Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Omg she’s already 1. Happy first cheeseburger lemon pepper.

Note she is as too tired from the dog park to get off the floor to eat it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

jesus WEP posted:

coats aren’t a problem - there are even brands that do coats specifically for the hosed up proportions of a sighthound

in terms of exercise, sighthounds are a total mixed bag. the stereotype of them being lazy assholes who like to run for 10 minutes and sleep for 23 hours is true in some cases and yet lots of owners find their greyhound is pretty active throughout the day. but most dogs of any breed (apart from super smart working dogs) are pretty happy with 1 big walk and a couple of shorter ones in a day.

sighthounds can be kinda bouncy and zoomy and they’re also clumsy as gently caress, so tbh i don’t think they’re amazing if you have really small kids. very much a case by case basis, because a super chilled out long dog would be excellent for kids of any age

Seconding this. Spartacus is unusually high energy for a greyhound but he still naps a lot. He's clumsy in that he has no regard for where other dogs or people are and just kind of shoves his way to wherever he wants to go but he's extremely gentle and good with kids otherwise. I would have no problem having a kid with him around but I would definitely keep them supervised or separate until the kid was big enough to not get damaged by being knocked over or stepped on.

Having a closed in yard is very nice too so you can just let them out and so their own thing without constant supervision

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Veskit posted:

Omg she’s already 1. Happy first cheeseburger lemon pepper.

Note she is as too tired from the dog park to get off the floor to eat it

Happy first year birthday, Lemon Pepper! Do you have a timeline of her growing up?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Radiation Cow posted:

Happy first year birthday, Lemon Pepper! Do you have a timeline of her growing up?

8 Weeks

3 months

4 months

6 months

7 months

9 months

11 months

It was so fast!

Veskit fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 19, 2021

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Veskit posted:

It was so fast!
Well duh, it’s a greyhound :rolleyes:

Yeah but seriously I remember when you first posted about getting this puppy and I can’t believe it’s been a year

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

She's so big!!!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Do you have to save your hounds from themselves on hot days? Katie really wanted to walk longer at the park today, but I thought she was too hot. The way she panted when we came inside again makes me feel I made the right call; too humid today.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

if it's at the point where their tongue is constantly hanging out to the side, it's time to go in

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
I used to live near a lake and would walk Gannon down there and he would just walk out into about a foot of water and just lie down until everything but his head was covered. Sadly we had to move and it's too far of a walk now.

So now he gets the long walk at night once things start cooling off. Midday walks are kept short I've also got a spray bottle that I mist him with at the start of walks if it's hot out.. He spends most of his time messing up my bed when he's home so I keep a fan going on that basically 24/7 until mid September.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

david_a posted:

Do you have to save your hounds from themselves on hot days? Katie really wanted to walk longer at the park today, but I thought she was too hot. The way she panted when we came inside again makes me feel I made the right call; too humid today.

I try to hose sparty down and periodically check his temperature if I know we'll be out while it's warm. I'm a lot more lax if he can cool his heels (:v:) or lay down in a puddle somewhere

He's usually pretty good about self regulating so far

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Today is Watson's one year Gotcha Day!

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

NomNomNom posted:

Today is Watson's one year Gotcha Day!

:neckbeard:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Happy Gotcha, Watson! He really looks to be loving that burg! :D

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

congrats!

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Little ankle socks and proboscis :kimchi:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

number 1 snake fan posted:

Little ankle socks and proboscis :kimchi:

Useful for inhaling :burger:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Double post for Father's Day pics

They got to chase a squirrel! :sun:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

DarkHorse posted:

They got to chase a squirrel! :sun:
I can tell; their excitement is palpable

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
You know what day it is!?

:burger: BURGERDAY!!! :burger:

Happy third birthday Katie!!! :toot:

(Don’t worry about the carpet; it’s going to get ripped out in two weeks)

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

happy birthday katie!!!

and yeah I replaced my carpet with hard floors, Abby became a big fan of having "accidents" in a certain spot

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
It’s actually an apartment. I have to do an extremely annoying two week move to a different unit while they do some mandatory renovations (new carpet & flooring, new countertops, painted cabinets/doors/walls, some new appliances). And by move, I mean everything. Hopefully Katie won’t mind too much!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Happy birthday, Katie! :burger:

actionjackson posted:

happy birthday katie!!!

and yeah I replaced my carpet with hard floors, Abby became a big fan of having "accidents" in a certain spot

Oh man, in light of this info about Katie and Abby I'm so glad that whenever my two have accidents/"accidents" it's always on a particular doormat, nowadays. Makes it soo easy to clean up, compared to if it's on my rug/carpet!

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

david_a posted:

It’s actually an apartment. I have to do an extremely annoying two week move to a different unit while they do some mandatory renovations (new carpet & flooring, new countertops, painted cabinets/doors/walls, some new appliances). And by move, I mean everything. Hopefully Katie won’t mind too much!

Happy birthday Katie!

Ugh I had to do something similar a couple of years back. Except I could move all my stuff into one room. Then while I was away the contractors left the door open for days and used heaps of power. That was awesome :downsbravo:

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Yaaas Katie, happy birthday. Love the burger face.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Abby has this dark blue blanket she's quite attached to. When she gets up from her rug to go to her bed at night, She just goes up to the bed and stares at it until I put the blue blanket on top

last night I had the blue blanket on top, but then another blanket on top of that, she stepped on it, then started at me like :colbert:

I removed the top blanket, exposing the blue blanket, and she lied down

lmfao

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Abby Abby Abby Abby Abby spells SILLY

Please give her smooches from me

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

will do

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

actionjackson posted:

Abby has this dark blue blanket she's quite attached to. When she gets up from her rug to go to her bed at night, She just goes up to the bed and stares at it until I put the blue blanket on top

last night I had the blue blanket on top, but then another blanket on top of that, she stepped on it, then started at me like :colbert:

lmfao

This is super cute :neckbeard:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Abby's particularness (:kimchi:) reminded me of Spartacus and his insistence on where he wants to sit.

We have a couch and chair, so approximately four seats if people keep their personal space. Spartacus usually takes the chair, but sometimes he wants the couch. And when he wants the couch, he wants a particular end of the couch. And if someone is sitting in the spot he wants, he will stand in front of them and stare until they move or lean forward enough for him to wedge himself in. Doesn't matter if all the other seats are open, he wants that one.

My spouse and I frequently have to change positions so our little princess isn't whiny

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Katie seems to be super scared of bugs :cthulhu::magical:

We were walking a bit later than normal this evening because of the heat and she must have been startled by a firefly turning on. We were walking slowly until out of the corner of my eye I see her buck like a bronco and do a 180 in midair.

A few days ago we were out somewhere and she was excitedly sniffing a stick when a bug zoomed out from underneath. She absolutely levitated forward - zero windup, all four paws instantaneously left the earth and she touched down like a foot forward.

Once she discovered to her horror there was a bug crawling around in her bed and she fled in a hurry. I had to go hunt it down while she anxiously watched from a safe distance. She inspected the bed very carefully before laying down again; double-duty on the circling and pawing.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Oh my god that is so precious

We keep bees in the backyard and Sparty just ignores them.

Except when they fly into his mouth and he eats them :cripes:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I think she’s scared of bugs that are small enough that she can’t see them real well. We’ve only been to one spot that had the infamous Brood X cicadas (way more localized than I expected) and she promptly ate an injured one that was buzzing around. Those are pretty hefty bugs though. I’m not sure flys/bees trigger her either; it’s the small fast crawling ones that spook her the most.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

whomst among us

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

david_a posted:

I think she’s scared of bugs that are small enough that she can’t see them real well. We’ve only been to one spot that had the infamous Brood X cicadas (way more localized than I expected) and she promptly ate an injured one that was buzzing around. Those are pretty hefty bugs though. I’m not sure flys/bees trigger her either; it’s the small fast crawling ones that spook her the most.

Maybe it's more of a startle reflex?

actionjackson posted:

lmfao

These dogs have us trained so well.

Boudicca took out our glass sliding door today. I was watching a YouTube video and a guy did a death metal growl, and Boudicca decided that it was a threat of some sort. She rushed outside to challenge the horrible growly man, except the sliding door was only a tiny bit open and there wasn't enough of a gap to fit.

The end result? One shrieking dog, one sliding door off the rail. Luckily, apart from a couple of scratches on her paw, she's completely fine. The dog is a tank. :black101:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Radiation Cow posted:

I mean yeah but it’s funnier if I say she’s afraid of bugs

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

Radiation Cow posted:

Boudicca took out our glass sliding door today. I was watching a YouTube video and a guy did a death metal growl, and Boudicca decided that it was a threat of some sort. She rushed outside to challenge the horrible growly man, except the sliding door was only a tiny bit open and there wasn't enough of a gap to fit.

The end result? One shrieking dog, one sliding door off the rail. Luckily, apart from a couple of scratches on her paw, she's completely fine. The dog is a tank. :black101:

Please share a link to said video, I love seeing what Watson will react to (only really other animals squeaking or barking so far)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Radiation Cow posted:

hahaha far out, I'm glad she's OK at least! :D Speaking of sliding doors, is it normal for greys to try and squeeze through smaller gaps than they can reasonably fit through? Since Opal just rushes through opening sliding doors every time. I always block it with my leg so she can't, but my partner's not quite so proactive with that, so Opal semi-frequently bangs her side/hip/shoulder as she comes inside, which isn't great.

Also, regarding bug talk, my hounds aren't concerned - both try catching all the flies they can, then realise they're gross, but keep trying to catch more. Taz is reasonable at it, but Opal's a real deadeye - she just snaps them out of the air like nobody's business!

Also, I was watching Bordertown on Netflix (Finnish show) and found out that Tazo seems to be really keen on people talking (or yelling, that kind of thing) in Finnish! He was paying attention to nearly a full episode last night, which was quite humorous to see. :D For proof, here's a photo of him sitting on his old boy armchair, watching attentively:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I’ve read that ex-racers will bolt for any openings they see since they’re trained for it. That hasn’t really been my experience with Katie though, most of the time she stops in the doorway and I have to give her a push.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

NomNomNom posted:

Please share a link to said video, I love seeing what Watson will react to (only really other animals squeaking or barking so far)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmy3s2KLZq8&t=599s

It's hilarious because I regularly listen to death metal, and she's fine with that. Maybe because it's vocals out of context? Who knows.

I'm also going to give Bordertown a go now, see if our hounds are also fascinated by Finnish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

every one of those reads as either green or bronze to me