Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
gReYhOuNdS nEvEr BaRk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LboBFSoIKVE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAZ5MW9z97w

The big dark one is Blue and the other one is Junior. These horses work for a living as outriders - they chase down racehorses that have lost their rider.

david_a fucked around with this message at 21:40 on May 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Look at that tail goooooo

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Veskit posted:

Look at that tail goooooo

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I think Katie may have just dislocated her toe coming down the stairs?! :psyduck:

We had just come downstairs for lunch and my mom noticed she was limping on one of her rear legs. Katie was just laying down when I saw her and I touched her outside toe and was immediately able to pop it back into place (I wasn’t even trying to, I was just trying to feel it because it seemed to be pointing in a weird direction).

Katie never made a sound and walked around moments later (begging for food lol).

I… I guess she’s OK now? Nothing seems swollen and she doesn’t react any differently than normal when I touch her feet.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

david_a posted:

I think Katie may have just dislocated her toe coming down the stairs?! :psyduck:

We had just come downstairs for lunch and my mom noticed she was limping on one of her rear legs. Katie was just laying down when I saw her and I touched her outside toe and was immediately able to pop it back into place (I wasn’t even trying to, I was just trying to feel it because it seemed to be pointing in a weird direction).

Katie never made a sound and walked around moments later (begging for food lol).

I… I guess she’s OK now? Nothing seems swollen and she doesn’t react any differently than normal when I touch her feet.

Congratulations your greyhound is working as intended.

If it had been nothing then she'd have been screaming her fool head off

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

DarkHorse posted:

Congratulations your greyhound is working as intended.

If it had been nothing then she'd have been screaming her fool head off

Thisssss. Not long after I got Rory she was zooming around the yard when she suddenly stopped and s c r e a m e d like she had been shot, then hobbled up to me on three legs. I assumed she had broken an elbow or something so I ran inside to grab my phone and call the vets I worked for. In the ten seconds it took me to find my phone get back outside, she was suddenly completely fine. :psyduck:

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Oh yeah, greyhounds are funny that way. Boudicca will happily munch on her kibble half an hour after getting all her canines removed (and the wounds still bleeding) but heaven forbid you touch her foot.

Gello is just stoic though, she's never screamed for anything. She's more of a typical dog, so if she does a small whimper, I know she's in a lot of pain.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
Yeah Gannon was checking out another dog one time and caught the leash in between his toes and yelped like he was dying. I had to spend a solid minute convincing the poor people that yes he was just being an idiot and no their dog did not horribly injure him.

No reaction any of the times he's actually been injured.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
*gashes leg in what will eventually leave a three in scar and bleeds all over the floor* "HEY GUYS LET ME JUMP ON YOU WE'RE HAVING SO MUCH FUN!"

*smashes tail so hard against shelf that it permanently dislocates the last joint and sprays the walls with Jackson pollack fans of blood" "YAAAAAY HOORAY WHEEEE!!!"

*runs headlong fullspeed into an iron gate he forgot was there in the dark and making me think I'd just killed my dog* "whoa that was kind of weird"

*a leaf gets between his toes* "HELP I AM DYIMG WOE IS ME I SHALL NEVER WALK AGAIN"

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

:lol:

Another one:

The first time I met Rory was at the home of the VP of the local rescue (she was returned to them a couple days after her initial adoption.) I walked in the front door and she was so excited to see me that she tried to hop up and lick my face. Well, I was carrying a drawstring backpack and on one hop she caught the webbing of her toes on one of the bag straps and screamed bloody murder for a solid minute. The VP nervously chuckled and said “well at least now you’ve heard the Greyhound Scream of Death!” Pretty sure she thought I was gonna change my mind on taking this dog home ten seconds after meeting her lol.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I’m more convinced that Katie actually did dislocate her toe yesterday.

She can walk on it fine and doesn’t seem to be obsessed with licking it, but running or jumping is too much. I let her off-leash in with the goats and after jumping in front of one of them once or twice she came up hobbling again. It seems to wear off quick and she was able to take a walk afterwards.

I’ve experienced a broken little toe so the lack of swelling and the fact that she can walk makes me think there’s little chance it’s broken. I’ll prevent her from running for a week and see how she does; I imagine it’s just sore from me popping it back into place.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

david_a posted:

I’m more convinced that Katie actually did dislocate her toe yesterday.

She can walk on it fine and doesn’t seem to be obsessed with licking it, but running or jumping is too much. I let her off-leash in with the goats and after jumping in front of one of them once or twice she came up hobbling again. It seems to wear off quick and she was able to take a walk afterwards.

I’ve experienced a broken little toe so the lack of swelling and the fact that she can walk makes me think there’s little chance it’s broken. I’ll prevent her from running for a week and see how she does; I imagine it’s just sore from me popping it back into place.

Yeah sounds like.

Our other dog has a trick knee that will dislocate on occasion if she tries to corner too hard, usually while playing, and she'll temporarily become a tripod. It doesn't seem to bother her much because she'll hobble over to us, we'll fix her leg, and she'll wag her tail before tearing off again

We call it getting a flat tire and losing four wheel drive :kimchi:

Bonus content:

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 31, 2021

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

DarkHorse posted:

Yeah sounds like.

Our other dog has a trick knee that will dislocate on occasion if she tries to corner too hard, usually while playing, and she'll temporarily become a tripod. It doesn't seem to bother her much because she'll hobble over to us, we'll fix her leg, and she'll wag her tail before tearing off again

We call it getting a flat tire and losing four wheel drive :kimchi:

Yeah that sounds much more severe… From a quick search I think Katie had a “sprung” toe and it’s a very, very common race injury. If she keeps getting it there are more permanent remedies.

quote:

Bonus content:

lol Katie growled at Lucy when she laid down too close to her so she really doesn’t seem like the snuggling type

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Sparty kept whining at me because he wanted to snuggle but there was no room. Finally he just wedged himself between me and the cat

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Awful quiet in here

Today Katie and I got yelled at by a former United States Coast Guard Vice Admiral (he’s got a Wikipedia page and everything). She had the audacity to pee on his lawn. We were on a path by a pond that goes between two houses and I guess she went on the right side (his property) instead of the left side by the pond. I’m a bit out of sorts from being called a jackass out of the blue so I looked up who this person was. I guess he had a hard day at work designing border security systems

Boy the internet is wonderful

Edit: image tax; this was a cute picture from the weekend. No idea what Lucy back there caught wind of

david_a fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jun 4, 2021

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

david_a posted:

Edit: image tax; this was a cute picture from the weekend. No idea what Lucy back there caught wind of

Nothing; she's just pulling a fabulous pose, I bet! :D

Also, that's crazy with the VA! Maybe he just hates dogwalkers? Since I've known a few people who (after people have let dogs poo on their grass a couple of times, without collecting it afterwards) seem to just have a great, bizarre hatred for us dog folk.
Hopefully he just had a bad day and feels better, once the weekend hits. Hey - you could even try to convert him to the greyhound cause! :D

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jun 4, 2021

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Did I mention he was also Vice Commandant (second in command) of the Coast Guard

A charitable reading is that he gets a lot of dog walkers and this was accumulated frustration (is he worried about the grass dying or something?).

My reading is less charitable than that and I don’t want to get shot after talking back to him so we just won’t walk over there anymore.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

david_a posted:

(is he worried about the grass dying or something?).

OK well, the rest of what you said doesn't sound great (on his part, I mean - you're fine, of course) but I kiiinda get where he's coming from with this bit, haha :D Greyhound urine is potent! (Totally overblown though - obviously marking his grass won't do anything to it)

Since I mean, Taz killed some new, healthy-looking Tiger Grass I bought the other week with one long wee. One! TG is meant to be fairly hardy too, considering. I had some more TG from months ago (thankfully Tazo wasn't particularly interested in marking it, early on) which is huge now, so it's big enough that it's able to endure whatever comes its way. But yeah, now I've had to replace the new stuff and surround it with stakes, almost as though I'm a Roman making a palisade to protect my encampment from bloody barbarians, or something

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jun 4, 2021

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
We had a few successes this week (hopefully this doesn’t curse it)! Our girl has been whining and jumping on the bed in the middle of the night. So we have started to ignore her whining and telling her “No!” when she starts to jump up. Seems to be working as only one whine last night and she only tried to jump up once as well.

Also I used the techniques mentioned way back in this thread to me to lure her off something she wasn’t meant to be eating (the dog roll paper she snatched)! Just distracted her with a treat she loves and then grabbed the paper.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Nice, Fred!

Also, just wondering...is it normal for the doggos to respect/like one person in the household more than the other? Since I can understand Tazo preferring me, seeing as I've known him for many years, but Opal much prefers me over my partner. We're both kind to her, of course. I mean, I would've thought she'd prefer my partner tbh, since I'm away from home/at work far more often than she's out, so they get to spend more time together.
But yeah, Opal just...prefers me. She'll be generally more inclined to do what I say/want compared to my partner (like, if my partner wants her to move, or put on her coat she might complain with a cry-roo sound, but she'll typically hop up and do as I ask without a fuss), plus if I'm out apparently she paces in the afternoon around when she expects me to return. Tazo sometimes does this too, but neither are bothered the slightest, when my partner's out.

Either way, it's not problematic for us, I just found it curious. Like, is she simply following Tazo's lead, on who to look up to more? Since Opal basically deferred to Tazo for everything when we first adopted her (oh, Taz is getting excited? Me too! He's going over there now? Me too!), so I guess maybe his preference for me/excitement when I'm around rubbed off on her? I dunno.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
That sounds likely to me. It can also just be personality - if you're a firm, consistent, and confident personality with your training and your partner shows even a little weakness or inconsistency that can make the difference between obedience and trying to cadge some extras. Most people, children, and animals prefer a predictable person over the alternative.

I'm definitely a lot better with training than my spouse so my pets tend to obey me more quickly and consistently. I use the same tone, the same sound, the same inflection, the same hand gestures, and I try to make sure I set them up for success. I also use my tongue to make a click that my partner can't replicate so that's confused them before. It actually frustrates me a little because they get confused a lot now from using the wrong words and gestures ("wait" instead of "stay", pointing down instead of sweeping down, etc)

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Immense donkey energy today

david_a fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jun 5, 2021

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Good girl Katie. Practice that civil disobedience.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Radiation Cow posted:

Good girl Katie. Practice that civil disobedience.

She was the one who wanted to go out!!! <:mad:>

Going to a forest park after lunch was more exciting; no stopping there. I think she would have preferred to walk longer but I was worried the afternoon heat was too much for her (awful lot of panting from her). She’s currently snoozing away at home so I think I made the right call.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
If you wanted to see just how much hotter greyhounds are than regular dogs (because of thin coats) here's a picture I took while messing around with my ir camera

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

small Abby update - she is doing alright, though she is still curling her paws a bit when walking (so you often hear the contact from her nails, even though they are trimmed). I emailed the vet about this and perhaps she will get a higher gabapentin dose. Also a darker stool lately so we'll see what she says!

Hard to believe but August 26th of this year will be our 10 YEAR anniversary!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
A Decade of Doggo :woop:

Congrats! Not everyone has been so fortunate

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

david_a posted:

A Decade of Doggo :woop:

Congrats! Not everyone has been so fortunate

thanks! well we still have 2.5 months though so I hope I didn't jinx it!

I have been extremely lucky for sure, I don't know too many other owners with greyhounds that have gotten to 13.5 years. I did know of one that got to 15. I've met a few of her siblings and I'm pretty sure they have all passed away by this point. There's a woman who helped me a lot with the adoption who had one of her sibs, but the dog passed away at only eight years old. Could have just as easily been Abby!

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

actionjackson posted:

small Abby update - she is doing alright, though she is still curling her paws a bit when walking (so you often hear the contact from her nails, even though they are trimmed). I emailed the vet about this and perhaps she will get a higher gabapentin dose. Also a darker stool lately so we'll see what she says!

Hard to believe but August 26th of this year will be our 10 YEAR anniversary!

Gosh, she's still so beautiful. I absolutely love her deer-like coloring. Glad to hear that she's still doing well-ish. Has she accepted the fact that she's not allowed on the bed yet?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Radiation Cow posted:

Gosh, she's still so beautiful. I absolutely love her deer-like coloring. Glad to hear that she's still doing well-ish. Has she accepted the fact that she's not allowed on the bed yet?

she is! I think so, she doesn't start longingly into the bedroom anymore before laying down, but I still keep the door closed when I'm gone.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

My workshop helper.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

pffffttt haha that face

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

NomNomNom posted:

My workshop helper.

Day #357 of not getting fed/attention/walkies. I am the most abused creature on the planet. I am filled with ennui.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Is this comfortable??

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

NomNomNom posted:

Is this comfortable??

Judging by the face, no - but all life is suffering anyways.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Katie does that since her bed is between the closest and a bureau; I try to build up a little fort with pillows & blankets since it looks awful.

Hot one today so Katie’s been doing her part getting into Euro 2020 by flopping all over the place. I think she laid down four times during our attempted lunch walk. I would have thought she would just want to go back inside again if it’s too hot and not flop down in direct sunlight…

She only got up when she started panting

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Are you making sure the road isn't too hot? It's a major problem for us in South Africa, and is why we never walk between 10:00 and 17:00 in the summer. Essentially, if you can't hold the back of your hand on the road, then its too hot for your doggo.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Radiation Cow posted:

Are you making sure the road isn't too hot? It's a major problem for us in South Africa, and is why we never walk between 10:00 and 17:00 in the summer. Essentially, if you can't hold the back of your hand on the road, then its too hot for your doggo.

I don’t think that was a problem today; there was intermittent cloud cover and a breeze. In the shade it wasn’t that bad. I would think the concrete sidewalks would be better than asphalt too.

Later on in the summer it will probably get horrible enough that it will start to be a concern, along with suffocating humidity.

I haven’t yet tried forcing her to only stay out a tiny bit; I was assuming she would just immediately want to go back in after relieving her.

It’s hard to juggle the temperature vs her exercise needs though. If I wait too long in the evening for a walk, she just wants to go upstairs and go to bed. We started going out in the mornings too, but usually she wants to go back inside and eat breakfast after only a few minutes.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Ah, so just typical greyhound civil disobedience. Can you make any buddies to walk with? Gello hates walking alone and will try go home ASAP. When she's with buddies she has a blast.

Boudicca says hmph to all of that dilly dallying. She knows the true meaning of life is suffering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Dear master… please… go on without me… this life is too much to bear

*one minute later*
OMG tie your shoes faster I want to gooooo

On a less fun note I wanted to see if her toe was better two weeks after she sprung it. Unfortunately the mind was willing to run, but the body was not - she came up limping after a short sprint. After a minute or two she can walk on the foot again, and she doesn’t appear to have anything wrong with her gait (and I haven’t noticed any issues walking in the last two weeks).

A closer inspection of her toe shows it to be swollen and a bit tender (judging by her reaction). I’ve sent an email to the vet; I assume she’ll most likely have to go in to get it looked at.