Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I'd rank 3 the lowest simply because the plot doesn't go anywhere, John ends in the same mess he started in, and most of the threads get brushed aside in the next movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Also 3 had Charon tell us that 9mm 124gr or whatever was SERIOUS BUSINESS which was funny.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Admiral Bosch posted:

Hiroyuki Sanada should have been the chaser, not Donnie Yen. that's my take.

This is wrong but is also like to see it. He would give it a different energy.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah plotwise the third part is probably the weakest because it just kinda goes in a circle and the whole Marocco part doesn't really go anywhere. But at the same time the aesthetics and setpieces felt a lot more memorable than 2's.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Utterly baffled, but in a good way, by the scene where the Marquis is waiting to receive news just standing in a fancy barn with ladies riding horses in circles around him, clinking swords.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It's rich white people poo poo.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Dr Christmas posted:

Utterly baffled, but in a good way, by the scene where the Marquis is waiting to receive news just standing in a fancy barn with ladies riding horses in circles around him, clinking swords.

mastershakeman posted:

It's kind of funny because the horses in that one fun little scene of the fencers in the stable? Easily cost more than the bounty on wick

a combination of the gross excess of wealth and conveying that dealing with Wick isn't about the money he's costing the High Table, it's about the message.

just like how the entire series has been with the coins.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 23, 2023

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
It was such a joy watching this in a crowded theater and hearing the entire audience OOF in unison at each of the great falls.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
Finally got around to watching this movie. This was my favorite scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdGrC9S4PYA

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJO6ya4ezIA

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aiji_iAi-JY&t=1s

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
John Wick 5: Lightning strikes the grave of John Wick and a gnarled hand breaks forth from the earth. In order to be laid to rest, John must defeat the five monster lords of assassin world: dracula, frankenstein, the mummy, swamp thing and the wolfman.

Edit: the movie is 17 hours long.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Anonymous Robot posted:

John Wick 5: Lightning strikes the grave of John Wick and a gnarled hand breaks forth from the earth. In order to be laid to rest, John must defeat the five monster lords of assassin world: dracula, frankenstein, the mummy, swamp thing and the wolfman.

WHAT A HORRIBLE NIGHT
TO HAVE A DEBT

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
Scott Adkins had a two part chat with Keanu on his Art of action series:

https://youtu.be/lUcRqFfjJSk

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Anonymous Robot posted:

I'm going to rank these guys in terms of difficulty for John Wick to kill:

5. Wolfman: Basically just any other assassin with a gimmick and weak to silver bullets, Wick would blow this guy away no problem.

4. Swamp Thing: This would be higher but I think John would be respectful of Swamp Thing's love of nature and they'd ultimately end the fight as allies.

3. The Mummy: Fighting him would probably not be too much trouble but you've usually got to figure out the mechanics of whatever magic brought him to life to actually kill him, which would take some extra time, research, and planning.

2. Dracula: A pretty tough fight with Dracula's ability to turn into bats or mist but the inevitable finisher with a wooden stake would be sick as hell.

1. Frankenstein: A big tough guy who is almost impossible to actually kill, probably the toughest in terms of a knock-down drag-out fight.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Flying Zamboni posted:

1. Frankenstein: A big tough guy who is almost impossible to actually kill, probably the toughest in terms of a knock-down drag-out fight.

You say that, but...

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Flying Zamboni posted:

5. Wolfman: Basically just any other assassin with a gimmick and weak to silver bullets, Wick would blow this guy away no problem.

4. Swamp Thing: This would be higher but I think John would be respectful of Swamp Thing's love of nature and they'd ultimately end the fight as allies.

3. The Mummy: Fighting him would probably not be too much trouble but you've usually got to figure out the mechanics of whatever magic brought him to life to actually kill him, which would take some extra time, research, and planning.

2. Dracula: A pretty tough fight with Dracula's ability to turn into bats or mist but the inevitable finisher with a wooden stake would be sick as hell.

I am envisioning that each monster has a themed lair a la Five Element Ninja. (Honestly thinking they might have a hard time with Dracula as the bulletproof suit guys doing the dracula cloak pull maneuver in JW4 is pretty sublime already.)

For Frankenstein, I’m going the Castlevania route and letting him have some cyborg rocket and gun appendages as part of his Wickification.

The mummy’s funeral wraps are soaked in liquid kevlar, obviously. He needs to be unraveled before being vulnerable.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Anonymous Robot posted:

The mummy’s funeral wraps are soaked in liquid kevlar, obviously. He needs to be unraveled before being vulnerable.

John Wick grabbing one end of a piece of wrapping and kicking the mummy out of the window of a tall building, the mummy spinning through the air and unraveling on the way down like a dropped roll of paper towels.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Anonymous Robot posted:

John Wick 5: Lightning strikes the grave of John Wick and a gnarled hand breaks forth from the earth.

Secret The Crow remake confirmed.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Flying Zamboni posted:

The wooden stake would be a pencil, obviously.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Wick fights the Frankenstein, but then he realizes the Monster is not Frankenstein. It is Frankenstein who is in fact, the monster. Wick and Monster team up to fight Victor, who has built a new Monster who is bulletproof because their skin is kevlar.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

yeeeeah, i'm thinking im drac

gregday
May 23, 2003

Perestroika posted:

You say that, but...

Now I want to see John Wick fight Happy Gilmore's old construction job boss.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
John Wick vs Jaws would be a cool fight

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
John Wick Franchise Crosses $1 Billion at the Box Office

PUH-LEEEZE let him stay dead and explore the other characters they've already introduced.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Just contributed to that milestone tonight. Great actions with fantastic visuals and set pieces. The bulletproof suits felt a bit used up times, but the cool locations or change in shots kept it feeling fun.

Hmmm favorite location might be Berlin or maybe the stairs. But they were all great.

Wicks real power is he is a tank. Takes so many falls off buildings, hit by cars, thrown down stairs, but always gets up.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF
This just dropped on home streaming for purchase today (at least in the US).

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Don't really go to the cinema any more so just caught this on home release. Was pretty nonplussed by JW2 and JW3, they're fine movies that to me got really bogged down in lore and set building. For like the first 90 minutes of JW4's runtime I was pretty down on it, wasn't really doing anything that felt dynamic and the "You fool, John Wick (and audience), you assumed this thing worked like this but there are other higher powers here blah blah" is tiresome. Not properly awful though because I would watch Ian McShane read a phone book.

However, god drat does JW4 kick in to a whole different gear once everyone's in Paris. Clear goal, clear stakes, super exciting choreography, creative but well framed and paced action. No notes, just loving great poo poo. Loved when the camera pulled out of scenes to really set things up, it's the good JW stuff. I don't want or need 50 cuts in 10 seconds to build momentum and tension.

This film rocks. It didn't need to be almost three loving hours though.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

sigher posted:

The more I learn about the Wickiverse and the assassins the less interesting any of it becomes. You can just come up with some other form of "bond" to get out of trouble, chop off a finger here, blood on a coin there, and hey, sear your forearm for funsies. It's all meaningless fluff and lost its intrigue 2 films ago.

I mean, that's kinda the point of the overarching narrative of the series, right? In the first movie we start with "without the rules, we live like the animals" and slowly but surely we see how thick and inane the layers of these rules are as John & friends show people that when the chips are down, no amount of rules or traditions will be as useful to you as sticking by your friends anyways. The fractal layers of rules about rules is supposed to keep the characters from rebelling against the rules because they are designed with enough bullshit to let characters think that they can work within the system by following a different rule, instead of figuring out that the game is rigged and they would be better off flipping the whole game board over. It takes Winston all the way up until he hands Wick that last bullet and says to "just kill him" to figure this out.

That's why the Marquis doesn't just want to kill Wick, but the idea of John Wick - the actual purpose of the web of dumb rules and traditions was to make sure everyone under the High Table viewed their relationship to anyone else in the context of one of the High Table's bonds, or markers or oaths, or whatever. Wick just showed them that actually they can just stick by their friends, rules be damned.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

masterpine posted:

This film rocks. It didn't need to be almost three loving hours though.
I read early on it was going to be 4&5 shot back-to-back. I wonder if that was the original plan but during production they knew they needed Paris to make it truly great.

If they already did all that work for the first half I can see them not wanting to cut, as opposed to if they simply filmed for shorter scenes.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
my god this is long

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
i just got to the warriors dj knock off thinking i was almost at the end of the movie, lol

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The last 45-1 hour kicked so much rear end

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
John Wick 4 ruled pretty hard. They've given the go ahead for John Wick 5.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/john-wick-5-lionsgate-development-1235403474/

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Good pee break spot is after Osaka fights. There’s some exposition that you can basically reason out anyways.

Also this movie made me realize I need to watch the warriors.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

checkplease posted:

Good pee break spot is after Osaka fights. There’s some exposition that you can basically reason out anyways.

Also this movie made me realize I need to watch the warriors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JH1vUJxn8gU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The Warriors rules.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Just make Ninja Gaiden already, my Wick dudes.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Lobok posted:

The Warriors rules.

Walter Hill directing Hard Times, then The Driver and The Warriors, then producing Alien, then directing The Long Riders, Southern Comfort, 48hrs and Streets of Fire is the best run of films from any Action/Suspense filmmaker.

Chad Stahelski could do a incredible remake of Streets of Fire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
The warriors rules and I wish there had been maybe 30 minutes less film before it happened. Or more leaning into the random ridiculous assassin gangs of paris. Who are the paris orphans, or the furies??

A bunch of the action scenes felt like they went on just a touch too long, outside of maybe the overhead shot in Paris