Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Kalli posted:

Every game was uncompetitive this weekend due to the wave of covid the nfl decided to just not test for.

Dude.

Anyway gonna take this excuse to the airwaves of sports talk radio to explain why this is the only reason the Pats lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

wandler20 posted:

Hopefully the Bucs can give them a game this time.

I think it's probably going to be a bit of a shootout again with both teams looking good against the run but giving up explosive pass plays constantly.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

rjmccall posted:

Yeah. Illegal formation is messing up who’s on or at the ends of the line, illegal motion is something like multiple people moving in the backfield, false start is moving forward before the snap (other than prior to properly getting set).

But it was movement prior to getting set that was called. It was the 4th down Jimmy sneak that was flagged that I'm referring to, Trent Williams wasn't set for a full second so it got flagged as a false start. Or maybe I misunderstood what you are saying

lol. Akers is definitely a scary guy for a DB to stop. He's big and heavy. Baker put his body on the line to do it but kind of turned his body to shield himself and it ended up head/shoulder to side of head which is a bad bad combination.

The stunting Akers did was terrible though. For now I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he didn't actually know Baker was really hurt, which is what he said on twitter. But I also feel like that is the EXACT place where a taunting flag would actually be appropriate and yet it didn't happen. Compared to some of the other garbage getting called this one was egregious

Kawalimus posted:

IIRC last year it was good. I actually think they should just go ahead and make an 8th spot and get rid of the byes altogether. That also assures that pretty much all the good teams will get in and maybe better teams that are hurt all year and go like 10-7 are in less danger of missing the playoffs. Look how many 10-6 teams like the Ricky Williams Dolphins in 2002 (I think it was then) missed the playoffs or the Derek Anderson Browns in 2007 among other teams. It would be nice to see more of those teams get in. And who knows what would happen.

I agree. I have no problem with more playoff games and frankly I enjoyed all these blowouts very much except for the Bucs one.

Moreover, the NFL is never going back to 6 seeds and 16 games no matter how much everyone whinges about it. Might as well make your peace with it now.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Too much money to be made to go back to less playoff teams/games, and too much money to be made to stop the train because of COVID. That's...well, you know the rest.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
I unironically think Wentz getting covid brain fog contributed to the Colts missing playoffs

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Blitz of 404 Error posted:

I unironically think Wentz getting covid brain fog contributed to the Colts missing playoffs

I am 100% signed on for this theory.

I wonder if eventually we're just gonna have hordes of covid-ravaged, slobbering morons out there calling themselves a football team

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
when did he first get covid?

edit: because he was also terrible in 2020

Play
Apr 25, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

when did he first get covid?

edit: because he was also terrible in 2020

I think we've finally found him. PATIENT ZERO

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Qwijib0 posted:

This is a hell of a stat

Over the last two years, the Cardinals are 0-5 in games when a victory would have clinched a playoff spot. And they are now 0-1 in the playoffs.

got 'em just where we want em :negative:

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I just want to take another second and appreciate KC stunting on the Steelers by having Kelce throw a TD. I don’t know why they did that but they did just because they could and it was good to humiliate the Steelers.

It must’ve been Covid, but it’s over now

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Play posted:

But it was movement prior to getting set that was called. It was the 4th down Jimmy sneak that was flagged that I'm referring to, Trent Williams wasn't set for a full second so it got flagged as a false start. Or maybe I misunderstood what you are saying

Moving forward is a false start unless you then get set. Trent moved forward intending to get set, but he wasn’t able to get set because they snapped too soon, so he doesn’t fall into the safe harbor and it was a false start.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

rjmccall posted:

Moving forward is a false start unless you then get set. Trent moved forward intending to get set, but he wasn’t able to get set because they snapped too soon, so he doesn’t fall into the safe harbor and it was a false start.

Ahhh okay I get it. He 'moved forward' in the sense that he was just taking his spot but since it ended up happening that he didn't get set for enough time he gets a retroactive false start.

kind of unfair, they should've found a way to make the penalty on Jimmy

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Aaron Donald choked another guy

https://twitter.com/twdtv1/status/1483279676999188485?s=21

Play
Apr 25, 2006

that's my DT :c00lbutt:

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

"Stop Hate"

Hehehehehehehhhhhhh

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

He’s choked before?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Didn't you see SBLIII?

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Gatts posted:

He’s choked before?

Yeah, Lucas Patrick last season https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eAHtAaco74

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Didn't you see SBLIII?

lol

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
^^ drat Donald has a problem. Hopefully nothing simmering under the surface

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Didn't you see SBLIII?

Probably I assume I just don’t remember it

Edit: poo poo I just got this joke drat

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Normally I would grouse about how certain players get away with certain things without punishment, but he plays the buccaneers next week so I'm cool with it this time.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Eifert Posting posted:

Normally I would grouse about how certain players get away with certain things without punishment, but he plays the buccaneers next week so I'm cool with it this time.

:mad: and here I was rooting for the Bengals well not anymore mister

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Play posted:

Moreover, the NFL is never going back to 6 seeds and 16 games no matter how much everyone whinges about it. Might as well make your peace with it now.

Oh I know. I will still complain about it since it's not what I grew up with, as I'm sure everyone who grew up in the 70s complained about the switch to 16.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Eifert Posting posted:

Maybe guys should stop picking fights with Aaron Donald, ever think about that?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

There were NFC and AFC teams that barely missed the playoffs that would've put on a better show than the Eagles and Steelers, IMO

Play
Apr 25, 2006

shyduck posted:

There were NFC and AFC teams that barely missed the playoffs that would've put on a better show than the Eagles and Steelers, IMO

true, but in that case they probably should've went ahead and won more games

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Play posted:

true, but in that case they probably should've went ahead and won more games

Raiders should have knelt.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I quickly looked up the Steelers and Eagles SoS from the preseason just to see if there was any weird basic meaningless non-correlation between the 7 seeds to latch onto.

Steelers were #1, Eagles were #32. I got nothing.

Cowboys were #31

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

2 weeks before the end of the season everyone was convinced the Colts would be a powerful playoff team and then they got clowned by the Raiders and Jaguars, so who knows.

I mean theoretically the Chargers should've done something in the playoffs, but they faded hard those last 3 weeks to whiff....

The NFC pretty much had nobody though, the Eagles were fine, like what? the Saints or Vikings were going to give us a show? lol, nah.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
The Saints owned the bucs in the regular season though so maybe they’d do it again

Still they were a crappy watch so they’re fine to stay at home

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It's funny that the Bucs with Brady are 1-4 against the Saints, yet that 1 was of course in the playoffs.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Cards didn't establish the run and paid a high price.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Kalli posted:

2 weeks before the end of the season everyone was convinced the Colts would be a powerful playoff team and then they got clowned by the Raiders and Jaguars, so who knows.

I mean theoretically the Chargers should've done something in the playoffs, but they faded hard those last 3 weeks to whiff....

The NFC pretty much had nobody though, the Eagles were fine, like what? the Saints or Vikings were going to give us a show? lol, nah.

Chargers would have been more fun than the Steelers but if you're losing to the Texans I don't really think you should be anywhere near the post season.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

wyoak posted:

The Saints owned the bucs in the regular season though so maybe they’d do it again

Still they were a crappy watch so they’re fine to stay at home

Saints would have needed to beat the Rams and Packers first. And yeah if that happened there is no freaking way they don’t also beat the Bucs because something unholy is going on.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

The NFL needs a BCS

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

BlindSite posted:

Chargers would have been more fun than the Steelers but if you're losing to the Texans I don't really think you should be anywhere near the post season.

I mean the Titans barely managed to scrape by with only one loss to the Texans, and they got the #1 seed.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

shyduck posted:

The NFL needs a BCS

Send teams to the playoffs based on their offensive DVOA rankings

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

You could say that but it never would've been in question if the Chargers could've won a single other game out of all 17 so maybe they should've tried doing that.

I do agree that Herbert got let down by the coaching and especially the defense. But if you can't beat the Raiders do you really belong in the playoffs? Or the Texans?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Play posted:

You could say that but it never would've been in question if the Chargers could've won a single other game out of all 17 so maybe they should've tried doing that.

I do agree that Herbert got let down by the coaching and especially the defense. But if you can't beat the Raiders do you really belong in the playoffs? Or the Texans?

Irrelevant. We were denied something truly special, something so beautiful that bridged all of our petty political, race, and religious divisions. And the Raiders went and ruined it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

I think I was just a bad year for top-heavy conferences really. Last year there was a few wildcard upsets, 5 and 6 won in the AFC and 5 and 6 in the NFC, things just weren't as close this year. I also think it will years before we see a 7 over 2 upset.