old whites in the LA area with an income between 70 and 500k?

I'm not a community organizer. I've moved around the country a lot and my home is far away. I can't do this. I imagine the breakdown of community by our hyper traveling/hyper fractured social structure means others are pretty similar. Just wanted to share these thoughts.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

So State Farm, one of the top 50 largest companies in America, is a member of ALEC. People have been begging them to stop ever since Trayvon Martin was murdered, and they were called out in the documentary 13th. So far it hasn't worked, but there is currently a lot of pressure being put on the company, both internally and externally, to stop funding ALEC and cut ties immediately, and I wanted to post this petition here asking them to do so:

https://sign.moveon.org/petitions/state-farm-stop-using?fbclid=IwAR2bFxP3DXu6M__EiIi062TUxC209TTpkdUha_Y__LBAT3yaWZPVV-E2rpI

Company leadership is aware of the pressure, and it seems like they have been trying to figure out a way to respond, so it is important to continue applying said pressure. If you are able/willing, please sign, and feel free to socialize the link as you see fit. I'm hoping that this can make some difference in pulling funds from ALEC, and helping to prevent the privatization of prisons and schools, anti-LGBTQ+ laws, stand your ground-style bullshit, anti-environmentalist laws, union-busting and deregulation, etc. etc. etc.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
An amazing goon did a trip report on doing calls for the first time for a campaign - for Jess Scarane!

BeefThief posted:

First-time phonebanking trip report:

Nichael personally activated my antifa supersoldier cell of one and convinced me to make some calls. I hadn't ever done it before, content to throw the little money I have at my problems, but since the goon signal went up in a direct way I acquiesced.

It's pretty easy to get started. About 10 minutes of video tutorials, signing up for slack (which I guess I would describe as a less chaotic and less friggityfuck discord) and a quick call with Nichael (or somebody else from the campaign I guess), then you're off to the races. The first couple of calls were a little bit awkward (what am I doing, being a representative of the campaign in a state I don't live in, oh god I can't find the beginning of the script what do these buttons do, do the buttons actually do anything) but after about three attempts I started getting some people who didn't want to hang up immediately and I put on my smooth and confident voice. Lots of people who "always vote democrat" but weren't aware of the primary on September 15th. Lots of people who hadn't heard of Jess whose emails I collected. A few people who were "fed up with what's going on" who might be interested in volunteering so I explained to them how easy it was to get started. When I told them it was my first time phonebanking ever and how easy it was to get started and that they didn't ever have to visit the campaign office and could stay cozy in their house with their slippers and coffee or whatever Delawareans do at home, they seemed even more interested. I spelled Jess's last name at least 15 times over the course of 2.5 hours. Got a guy who I asked to volunteer who said he couldn't because he was blind, I told him "well I'm sure you see a lot of things other people don't" which he got a real kick out of, so he's voting for Jess. Got a big fan of Chris Coons who was a total rear end in a top hat (surprise!) but it's just some disembodied voice over the phone and after 3-4 calls you're ready for that so I had fun with it and was very polite and happy to be talking to him anyway.

What really convinced me to get started is looking at how many people actually vote in my local elections. I'm talking 6000 people voting total for a state assembly seat. I think this is a good opportunity for practice fighting for a candidate who is basically perfect on policy with no lovely record to defend, and I'm planning to take the experience I gain volunteering for Jess and apply it to much, much smaller races in the future in my area.

If you ever wanted to get politically active but didn't know where to start so never did, I would highly advise you to give this a try. By the end of my time making calls, I was chasing the dragon, holding out for one more positive response before I hung it up. It's automatic in how it becomes a game, and it is actually pretty fun. It is much easier and less awkward than you would think.

Thanks Beefthief! This reflects my own experience pretty well.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
https://twitter.com/ashtonpittman/status/1307828215008952320

Time to dust off this old jalopy.

Give me names! Give me fresh links! Give me phone-banking meme-making facebooking links!

Shadi Zitoon
Jan 25, 2020

https://www.shadizitoon.com
I am bumping this because early voting starts tomorrow, and we need all the help we can get.

As far as I know, I am the only goon on anyone's ballot.

I need people making phone calls to get out the vote and donations if you can afford it.

Y'all are the first people I am putting this out for but we have a donor who is matching the next $1000 we get donated.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I guess that means you just got $54

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Kicked in $27. Goonspeed

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Shadi Zitoon posted:

I am bumping this because early voting starts tomorrow, and we need all the help we can get.

I need people making phone calls to get out the vote and donations if you can afford it.

Y'all are the first people I am putting this out for but we have a donor who is matching the next $1000 we get donated.

kicked in 27$. gently caress the police plz

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Shadi Zitoon posted:

I should've said this sooner, but I've been busy with Delaware stuff and got delayed. I spoke with Shadi twice last week, and he's really cool. This is an opportunity to get someone directly from this forum in the literal Texas Senate on a leftist platform. If you can donate to him, please do!

And if you can volunteer, his mom is his volunteer manager which is very :3: and extremely efficient. Help him phone bank!

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost
Did we win?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Ehhh. Won the big one, though they're trying to steal it from us, lost a lot of the down ballot ones we really wanted, got spanked in a lot of the State legislatures that will do the 2020 redistricting, and now have to pray for a pair of fairly unlikely Georgia Senate wins to try and barely grab that.

Mixed blessings at best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Idk that Goonpac’s picks did particularly smashing tho.

Eh, we got goons engaged and donating. I’m happy that we did some stuff and some money got to some good candidates.

I’d like to do something a bit better and with more of an eye for broader causes down the road.