Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

No beholder, not everything was in it.

Its in the credits being killed by a sharpened gourd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Barudak posted:

Its in the credits being killed by a sharpened gourd

Well, something sharp

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I like this movie! I don't think it got classic status but it's very good. Holga using Judo against guards was wonderful.

Very surprised that the Wild Shape Escape isn't getting more love in here. That was a truly fantastic and effective scene!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Tv series is still happening from what we know, also D&D is going to do a free 24 hour streaming channel or something.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
probably your last chance to watch inn theater since it's on streaming

might wanna burn those extra A list bookings cuz let's face it

youre not using them for Knights of the Zodiac

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I like this movie! I don't think it got classic status but it's very good. Holga using Judo against guards was wonderful.

Very surprised that the Wild Shape Escape isn't getting more love in here. That was a truly fantastic and effective scene!

I loved it especially the part where she fills up the armor and looks dorky as hell in it lol

darkspider42
Oct 7, 2004

Best Buy security. You'll have to come with me sir.

Felt like they were channeling a modern Jackie Chan fight.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
It gives me no joy to say this but I have seen the film and it was quite enjoyable.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem
this went to streaming pretty quick, tahnks paramount

i thought it was decent to pretty good but the dragon was clearly the best part and hilarious. bard illusion fuckup was also great

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Neo Rasa posted:

I loved it especially the part where she fills up the armor and looks dorky as hell in it lol

Yes, it was a very clever "this is why Druids don't wear plate mail" gag.

There was honestly quite a bit about this movie I liked a whole lot. It's one of those films that I just liked and was warm on when I saw it, but it has sort of hung around and gained some stature in my mind due to the cleverness of the gags.

My wife has said "Oh, Jarnathan!" a couple of times in mock frustration, so it got her too.

I can absolutely see this becoming a ten year old's Ghostbusters.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?
I think it's a fun, lighthearted movie that does a good job at meeting its goals. Plenty of nice character moments, D&D shoutouts, and fun action. Just the right amount of chintzy and cheap. It really nails the flamboyant visual vibe of the Realms.

I think it may become a minor comedy-fantasy classic. It's got a certain sweetness and deadpan sensibility that might lend it some shelf life.

Love Rat fucked around with this message at 00:51 on May 23, 2023

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Personally I thought the comedy was spot on and had perfect timing. The whole graveyard scene was a riot.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I can absolutely see this becoming a ten year old's Ghostbusters.

the real measure of success for this type of genre movie is "would this change a ten year-old's entire worldview?" and I think this, and Guardians Of The Galaxy are the two recent films that really check that box.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Can't wait to see in about 5-10 years' time that "Jarnathan" will be the most popular baby name.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Bogus Adventure posted:

Can't wait to see in about 5-10 years' time that "Jarnathan" will be the most popular baby name.

*3 bowsers and 1 mario pound palms*

"Let's beat up Jarnathan boys"

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Love Rat posted:

I think it may become a minor comedy-fantasy classic. It's got a certain sweetness and deadpan sensibility that might lend it some shelf life.

Casting someone as charming as Hugh Grant in the role he had was a stroke of genius in getting that balance. I mean the cast just did a great job in general having the characters take their goofy poo poo seriously.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Alan Smithee posted:

*3 bowsers and 1 mario pound palms*

"Let's beat up Jarnathan boys"

Good thing Jarnathan has Holga and Xenk in his corner...

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Bogus Adventure posted:

My wife already proposed this and I had to put the kibosh on it

Her argument was that I'd said I wanted a family name and I played an aaracokra in tabletop

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Also, I should mention that Jarnathan's parents are named Anakin and Ruthkanda

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
Smh at not naming your child Themberchaud

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Neo Rasa posted:

Casting someone as charming as Hugh Grant in the role he had was a stroke of genius in getting that balance. I mean the cast just did a great job in general having the characters take their goofy poo poo seriously.

Grant's been leaning into playing sleazier characters in his later years and he's perfect for it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Maxwell Lord posted:

Grant's been leaning into playing sleazier characters in his later years and he's perfect for it.

Oh yeah, I first saw this take when he did A Very English Scandal* and he's really great there. There's something about his faded but still handsome qualities that work well for these kinds of roles.

*note: not the A Very British Scandal, the show designed to capitalise on similar naming for what I can only imagine were largely venal reasons.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
High Grant being the villain in Paddington 2 was a stroke of brilliance.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The especially brilliant thing about the casting is that they found Hugh Grant to be more charming than Chris Pine (and therefore annoying) and also Reggie to be prettier than Chris Pine (and therefore also, somehow, a little annoying).

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I like how in interviews, Chris will refer to Rege as "the hot one." Pine really is the best.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Welllllll poo poo, that was really good! I wish I was more into D&D, I got so hyped up for it after watching this movie, I started watching some of those youtube videos with Deborah Ann Woll and immediately fell asleep. Movie still ruled at least.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

There are a few YouTube vids of the cast being v charming with each other, they are worth a look.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

ruddiger posted:

Welllllll poo poo, that was really good! I wish I was more into D&D, I got so hyped up for it after watching this movie, I started watching some of those youtube videos with Deborah Ann Woll and immediately fell asleep. Movie still ruled at least.

Maybe give Dimension 20 a go and if that doesn’t do it for you then, yeah, it’s probably not your thing.

https://youtu.be/_zZxCVBi7-k

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Phylodox posted:

Maybe give Dimension 20 a go and if that doesn’t do it for you then, yeah, it’s probably not your thing.

Youtube D&D can be a lot like baseball -- a lot more fun to play yourself than to watch.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Phylodox posted:

This is a solid recommendation.

But yeah, D&D is a lot more fun to play than to watch.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
D&D Youtube/podcasts also depend on your tolerance for theater kids. I love Critical Role and poo poo like that but holy gently caress they are sometimes the most insufferable theater kids.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
For some strange reason I find Call of Cthulhu Actual Plays a lot more listenable than any of the D&D stuff I ever tried, even though most of the players/GMs in the big D&D shows are way better at it than I'll ever be.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Thanks for the recs, gonna check them all out!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I watched DAD HAT tonight. What an incredibly fun movie. To think a fantasy film with such a populist bent - and an adaptation of known cursed brand D&D, no less! - would turn out so well. Clever, good-looking, well-paced, and full of charming performances and inventive action.

Silentgoldfish
Nov 5, 2008
I must have misheard something but I spent the whole movie thinking Michelle Rodriguez's character was meant to be a Dwarf, turns out she's just a lot shorter that I realised.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Silentgoldfish posted:

I must have misheard something but I spent the whole movie thinking Michelle Rodriguez's character was meant to be a Dwarf, turns out she's just a lot shorter that I realised.

Hey just because the majority of short people are actually just mythical creatures doesn't mean all of them are.

That's called stereotyping and that's bad. :colbert:

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Silentgoldfish posted:

I liked the interview where she said she was bothered to be offered the role of Barbarian, thinking of herself as a forest druid or something.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Rodriguez & Lillis swapping roles would make for an interesting film…

Bongo Bill posted:

I watched DAD HAT tonight.
ok that is a good acronym. :golfclap:

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
As much as I love Michelle Rodriguez it is a little tiresome that she's always typecast so it would have been nice if she *was* a druid. Then again it would just end up being an angry glowering monosybellic druid not a happy smiling tree hugging one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

It would have been cool to see Rodriguez in a different type of role, but I think Holga was possibly one of her most sincere and kindest characters yet. It's a far cry from her tough soldier role in Resident Evil or Letty from the Fast franchise. She's a simple woman who wants to be loved and eat her potatoes in peace.