Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Tfw you buy an older but factory sealed multi kit, open it up six months later, find out that the factory made an error with one of the kits and packed two runners for the torso instead of the one you need for the arms :smith:

Back to prowling ebay I go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Crazy to think this is just about only a third of the way through the build.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I realize that I have a distinct lack of Master Grades, not helped by the fact that they're not as common in either release windows or in availability at my local shops.

That said, the store got in the 2009 MG Exia and it's selling for $54 CAD. Is that a good price for an MG and how does 2009 Master grade articulation compare to modern HGs?

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

I realize that I have a distinct lack of Master Grades, not helped by the fact that they're not as common in either release windows or in availability at my local shops.

That said, the store got in the 2009 MG Exia and it's selling for $54 CAD. Is that a good price for an MG and how does 2009 Master grade articulation compare to modern HGs?

$54 is a good price but the kit isn't great. It has lots of bits that fall off easily, the hands barely hold any of the weapons and the legs have trouble both staying in the hip socket and staying upright.
Lots of people complain about RGs loosing joint strength over time but I've only ever seen it with my MG Exia. It just won't stand up anymore.
Other MG kits made around the same time don't seem to have the same problems.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
get the mg acguy. it is as close to perfection as we will find on this planet.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Personally I have a soft spot for the MG Exia but..

Kibner posted:

get the mg acguy. it is as close to perfection as we will find on this planet.

Yeah, this.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

I'm slowly building the eco version and really hate the neck. It's a solid rod with a ball joint.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Arc Hammer posted:

I am a giant fan of 00. MG Exia is... one of the most disapointing MGs I have. I have some that are MUCH worse, but they also come with a lower price, or are 10 years older. The swords don't stay on very well, and the gimmicks are difficult to do. Articulation is.. well ~true to exia~ but that also means there isn't great articulation.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Tin Tim posted:

Tfw you buy an older but factory sealed multi kit, open it up six months later, find out that the factory made an error with one of the kits and packed two runners for the torso instead of the one you need for the arms :smith:

Back to prowling ebay I go

It's time to find someone online who has two sets of arms and meet your soulmate.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Well, that was an enjoyable time. I gotta say again how interesting the mechanism and construction was, and I really dig that painting isn't required, as when I was a kid, that was always the point I would put everything off on a model build and it would sit on a shelf, so that really is a plus to these i feel. That and the snap together nature makes it basically like putting together a lego set with a little extra fiddlyness of cutting out and cleaning pieces, and something easy to do while having nothing better to do. I don't know if I'll ever build another one of these things, but now that I've done it, I wouldn't be opposed to it down the line if I have a modeling itch. Honestly since I haven't done any models in 20 years since I was a kid, do they do models of other things besides anime robots, in this style of non required painting?

In any case, heres the finished product, though I'm not super happy with the weathering job I did on it, overall its good enough for now and sitting on a shelf, and I can always wipe it off and redo parts if I want to after sitting with it a while.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 6, 2024

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Bandai makes Star Wars models, too. I think they might also have released some models on other anime things like Space Battleship Yamato.

If you want to try a different manufacturer, Kotobukiya makes Zoids which are anime dinosaur robots, if that makes a difference.

You can also find Transfomers kits, Pokemon kits, some actual dinosaur kits, etc.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Huh, I should find out when the local scale modeling convention is happening this year. A month? Perfect time to start working on a custom paintjob from scratch, yeah.

That's the Frame Arms Bergflinker, a "transforming" mecha, which mostly means it lays down and flips the arms backward to be thrusters.

On the "plus" side, my whole home office now smells like AK paints and Vallejo airbrush thinner, despite the vent hood and big-rear end window having been open all afternoon yesterday. It's got a very distinct "mixed berry" aroma that's not entirely unpleasant. Now I've just gotta settle on an actual color scheme...

The Muffinlord fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 6, 2024

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Tom Guycot posted:

Well, that was an enjoyable time. I gotta say again how interesting the mechanism and construction was, and I really dig that painting isn't required, as when I was a kid, that was always the point I would put everything off on a model build and it would sit on a shelf, so that really is a plus to these i feel. That and the snap together nature makes it basically like putting together a lego set with a little extra fiddlyness of cutting out and cleaning pieces, and something easy to do while having nothing better to do. I don't know if I'll ever build another one of these things, but now that I've done it, I wouldn't be opposed to it down the line if I have a modeling itch. Honestly since I haven't done any models in 20 years since I was a kid, do they do models of other things besides anime robots, in this style of non required painting?

In any case, heres the finished product, though I'm not super happy with the weathering job I did on it, overall its good enough for now and sitting on a shelf, and I can always wipe it off and redo parts if I want to after sitting with it a while.

We're never happy with our own work. But this looks really slick. You sure this was your first time in 20 years?

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah that looks sicknasty as hell and awesome.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Tom Guycot posted:

Weathering is one of those things that always looks worst to the person who did the weathering because all they can see are the brush strokes they did. As an outside observer though this is great and I really like the bronze painted parts looking like field repairs with salvaged parts

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

I’m just swinging by to say that the RG Zeong I’m currently building is so loving good. Just A+ no notes.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Zeong is such a beautiful machine....
I got that RG as a gift recently, I wanna build it soon too

Cerebulon
Mar 29, 2010

Destroyer of Worlds*
(*No worlds were harmed in the making of this title.)

RG Zeong is probably my favourite of all the gunpla I've done so far and I love posing its big dumb gun hands.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Have the shield and rifle left but basically done. Will have to do another pose in a different configuration. Very fun, quick, and easy kit (other than the stickers being awful and there being so. much. panel. lining. to do).

Kibner fucked around with this message at 21:26 on May 6, 2024

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Kibner posted:

Have the shield and rifle left but basically done. Will have to do another pose in a different configuration.

noice I also just built this guy. he's hard to get stood up straight because of the back weight

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Buck Wildman posted:

noice I also just built this guy. he's hard to get stood up straight because of the back weight

yeah, i also have that problem. and then when actually wielding those lobster claws, he falls forward on them. lol

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
One more pose

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
This will be my next kit and will likely take me about a month to do.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
One of these days they will release a PG Sazabi and my life will be complete

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Pierson posted:

Crazy to think this is just about only a third of the way through the build.
Some drat nice shading there. Looks good.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Zeong is such a beautiful machine....
I got that RG as a gift recently, I wanna build it soon too

I need to get it, myself. I really, really, wish they'd release an official perfect zeong conversion kit or something for it.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I was feeling burned out on video games tonight so I snap-fit one of my GM Spartan kits. I left the clear accent parts off since I'm going to give it a paint job and I don't want to deal with pulling off or masking those bits.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/gdam429mk2/status/1787842906067468775

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

That is drat impressive that the mg unicorn psychoframe can be used by the narrative and you couldn't tell it wasn't part of the base kit. Between this and the zeta he's been cooking lately.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Monaghan posted:

That is drat impressive that the mg unicorn psychoframe can be used by the narrative and you couldn't tell it wasn't part of the base kit. Between this and the zeta he's been cooking lately.

big fan of this one i saw a bit back, hopefully there's some third party mg psychoframes in the works somewhere because i kinda want a full set for when i eventually get around to getting a narrative

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

That's just Kamen Rider Build

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Waffleman_ posted:

That's just Kamen Rider Build

HELL yeah

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
Unicorn Banshee Norn is complete

party mode:

my only real complaint is that the matte varnish has made the transparent pieces dimmer. I should use some cotton swabs and a solvent to clean it but :effort:

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Just started my first Gunpla, Gundam Aerial. Really enjoying so far, but the tony stickers suck. Can you use a gundam marker for the eyes instead to give them a glow similar if you used the stickers? Also, so panel lining be done during or after assembly? I almost got the head done but none of the other parts yet

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Do the eye stickers

It's a rite of passage

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08yTIIdyUpc

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Bandai Gunpla advertisement or Anaheim Electronics investors pitch?

The locking mechanisms look really neat and I hope they work out. It would be great for future RG's to avoid becoming hand grenades. 3500 Yen isn't bad either, though I know with markups I'll probably be spending closer to $50 CAD on it.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/HobbySite/status/1788005999355613247

1/144 scale 1980 revival.

https://twitter.com/hobby_magazine/status/1788008444718715116

Kotobukia is also making a V4 Rusty kit.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 03:24 on May 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Waffleman_ posted:

Do the eye stickers

It's a rite of passage

Unfortunately I loss the eye stickers. I really need to get precision tweezers