Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I can't wait to hear what you think of Go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

boom boom boom posted:

Also, all three Getter forms were super ugly.

This is were we disagree.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

there was a new Musashi who didn't do anything

*launches a beam of concentrated smugger rays at Droyer*

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
The Hyakki Empire wasn't as good as the dinosaur people. At first it was great, they were demons from hell. The story about them building a sky scraper just to horribly kill the people inside was owned. They're demons, they wanna spread suffering and misery. Great, got it. But they also have giant robots and fight Getter for some reason? So there was a clearly written years later story shoved in the middle explaining they weren't actually demons it was an alien brain from the future that dumped technical knowledge and the desire to destroy the Getter into some dude's brain, and also the dude decided to take over the world and make a torture skyscraper for some reason?

Maybe that'll become retroactively cool when I get to the part where they fight the aliens.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

dis astranagant posted:

I can't wait to hear what you think of Go.

can't remember if I've mentioned this before but chalk me up as one of those rare people who didn't like Go at all, didn't really feel like it did anything besides mechanical design well

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I read Volume 1 of Getter Robo Go.

It was really super great and badass

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
The new Getter-1looks so cool, it's like the lovechild of the Guyver and the Gunbuster

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
My thoughts on Getter Robo Go volume 2

So Sho is a woman? I almost admire the dude's commitment to not having any tits in his manga. Except that the robot has tits.

Oh my god the American robots are the coolest robots! I want the series to be about them now. And the Americans figured out that it's helpful to have more than one robot! And, best of all, one of the pilots is a character who was supposed to be in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure but got lost!

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
Oh huh, that must be where they got that Ron Jeremy-looking guy from Armageddon came from. I Kind of had a little Getter fatigue after marathoning the first two series but I should really pick it up again.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I have read volume 3 of Getter Robo Go.

A British lesbian, obese Canadians, overcoming racism, and finally, [i]finally, tits. This series has everything! Seriously, the international robots are so great, it's Pacific Rim now!

A strong focus on repair and maintenance of the robots, the Getter use just a rifle instead of a magical ax, the bad guy robots are piloted instead of just being monsters, the main character has to use a little lovely robot cause his big cool robot is smashed up. Is Getter Robo turning into a Real Robot series?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Getter Robo Go breaks new ground by having two female characters.

What's next, two female characters at the same time?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

Getter Robo Go breaks new ground by having two female characters.

What's next, two female characters at the same time?

I mean really, how else am I supposed to have two chicks at the same time.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I liked the Getter Robo Go more than the Shin Getter Robo

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Does the Getter Robo Go anime end the same way as the manga?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

The Go anime has basically nothing in common with the manga except for general character concepts and mech designs. The Go manga is generally considered Ishikawa's greatest work (although it isn't my personal favorite), while the Go anime is considered the worst thing to come out of the entire franchise.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I watched this video of the cartoon and imagining Gai merging with the Getter Robo in that style of animation and with that score is really funny.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The one with the sanskrit title was really going places :negative:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

boom boom boom posted:

I have read volume 3 of Getter Robo Go.

A British lesbian, obese Canadians, overcoming racism, and finally, [i]finally, tits. This series has everything! Seriously, the international robots are so great, it's Pacific Rim now!

A strong focus on repair and maintenance of the robots, the Getter use just a rifle instead of a magical ax, the bad guy robots are piloted instead of just being monsters, the main character has to use a little lovely robot cause his big cool robot is smashed up. Is Getter Robo turning into a Real Robot series?

Personally I hated that cause the Getter Robo Go stays wrecked longer than it actually does anything, makes a very large chunk of Go really boring to read(although the other parts aren't all that great either)

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
The Stell Bomber is way cooler than the Getter Robo

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I don't think the Getter Robo Go anime even uses any form other than Getter 1 until episode six or seven, and even past that they are only rarely used.

Getter 1 form also gets a super mode at one point that's just stronger than either of the other forms.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

I don't think the Getter Robo Go anime even uses any form other than Getter 1 until episode six or seven, and even past that they are only rarely used.

Getter 1 form also gets a super mode at one point that's just stronger than either of the other forms.

To be fair the manga is pretty bad about using anything than 1 too. 2 gets some action but 3 only shows up once.

Edit: And 1 gets an upgrade too, after which 2 and 3 are never seen again.

Droyer fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jul 19, 2015

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

boom boom boom posted:

I watched this video of the cartoon and imagining Gai merging with the Getter Robo in that style of animation and with that score is really funny.

This seems so wrong, Getter transformations' whole thing is that they are stupid fast and can change forms in like seconds during battles. :argh:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Light Gun Man posted:

This seems so wrong, Getter transformations' whole thing is that they are stupid fast and can change forms in like seconds during battles. :argh:

Yeah, but in general it's always more The Ryouma Show with guest appearance by Hayato and occasionally remembering that whichever fat guy's still alive exists.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

dis astranagant posted:

Yeah, but in general it's always more The Ryouma Show with guest appearance by Hayato and occasionally remembering that whichever fat guy's still alive exists.

One reactor pull makes up for a lifetime of doing nothing.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Light Gun Man posted:

One reactor pull makes up for a lifetime of doing nothing.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Blue Gender is not a happy show

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
It's weird that Marlene had the exact same haircut her entire life, except for the ponytails. I guess when she became a teenager only the hair on the back of her neck grew.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I imagine they cut out all the breast squeezing when they aired Blue Gender on Toonami.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Man I really hate that Blue Gender is bad especially because it's the closest thing I'm getting to a giant robot bug hunt show. I've always wanted essentially starship troopers with Gundams. I know starship troopers has the power armor but it's not the same.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I'm only a few episodes in, but it's not bad yet.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Blue Gender isn't like Best Anime Ever but it's p good, very underrated.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Things aren't going to end well for Yuji's new nomad wife, are they?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom posted:

Things aren't going to end well for Yuji's new nomad wife, are they?

Not as bad as I expected! I thoguht her entire tribe was gonna get killed and Yuji was gonna have no choice but to keep going with Marlene. I guess that would've been repetitive after what the Yung stuff, and the way they did it gave Yuji some character growth.

This show knows how to balance out everybody gets loving killed style depressing with nobody gets to be happy style depressing

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I just went and watched the new Aquarion OVA because I didn't even know Logos was out and that was before.

As a crossover it was a bit lacking, the original cast barely does anything. But goddammit focusing on Yunoha and Jin's love and reincarnations was the best goddamn thing they could've done. I swear they had me both in tears and with this giant grin, I'm so glad that the main love duo aren't the only ones that get focus and a happy ending. I definitely enjoyed it a lot, and it was just the right amount of over-the-top like Aquarion should be. Needed more Fudou, though, but then again, everything does.

Now to actually watch Logos, which I don't think I'm nearly as excited about.

EDIT: First episode of Logos...I don't fully understand what's going on, but apparently Fudou is the villain? And the hero is the man who walks the path of Heaven, to conquer it all, Tendou Souji?

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jul 23, 2015

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Blaze Dragon posted:

I just went and watched the new Aquarion OVA because I didn't even know Logos was out and that was before.

As a crossover it was a bit lacking, the original cast barely does anything. But goddammit focusing on Yunoha and Jin's love and reincarnations was the best goddamn thing they could've done. I swear they had me both in tears and with this giant grin, I'm so glad that the main love duo aren't the only ones that get focus and a happy ending. I definitely enjoyed it a lot, and it was just the right amount of over-the-top like Aquarion should be. Needed more Fudou, though, but then again, everything does.

Now to actually watch Logos, which I don't think I'm nearly as excited about.

EDIT: First episode of Logos...I don't fully understand what's going on, but apparently Fudou is the villain? And the hero is the man who walks the path of Heaven, to conquer it all, Tendou Souji?

Zen/Gen Fudo was ALWAYS the villain. All of this, every war every death every fight was all his fault.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Logos is kinda weird. I'm not sure how I feel about it so far but I'm digging the music, and the Persona-ish/#FE-ish setting is neat?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Someone tell me if Logos gets better because I watched the first episode and thought it was awful.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
Logos makes me feel like I'm missing something. I kind of understand that it's heavily based on puns, but that tends to fly over my head as I don't know Japanese. I also stopped at the first episode. At least we got an OVA with a mechanical frog?

Also I've been watching more of M3. Everyone is crying all the time, even Edgemaster McStabbity, and usually for good reasons. I was afraid that I might not finish it as it's been described as "boring," but so far it's been much less about boredom and more about despair and depression.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Zen/Gen Fudo was ALWAYS the villain. All of this, every war every death every fight was all his fault.

Every single thing in both original and EVOL could have been fully prevented by Fudou sacking up at any point, yeah.

It's more of an atrocity in the original because the angels were kidnapping and killing ridiculous numbers of people, but even the more restrained EVOL antagonists were kidnapping women and those women were dying due to magic space rays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

• Locked thread