Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

After repeated attempts I cleared out the Old Sawmill horde, using all my explosives and molotovs in the process. And it didn't count, because I guess one or two zombies from the horde had wandered off somewhere.

I spent over half an hour driving around a large area around the sawmill killing any zombies I encountered, but I guess I didn't find the right ones.

RIP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

After repeated attempts I cleared out the Old Sawmill horde, using all my explosives and molotovs in the process. And it didn't count, because I guess one or two zombies from the horde had wandered off somewhere.

I spent over half an hour driving around a large area around the sawmill killing any zombies I encountered, but I guess I didn't find the right ones.

RIP.

Sawmill is a story horde. You'll get credit for killing it off eventually. There's another one at the big mass grave in west Iron Butte that's the same deal.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Welp.

I really wish I'd known that before dumping 500 kilos of munitions into those zombies.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Welp.

I really wish I'd known that before dumping 500 kilos of munitions into those zombies.

Don't worry about it. When you go back for the story mission you'll have to kill a tiny amount and it'll consider the mission done. I did exactly the same thing you did. Same with the other story horde, i just drove by and Deacon started talking about how its all cleared out while sounding exhausted.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I assumed it was off limits until later on as you get a cutscene with characters all saying "This place is loving packed, stay the hell away Deacon"

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I just took that as a challenge, tbh. Sadly no other horde in the game seems to use any of the mechanics of that horde.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

dogstile posted:

Don't worry about it. When you go back for the story mission you'll have to kill a tiny amount and it'll consider the mission done. I did exactly the same thing you did. Same with the other story horde, i just drove by and Deacon started talking about how its all cleared out while sounding exhausted.

The open world barks and comments in general are janky as gently caress. Half the time I drive through an area with nests I've cleared out ages ago Deacon will go "oof, nests, I can smell 'em" or "well... I guess I'll come back to burn the nests later". And a few mission-related radio calls have repeated 3-4 times.

dogstile posted:

I just took that as a challenge, tbh. Sadly no other horde in the game seems to use any of the mechanics of that horde.

Same. If you tell me to keep clear, I just want to kill those zombies even more.

I have to say, the machine gun is pretty neat by the way. Sadly I only have a machine gun I looted from an elite ripper so I can't reload it from gun safes, but it's still a fun weapon.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Do you have panniers on your bike?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The Lone Badger posted:

Do you have panniers on your bike?

The reload thingy? Yeah I've got that, and it's a godsent.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The horde in the rebel rock cave or whatever spooked the hell out of me, it was already dark and moody, so hearing all the chompy chattering and stuff, then rounding some of the rocks and seeing this huge mass of them under the little light opening in the roof was a skipped heartbeat.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
Too bad we aren't getting a sequel, I really enjoyed this game. Sure, it doesn't match up to something like TLOU2 in terms of production quality, but then it's also not completely loving miserable to play which is a pretty drat big plus. Only real problems I had were phone calls being weird and occasionally having trouble tracking down the last couple of freaks in a horde.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

At what point does the game stop tutorializing and let you get to the open world part? I just got my new bike in the first camp, and it's been just hand holdy enough to not grab me yet.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

I think you're just about done with the handholding at that point. Iirc Cope gives you a mission and then you're free to go.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Kruller posted:

At what point does the game stop tutorializing and let you get to the open world part? I just got my new bike in the first camp, and it's been just hand holdy enough to not grab me yet.

It's not a complete open world either though. Or at least, there will be a limited number of missions you can really do at any given time, which are appropriate for your level in terms of gear.

Yarrington
Jun 13, 2002

While I will admit to a certain cynicism, I am a nay-sayer and hatchet man in the fight against violence. I pride myself in taking a punch and I'll gladly take another.
Been playing this since it's free on PS collection and its kind of good?

I'm really curious to know about previous drafts of the plot, it seems extremely clear that at one point it was a super grim game, with Deacon as a straight up antihero before getting softened out presumably due to feedback. It really kills the whole Carlos reveal, since there's no loving way they didn't have a lengthy flashback in there showing Deacon and Boozer torturing him. I don't even think Jessie is mentioned before the reveal which is kind of shockingly incompetent. There's a lot of stuff that's really really close to working well but just kind of whiffs.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Yarrington posted:

I'm really curious to know about previous drafts of the plot, it seems extremely clear that at one point it was a super grim game, with Deacon as a straight up antihero before getting softened out presumably due to feedback. It really kills the whole Carlos reveal, since there's no loving way they didn't have a lengthy flashback in there showing Deacon and Boozer torturing him. I don't even think Jessie is mentioned before the reveal which is kind of shockingly incompetent. There's a lot of stuff that's really really close to working well but just kind of whiffs.

From what I've seen they were developing the tone as they went. In interviews with the lead character actor he mentions that they started with more quippy and jokey dialog before settling into a more serious tone as they narrowed the game down.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Yarrington posted:

I agree with all of that spoiler text. It's not really even mentioned in the chats leading up to it.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Yeah I thought I'd missed something prior when that came up, a connection with an antagonist like that can be pretty cool, but you need at least a little to go on beforehand for a big "OH poo poo, YOU'RE THEM" moment to actually pop at all.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Just played through again, and still enjoyed it.
On the subject of poor storytelling, like the Ripper reveal mentioned, I also found it a bit odd the way Sarah's storyline went. "Oh no, my work might have helped destroy the human race! I'm devastated! But hey, let's not really mention that much again I guess."
It's a huge, long game* but you do get the feeling that a few plot lines were left unfinished or at least poorly explored.

Still, I'll probably play it all again sooner or later.

* unlike "Spiderman : Miles Morales", which was fun but surprisingly short.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Stoatbringer posted:

Just played through again, and still enjoyed it.
On the subject of poor storytelling, like the Ripper reveal mentioned, I also found it a bit odd the way Sarah's storyline went. "Oh no, my work might have helped destroy the human race! I'm devastated! But hey, let's not really mention that much again I guess."
It's a huge, long game* but you do get the feeling that a few plot lines were left unfinished or at least poorly explored.

Still, I'll probably play it all again sooner or later.

* unlike "Spiderman : Miles Morales", which was fun but surprisingly short.

Given unlimited money and time I'm fairly certain the game would have not only been way bigger in the post-apocalypse but there probably would have been a full linear action-stealth title just before/during the apocalypse on top of the flashbacks we already got. Like the intro to Last of Us but hours and hours long.

I've mentioned it before but my favorite moment of "We need to put this somewhere and I don't care where" is when Deacon is having his big emotional coming to grips with his dead wife moment in the church in a pre-rendered cutscene which is abruptly cut in half by the appearance of some random bandits because they needed to include the tutorial for fighting the armored enemies you're about to start seeing somewhere. You kill them and it goes right back to the pre-rendered cutscene almost exactly where it was cut before the fight.

There's plenty of flaws and I'm well aware of them and don't excuse them and don't begrudge anyone who can't get over them but there's just enough of something for me to at least like Days Gone.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Did those enemies really show up the rest of the game? I actually can't remember them. Maybe they were the people i just hucked nades at.

I think my biggest problem with the game is that i played through the whole thing and for the life of me i can barely remember any of it.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I don't know what I hate more, the goddamn sniper ambushes or the fact that I'm attacked by wolves every goddamn time I leave a camp. Deacon's nickname in the biker gang bust have been wolfbait.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

So there could be a Days Gone movie in the works :

https://www.ign.com/articles/sony-is-working-on-a-days-gone-movie

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

How about a loving sequel. Priorities here Sony.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

I just discovered an interesting little feature I'd never seen before. When the weather changes to a full-on blizzard (heavy snow, strong wind), it kills freakers. I was fighting a small horde during a blizzard and as they were running towards me they would just slow down and drop dead, I guess just freezing to death. I suppose the blizzard condition is fairly rare so you just don't notice this happening normally.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself

Kibayasu posted:

I've mentioned it before but my favorite moment of "We need to put this somewhere and I don't care where" is when Deacon is having his big emotional coming to grips with his dead wife moment in the church in a pre-rendered cutscene which is abruptly cut in half by the appearance of some random bandits because they needed to include the tutorial for fighting the armored enemies you're about to start seeing somewhere. You kill them and it goes right back to the pre-rendered cutscene almost exactly where it was cut before the fight.

This section is just hilarious. It's this big emotional cutscene that's interrupted by a random firefight and then goes right back to another cutscene as if nothing happened at all.

I enjoy the game, warts and all, but it's very obvious that they ended up needing to cut a lot of corners when it came to the storytelling. There are plenty of times where you can tell that there was going to be some sort of morality system in play where you needed to make a choice but instead there's just kind of an awkward little pause in the scene before it keeps on going. They did manage to fit in a ton of story though, it's impressive how big the game is.

I do wish they had ended up getting a sequel. The big selling point of the game was the horde action and they really nailed that - fighting hordes was really thrilling and tense every time. Riding the bike felt really fantastic too, once you got it upgraded enough. Plus hearing Deacon's constant, unhinged ranting was very entertaining.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

el oso posted:

I enjoy the game, warts and all, but it's very obvious that they ended up needing to cut a lot of corners when it came to the storytelling.

Yeah, like Sarah's big revelation and emotional scene in her old lab was pretty well done, but then it's never mentioned again, and it did feel like was a subject that would certainly make an appearance in a sequel, as well as her plans for finding a cure.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

el oso posted:

I do wish they had ended up getting a sequel. The big selling point of the game was the horde action and they really nailed that - fighting hordes was really thrilling and tense every time. Riding the bike felt really fantastic too, once you got it upgraded enough. Plus hearing Deacon's constant, unhinged ranting was very entertaining.

The bike mechanics feel so good. They really nailed it.

Days Gone was definitely one of my favorite games of the past 10 years, sad that so many people still refuse it simply because of the lovely launch :(

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Stoatbringer posted:

Yeah, like Sarah's big revelation and emotional scene in her old lab was pretty well done, but then it's never mentioned again, and it did feel like was a subject that would certainly make an appearance in a sequel, as well as her plans for finding a cure.

Basically all of those scenes have no payoff at all. Deacon (and friends) torturing a guy so badly he went on to create a post-apocalyptic cult? No time to explore that whole thing just shove it into what amounts to a single line and get to the boss fight.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

So I just helped Skizzo raid a mine for some TNT, roughly how far along would I you say I am to finishing, percentage-wise? Not 100%ing everything just credits rolling. Ty

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Gays Gone (homophobic game)

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

It failed because of woke journalists

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Gays Gone (homophobic game)

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

It failed because of woke journalists

thank you

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Endless Trash posted:

So I just helped Skizzo raid a mine for some TNT, roughly how far along would I you say I am to finishing, percentage-wise? Not 100%ing everything just credits rolling. Ty

Story wise that's roughly a third of the way through, I'd say. It's a very long story.

E: thinking about it more, maybe more like a quarter. Call it 25-30%

Gadzuko fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jan 27, 2023

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Kibayasu posted:

Basically all of those scenes have no payoff at all. Deacon (and friends) torturing a guy so badly he went on to create a post-apocalyptic cult? No time to explore that whole thing just shove it into what amounts to a single line and get to the boss fight.

That does get more than a single line, there's a poo poo ton of mystery as to why you in particular are being targeted so hard, its only when you get to the end that they go "oh yeah, this loving guy" and kill him.

I'm actually kind of happy they didn't do a ton of exposition. I kinda gathered what was going on by the time the big reveal happened just from the world building.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Endless Trash posted:

When you move to a brand new map section with even more icons to clear you'll be about 2/3's-ish done. Until then you're not even close.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Might be how well they captured the biome, but I'm loving the gently caress out of this stupid game.

Wish there was a "weird combat taunts" dial for Deacon tho

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

Been seeing some recent YouTubes about Sony giving Bend Studios the green light for a sequel. :dance:

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Stoatbringer posted:

Been seeing some recent YouTubes about Sony giving Bend Studios the green light for a sequel. :dance:

That'd be cool, Days Gone has just been there quietly building a neat reputation for itself in the background over the years, so I would be interested to see what a possible sequel would bring to the table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh no way! I loved this game. It was such a surprise hit among the AAA Sony catalog. I don't know if I've played a game that pairs the developers' own local history with the story like this.

If I could wax poetic about it for a sec, the setting actually was quite touching. The pieces of Oregon history from around the Bend area that they chose for Days Gone's historical markers are really clever, and all real places you can visit. Waldo Lake seems like it goes on forever. Crater Lake is enormous in person and gorgeous, and wizard Island looks exactly like it does in the game. It's almost spooky sometimes how utterly much love there is to be found. Even that fella who hangs around the camps singing folk punk is a real artist from Bend, Oregon.

I really hope Bend Studio gets the chance to do this specific thing all over again.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 18, 2023