Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
The final boss of Rising Tide dlc is not only very cool but its also pretty drat tough. I wish the whole game had that level of challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I for one find it disappointing that while we've had Cids who die, FF8 Cid manages to live. Even FF6 Cid can die.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
FFXIII Cid dies but then he's brought back for a scene because they forgot they put him in an FMV towards the end of the game, and then gets killed immediately after.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

ApplesandOranges posted:

I for one find it disappointing that while we've had Cids who die, FF8 Cid manages to live. Even FF6 Cid can die.

Good I'm glad he died, dude was magic steampunk proto-Hojo. He doesn't get a pass because he was a nice fatherly figure to the Mengele-esque lab experiment who DIDN'T turn into Magic Clown Red Skull

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

FFVIII seems strangely reluctant to punish him for anything, even as it acknowledges his constant awfulness. It's not like he's ever called out for any of his poo poo by our heroes.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I think the sequence works better if Cid dies, then you have Celes throwing herself off the cliff which is some premium melodrama for a SNES game. If Cid lives he just stays on the island forever and has nothing to say.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I like having Cid suffer alone on a dead island, plus if I want Celes to jump off a cliff I can always give her Dragoon Boots.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
You can also reason it as Celes leaving Cid alone to rot on the island forever even when she finds an airship capable of taking him off it.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I am thinking of bailing early on FFX-2 because the battles move so fast it's overwhelming. I've played FFXII and XIV just fine but this one has me flustered. I'll do a fire magic attack and because I have to make multiple inputs for other things before it even hits the enemy I don't know if it's strong, weak or healed by it because my eyes aren't even on it. The saving grace is I can basically mash attack and win any fight so far.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I don't think anything in the main game is difficult enough for it to matter if you're not optimizing your actions per second.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I think I'll just watch some videos or come back to it another time. I actually like the shift in tone and non-linear approach but I just finished FFX and assumed this would also be turn-based and am not in the mood for the more action-oriented style. I know you can slow it down by making the game wait when you're in submenus but it's still not for me right now.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Posting this may be a mistake since this is AI, but gently caress it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX88c33cdtE

It's kinda novel and interesting, but naturally also janky as gently caress, and very little actual action happens as it's just mostly characters looking around awkwardly as various narrators recap the game. I mostly just liked it for rough designs of how the characters would look live-action, and of course all the AI jank and poo poo like basically everything involving Cid.

Also, does anyone recognize that version of Searching for Friends in the video? Sounds like a great rendition with good vocals that I've never heard before.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 20:30 on May 20, 2024

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

lmao just plopping a fish on his stomach

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mega64 posted:

It's kinda novel and interesting, but naturally also janky as gently caress, and very little actual action happens as it's just mostly characters looking around awkwardly as various narrators recap the game. I mostly just liked it for rough designs of how the characters would look live-action, and of course all the AI jank and poo poo like basically everything involving Cid.

Also, does anyone recognize that version of Searching for Friends in the video? Sounds like a great rendition with good vocals that I've never heard before.

Which ones? They look different from picture to picture.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Mega64 posted:

You were correct

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

That is amazing/horrifying.

I'm two minutes into it and Terra appears to be dripping with ejaculate every time she's on screen.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

i am not watching 20 goddamn minutes of fake people wearing hideous FF6 cosplay making bedroom eyes at the camera as the world warps around them and making grotesque attempts at miming speech by contorting their mouths like Hannibal Lector eating liver with fava beans and a nice chianti

someone posted a Zelda one of these and it’s literally the same loving video

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Augus posted:

i am not watching 20 goddamn minutes of fake people wearing hideous FF6 cosplay making bedroom eyes at the camera as the world warps around them and making grotesque attempts at miming speech by contorting their mouths like Hannibal Lector eating liver with fava beans and a nice chianti

someone posted a Zelda one of these and it’s literally the same loving video

I saw the Cid screenshot and thought "ugh, this looks like ugly AI art. But wait, no, don't be an rear end, it might just be really bad art"

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

If you find yourself wondering if doing something might be a mistake, perhaps that action should be further considered before taken

Mega64
May 23, 2008

When has that ever stopped me before?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Everything about that video was nightmare fuel.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Just wait till you watch his LPs

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Leal posted:

Just wait till you watch his LPs

I have. They weren't that bad... Oh. Oh no. Is Mega64 gonna start using AI for his LPs?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

That would make my life a lot easier, and the quality would improve too...!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The only acceptable AI in games is what makes the enemies hostile and the allies helpful. I will also accept auto battle and Luigi super guide style 'giving the controller to your older sibling' style auto play systems.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I liked the AI in Secret of Mana, Trials of Mana, and FF12. Those were good AI systems.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Mega64 posted:

Mega64 if you ever post AI slop like this again I am blocking you

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009

jokes posted:

I liked the AI in Secret of Mana, Trials of Mana, and FF12. Those were good AI systems.

AI in SoM would get stuck on so many obstacles and in ToM remake they are a liability that stand in boss attacks to the extent that when a harder difficulty was added, they had to make the AI companions immortal.

I still love those games.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mega64 posted:

this is dogshit and you should not have posted it

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ugh

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Mega64 posted:

This sucks rear end, thanks OP

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

If it weren't made with AI and didn't have that Buzzword Sheen it would just be considered a lovely and weird animatic.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Mega64, we are still deep in the heart of Meltdown May, and you'd better watch your loving back. I am going to send you a weird aggro PM about your absolutely sickening and vile descision to post AI, here, of allllll loving places, in the Final Fantasy thread. :tizzy:

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

This is the future Square wants anyways. Might as well embrace since us pigs will slop up anything with Final Fantasy in the name.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

wizard2 posted:

Mega64, we are still deep in the heart of Meltdown May, and you'd better watch your loving back. I am going to send you a weird aggro PM about your absolutely sickening and vile descision to post AI, here, of allllll loving places, in the Final Fantasy thread. :tizzy:

Are these FF2 style keywords

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

jokes posted:

Are these FF2 style keywords

yes.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Mega64, have at you!

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

So, to distract from the crappy AI video I'm definitely not clicking on, what are people's favorite "sleeper hits" music from various FF games? Like, songs that are either low-key or just overshadowed by more popular songs. A few of mine are:

Somewhere In The World:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyJpb_65Y44

What!?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsaKR8h0bd4

FF7 Remake - Rufus Shinra
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3oYF2wnSmg

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Agents are GO! posted:

So, to distract from the crappy AI video I'm definitely not clicking on, what are people's favorite "sleeper hits" music from various FF games? Like, songs that are either low-key or just overshadowed by more popular songs. A few of mine are:

Somewhere In The World:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyJpb_65Y44

I can't answer the question right now but I always liked this OCremix of this song from back in the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQM3taNNJMI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Agents are GO! posted:

I love a whole lot of overshadowed songs. Back when FFVIIR was first announced, I made a list of my top 7 underrated 7 songs. This is still my choice for the single most underrated song in the game. It deserves to be right up there with the Main Theme, OWA, etc..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_xqvNW4LCY

Finding Cloud like that is an unforgettable moment for me in my first run of FFVII. Even all these years later and having replayed the game countless times, it's still pretty hosed up. The way the music first starts as the nurse moves to the side to reveal how our hero has become a vegetable is exquisite in its direction. It punches you right in the gut.

From FFX, a track which plays at two of my favorite moments in the game, Operation Mi'Ihen and the Yevon Trial/the reveal ofthe Church's corruption and true agenda.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOsWUjXX3IQ

I noticed from this and other songs I just love having bells in my songs, too. But it just does such an exquisite job of building up tension.

From FFXV - considering what happens next, I can see why this gets overlooked. But as Leviathan was the last point I really cared about the story, the last part of the story which I felt really was built up properly and executed well, I adored it so much. Noct was struggling for his life at this point. No Super Saiyan yet, just our hero against an angry sea goddess.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3zDuCAcTSs