Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Smik posted:

No I didn't.

Oh, I didn't think that was mine, as I had not requested one at that point.

This is great! :D

So, thanks a lot and request withdrawn!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

Basically the moment you post in the thread, you get added to my queue which is why the very first post of "I don't want a fairy" got the Belligerent Fairy. It's also why some of the fairies don't match the request since for simplicity I just jot down the first occurrence of a poster's handle for my list and then when I finish a sketch I jot down the fairy's name.

Been drawing a blank (pardon the pun) on CurlingIron's fairy. Tried to take another stab but I'm outta juice tonight. I'll think of something tomorrow.

curlingiron
Dec 15, 2006

b l o o p

Smik posted:

Basically the moment you post in the thread, you get added to my queue which is why the very first post of "I don't want a fairy" got the Belligerent Fairy. It's also why some of the fairies don't match the request since for simplicity I just jot down the first occurrence of a poster's handle for my list and then when I finish a sketch I jot down the fairy's name.

Been drawing a blank (pardon the pun) on CurlingIron's fairy. Tried to take another stab but I'm outta juice tonight. I'll think of something tomorrow.

I teach math, so a math fairy would be cool. Or the Sisyphean fairy, since your list keeps getting longer.

Really whatever works though, and no rush if you need a break. Thanks so much for the thread! :3:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Just don't do an oedipean fairy, the internet has got that covered many many times over.

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

curlingiron posted:

Sorry to add to your list, but I’d love a fairy. :3: You already made a cat fairy, so dealer’s choice.

This took me a bit to figure out; a blank slate's a lot harder for me.

The Jellyfish Fairy

Mischievous blurbles

Saltwater fairies are in the minority in the Fairylands; fairies are not fond of salt (especially the Unseelie). The Jellyfish Fairy is an example of a borderline Unseelie fairy -- not truly malicious but often indifferent and definitely dangerous to humans, much like a mermaid. That said, she is capable of gifting a variation of immortality to her favourites (of course there's a catch). That's not to say she dislikes humanity, to the contrary she likes humans quite a lot as she enjoys them both as lovers and as a favourite food, usually in that order.

Also she's online, tapping into various submarine communication cables. She takes advantage of moonless nights to come close to shore and takes various nude and suggestive photographs of herself while using a human glamour, then uses this photos for online dating sites. Like all fairies, she's incapable of direct lies but she still manages to catfish hapless humans through a combination of omissions and humanity's general horniness. Once the prey arrives at a particular beach, she reveals herself. More often than not she successfully seduces her prey because people are horny.

If you are interested in dating the Jellyfish Fairy and wish to survive more than one encounter it's advised to get to know her very well first.

If you're curious about the immortality process, please note it involves turning you into a half-Jellyfairy-female and a little cannibalism both on your part and hers.

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

curlingiron posted:

I teach math, so a math fairy would be cool. Or the Sisyphean fairy, since your list keeps getting longer.

Really whatever works though, and no rush if you need a break. Thanks so much for the thread! :3:

Heh, well by the time I read this I had already sketched up the Jellyfish Fairy so I hope that's OK. She's a bit on the unusual side.

curlingiron
Dec 15, 2006

b l o o p

Smik posted:

Heh, well by the time I read this I had already sketched up the Jellyfish Fairy so I hope that's OK. She's a bit on the unusual side.

She’s wonderful! :kimchi: And yeah, I even thought I should have given you more to work with in my original post, sorry. I used to draw dinosaurs for my students every week and eventually you just run out of ideas. I really love the Jellyfish Fairy, though!

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

Slaan posted:

I swear I thought I posted for a fairy a long time ago but now I can't find a request by me. So I'll add it here. I apparently need an absent minded fairy

The Thought-Thieving Goblin

"Just pay me no mind, heh heh heh..."

You were probably nailed by the Thought-Thieving Goblin. She's an accomplished thought thief of thoughts, but thought-theft's not an exact science so a lot of little ones like "Post to request a fairy" get stolen along with the dream you had last night, and one of the items on your grocery list. She's got a mess of techniques such as sneaking them while you're sleeping, the use of various narcotics, waiting until you're using narcotics, and various distractions. When she pounces, she often takes your memory of seeing her as well.

Fairies are not creative and nowhere near as clever as they'd like you to believe they are, hence a great demand for the Thought-Thieving Goblin's pilfered goods.

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

MACAW.AVI posted:

Platypus Fairy (or a general Fairy of Weird-Looking Creatures Who Still Deserve Love)

Perry the Fairy Platypus

*Platypus sounds*

What's this?

A platypus?

A fairy platypus?

PERRY THE FAIRY PLATYPUS?!?!

FAIRY P!
*cue theme sting*

How unexpected to see a Perry the Platypus in this forum thread -- AND BY UNEXPECTED I MEAN COMPLETELY EXPECTED!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

gently caress it, I'll ride this train

Whoever
Jul 26, 2007
Your drawing skills are fantastic. Could I request an alligator fairy?

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

SpookyTurtle posted:

Could we get an Extinction Event Fairy? Someone needs to manage the asteroids and ice ages, and maybe even curate the countless lost species.

So we're going to dip into the lore I've been working on for a work of fiction for this instead of sketching up a specific apocalyptic fairy, since one of the major plot points is that the fairies would have caused an extinction event themselves.

Fairy That Would Cause an Extinction Event

Immortality was a mistake.

Fairies are immortal, and many are difficult to kill through conventional means. Not only is this a major problem in terms of overpopulation, but it's an even bigger problem after they've existed for too long as their equivalent of a brain stem -- the aspect of their being concerned with their continued existence -- begins to become malignant and starts take over. This aspect can eventually overtake the fairy's own consciousness, trapping them in their manifest form and growing like a cancer. If left unchecked their power and size will continue to grow, seeking to overtake and absorbing everything else into them.

All this is due to the manifestation of Death. Mortals need not worry about ever encountering the Grim Reaper mainly because they're extremely capable at dying all on their own without help, not even considering the number of other mortals all too willing to assist the eventual breakdown of their bodies. Fairies on the other hand know Death will eventually stalk them, so they've become exceptionally good at hiding. The older they get, the more resources they pour into evading the spectre of Death that is constantly tracking them after their time has come.

Interestingly it is the fairies of the Seelie Courts that are the most likely to cause an extinction event due to their general distaste for bloodshed, as old fairies are more likely to try to just expand their influence as much as possible and attempt to weather Death through mass; fairies of the Unseelie Courts prefer to hone their combative skills and meet Death head-on. This focus on building mass causes more of their essence to be focused on managing and growing their form, and thus their 'brain stem equivalent' warps and becomes cancerous, taking over their manifest. Unlike a regular cancerous growth, this uncontrolled growth does not impede vital functions but if left unchecked could engulf the entire Fairylands and beyond.

As fairies are loathe to fight each other directly, they will employ mortals and gift them with either the means or the knowledge of how to end one of their problematic brethren.

In the story I'm working on a faction aligned with the Third Court known as "The Department of Change" takes matters into its own hands to keep things from spiralling out of control, and the protagonists find themselves working for said Department. I had at one time worked on a game where you controlled a group of unrelated heroes trying to kill an extinction fairy by travelling inside its manifest that appeared as a dungeon. The "Character Selection" icon was a butterfly and the reveal would have been that it was the consciousness of the fairy itself, desperately reaching out to find people to kill it.

Smik fucked around with this message at 04:15 on May 31, 2023

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Smik posted:

The Thought-Thieving Goblin

"Just pay me no mind, heh heh heh..."

You were probably nailed by the Thought-Thieving Goblin. She's an accomplished thought thief of thoughts, but thought-theft's not an exact science so a lot of little ones like "Post to request a fairy" get stolen along with the dream you had last night, and one of the items on your grocery list. She's got a mess of techniques such as sneaking them while you're sleeping, the use of various narcotics, waiting until you're using narcotics, and various distractions. When she pounces, she often takes your memory of seeing her as well.

Fairies are not creative and nowhere near as clever as they'd like you to believe they are, hence a great demand for the Thought-Thieving Goblin's pilfered goods.

I knew it wasn't ADHD, it's caused by a darn gobbo! They called me mad. Me! Mad?!

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

Zeniel posted:

I'd like to request a fairy, that is clearly just a moth but in a poor disguise.

"Totally a Fairy"

"And totally not a moth."

The fairy courts accept this fairy because she is totally a fairy and not a moth, and not because they can't resist how drat fluffy and cute she is.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

FACT: It says so right there, NOT A MOTH.
FACT: Moths eat clothes, fairies wear clothes as can be seen.
FACT: Moths famously have poor taste in shoes, this fairy obviously does not.
:colbert:

SpookyTurtle
Jun 13, 2003

Top of the food chain, Ma!

Smik posted:

Fairy That Would Cause an Extinction Event
Immortality was a mistake.

Now that's some backstory. Thank you!
Also, I really enjoy the detail you put into giving each fairy its own theme-appropriate wing design.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Smik posted:

"Totally a Fairy"

The fairy courts accept this fairy because she is totally a fairy and not a moth, and not because they can't resist how drat fluffy and cute she is.

Wonderous. Thank you.

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

Tea Party Crasher posted:

I would like my fairy to be the one responsible for twisting and loving up wires when no one is looking

Oh you're thinking of the Twisted Wire Goblin.

Twisted Wire Goblin

"Nom nom nom"

Twisted Wire Goblins are mischievous but generally harmless little creatures that love to play with wires. They often tangle themselves up in the wires while they chew on them, but being extremely nimble they easily slip out no matter how wrapped up they get into their work. They also corrupt batteries by licking them and occasionally drain their power with their tails. Twisted Wire Goblins are fairyland electricians and can store the energy they siphon, but mostly they just mess with wires for fun.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

That is adorable, you are the man. I love her gnawing little face :swoon:

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Smik posted:

"Totally a Fairy"

Immediately thought of

Happy Pride Moth

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

I. M. Gei posted:

gently caress it, I'll ride this train

I was gonna do something train-related but it didn't seem like the right call.

The Creepy Post Fairy

"I 'ave a problem."

The Creepy Post Fairy is a member of the Unseelie Court both because her influence on humanity is generally malignant and because she really creeps out the Seelie Court (the Third Court just takes issues with her antics). She visits people at night, drills a very tiny hole in their head, pours in her latest posting concoction, and then watches the results. One could very generously describe what she's doing as 'science', but it's more like she's just using the scientific method in her madness. Her confused victims just wonder 'what could have possessed them to post like that?' while she takes notes.

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

Whoever posted:

Your drawing skills are fantastic. Could I request an alligator fairy?

Thank-you!

The Alligator Fairy

Noise that sounds oddly like Galaxian

The Alligator Fairy obviously is a Seelie fairy who brings alligators into the world as her adorable little clones, minus the wings. While some might suggest that bringing alligators is not a benign behaviour because when those babies grow up they can eat your face, others are more appreciative of the mighty beasts. Also she brings them in as adorable little baby gators, that's totally Seelie; adult gators are not her problem.

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

So as of this writing, I've done 112/112 unique requests. I was planning on doing it tomorrow but anxiety and depression were pummelling me so I guess forget sleep for now. I'll be taking a look at some of the extra requests and stuff later, gonna try to sleep for now. I'm happy this thread has been as entertaining to everyone as it has been. Never expected a thread I started mid-April from a one-off joke from a stream would be running into June.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

You've done great, Smik, go get that rest. You deserve it :)

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Honestly thank you for the fun threads with the awesome drawings. I hope your anxiety and depression die down soon.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

If you're looking at extra requests, here's some potential inspiration:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Yeah good job on a great thread op :five:

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Congrats on an inspiring thread :five:

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

What everyone else said! This thread was wonderful smik, thank you for the drawings!

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Smik posted:

The Creepy Post Fairy

"I 'ave a problem."

they all great but what a way to smik the landing

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Realizing I haven’t requested anything and would love to see a Stephen Gammell inspired Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark fairy.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

And Sailor Moon. A Stephen Gammell Sailor Moon crossover fairy.

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Ever done Mab? Queen of the Unseelie? I'd like your take on her

It's like I don't even exist. Draw Mab!

Here, now shut up about her. I'm using the version that might be 1/3 of The Morrigan, or the sister of the Morrigan, depending on who you ask.

So real talk, I haven't yet decided if this is a concept for Badb or Mab since one is a high ranking Unseelie Knight and the other is the Queen of the Wilds, and that's mostly because with the exception of Nem's origin story they're both dead. In case I decide to feature Nem's story as a CYOA I'm not going into too many details here.

What I can tell you is that one of them fell in love with a mortal man who had been spirited away to the Wilds as a punishment (as those sent there are at the mercy of the Unseelie) but unlike others he relished the freedom and decided to stay -- and this impressed her so much that she placed him under her protection, and things progressed from there. The union was not without complications due to fairy cowardice and selfishness.

She has a snake motif due to its symbolism of life and death and I haven't decided if she uses crows yet. In the world she comes from crows and ravens aren't normal creatures but spiritual creatures associated with death and wisdom as they steal the memories of the recent dead, but they can be persuaded to part with them in exchange for gifts or favours. Like the cats and the wolves (also mythological creatures) they seem to operate according to their own hidden agendas.

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

You Are A Elf posted:

And Sailor Moon. A Stephen Gammell Sailor Moon crossover fairy.

Didn't want to make that easy, huh?

The Omen Fairy

"This is an evil place. Leave."

Despite what you might have seen in the movie version of "Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark", the Omen Fairy is Seelie and she does not harm anyone. That said, her unnerving appearance is still a very good reason to run -- you only see her in places of grave danger. She does not appear to people capable of handling themselves in evil places, although she might still warn a hero of potential threats or to lead them to clues.

She has very little power herself, which is why all she can do is warn people away. If you see her, you'll well advised to heed her simple advice.

On a side note, she's a big fan of Sailor Moon because even ominous omen fairies can have a hobby.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Smik posted:

Didn't want to make that easy, huh?

The Omen Fairy

"This is an evil place. Leave."

Despite what you might have seen in the movie version of "Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark", the Omen Fairy is Seelie and she does not harm anyone. That said, her unnerving appearance is still a very good reason to run -- you only see her in places of grave danger. She does not appear to people capable of handling themselves in evil places, although she might still warn a hero of potential threats or to lead them to clues.

She has very little power herself, which is why all she can do is warn people away. If you see her, you'll well advised to heed her simple advice.

On a side note, she's a big fan of Sailor Moon because even ominous omen fairies can have a hobby.

This is dope as hell and I wasn’t expecting something so quickly. I love the little faces in the hair buns. It’s great! :success:

That always bugged me about the movie version of the pale woman, too. Cool practical costume, but terrible altered adaptation of the character in the book.

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

This thread is rad. I love the creativity of all the designs and descriptions.
If you're still taking fairy requests, maybe one for convergent evolution? Who nudges arthropods into crabs, shapes carnivores into weasels, and makes sure anyone who lives in the ocean long enough goes dolphin-shaped?

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

ultrafilter posted:

If you're looking at extra requests, here's some potential inspiration:

Page 2.

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

Last Visible Dog posted:

This thread is rad. I love the creativity of all the designs and descriptions.
If you're still taking fairy requests, maybe one for convergent evolution? Who nudges arthropods into crabs, shapes carnivores into weasels, and makes sure anyone who lives in the ocean long enough goes dolphin-shaped?

There's no single fairy that handles all covergent evolution; each fairy tends to assert their influence in subtle ways over a long period of time. For example, this one handles the weasel family:

This one handles crab and crab-adjacent:

Crab Fairy

"MECH!"

So crabs are just fairy mechs. Some fairies like mechs, and seek to replicate them in the physical world, and there you go. Crabs. They also make them delicious because when they want to pick up some new parts for their mechs, it makes sense to let nature do the heavy lifting and it's just wasteful to toss the fleshy parts otherwise.

You Are A Elf posted:

This is dope as hell and I wasn’t expecting something so quickly.

I'm in a better frame of mind today, but also all the queue's clear and it's too hot to go outside where I am.

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

Haha, awesome! Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKub
May 11, 2006

Smik posted:

The Annoying Fairy?

That's just Navi.

"HEY! LISTEN! HEY! LISTEN!"

This is what Navi actually looks like. The N64's hardware limitations were a mercy.

HAHA that is perfect! Your Bacon Donut one also reminded me of a twitch streamer, Bac0n_D0nut, that I used to watch. Spittin image!

If you're still taking requests, I could go for a spin on a Fairy-go-round.