Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Now I'm picturing Golbez waiting impatiently in the Lunar Palace rafters for Cecil to get there so he can make his grand entrance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Atop Fusoya’s corpse, I imagine.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Skanker posted:

I see some curious new spells in Tellah's list, exciting! 45 MP is the height of trolling. Can you farm Soma Drops (easily) in this hack?

Not as far as I'm aware. I only found a couple of HP-boosting items in chests, nothing else since.

Also I beat the game right after Palom got all three -aga spells so I didn't really get to check out some of the new stuff. But I saved the Tellah save so I can always recheck, or rather I'll check once I dig through the game later on.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

Skanker posted:

I see some curious new spells in Tellah's list, exciting! 45 MP is the height of trolling. Can you farm Soma Drops (easily) in this hack?

Fenrir posted:

Tellah's HP is awful but his MP skyrockets. He surpasses the twins and even Rydia sometime in the 40s, even if they have a significant lead in levels.

We already had a discussion about Tellah's usefulness a couple of pages ago, so there's sort-of your answer. I don't think he gets any better in vanilla FF4 if you powerlevel him, though, just so that he can never cast Meteo.

SirSystemError
Jan 3, 2018

When I was a kid, the guys the Ship'sAI are a palette swap of always reminded me of Ivan Ooze from the Power Rangers movie.

Tellah does unfortunately still kinda sucks in vanilla FF4 if you powerlevel him. FuSoYa actually does eventually start getting MP, but Tellah never gains any. So unless you feed him a bunch of Soma Drops he won't have any more than 90.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Epicmissingno posted:

We already had a discussion about Tellah's usefulness a couple of pages ago, so there's sort-of your answer. I don't think he gets any better in vanilla FF4 if you powerlevel him, though, just so that he can never cast Meteo.
Correct. In Vanilla FF4, he has 90 MP and it will never change even if you level him way beyond the normal range just so it doesn't wreck the storyline if you over-leveled. I'm pretty sure Soma Drops (+max MP item) are not available until afterwards either.

However, if you cheat in Soma Drops or change his MP, he can cast Meteo in normal battles without trouble. Doesn't change the storyline of course.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Does anyone use Meteo though? That charge time is ridiculous, especially with Flare and Quake being instant and Bahamut almost as strong as Meteo

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Funny thing is that even before Tellah casts Meteo, he's already out of MP. He casts all three of the top elemental spells (30MP apiece) and Bio, which IIRC costs 20 or 25. So he's cheating even before Meteo enters into it.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Just finished reading the thread. This seemed like an interesting hack, but I really have to wonder why the creator reused the four fiends sprites for the underworld crystals rather than using bosses he cut out. Off the top of my head, Calcabrina, the king and queen of Eblan, Leviathan and Ashura are all unused, and the Dark Elf is used as a box monster in the ice cave.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

In the DS version, you actually can boost him past 99 MP with Soma Drops you get from fully exploring dungeon maps, though I forget if you can manage that before some pain in the rear end fights (like Dark Elf).

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Does anyone use Meteo though? That charge time is ridiculous, especially with Flare and Quake being instant and Bahamut almost as strong as Meteo

I did when I first played. I was eleven or twelve, though, so the concept of "good decisions" was still a ways off.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I didn't realize that Quake was fast-cast, but Flare pretty clearly was the winner for sustained DPS, with Bahamut coming out against groups or enemies with reflect. Hell, I spammed Bio against randoms because it also casts noticeably faster than other spells.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I didn't realize that Quake was fast-cast, but Flare pretty clearly was the winner for sustained DPS, with Bahamut coming out against groups or enemies with reflect. Hell, I spammed Bio against randoms because it also casts noticeably faster than other spells.

Bio's pretty rad to have in FF4 regardless of version. It's noticeably good power for when you get it but can do some decent work up towards mid-end game as a mob clearer.

SirSystemError
Jan 3, 2018

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

It has uses if you're using Palom in the GBA version, are up against something with Reflect, and Quake doesn't cut it. So...very narrow uses. It's always fun to cast in any case.

Kemix posted:

Bio's pretty rad to have in FF4 regardless of version. It's noticeably good power for when you get it but can do some decent work up towards mid-end game as a mob clearer.

Speaking of mob clearers, an underrated one is Break. It can surprisingly enough be multitargetted, is super cheap, and works fairly often on many things.

SirSystemError fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Feb 26, 2018

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

ultrafilter posted:

I did when I first played. I was eleven or twelve, though, so the concept of "good decisions" was still a ways off.
Right. That 9999 damage to all enemies looks super sweet and awesome and clearly better than some crummy 5000 damage from other spells when you’re new to RPGs.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Randalor posted:

Just finished reading the thread. This seemed like an interesting hack, but I really have to wonder why the creator reused the four fiends sprites for the underworld crystals rather than using bosses he cut out. Off the top of my head, Calcabrina, the king and queen of Eblan, Leviathan and Ashura are all unused, and the Dark Elf is used as a box monster in the ice cave.

Remember that the hack was a demonstration of what the creator's tool could do. So in this case at a guess it'd be 'add entirely new enemies/sprites to the game, even if they're just recolors'.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Yeah, those bosses were more about the AI script changes than sprite changes. Besides, it makes sense from a ROM hack standpoint that the remix bosses would just be recolors.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

SirSystemError posted:

Speaking of mob clearers, an underrated one is Break. It can surprisingly enough be multitargetted, is super cheap, and works fairly often on many things.

Yeah, Break was my go-to trash clearer in late-game FF4 DS.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Just passed the Sealed Cave in FFIV DS. Draw Attacks + Counter has made the goings-on so much easier to deal with than Vanilla FF4, in some cases. The multitarget spells and enemy abilities being stronger still blows, though.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I would replay the FF4 DS port if i could get a save on the third(!!!) run with all the augments available.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Yeah, those bosses were more about the AI script changes than sprite changes. Besides, it makes sense from a ROM hack standpoint that the remix bosses would just be recolors.

Yeah, I understand the logic behind it, and I know that it would be a decent short-hand way for the player to have an idea of what to expect from each of them, it just feels like a bit of a waste to cut unique boss sprites and then throw in some recolored bosses.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Bonus Chapter 2 - Dark Knight Run with "Default" Party

Our next run will feature the party we start with once we unlock the Big Whale. We'll also be sticking with Dark Knight Cecil, which changes the ending quite a bit.

First off, quick looting at the Mythril Cave and Bahamut's Moon Base so we're kinda geared up for the upcoming gauntlet.

Of course we can't actually help Yang fight with a full party. I mean, we're already down in the middle of nowhere for no good reason, we obviously aren't that busy.

The twins pick up more magic, nothing that interesting. By the end, Palom will have just learned his last -aga spell.

You don't get the Ragnarok unless you change to Paladin. You can still unlock the shop for arrows and shurikens, though.

I could not be more proud of you, my son, but desperate times call for desperate measures. You will never be able to destroy Golbez once and for all as long as you wield the dark sword.

You still get Excalibur from beating Odin.

Porom's Bonk! move gives an ally a random buff. Eh.

The fiends are a bit harder since this party hasn't done as much grinding, but they're no issue.

Since Kain's not there to insta-gib this mofo, we have to fight the Shadow Dragon.

All he does are counters and insta-death attacks. No biggie.

Apparently he can drop the Cursed Ring, which absorbs all elements but lowers all stats by 5, though apparently you can upgrade it to a broken-rear end Hero Ring somehow. Oh well, not gonna worry about it now.

You'll need more than crystals to match my genius!
Power is nothing without compassion...
My parents...my people who risked their lives... It is time for you to take responsibility!

And Golbez goes now. Now, though, things change.

You, who are without mercy, now plead for it!?
Wait, You don't understand! In my lust for power... I... I awakened an unspeakable evil spirit...too powerful to control... It waits in the moon's core and seeks to destroy the Earth... It feeds on hatred and violence. If you kill me in revenge, it will become even stronger... It will gain the power it needs to release itself from the confines of the moon... Please, Cecil...
The crystals are under your control now... I have no monsters, no airships, no followers... My life is in your hands. Do with me as you will...

Return to Earth and see the Elder of Mysidia. He will decide your fate.

...wait What did we just loving do

We let the loving villain walk away and literally told him to take our only transportation to Mysidia to be judged based on him saying "Oh there's actually a bigger bad further in you gotta believe me." What in the god drat gently caress, Cecil.

Though it's interesting that Dark Knight Cecil is compassionate enough to let Golbez live, while Paladin Cecil flat-out killed Golbez.

I'm gonna breeze through the final dungeon because little changes tactics-wise.

All the Crystal gear is replaced with Hades gear, each boosting Wisdom by 5 and reducing Holy damage. The Hades Shield boosts Agility, Wisdom, and Will by 15.

This beauty is tied with Lightbringer for strongest weapon in the game, except it also boosts all stats by 15 and inflicts instant death.

Let's jump right to Zeromus.

I won't let you destroy the Earth!
HA HA HA! Good luck, Earthling!

Fool! My Dark Barrier can never be dispelled by a man of darkness!

Things don't go so well this time.

...Suffer...And...perish... My hatred will last until I destroy all... Now it's your turn... Come into my darkness!

Suddenly...uh...

So, uh, this ain't Cecil...

Oh yeah Golbez is a Paladin now. Sure, why not.

My light has made Zeromus temporarily vulnerable... Go, Cecil! Destroy this evil!

Battle goes same as before.

We did it!
Glad that's over! Sheesh!
Me too, but... I'm a little haunted by what he said...
In order to fool Golbez, I did many things I'm ashamed of. I'm sure it gained power from me.

Thank you for your help.
It doesn't make up for everything I've put you through...put everyone on Earth through...
Golbez...

So we end with Cecil forgiving Cecil.

With the twins not petrified, King Santos fulfills his destiny.

And with Kain around, we get to see Cecil's wedding-day jitters.

Otherwise the only other difference is Kain being at the wedding as Cecil's best man.

And instead of the various other characters returning the crystals, now it's Paladin Golbez.

And that's it for that run!

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Feb 28, 2018

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Mega64 posted:

Do wtih me as you will...

Oh yeah Golbez is a Paladin now. Sure, why not.

"I mean, I had penultimate JRPG boss stats and stuff. Only took like five minutes. Honestly, I'm amazed you took so long getting here, I managed to solo this entire dungeon in like a third of the time it took your entire party. I could probably singlehandedly destroy Zeromus here, but, hey, you kids have fun ok?"

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

nah, golbez would have started at level 1 after becoming a paladin. he just ran from every fight while Cecil and company were stuck in random encounters.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Feb 28, 2018

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

That ending is kind of nuts, but I dig the way its twist underscores the themes of atonement and personal transformation from the original game

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Golbez sure went back to Earth, climbed up Mt. Ordeals, became a Paladin, climbed down Mt. Ordeals, went back to the Moon, through the dungeon and to Cecil's party at record speed here. Was he playing with fast-forward on or something?

Reusing Cecil's Paladin sprite there is pretty lazy too but I guess this hack doesn't have any new spritework in the first place. And it is a nice theme to have even if it's executed really clumsily.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Honestly, the series does handle the Cecil/Golbez relationship pretty well, but my favorite is in battle. But that's for The After Years thread. Anyone got a time machine?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

To be honest Paladin Cecil got like twice as strong at Level 1 than what DK Cecil was when he got there. So Boss stat Golbez would be a monster and get crazier with each level up.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Blaze Dragon posted:

Golbez sure went back to Earth, climbed up Mt. Ordeals, became a Paladin, climbed down Mt. Ordeals, went back to the Moon, through the dungeon and to Cecil's party at record speed here. Was he playing with fast-forward on or something?

Reusing Cecil's Paladin sprite there is pretty lazy too but I guess this hack doesn't have any new spritework in the first place. And it is a nice theme to have even if it's executed really clumsily.

With how long it took me to get Tellah at a reasonable level it made sense him showing up. :v:

I'm really hoping that Solo DCecil fights Zeromus with Golbez.

EDIT:

Mega64 posted:

I could not be more proud of you, my son, but desperate times call for desperate measures. You will never be able to destroy Golbez once and for all as long as you wield the dark sword.

Love how they hint at keeping Golbez alive.

GenderSelectScreen fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Feb 28, 2018

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012
Obviously Golbez tried to sequence break and Zeromus warped him straight to the end of his plot.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
All Golbez has to do is go up and down some stairs 64 times and he can go wherever the hell he wants.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
I wonder if he also used a carrot and a trash can on ordeals...

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Fenrir posted:

I wonder if he also used a carrot and a trash can on ordeals...

Nah, we killed sculmiglionilione. He did dancing dagger shiv'd Dark Golbez though.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Figure it'd be fun to stream myself playing the solo Cecil runs, so tomorrow, Sunday March 4 at 1pm Eastern Standard Time I'll stream the Paladin Cecil run on my Twitch page. I'll likely be doing the Dark Knight Cecil run the following Sunday at the same time.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Mega64 posted:

Figure it'd be fun to stream myself playing the solo Cecil runs, so tomorrow, Sunday March 4 at 1pm Eastern Standard Time I'll stream the Paladin Cecil run on my Twitch page. I'll likely be doing the Dark Knight Cecil run the following Sunday at the same time.

Will it be rendered into screenshot form or uploaded to youtube eventually? I think I have prior engagements around that time.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Definitely plan to do a SSLP update for each run as usual, though it'll probably gloss over the final dungeon a bit other than interesting fights for Cecil and of course dialogue/ending changes. I'll likely also edit the stream into 20-30 minute chunks depending on good stopping points and gradually upload them on Youtube throughout the week.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Will you post here/on Twitter when it starts? I'm bad at remembering I have to do stuff in specific times.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

That's the plan!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Pretty much live!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Somehow that was both bafflingly bizarre and antagonizingly anticlimatic.

Thanks for everyone who watched! I'll edit and upload the stream through the week and should have the SSLP update up at some point next week too. And I still plan to stream the DK Cecil run next Sunday at 1pm EST!

e: For those curious, the stream itself took nearly three hours with plentiful fast forwarding (though the last 30 minutes or so were kinda pointless), while the actual gameplay footage fills...6 hours 45 minutes.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 4, 2018

• Locked thread