Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Ok, thank you. It just seems to be this thing that is never addressed while similar things get crucified. Though I guess there is a difference when it comes from the brain of somebody who treats minorities as an onion ring in your order of large fries at best. (One onion ring: ok I didn't want this but maybe it could be good. Two Onion Rings: I ORDERED FRIES NOT loving ONION RINGS).

But I'm moving on to a point I started making in the AEW thread and am moving here but it makes more sense here. We talk about guys who get released from WWE landing on their feet elsewhere but...how do you land on your feet once you're kicked out of WWE-land? Especially now that AEW is approaching capacity. The pro wrestling landscape has been largely barren of other opportunities since the days of the territories. If you're say...Mace what can you actually hope for right now? Do you want to just get this charade over with and escape back to whatever the gently caress it was you were doing? Do you want to get shot out of the airlock in hopes of somehow making your mark under Sinclair media, Billy Corgan or Anthem for 1/5th the money? Or do you hope and pray that SOMEHOW this stupid-rear end bowl of lemons you were handed can somehow be turned into lemonade? There are few real options and I have to think that of all the things Vince doesn't know, he knows that. He knows his contractors are hosed and without real options so he can keep making them dance while Fox and USA showers him with money he doesn't have to share. He doesn't have to be equitable, he just has to pay more than anybody else.

There is an opinion of 'purge the bloat' which is valid. But then what does the bloat do?

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Sep 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

ChrisBTY posted:

Ok, thank you. It just seems to be this thing that is never addressed while similar things get crucified. Though I guess there is a difference when it comes from the brain of somebody who treats minorities as an onion ring in your order of large fries at best. (One onion ring: ok I didn't want this but maybe it could be good. Two Onion Rings: I ORDERED FRIES NOT loving ONION RINGS).

it's ok to have multiple minority wrestlers! they just all have to be in the same storyline together. that way you can replace them with each other when people get hurt/can't be on t.v. and "nobody will notice"! (because vince mcmahon does not notice)

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Seams posted:

They think they’re getting him over.

I’ve mentioned this before but Prichard brings up on his podcast this idea that silly gimmicks or angles are intentional burials by Vince or creative. His argument is essentially why would WWE invest time and money into somebody if they wanted to bury them when they could simply not put them on TV and save the money and achieve the same result. He uses the example of the Undertaker/DDP feud.

this still stings so loving much because they absolutely wanted to make an example of DDP, a guy who wanted to get back to work so bad he took cuts in pay to be on TV. His first promo there was SO good and they buried him so bad to the point where he never ever recovered. Fortunately he went on to do much cooler poo poo with his life but man, it sucked that DDP and later Booker T had to work so hard to get over while they just tossed in loving Goldberg like it was nothing and beltfed him championships

Also HHH beating Sting but that's another thing entirely.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

DLC Inc posted:

this still stings so loving much because they absolutely wanted to make an example of DDP, a guy who wanted to get back to work so bad he took cuts in pay to be on TV. His first promo there was SO good and they buried him so bad to the point where he never ever recovered. Fortunately he went on to do much cooler poo poo with his life but man, it sucked that DDP and later Booker T had to work so hard to get over while they just tossed in loving Goldberg like it was nothing and beltfed him championships

Also HHH beating Sting but that's another thing entirely.

Goldberg was a way bigger star than DDP and Booker T's peaks combined, and still had to lose to HHH and do stupid segments with Goldust to establish how he wasn't REALLY a top star and a badass.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Pope Corky the IX posted:

How the gently caress did Gargano/Ciampa win Feud of the Year in 2019?

It didn't, Gargano/Cole did.

Which might be worse?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

There was a real good Gargano Cole match at Takeover just before Mania that year.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
They had one 40-minute match, then they had another 40-minute match

Wow such a deep and compelling feud

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

rare Magic card l00k posted:

I think the question of is it problematic boils down to 'does anyone think Sami would dare play the character in 2020, or AEW would present it?'

yea lol i dont think anyone is trying to cancel sami, sami's cool, i just really really dont see him going back to a gimmick that relies on him speaking 8 words of broken spanish in any way lol

he'll wear the generico mask for entrances and everyone will be happy.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/WWENXT/status/1311357473937330177

Still might be a kayfabe injury (though you'd think they'd pick something other than a torn ACL) but if this is legit this might be it for Tegan.

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

Tegan was pretty good on commentary during the NXT Combine last year.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
How about, and hear me out here, Sami gets the gimmick of having so many concussions that he becomes brain damaged and is a special needs sports entertainer from now on... unless he hears a trumpet, which triggers something inside him and he dons the El Generico mask and becomes super-capable in the ring.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Grendels Dad posted:

How about, and hear me out here, Sami gets the gimmick of having so many concussions that he becomes brain damaged and is a special needs sports entertainer from now on... unless he hears a trumpet, which triggers something inside him and he dons the El Generico mask and becomes super-capable in the ring.

Okay Vince Russo.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Grendels Dad posted:

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Grendels Dad posted:

I heard you out and I hate it

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

MJeff posted:

It didn't, Gargano/Cole did.

Which might be worse?

I'm going by the list posted on page 111 that everyone else has quoted.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
In other news, 37-year-old, 6-time IWGP Junior Heavyweight champion, and 2-time Best of the Super Juniors winner Yujiro Kushida is apparently still learning the hard cam down in the minor leagues.

https://twitter.com/ConnorCasey_CB/status/1311362377066196993

Benne fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Sep 30, 2020

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I hope that youngster comes good some day, he has potential

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

He's here for the money

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Allegedly there's a Takeover this week, which is the first I've heard of it.

Finn Balor(c) vs. Kyle O'Reilly, NXT title
Damien Priest(c) vs. Johnny Gargano, North American title
Io Shirai(c) vs. Candice LeRae, NXT Women's title
Santos Escobar(c) vs. Swerve Scott, NXT Cruiserweight title
Kushida vs. Credibly Accused Child Groomer Velveteen Dream

Kushida has been in NXT since April 2019. This is his first Takeover match.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Good for Kushida. To think that he could have been slumming it with the likes of Hiromu, Ishimori and SHO instead.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Benne posted:

Allegedly there's a Takeover this week, which is the first I've heard of it.

Finn Balor(c) vs. Kyle O'Reilly, NXT title
Damien Priest(c) vs. Johnny Gargano, North American title
Io Shirai(c) vs. Candice LeRae, NXT Women's title
Santos Escobar(c) vs. Swerve Scott, NXT Cruiserweight title
Kushida vs. Credibly Accused Child Groomer Velveteen Dream

Kushida has been in NXT since April 2019. This is his first Takeover match.

39 vs 33
38 vs 33
30 vs 35
36 vs 30
37 vs 25

Literally one person on the card is < 30 (and he's a goddamn pedo).

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Johnny Gargano may be 33 but he’s got the bump card of a 40 year old easily

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Here’s my favorite (amongst all above)

https://twitter.com/wonf4w/status/1311370238127206411?s=21

Because heaven forbid you mention another company by name. That’s saying a cuss. Can’t even mention a wrestlers past so when a 51 year old PCO debuts someday, maybe they’ll go “He’s a brand new wrestler, never wrestler anywhere. A rookie. We wish the kid well here. Good luck, kid.”

And of course the NO MOM WE WERE HERE FIRST. IM FIRST. HELLO I WAS FIRST! IM NOT MOVING WAHHHHH!! LEAVE ME ALONE I WAS FIRST!!!!!!!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Who the gently caress is swerve scott and what the gently caress kinda name is swerve scott

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Just call up Velveteen Dream already so he can be in a tag team with Matt Riddle.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

oldpainless posted:

Who the gently caress is swerve scott and what the gently caress kinda name is swerve scott

he used to be Shane Strickland, or Shane "Swerve" Strickland, then he signed with NXT and became Isaiah Scott, or Isaiah "Swerve" Scott, and now I guess just Swerve Scott

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

oldpainless posted:

Used to go by Shane Strickland with the nickname Swerve. Was also Killshot in Lucha Underground.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

oldpainless posted:

Killshot.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I'm going by the list posted on page 111 that everyone else has quoted.

Well then you can pretend I was quoting the list on page 111.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Gargano/Ciampa won in 2018, Cole/Gargano won in 2019. I think that's where the confusion is coming from.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
2019 is whatever, New Japan didn't have any super feuds and AEW hadn't quite gotten going for long enough but if it did win 2018 too that would be kind of wack, especially given how bad those finishes sucked after the first one.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Given HHH’s comments on Kushida, you’d think that they didn’t watch his non wwe stuff but that can’t be right.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

TV Zombie posted:

Given HHH’s comments on Kushida, you’d think that they didn’t watch his non wwe stuff but that can’t be right.

I think it was on the Gallows and Anderson podcast where they revealed a bunch of poo poo about the WWE where they said that nobody at WWE knew they were IWGP tag champs.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Well duh, obviously nothing exists outside WWE and even if it did it wouldn't matter.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Pylons posted:

Still might be a kayfabe injury (though you'd think they'd pick something other than a torn ACL) but if this is legit this might be it for Tegan.

gently caress, I was really hoping it was kayfabe but seems like it's real.

I hope she doesn't retire but drat that's some bad luck.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Pylons posted:

Sounding like it's legit and they did the Candice attack so she could be written off before having the surgery

Turns 26 in November and already has had 3 ACL tears. Sucks

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
That really sucks if trues. At her rate she might past Dom Cruz's injuries which is really bad thing.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Very sad for anybody to have 3 surgeries on the ACLs. That sucks.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Has she had problems with both knees or has it been the same knee every time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Ganso Bomb posted:

Has she had problems with both knees or has it been the same knee every time?

Both knees.