Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Stonefish posted:

Sure, it was infiltrated over years. What I'm saying is that Fury wanted to take it back, and Cap said "gently caress that, it's 98% corrupt. There's no coming back from that. We're going to take it down. And he did, in an afternoon. With Fury, Hill, Romanov and Token McWingsuit.

I mean, you basically have three of the biggest badasses in the entire MCU in that list, including literally the best soldier on Earth and the best spy on Earth. And Hill and Token McWingsuit aren't really that far behind them, they're just not superheroes. If it's plausible for anyone to take down SHIELD it's plausible for them to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I mean, you basically have three of the biggest badasses in the entire MCU in that list, including literally the best soldier on Earth and the best spy on Earth. And Hill and Token McWingsuit aren't really that far behind them, they're just not superheroes. If it's plausible for anyone to take down SHIELD it's plausible for them to do it.

It also wasn't just them. Did Stonefish miss the entire part where Cap gave his speech saying "hey, if you don't work for Hydra we could really use your help" or something? Very few members of SHIELD were actually Hydra members, but they were the guys in charge of poo poo. Most of the grunts were really SHIELD. The reason it had to be taken down wasn't because it was "98% Hydra," it was because the goals of SHIELD and the goals of Hydra were equally as fascist, to the point where even those loyal to SHIELD couldn't tell that they were being controlled by a group of evil pseudo-nazis.

It will never cease to amaze me how goons can miss obvious plot points and events in movies and then complain that the movie is bad. It happened with ASM2 and apparently Cap2 as well.

E: Also the Hellicarrier from Avengers is maybe still out there, but it didn't have all the fancy new guns and computer systems that the new ones they were building did. They may have at some point retrofitted it if they needed to, but it probably wasn't a priority. They also could have just scuttled the thing after the beating it took in Avengers depending on if it was cost effective to repair or not.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I think Captain America was the much stronger movie. If anything, my biggest complaint was how Falcon also happened to be just a random military vet who also just happened to have access and experience with top secret superhero tech.

It felt a bit like over in the big Bracken book thread how it just so happens all these unrelated supersoldier patriots happen to come together out of nowhere by accident to save America.

But even I admit that I enjoyed the rest of the film so much that I don't even really hold that as a major criticism on the film.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Just caught this, and what a fascinatingly flawed movie! The fight direction and action is mesmerizing, the pace insanely dull, the acting by most really committed, the tone about as sensible as the mutters of a schizophrenic. I thought I might skip ahead to my favorite parts like FMV in a 90s game, but I think as a whole this movie is worth watching. The ending alone is memorable, which of course was almost bumbled by a grueling few minutes at the end. It really does feel like a bunch of people worked on this soup, and no one had the balls to commit to any individual vision.

Wormy
Feb 1, 2009
I liked ASM 1 and loved this movie, maybe because it fit perfectly with how I've always viewed Spiderman...a goofy but loveable kid who suddenly got superpowers and has to figure out how best to use them, and inevitably makes mistakes along the way. Yeah, it was a little too long and a lot of the stuff with Peter's parents felt drawn out and unnecessary, but I forgive all of that just for Spidey in a fireman's hat and Sally Field being adorably awesome at everything. She reminded me of Diane Lane's Martha Kent, in that regardless of the circumstances by which Peter came into her life, he's hers now and she's terrified of losing him to the ghosts of his parents.

I do get how some people are put off by the editing and dialogue, but I don't get the complaint of it being too "comic booky". Umm...isn't that kind of the point of making a movie based on a comic book? Like are there really people who go to movies titled "The Amazing Spiderman" and "The Avengers" and expect them to not be sort of over the top and (somewhat) silly? Not trying to be flippant, I just think some people go into these movies with unrealistic expectations, and then get mad when they aren't met.

Last thing: Which one of you assholes was sitting behind me and sighing loudly the whole time? I get it, you hate the movie and of course you're entitled to your opinion. But only a goon or someone with absolutely the worst social skills on earth would think it was appropriate to let the whole theater know what you think by being really loving obnoxious for 2+ hours.

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

People asking Peter Parker to get Spider-Man for them continues to be incredibly dumb. You think he can ask Spider-Man because he takes his pictures from a distance? Do people ask the paparazzi to get James Franco to come to their party? What if Peter Parker wasn't Spider-Man? How would that scene play out?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Conal Cochran posted:

People asking Peter Parker to get Spider-Man for them continues to be incredibly dumb. You think he can ask Spider-Man because he takes his pictures from a distance? Do people ask the paparazzi to get James Franco to come to their party? What if Peter Parker wasn't Spider-Man? How would that scene play out?

The bolded line would have killed if Peter had asked it in the movie.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Conal Cochran posted:

At least in the Raimi films he had some gimmick where he claimed to be "Spider-Man's personal reporter" or some bullshit like that.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

If only one guy can get pictures of Spidey, and he gets them every fight, people would probably figure something was up.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

It would depend on how often Peter sells his shots to the Bugle.

I did like how Peter was like "I was *really* far away! I just had a really long lens!" and trying to photography 101 his way out of that.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

TheJoker138 posted:

If only one guy can get pictures of Spidey, and he gets them every fight, people would probably figure something was up.

People at the Bugle would but originally in the comics, right from the get-go, Peter's stipulation to Jonah was that he not be credited.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Lobok posted:

People at the Bugle would but originally in the comics, right from the get-go, Peter's stipulation to Jonah was that he not be credited.

Yea at least in the Raimi films it's heavily hinted that Robbie has an idea that Peter is Spider-Man.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Vintimus Prime posted:

Yea at least in the Raimi films it's heavily hinted that Robbie has an idea that Peter is Spider-Man.

And I just remembered that Raimi kept the anonymity in there. The Green Goblin busts into the Bugle to interrogate Jonah as to the identity of the photographer.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Lobok posted:

And I just remembered that Raimi kept the anonymity in there. The Green Goblin busts into the Bugle to interrogate Jonah as to the identity of the photographer.

And Jonah refuses to say, even as his life is being threatened. It's a pretty great moment which shows that Jonah may be an rear end in a top hat, but he's not an rear end in a top hat.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Jameson gets a few neat moments like that in the comics. I remember when Bastion was a thing and was trying to bully him with government boogeyman stuff like "We can find out all sorts of things about you", Jameson basically threw his wallet at him, told him to look at all of it and that he'd be sending to Bugle to investigate Bastion.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Benedick Cuckold posted:

And Jonah refuses to say, even as his life is being threatened. It's a pretty great moment which shows that Jonah may be an rear end in a top hat, but he's not an rear end in a top hat.

You know except when he is making and funding super-villains.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Hey, they didn't start out as super villains....

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

JT Smiley posted:

Hey, they didn't start out as super villains....

Scorpion went from sane to fucken batshit and wanting to kill everyone pretty quickly. Then he started to eat people.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Also the Spider-Slayers.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
You guys are ignoring how those are both actually Spider-Man's fault.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Gyges posted:

You guys are ignoring how those are both actually Spider-Man's fault.

Yes the Scorpion is Spider-mans fault since JJJ had to hire the PI to follow Peter Parker, and then hire him as a test subject for a dangerous experiment for the sole purpose of beating Spider-man.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Ah, but Jameson is more or less fair to everyone who isn't Spider-man. He likes the X-Men just fine.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

DeathChicken posted:

Ah, but Jameson is more or less fair to everyone who isn't Spider-man. He likes the X-Men just fine.

Depending on how JJ feels that day or who is writing him. But generally he likes heroes with public identities and on teams but doesn't like those with secret identities and those who work alone.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

bobkatt013 posted:

Yes the Scorpion is Spider-mans fault since JJJ had to hire the PI to follow Peter Parker, and then hire him as a test subject for a dangerous experiment for the sole purpose of beating Spider-man.

Exactly, if Spider-Man wasn't such a secretive menace JJJ wouldn't have been forced to act for the good of the city.

TryAgainBragg
May 5, 2014
"JJJ: The hero our city deserves"

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

TryAgainBragg posted:

"JJJ: The hero our city deserves"

He truly is the best hero

TryAgainBragg
May 5, 2014
And all this time I though Tony Stark was Iron-man, well played JJ. I hope the long-con works out for you :ninja:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Stonefish posted:

Do you really believe anyone else could nail it like that?
I'd be completely okay with going back to Simmons. Judi Dench survived the Bond reboot in 2006 just fine (and Desmond Llewelyn a few before that).

I think they should just dress up Daran Norris to look like JJJ did in Spectacular Spider-Man and inform him to just recreate all of the dialogue and scenarios from the show. Say what you will about Simmons (and he is good) but having this Jameson would be amazing :allears:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Stonefish posted:

Do you really believe anyone else could nail it like that?
I'd be completely okay with going back to Simmons. Judi Dench survived the Bond reboot in 2006 just fine (and Desmond Llewelyn a few before that).

Ronald Lee Ermey?

sulphix
Dec 15, 2008
Just got back from this. Really not understanding the critiques of it feeling overcrowded with various plots/villains. Thought it did a pretty good job of juggling all the threads, and it really didn't bug me that the Rhino guy was pretty much just a cameo.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

BiggerBoat posted:

Ronald Lee Ermey?

Wasn't he and John Slattery rumoured to have met with Mark Webb to discuss playing JJJ back in the very early days?

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain

Aces High posted:

I think they should just dress up Daran Norris to look like JJJ did in Spectacular Spider-Man and inform him to just recreate all of the dialogue and scenarios from the show. Say what you will about Simmons (and he is good) but having this Jameson would be amazing :allears:

I stand thoroughly corrected. I didn't know Cliff McCormack had it in him.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Stonefish posted:

I stand thoroughly corrected. I didn't know Cliff McCormack had it in him.

I can actually see that cartoon character's blood pressure rising. That's an excellent portrayal.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

bobkatt013 posted:

You know except when he is making and funding super-villains.

Yeah well he felt really bad about it afterwards, okay.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So, I saw it, and I won't lie.

I can't say I cared for it. Max was just uncomfortably goony and then became an insane super villain because he got power. The Spider-Man scenes, for the most part, were great but SUPER few and far between, Peter becomes a straight up stalker for a bit, and 90% of the movie is built on a doomed relationship and people talking. Harry gets dropped in out of no where, Norman drops out, though I suspect he's still alive, and all of the characters are either smug and snarky, thus the heroes, or cartoon villains, everyone else.

Which, I guess, makes it pretty close to the comic book origins.

Can't say I cared for how they just straight up murder Max without a second thought, and the continued pointed ignoring of Uncle Ben's killer is annoying because the longer that goes unresolved, the more likely it's going to build up into some dumb thing, like the guy is secretly Cletus Kasady. If they just never bring him back up, though, that'd be fine. I guess we'll see.

Also, yeah, Harry is just rushed as gently caress and almost feels like they really wanted to kill Gwen off in this movie and forgot to have Max be responsible.

Honestly most of my issues fall with Harry. Dude shows up looking creepy as possible, gets worse, and acts like a villain from scene one. We get no humanity with the guy because even when he and Peter meet back up, it's a heavy dose of "HEY REMEMBER HOW WE USED TO BE GREAT FRIENDS" which just makes me think of the original (two) movies and how they did this relationship a lot better.

So yeah, can't say I enjoyed it all that much.

Could of been worse though.

I wonder if Harry's Felicia's last name is Hardy.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Honestly how could anyone go in thinking the sequel was going to be better than utter poo poo after seeing the first one? Its kind of a shame since Spider-Man could be a fun movie, but instead of having the character just have fun being Spider-Man, you have to shoe horn him in as a Nolen Batman type character. The only kudos I can really give this film is they didn't pussy out on the 1 death scene, even if I was laughing the entire time for how comically bad it was.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Honestly how could anyone go in thinking the sequel was going to be better than utter poo poo after seeing the first one?

I loved the first one and the previews for this one looked really good? Not saying you're wrong, but "that's why" anyways.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

I'm still stumped that someone would think the first one was a good film instead of worthless schlock. It's plot was just as bad and nonsensical as this one. They're not much different.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I'm still stumped that someone would think the first one was a good film instead of worthless schlock. It's plot was just as bad and nonsensical as this one. They're not much different.

"HOW CAN PEOPLE LIKE SOMETHING I DON'T LIKE?!?!? I DON'T UNDERSTAND THE CONCEPT OF OPINION!"- Almost every post I've seen you make in this forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

TheJoker138 posted:

"HOW CAN PEOPLE LIKE SOMETHING I DON'T LIKE?!?!? I DON'T UNDERSTAND THE CONCEPT OF OPINION!"- Almost every post I've seen you make in this forum.

Writing something in giant caps and projecting helps prove whatever point you're trying to make and doesn't make you look foolish and hurt that someone doesn't like something you did.

• Locked thread