Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Any of you got any of that Warhammer crime stuff? I'm fiending hard.

Haven't started the Horus Heresy until recently and I kinda want to get more Varangantua rather than learning about Caliban.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

All the crime stuff is great I hope they release more of it. We've had a hell of a dry spell on new stuff the last few months.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
There's some great characters in there. C'mon down to Alecto! We've got dude who's unknowingly part of a genestealer cult; rich-kid who decided to slum it up; tiny and big; and much more!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I've read Bloodlines and Vorbis Conspiracy, both were a lot of fun. Do the ratling/ogryn duo have a full novel or novella to themselves? They were very fun.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
The Wraithbone Phoenix is their full book, and a drat fun romp at that.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Nazzadan posted:

I believe within that same novel (Flight of the Eisenstein) there is Malcador finding out, he goes to Luna where Garro and his compatriots are being held and questions them to learn what happened and if they are lying or not, then the book ends with the stinger that he's going to recruit them for his private proto-Grey Knights/Deathwatch/Inquisition or whatever force due to their "inquisitive nature."

Yeah that's exactly what happened, the mostly irrelevant sisters of silence and the black ships plot point kind of ties into it too I guess?

Malcador also drops the most cliche line of "Terra came to you"

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?

chainchompz posted:

Any of you got any of that Warhammer crime stuff? I'm fiending hard.

Haven't started the Horus Heresy until recently and I kinda want to get more Varangantua rather than learning about Caliban.

The betrayal of the Lion by the Coward Luther was the ultimate Warhammer Crime. :colbert:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I really want more stuff from ADB and Matthew Farrer, the Urdesh books were incredible and Farrer did a really good job with it, but he hasn't done much Black Library stuff at all.

Also very surprised we're still waiting on news about Pandemonium and the Black Legion book ADK finished years ago. I thought things would move along pretty quick after the siege of terra finished.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Demiurge4 posted:

Also very surprised we're still waiting on news about Pandemonium and the Black Legion book ADK finished years ago. I thought things would move along pretty quick after the siege of terra finished.

The End and the Death took Dan two years, almost to a day, to write.

No idea about the third Black Legion book, and to be honest, I do not recall ever seeing ADB personally confirm that it was in fact done.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Path of the Archon a very good book. All in all I think the second book was the weakest of the 3, but the first and third are very cool. I came into path of the Dark Eldar mostly because Brooks peaked my interest a bit with Big Dakka at the faction, but I was still mostly dismissive. I came away from the trilogy thinking the Dark Eldar are cool as hell and probably my favorite xenos faction, so good on you Andy Chambers. I'll try to grab the deluxe of Brooks new book whenever that goes on sale.

When I started I was thinking does any Dark eldar fan really like Vect? Since the idea of one Canon overlord for your whole faction seems like it'd be stifling, but Archon had me rooting for the guy so I'd consider that a slick accomplishment.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Demiurge4 posted:

ADB hasn't finished Black Legion 3, that was just thread speculation.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Sharkopath posted:

When I started I was thinking does any Dark eldar fan really like Vect? Since the idea of one Canon overlord for your whole faction seems like it'd be stifling, but Archon had me rooting for the guy so I'd consider that a slick accomplishment.

I liked the fact that he was the one playable character that did not even pretend to be answerable to anyone or anything else, and his rules (hatred: everyone) were great. Damned shame he's still missing from the codex, hopefully next time.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

von Metternich posted:

The betrayal of the Lion by the Coward Luther was the ultimate Warhammer Crime. :colbert:

The Assassination of Argel Tal by the Coward Hand of Destiny Erebus :hmmyes:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Every time, every single time, Erebus surprises me with something atrocious and then I'm like... oh yeah I should have expected this.

He's like 30k's Apollo Executioner but for characters you liked too much.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I liked the elements of the path of the eldar series that weren't about the Galaxy's dumbest ranger. Although it is hilarious that across multiple books people go "wait so your response to people feeling unhappy is to give them sniper rifles and further isolate them?"

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Benagain posted:

I liked the elements of the path of the eldar series that weren't about the Galaxy's dumbest ranger. Although it is hilarious that across multiple books people go "wait so your response to people feeling unhappy is to give them sniper rifles and further isolate them?"

I've thought about picking them up a few times but the way people describe the personal drama in them seems unappealing to me.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Benagain posted:

very :911:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Demiurge4 posted:

I really want more stuff from ADB and Matthew Farrer, the Urdesh books were incredible and Farrer did a really good job with it, but he hasn't done much Black Library stuff at all.

After reading a bunch of Eldar short stories that Farrer wrote way back when, I'm still pissed he never got a chance to do a full novel because he does them really well. Especially the Harlequin story is great because it's a trip.

Not to mention he does the Avatar of Khaine justice, something no other writer seems to be capable of doing.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

NihilCredo posted:

Question: I know that there's a scene in the Heresy novels where Garro first tells Dorn of Horus's turning (and almost gets killed by a disbelieving Praetorian). Is there also a scene where the Emperor and/or Malcador get told about the Heresy for the first time, or does it happen off-screen?

Going back to this for a second, I forgot this happened for a bit since it's not really emperor being told about it

False Gods posted:

The golden figure turned a puzzled gaze upon Horus.

‘I know you?’ he said, and Horus wept to hear such a perfect symphony of sound.

‘Yes,’ said Horus, unable to raise his voice above a whisper.

The giant cocked his head to one side and said, ‘You would destroy my great works, but you will not succeed. I beg you, turn from this path or all will be lost.’

Horus reached out towards the golden warrior as he turned his sad gaze to the incubation tanks held motionless above him, weighing the consequences of future events in the blink of an eye.

Horus could see the decision in the figure’s wondrous eyes and shouted, ‘No!’

The figure turned from him and time snapped back into its prescribed stream.

The deafening howl of the warp-spawned wind returned with the force of a hurricane and Horus heard the screams of his brothers amid the metallic clanging of their incubation tanks.

‘Father, no!’ he yelled. ‘You can’t let this happen!’

The golden giant was walking away, leaving the carnage in his wake, uncaring of the lives he had wrought. Horus felt his hate swell bright and strong within his breast.

The power of the wind seized him in its grip and he let it take him, spinning him up into the air and Horus opened his arms as he was reunited once again with his brothers.

The abyss of the warp vortex yawned above him like a great eye of terror and madness.

He surrendered to its power and let it take him into its embrace.

I assume at some point in time everyone decided to pretend this didn't happen like in the 2nd book?

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Kylaer posted:

ADB hasn't finished Black Legion 3, that was just thread speculation.

Although he was posting about writing the Emperor's Spears sequel years ago, even with his notorious pace you'd imagine he'd have finished it by now.

Unless it got pulled behind the scenes, but I can't imagine BL doing that with one of their star authors. I'm sure it happens.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

It was pulled because the MC from the Spears book is too cool.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Azubah posted:

It was pulled because the MC from the Spears book is too cool.

:hmmyes:

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

a lovely king posted:

Although he was posting about writing the Emperor's Spears sequel years ago, even with his notorious pace you'd imagine he'd have finished it by now.

Unless it got pulled behind the scenes, but I can't imagine BL doing that with one of their star authors. I'm sure it happens.

He's got severe depression, I can absolutely believe he just can't get the books into states where he's okay with releasing them. Depression makes everything more difficult, but creativity most of all.

Also, a reasonable person would think George R R Martin would have finished his series by now too, but just look at how that's going.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

I just finished Ahriman: Unchanged and I am pissed.

It was going pretty well until the end. The whole Changing sub-plot... God drat.

The book earned its title.

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?

Kylaer posted:

He's got severe depression, I can absolutely believe he just can't get the books into states where he's okay with releasing them. Depression makes everything more difficult, but creativity most of all.

Also, a reasonable person would think George R R Martin would have finished his series by now too, but just look at how that's going.

I believe he also had a kid, which tends to take up some time!

That aside, I’m not as excited for Spears 2 as I am for BL3…the cool thing, for me, about the first Spears book, was seeing how the Mentor legion worked , and how they reacted to the Spears, who are very different, and vice-versa. By the end, pretty much everyone and everything they brought from Sanctus is either gone or has been changed to be more spears-y.

I’ll still definitely buy and read it, no question, but I will miss that element of the first one.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Spears was cool because it showed a marine can change for the better, pretty unique.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

moths posted:

Every time, every single time, Erebus surprises me with something atrocious and then I'm like... oh yeah I should have expected this.

He's like 30k's Apollo Executioner but for characters you liked too much.

If anyone deserves to be a Daemon Prince, it’s Erebus. The Dark Gods should get on that.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

CottonWolf posted:

If anyone deserves to be a Daemon Prince, it’s Erebus. The Dark Gods should get on that.

Erebros gang tag? :thunkin:

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

CottonWolf posted:

Nah, it's funnier if he's just a normal rear end in a top hat.

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?

Azubah posted:

I was really hoping he or Kor Phaeron would die during the heresy, but alas. Or Typhon. All the guys that suck. Nobody who sucks died during the heresy.

EDIT: Eidolon did but he came back.

von Metternich fucked around with this message at 17:01 on May 16, 2024

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Azubah posted:

I think he knows it too. That's what makes Erebus fun, to me.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Kylaer posted:

Erebros gang tag? :thunkin:

If enough of us get one it will surely generate enough warp energy to make him a daemon prince. :hmmyes:

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Kylaer posted:

I believe its because the TV ending was a rough draft of his ideas and after how it was received he decided he didn't want go be rendered into soap by a thousand baying nerds and is just playing for time until he has a fatal cardiovascular event.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

Lostconfused posted:

Going back to this for a second, I forgot this happened for a bit since it's not really emperor being told about it

I assume at some point in time everyone decided to pretend this didn't happen like in the 2nd book?

I don't think anyone has to pretend it didn't happen, isn't that just a vision the Chaos Powers gave Horus to help turn him? Like it actually didn't happen in the world, it's just images they sent to Horus.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Z the IVth posted:

I believe its because the TV ending was a rough draft of his ideas and after how it was received he decided he didn't want go be rendered into soap by a thousand baying nerds and is just playing for time until he has a fatal cardiovascular event.

I will most likely Feel Strongly About It when he dies leaving asoiaf unfinished :ssj:

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

Biplane posted:

I will most likely Feel Strongly About It when he dies leaving asoiaf unfinished :ssj:

His work ethic got shanked by Erebus a decade and a half ago, how much longer he lives doesn't really matter.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Z the IVth posted:

GRRM is also just functionally incapable of ever decreasing the scope. I was outright pissed at the ending of book 5, and then even more angry at the ending of the TV show because they hosed it so hard that now I will have to read whatever books come out to get any type of real closure.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Inspector_666 posted:

GRRM is also just functionally incapable of ever decreasing the scope.
And, worse still, self-avowedly disinclined to do much in the way of plotting ahead. Turns out that’s a bad way to handle a world-spanning epic with scores of major characters!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Perfect for a Warhammer witch hunter.

https://x.com/rookart44/status/1791034896154087530

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Holy Sigmar, bless this badass hat.