Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

flatluigi posted:

do you realize how much of a trainwreck stickers persisting between games would be

Personally, I think it would be pretty sweet if you could roll up to a legacy event with a Playset of Memnites, Ornithopters, and whatever the other 0 drop creatures are as 10/10s with literally every keyword and more on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

OneDeadman posted:

Personally, I think it would be pretty sweet if you could roll up to a legacy event with a Playset of Memnites, Ornithopters, and whatever the other 0 drop creatures are as 10/10s with literally every keyword and more on them.

Magic: The Gathering as Richard Garfield intended.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

fadam posted:

Straight up this would be life changing to open as a twelve year old.

holy poo poo.

Nissa brawl deck upgrade lol

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

That elf is insanely sick and I'll absolutely try it in modern elves

It will still be bad though probably

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

fadam posted:

Timmy, Power Gamer getting a glow up

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Cactrot posted:

Patrick's incredulity and outright contempt is so loving funny.

Cedric finally getting the joke several minutes later absolutely broke me.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Boy that sure is a Vile Cauldron target

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Cactrot posted:

No idea where "Pauper people love artifacts lands" comes from, they've always just been the lands that go in the artifact decks because they're synergistic. That sounds like something someone made up to talk themselves out banning artifact lands, Seat of the Synod ain't Brainstorm, no one thinks it's a staple.
i haven't played pauper or followed pauper that long but from what i knew about it before artifact lands did feel like a "staple" of that format. people seem to really like them.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Boy that sure is a Vile Cauldron target

you mean that elf? how so?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Probably means Soul Cauldron.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

fadam posted:

The power level of creatures are loving insane these days. Might as well make it a 4/5 with trample as well.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Baller Ina posted:

I get what you're saying, but this would have been unenforceable in practice. You would cycle in ______ Goblins from game to game until the right sticker landed. "Oh yeah this Facetious Goblin came to be three months ago, in Canada. The opponent? You've never met them."

Huh? I mean the idea would be these cards are printed/created in draft, but in practice for constructed you would just make the one you wanted and they'd functionally be designing cards with many variants including the best one a legacy player would obviously use (and basically reducing the variants back to 1 real option depending on the card design, which is a normal card they can account for.)

I don't like stickers being an RNG thing at all, not a fan of dice rolling and coin flips either in MtG, leave it to Hearthstone. I'd definitely prefer everyone out Facetious Goblins in their deck than use the lovely sticker sheet roulette nonsense they came up with. Applying a sticker should be a deck building choice. The mechanic of applying stickers through tickets and etbs and this other poo poo made for all of the worst and least fun cards of the set.

The obnoxious thing about stickers should've been people who didn't play Unfinity wondering why their opponents cards are marked with stickers. And that's why they'd probably ban it in legacy but it would be okay because we got to deface some cards at FNM as a mechanic along the way.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Probably means Soul Cauldron.

Yeah, allowing every creature to tap and play stuff for a single mana seems potentially rather powerful

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
If stickers were going to be permanent there would ideally be a drawback between sticker choice as a way of making it a choice as opposed to one clear best one, but at that point just design more cards.

Also drawbacks, lol

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Khanstant posted:

Huh? I mean the idea would be these cards are printed/created in draft, but in practice for constructed you would just make the one you wanted and they'd functionally be designing cards with many variants including the best one a legacy player would obviously use (and basically reducing the variants back to 1 real option depending on the card design, which is a normal card they can account for.)

I don't like stickers being an RNG thing at all, not a fan of dice rolling and coin flips either in MtG, leave it to Hearthstone. I'd definitely prefer everyone out Facetious Goblins in their deck than use the lovely sticker sheet roulette nonsense they came up with. Applying a sticker should be a deck building choice. The mechanic of applying stickers through tickets and etbs and this other poo poo made for all of the worst and least fun cards of the set.

The obnoxious thing about stickers should've been people who didn't play Unfinity wondering why their opponents cards are marked with stickers. And that's why they'd probably ban it in legacy but it would be okay because we got to deface some cards at FNM as a mechanic along the way.

Names and sunglasses aren't the only stickers on the sheets.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Jabor posted:

Names and sunglasses aren't the only stickers on the sheets.

Yep.

ilmucche posted:

If stickers were going to be permanent there would ideally be a drawback between sticker choice as a way of making it a choice as opposed to one clear best one, but at that point just design more cards.

Also drawbacks, lol

The stickers they went with were also really underwhelming and most stickers don't even look like they're mtg things, on top of needing a mechanical overhaul to be fun. And definitely lol drawbacks, if they couldn't manage it for The One Ring they'll never manage it.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 16:21 on May 16, 2024

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Sickening posted:

The power level of creatures are loving insane these days. Might as well make it a 4/5 with trample as well.

Even though it seems pushed, how good is it actually? Like, can you really see this seeing non-EDH play? I don't like to write cards off super early, but 3 CMC + requires an untap + requires two other creatures + requires a big creature in hand or on top of library doesn't seem that strong to me, so most of the value has to be in the future sight effect. Is that good enough?

The dream line is get this out T2 off a dork, then T3 cast another creature or two from hand/top of library, then activate to cheat in something humongous. That seems cool but I think this guy is just going to die before that can happen most games.

fadam fucked around with this message at 17:01 on May 16, 2024

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

fadam posted:

Even though it seems pushed, how good is it actually? Like, can you really see this seeing non-EDH play? I don't like to write cards off super early, but 3 CMC + requires an untap + requires two other creatures + requires a big creature in hand or on top of library doesn't seem that strong to me, so most of the value has to be in the future sight effect. Is that good enough?

The dream line is get this out T2 off a dork, then T3 cast another creature or two from hand/top of library, then activate to cheat in something humongous. That seems cool but I think this guy is just going to die before that can happen most games.

3 CMC + requires an untap + requires extra creatures also describes Elvish Archdruid, who is actually a pretty good creature in the elves deck specifically and doesn't even come with a future sight effect.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Jabor posted:

3 CMC + requires an untap + requires extra creatures also describes Elvish Archdruid, who is actually a pretty good creature in the elves deck specifically and doesn't even come with a future sight effect.

It's a good card in a deck that is really bad, though. I don't think that counts as pushed.

EDIT: I guess the way I look at it is, regardless of how pushed a creature is, it has to be pretty dang pushed to be better than 0-1 MV Instant - Remove Target Creature.

fadam fucked around with this message at 17:34 on May 16, 2024

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I know this is a niche problem but it is kind of a bummer there are only 8 common Attractions, so you can't make a legal Attractions deck in Pauper EDH. We just need 2 more!

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

fadam posted:

It's a good card in a deck that is really bad, though. I don't think that counts as pushed.

EDIT: I guess the way I look at it is, regardless of how pushed a creature is, it has to be pretty dang pushed to be better than 0-1 MV Instant - Remove Target Creature.

yeah even though I'm excited to try it out in elves I'm still gonna end up going 1-3 or something.

It honestly needs another point of toughness probably so that at least it doesn't die to bolt, weirdly enough. I guess the dream is building a board and then cheating in craterhoof or something

Cool effect though, I'm actually sort of more excited about trying it in the elemental tribal shell I have where I can use flamekin harbringer to control what's on top of my deck. I'd have to check what the biggest elemental I could sneak in would be though

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

fadam posted:

This is a fair question. I feel like even if its not immediately good, there is just so much to the card and what it can do. That was more my comment on power level. An on rate elf with a card advantage engine. Fine. An elf with a sneak attack attached, although conditional, also fine. Sneak attack from the top of the library? Dang.

Its also at instant speed which is wild, even though its limited to your turn. Its just a lot to tack on to a creature. You still have to have other creatures , you still have to untap with it, so its not all upside right away.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

I just want to sneak in regal force, is that so wrong

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I think that Eladamri not being really good currently is a great example of how pushed stuff is nowadays tbh.

Like if this card were printed 15 years ago it would be the stone cold nuts lol

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Fajita Queen posted:

I think that Eladamri not being really good currently is a great example of how pushed stuff is nowadays tbh.

I feel like the whole "dies to doomblade" thing has always been a criticism of creatures

but the thing is that removal has gotten so incredibly efficient that something that requires a couple extra creatures and an extra turn AND something to be on top of your deck/in your hand to play is just a lot of hoops. You just can't really run lots of decks out of removal anymore and oftentimes you don't even really get a tap out turn since they can still have solitude or whatever

which I guess is a way too wordy way of saying yeah I totally agree lol

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Fajita Queen posted:

Maybe, but I think on the back of the Future Sight effect only.

A lot of these lists from 2009 don't look like they'll have problems smoking a 3 CMC 3/3, but I guess that Elves deck would like this maybe. https://articles.starcitygames.com/articles/down-and-dirty-the-top-10-decks-of-2009/

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

fadam posted:

Maybe, but I think on the back of the Future Sight effect only.

A lot of these lists from 2009 don't look like they'll have problems smoking a 3 CMC 3/3, but I guess that Elves deck would like this maybe. https://articles.starcitygames.com/articles/down-and-dirty-the-top-10-decks-of-2009/

I also think if it is playable it will be on the back of the future sight thing because that's what lets it generate immediately value, but I think judgement of its mana-cheating side is probably highly meta-dependent b/c a green 3CMC 3/3 with no defensive abilities has basically never been hard to remove in even very weak standards, but it still might be worth it if there are sufficiently broken things to try to get into play or not

it reads like an attempt at making a playable elvish piper, a card which obviously has always had an extremely strong ability but was also p clearly competitively bad due to being expensive/slow/having a worthless body - shave a mana, improve the ability, and weaken the mana cheating and (with sufficient support) it suddenly starts looking worth fringe consideration (albeit not in the non-Commander formats MH3 feeds into)

that they felt they had to staple a strong draw engine to it makes me wonder what the various design iterations were

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Doesn't matter that Eladamri dies to removal, the elves you played to tap for eladamri's ability are already dead to Plague Engineer before you'll get to activate it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Cactrot posted:

Doesn't matter that Eladamri dies to removal, the elves you played to tap for eladamri's ability are already dead to Plague Engineer before you'll get to activate it.

I don't think plague engineer has been in a sideboard in years. Elves might be one of the few tribes left where its more relevant, but even plague engineer is getting outclassed these days.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Sickening posted:

I don't think plague engineer has been in a sideboard in years. Elves might be one of the few tribes left where its more relevant, but even plague engineer is getting outclassed these days.

Sad times when even the boogeymen get scared outta the format

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

tbh if tribal decks were actually good enough to warrant plague engineer it'd be a pretty great place for them to be

as it is there's just no real reason to run it because none of them are strong enough to justify specific sideboard slots for the hate

edit: plus the only decks that are really hit by it are humans and elves. Pretty much all the relevant merfolk are x/2s aside from the flash lord and now the 1 drop green one. Tideshaper is I guess sometimes a 1/1 depending on build and opponent

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 22:03 on May 16, 2024

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Weird Pumpkin posted:

tbh if tribal decks were actually good enough to warrant plague engineer it'd be a pretty great place for them to be

as it is there's just no real reason to run it because none of them are strong enough to justify specific sideboard slots for the hate

Eh, 3 mana sweepers keep getting better and are relevant to the non-tribal decks. Fish could be t1 and nobody is putting in plague engineer with the current toolset available.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Plague engineer seemed like it could be a house but disappeared so quickly

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Why pay three for an antilord when lords cost two and have extra effects and the creatures all have etb

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

Why pay three for an antilord when lords cost two and have extra effects and the creatures all have etb

Basically. If its not killing x/1's consistently I would rather play path of peril and stuff.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Looking at the spoilers, smh that they made planar nexus a commander rare. Feels like a great constructed card, possibly easy multiple-of in tron or locus, kind of lovely to put it in the $80 product you're guaranteed to only get one at a time of.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Looking at the spoilers, smh that they made planar nexus a commander rare. Feels like a great constructed card, possibly easy multiple-of in tron or locus, kind of lovely to put it in the $80 product you're guaranteed to only get one at a time of.

It's a four-of in Tron because it turns on all Tron lands

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Aren't all commander cards essentially the same rarity because they come as 1-ofs in commander decks?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ilmucche posted:

Aren't all commander cards essentially the same rarity because they come as 1-ofs in commander decks?

Basically.
But if you mark something common it goes into pauper, and if you mark too much mythic the accountants will complain about too much value

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
I believe its commons are in 3 or more decks, uncommons in 2 decks, and rares/mythic only in one deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What an awful system. Cards that are 1-ofs in decks that'll sell for like 50 bucks