Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Fried Chicken posted:

about that...

I mean really fingerprints are an example of the coastline paradox, wher the distinctivenss is a fucntion of the resolution you bring to it because of the fractal nature of the object. But yeah.

See also this series of Frontline documentaries and reports. They've known for some time that fingerprinting is a poo poo science.

edit: oh drat it. beaten by Mo_Steel. but my link has some additional reports on the aftermath of that documentary.

radical meme fucked around with this message at 21:26 on May 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

radical meme posted:

See also this series of Frontline documentaries and reports. They've known for some time that fingerprinting is a poo poo science.

edit: oh drat it. beaten by Mo_Steel. but my link has some additional reports on the aftermath of that documentary.

I'm curious. Has any defense attorney successfully argued this yet when forensics is used in attempt to get a conviction?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Job Truniht posted:

I'm curious. Has any defense attorney successfully argued this yet when forensics is used in attempt to get a conviction?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Most of my professors have families. :shrug:

Both my parents are professors but they also didn't start a family until they were in their mid to late 30s.

Cythereal posted:

And non-faculty university staff. I'm a university librarian and even by the standards of librarians I'm paid peanuts to work on a very lovely campus with dorms significantly more luxurious than my apartment.

In fairness they probably cost a lot more than your apartment too.

I lived in a dorm built in the 70s that was the brutalist style you probably know and it cost significantly more than a 1 bedroom apartment did. The actual luxury ones cost even more than that.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 21:39 on May 31, 2015

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR
I laughed way harder than I should have.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Maybe this is a derail, but when reading an article on unionization and the subsequent complaints about teacher unions constantly striking for better pay despite worse or static results I had a thought. It seems throughout the country alot of the education budget for K-12 has either been cut or stagnated which reduces the resources available in schools increasing the burden on teachers. The teachers than work harder with less resources so they demand better pay... this pay eats up more of the limited education budget reducing resources even more making teachers work harder and creating a cycle of poo poo that makes the teachers look at fault because they strike because they can and their job is lovely. Or maybe I am incredibly off-base since I dont really know any public school teachers anymore besides my cousin who was a school teacher got laid off and is teaching history at a private school in Guatemala now...

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Job Truniht posted:

Good luck finding a criminal court judge that will actually let you put that evidence on.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

i am harry posted:

Let us pause for a moment and remind ourselves in contrast what Mr. Rove has lost.

Fox News is reporting that Karl Rove believes he's lost enough already.

Ogmius815 posted:

Tenure also gives the faculty some ability to stand up to the administration (and anyone who has ever set foot in a university knows why this is important). Students who bitch about tenure are idiots. They're usually also me-first babies who are incensed at the idea that not every single thing at the university revolves around them.

The school district I grew up in makes the machinations of ASOIAF look like loving child's play. There was a teacher about a decade ago who had to quit and move because of very real "we will fukcing murder you" poo poo that goes on, in addition to the more mundane ruining of others' lives and giving lucrative contracts to friends. The district spent the last several years being run in to the ground by a buddy of the previous governor as well. This is a mostly middle/upper-middle class district too so I can only imagine what goes on at major universities.

If this district didn't have tenure (and PA didn't have a fairly strong teacher's union) then teachers would likely get fired by the dozens when the school board changes and they try to bring in all their friends to give them overpaid cushy jobs.

The people behind this show should be fed to lions on Pay-Per-View and the money used to help poor families.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Evil Fluffy posted:

If this district didn't have tenure (and PA didn't have a fairly strong teacher's union) then teachers would likely get fired by the dozens when the school board changes and they try to bring in all their friends to give them overpaid cushy jobs.

Yeah, I know a few public school teachers in Texas, where the teachers have a union, but it can't strike, so it's worthless. The poorly run schools are pretty much constantly concocting petty ways to run out the experienced, paid-slightly-more teachers so they can replace them with ones with no experience and often no degree in education, just an "emergency" certification.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Jack2142 posted:

Maybe this is a derail, but when reading an article on unionization and the subsequent complaints about teacher unions constantly striking for better pay despite worse or static results I had a thought. It seems throughout the country alot of the education budget for K-12 has either been cut or stagnated which reduces the resources available in schools increasing the burden on teachers. The teachers than work harder with less resources so they demand better pay... this pay eats up more of the limited education budget reducing resources even more making teachers work harder and creating a cycle of poo poo that makes the teachers look at fault because they strike because they can and their job is lovely. Or maybe I am incredibly off-base since I dont really know any public school teachers anymore besides my cousin who was a school teacher got laid off and is teaching history at a private school in Guatemala now...

All of these problems would disappear with replacing all public schools with charter schools though! - fuckwits across the country.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

DemeaninDemon posted:

All of these problems would disappear with replacing all public schools with charter schools though! - fuckwits across the country.

Well that's one way to lure Arkane back to the thread, I guess.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Wow

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Well that's one way to lure Arkane back to the thread, I guess.

Four degrees Celsius! Four degrees Celsius!

...There, that ought to work.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Jack2142 posted:

This assumes teachers get the wages they demand, which is not the case.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Jack2142 posted:

They're not just striking for better pay, though. Most of the time, pay is the least of their concern, and they're looking for reduced class sizes and those more resources you mentioned. If they are looking for pay increases, it's usually just above inflation, and often time to compensate for several years of pay freezes. The problem is not "teachers are paid too much so there's no budget for other stuff" it's that teachers aren't paid enough AND there's not enough budget for other stuff (unless you live in a rich neighborhood).

In Washington state, for example, schools have been underfunded by billions of dollars for decades. The Washington state constitution requires education to be well funded, and the Washington State Supreme Court has found the legislature in contempt of court for being multiple billions (~$8 billion iirc) below what it should be. The legislature then has continued to do nothing for years, and has now been found in contempt of court. Since then, they have continued to do nothing. So yeah, the problem is legislatures are deliberately underfunding schools in every aspect--pay, class size, resources, support staff, training--and that says nothing about the problems outside of schools that affect student performance, like poverty.

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao
Thanks to McCain, a Austrialian-British mining company is going to steal Apache land, in tyool 2015.

quote:

Tucson

ABOUT an hour east of Phoenix, near a mining town called Superior, men, women and children of the San Carlos Apache tribe have been camped out at a place called Oak Flat for more than three months, protesting the latest assault on their culture.

Three hundred people, mostly Apache, marched 44 miles from tribal headquarters to begin this occupation on Feb. 9. The campground lies at the core of an ancient Apache holy place, where coming-of-age ceremonies, especially for girls, have been performed for many generations, along with traditional acorn gathering. It belongs to the public, under the multiple-use mandate of the Forest Service, and has had special protections since 1955, when President Dwight D. Eisenhower decreed the area closed to mining — which, like cattle grazing, is otherwise common in national forests — because of its cultural and natural value. President Richard M. Nixon’s Interior Department in 1971 renewed this ban.

Despite these protections, in December 2014, Congress promised to hand the title for Oak Flat over to a private, Australian-British mining concern. A fine-print rider trading away the Indian holy land was added at the last minute to the must-pass military spending bill, the National Defense Authorization Act. By doing this, Congress has handed over a sacred Native American site to a foreign-owned company for what may be the first time in our nation’s history.

The Apache are occupying Oak Flat to protest this action — to them, a sacrilegious and craven sell-off of a place “where Apaches go to pray,” in the words of the San Carlos Apache tribal chairman, Terry Rambler. The site will doubtless be destroyed for any purpose other than mining; Resolution Copper Mining will hollow out a vast chamber that, when it caves in, will leave a two-mile-wide, 1,000-foot-deep pit. The company itself has likened the result of its planned mining at Oak Flat to that of a nearby meteor crater.

The land grab was sneakily anti-democratic even by congressional standards. For more than a decade, the parcel containing Oak Flat has been coveted by Rio Tinto, Resolution’s parent company — which already mines on its own private land in the surrounding area — for the high-value ores beneath it.

The swap — which will trade 5,300 acres of private parcels owned by the company to the Forest Service and give 2,400 acres including Oak Flat to Resolution so that it can mine the land without oversight — had been attempted multiple times by Arizona members of Congress on behalf of the company. (Among those involved was Rick Renzi, a former Republican representative who was sent to federal prison in February for three years for corruption related to earlier versions of the land-transfer deal.) It always failed in Congress because of lack of support. But this time was different. This time, the giveaway language was slipped onto the defense bill by Senators John McCain and Jeff Flake of Arizona at the 11th hour. The tactic was successful only because, like most last-minute riders, it bypassed public scrutiny.

It’s worth noting that Rio Tinto affiliates have been McCain campaign contributors, and that Mr. Flake, before he made it to Congress, was a paid lobbyist for Rio Tinto Rössing Uranium (a huge uranium mine in Namibia). Mr. McCain and others assert that the mining project will be a boost to the local economy, though it’s unclear how many of the 1,400 promised jobs would be local; a Superior-area miners’ group, in fact, opposes the swap on the basis that it won’t help the local people or economy. Rio Tinto, incidentally, has been called out in the past for environmental devastation.

“Why is this place sacred?” said Wendsler Nosie Sr., a former chairman of the San Carlos Apache, in a recent interview with Cronkite News. “No difference to Mount Sinai. How the holy spirit came to be.” If you don’t want to take his word for it, the archaeological record at Oak Flat contains abundant evidence that the Apache have been here “since well before recorded history,” according to congressional testimony by the Society for American Archaeology.

If Oak Flat were a Christian holy site, or for that matter Jewish or Muslim, no senator who wished to remain in office would dare to sneak a backdoor deal for its destruction into a spending bill — no matter what mining-company profits or jobs might result. But this is Indian religion. Clearly the Arizona congressional delegation isn’t afraid of a couple of million conquered natives.

The truth is that for Mr. McCain, Mr. Flake and others who would allow this precious public land to be destroyed, it’s not only the Indians who are invisible. The rest of us are also ghosts, remnants of a quaint idea of democracy.

Oak Flat may still be saved, albeit with difficulty, since the bill’s language stipulates quite simply that 60 days after the federal “environmental impact statement” is complete, the land will belong to Resolution — in other words, that the swap will occur no matter what the environmental study says. But, like all laws and pieces of laws, it can be reversed by new legislative language.

The deal is an impressive new low in congressional corruption, unworthy of our country’s ideals no matter what side of the aisle you’re on. It’s exactly the kind of cynical maneuvering that has taught the electorate to disrespect politicians — a disdain for government that hurts everyone. If ever there was a time for Congress to prove its moral mettle to the public, this is that time. The rider should be repealed.

staticman fucked around with this message at 22:56 on May 31, 2015

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Evil Fluffy posted:

The people behind this show should be fed to lions on Pay-Per-View and the money used to help poor families.

No make them have to face each other in a battle royale style battle.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
The premise that the education reformers are pushing when they make their arguments is that there is some mass of people who would be great teachers who would come rushing in to work as soon as wages for lower and the teachers union got out of their way.

That assumption seems... questionable... to me.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Rhesus Pieces posted:

It's like an ouroboros. They need more wealthy students to pay higher tuition every year in order to pay for all the brand new buildings and amenities they put up in part to look good in the glossy mailers they send out to compete for wealthy students.

Meanwhile the adjuncts and grad students using the brand new labs and research wings are on food stamps, but Jimmy and Susie Moneybags have luxury dorm suites and a climbing wall in the Student Union, so the system works!

Yeah it has been a surprisingly quick race to the bottom for everything but luxury amenities for students that can afford them. It is even more pronounced in off campus housing too.

I had never seen the administration the department I majored in as panicked as when one of the grad students mentioned to their adviser that they qualified for food stamps. It was an all hands on deck emergency. They weren't concerned that the pay was so lovely, but instead that it might get out that they had grad students on food stamps and that would look bad for recruitment and grant writing.

edit: Yeesh out of state estimated cost (tuition + housing + food) for where I went to undergrad is now around $45k per year. That's insane.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jun 1, 2015

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Fried Chicken posted:

The premise that the education reformers are pushing when they make their arguments is that there is some mass of people who would be great teachers who would come rushing in to work as soon as wages for lower and the teachers union got out of their way.

That assumption seems... questionable... to me.

No the premise is gently caress you more money for me.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

i'd be a teacher instead of moving into the industry if they could pay me double and not have 500x the headache. i actually enjoy teaching students, both undergraduate and graduate level, but it's simply not worth the shitshow.

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

joeburz posted:

i'd be a teacher instead of moving into the industry if they could pay me double and not have 500x the headache. i actually enjoy teaching students, both undergraduate and graduate level, but it's simply not worth the shitshow.

The punchline is that media goes "why are we lagging behind other countries in education?" while various states rip into education. Can't be because of that. Nope. It's the teachers.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

That reality show sounds like something you'd see on some dark superhero movie where the villains come up with a monstrous idea to highlight how deserving they are of the rear end beating they receive from the hero.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Dante Logos posted:

The punchline is that media goes "why are we lagging behind other countries in education?" while various states rip into education. Can't be because of that. Nope. It's the teachers.

for a capitalistic crowd they sure as hell dont seem to realize that you're not going to grab the best if you're pushing them through a gauntlet of dogshit for 5 years with dirt pay, and thats if you're actually able to find tenure track.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

joeburz posted:

Every person I know that went into education is now going back to school for something else. In fact, someone I know got so disgusted by charter schools that she's trying to get into nonprofits that work against them :toot:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dante Logos posted:

I'm surprised we haven't had a major political figure outright call public education socialism.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Uranium Phoenix posted:

They're not just striking for better pay, though. Most of the time, pay is the least of their concern, and they're looking for reduced class sizes and those more resources you mentioned. If they are looking for pay increases, it's usually just above inflation, and often time to compensate for several years of pay freezes. The problem is not "teachers are paid too much so there's no budget for other stuff" it's that teachers aren't paid enough AND there's not enough budget for other stuff (unless you live in a rich neighborhood).

In Washington state, for example, schools have been underfunded by billions of dollars for decades. The Washington state constitution requires education to be well funded, and the Washington State Supreme Court has found the legislature in contempt of court for being multiple billions (~$8 billion iirc) below what it should be. The legislature then has continued to do nothing for years, and has now been found in contempt of court. Since then, they have continued to do nothing. So yeah, the problem is legislatures are deliberately underfunding schools in every aspect--pay, class size, resources, support staff, training--and that says nothing about the problems outside of schools that affect student performance, like poverty.

Oh of course I know about this I am from Washington so I know that legislature has been the under funded education system. I wasn't trying to say that teachers are only demanding pay raises etc. I probably should have expanded my thought was just a knee jerk reaction to the 'gently caress Union because teachers always strike and schools are poo poo" statements. So I realize the schools are underfunded and even if the teachers don't secure a significant pay raise the teachers salaries eat up a bigger part of the shrunken budget allowing the people who cut education funding to say "look its the teachers fault look at how much of /slashed budget/ they take up and they are still on strike demanding better compensation those greedy union bastards. WE NEED TO PRIVATIZE FOR SAINT REAGAN!!!

Aliquid posted:

This assumes teachers get the wages they demand, which is not the case.

Definitely oftentimes they don't get the wages they deserve or demand.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Any news on the surveillance talks?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

joeburz posted:

yeah i really enjoy teaching but i teach corporate professionals how to use software because if i were going to teach children facts about reality and other useful things i'd be getting paid like, half as much, for double the work

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Grouchio posted:

Any news on the surveillance talks?

Lee says he has 60 to pass the House bill that would put some nominal restraint on it, Paul says he is committed to making the existing program lapse.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I'm so loving glad I finished my university education before Walker really got rolling with gutting the goddamn state and UW with it too. I remember thinking what a loving embarrassment Biddy turned out to be after it came out she was working with the Republicans to gently caress with the UW system and she literally fled the state to take a job elsewhere because of the potential backlash. And years later it was loving worse than we ever could have thought.

Here's a governor who ran explicitly on the platform of improving Wisconsin's economic prospects and creating Hundreds of Thousands of Jobs. When he got elected he immediately canceled a hugely promising transportation project, smashed workers' rights, and generally did everything in exactly the worst possible manner. Wisconsin is now among dead loving last in the entire loving country for economic and employment metrics. And Walker still has more coming up, including loving with food stamps and drug testing.

The fact that Walker is an actual legitimate candidate for Republican Presidential candidacy should have had this country struck down by the fist of an angry God long, long ago.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Brannock posted:

I'm so loving glad I finished my university education before Walker really got rolling with gutting the goddamn state and UW with it too. I remember thinking what a loving embarrassment Biddy turned out to be after it came out she was working with the Republicans to gently caress with the UW system and she literally fled the state to take a job elsewhere because of the potential backlash. And years later it was loving worse than we ever could have thought.

Here's a governor who ran explicitly on the platform of improving Wisconsin's economic prospects and creating Hundreds of Thousands of Jobs. When he got elected he immediately canceled a hugely promising transportation project, smashed workers' rights, and generally did everything in exactly the worst possible manner. Wisconsin is now among dead loving last in the entire loving country for economic and employment metrics. And Walker still has more coming up, including loving with food stamps and drug testing.

The fact that Walker is an actual legitimate candidate for Republican Presidential candidacy should have had this country struck down by the fist of an angry God long, long ago.

Hurricane season's just around the corner. Doesn't do much to WI but they've had enough poo poo between Walker and the Packers.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Don't get that supernova black hole of hope known affectionately as the Brew Crew.

At least we got Ueck goddamnit.

cbservo
Dec 26, 2009

by exmarx
It's really, really sad when I enjoy working more in inventory at a Home Depot warehouse then I did trying to deal with being an adjunct.

No one believes me when I tell them this:sigh:

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

staticman posted:

Thanks to McCain, a Austrialian-British mining company is going to steal Apache land, in tyool 2015.

Not only did McCain sell a piece of Apache land by loving slipping it into a military funding bill last second, he sold it to a goddman Rio Tinto affiliate? I mean drat that's loving brutal. Selling off Native American land to a foreign mining company with an horrific history. Bravo McCain you loving rear end. Barring turning it into a bombing range, I can't think of a worse fate for a parcel of land than being mined by Rio Tinto.

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jun 1, 2015

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
See ya, 215. Officially gonna expire. Senate adjourned.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

A show with more than its share of "cain't" and "ain't" utterances.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Arkane posted:

See ya, 215. Officially gonna expire. Senate adjourned.
A good thing happened?!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

A good thing happened?!

Wait, wait, is this clear, though!? Can they not meet in the dead of night, not bother to call quorum, and pass an extension, like they did with that Israeli rearmament thing last year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

A good thing happened?!

They're almost certainly just replacing it with the Freedom Act, which seems to be an improvement on where we are now, but not as good as leaving the whole thing as expired.

• Locked thread