Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Male gourami shouldnt be housed with each other or with bettas. They're kind of similarly assholes to each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

republicant
Apr 5, 2010
I wonder if since the little gourami seems to be completely non-aggressive then it could get along with the bigger female gourami. The problem is entirely the betta, the gourami doesn't try to pick fights with him but just swimming near him is enough to provoke him and get chased. I guess it can't hurt to just try them out together and move them back if there are more serious problems than the gourami is having with the betta. Probably going to try out a Siamese algae eater with a school of hummingbird tetras too, the SAE is being an rear end to some otocinclus so not sure if he'll play nice with the tetras.

republicant
Apr 5, 2010
Ugh I joined a ton of aquarium groups on Facebook so I can talk to other hobbyists and not just annoy friends who don't care about my fish photos, and all these people are super nooby in a bad way. Like "I have one [schooling fish] and it seems depressed, do I give it medicine or something" kind of nooby. Yeah the pet store should not have sold you that single fish but it doesn't hurt to actually research the living creature whose life you're being entrusted with before you buy it...

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

republicant posted:

Ugh I joined a ton of aquarium groups on Facebook so I can talk to other hobbyists and not just annoy friends who don't care about my fish photos, and all these people are super nooby in a bad way. Like "I have one [schooling fish] and it seems depressed, do I give it medicine or something" kind of nooby. Yeah the pet store should not have sold you that single fish but it doesn't hurt to actually research the living creature whose life you're being entrusted with before you buy it...

I got rejected by two regional aquarium facebook groups if that makes you feel any better.

republicant
Apr 5, 2010
This woman just posted pictures of these miserable looking bettas in various goldfish bowls and vases that are so packed with tacky decorations that they can barely move. Someone told her that bettas need at least 2.5 gallon tanks and her response was a screenshot of one website that says you can use 1/2 gallon bowl. I think I'm going to end up hating all of these people.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

republicant posted:

This woman just posted pictures of these miserable looking bettas in various goldfish bowls and vases that are so packed with tacky decorations that they can barely move. Someone told her that bettas need at least 2.5 gallon tanks and her response was a screenshot of one website that says you can use 1/2 gallon bowl. I think I'm going to end up hating all of these people.

I think I already do.

:sigh: Bettas.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

republicant posted:

To her credit, it certainly doesn't help that nearly all stores keep them that way. Admittedly every time I see them half look dead or dying, and the majority of the rest lethargic, and I always wish I could take one home except that I'm pretty sure they would get in fights with either my guppy, longfin danios or pleco. Same goes for Oscars, almost everywhere I see them they are kept in tanks far smaller than appropriate for even one, let alone many. Easy to think that it is OK to keep them long term that way.

republicant
Apr 5, 2010

Dogwood Fleet posted:

I think I already do.

:sigh: Bettas.

Oh and they're all completely devoid of heaters, filtration, lighting, or any of those totally nonessential things. Bettas aren't tropical fish or anything............ :ssj:

This group has a rule against "tank shaming" but these are not tanks, they are improvised animal cruelty devices. And she doesn't have the attitude of someone who wants to learn how to better care for her fish, she has the attitude of someone who's defensive about her own stupidity and is going to keep doing it anyway. It's like how there's always that one guy on every fish forum who wants to talk about his horribly incompatible fish in his horrible setup and completely ignores everyone's constructive criticism until finally the moderator just tells him that all his fish are going to die and closes the thread.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Coolwhoami posted:

To her credit, it certainly doesn't help that nearly all stores keep them that way. Admittedly every time I see them half look dead or dying, and the majority of the rest lethargic, and I always wish I could take one home except that I'm pretty sure they would get in fights with either my guppy, longfin danios or pleco. Same goes for Oscars, almost everywhere I see them they are kept in tanks far smaller than appropriate for even one, let alone many. Easy to think that it is OK to keep them long term that way.

I'm going to have guppies and pearl gourami, so I can't do that either. I don't have anywhere else I can put a tank either. It's a drat shame because I never a fish as....I'd even say joyful have room to swim around. I guess I shouldn't be that surprised, most aquariums are barely puddles when you think about it.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
Dammit, now I'm looking at smaller tanks for my office. There's no way in hell my supervisor will let me have a tank, why am I doing this to myself.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Coolwhoami posted:

Dammit, now I'm looking at smaller tanks for my office. There's no way in hell my supervisor will let me have a tank, why am I doing this to myself.

You have the dreaded Multiple Tank Syndrome. Soon, everywhere you look will be a place where you want to put an aquarium.

republicant
Apr 5, 2010
Yeahhh I started with a half gallon betta cube and a $5 SeaMonkey kit and now I have 8 tanks in my bedroom. :-)

Well one tank houses an ornate horned frog instead of any fish, but still.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

republicant posted:

This group has a rule against "tank shaming"
oh boy oh boy

republicant
Apr 5, 2010

Some Dude posted:

My 3 foot tank since I changed it
It has,
A bristlenose catfish
3 kuhli loaches
4 male guppy
4 balloon platy
2 gourami
5 neon tetra
3 rasboras
And a female peacock cichlid

Me posted:

Hey just to let you know these fish aren't really compatible.. rasboras and neon tetras need soft acidic water and African cichlids need hard alkaline water. The pH range for neon tetras and for peacock cichlids doesn't overlap at all. Rasboras and peacock cichlids are each supposed to be kept in groups of at least 5 and it's recommended to have at least 5 kuhli loaches as well. And with guppies and platys you're supposed to have a ratio of 2 females for every 1 male. It's also very important to keep natural driftwood in a tank with a bristlenose pleco/catfish. Your tank looks great and I hope I'm not coming off as overly critical, just trying to help your fish stay healthy and stress-free.

His tank looks very bad btw. He has some kind of plastic toy Tonka shovel truck thing in there as an aquarium decoration, and bottles of what looks like either cologne or liquor sitting on top of it waiting to fall in.

Guy #1 posted:

Why do you buy fish that you know nothing about?

Guy #2 posted:

Because I can I guess

republicant fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Oct 15, 2015

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
They're just fish! Just buy a tank. Add water and drop them in! :shepicide:

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Rallos posted:

They're just fish! Just buy a tank. Add water and drop them in! :shepicide:
Look! The cat is helping refill the tank!

republicant
Apr 5, 2010
Well I've only been participating in these fishkeeping groups for about a day and I already got to meet the most incredibly stable, well-balanced, mentally sound woman on Facebook. Keep in mind that all of this is over a white skirt tetra. (I'll keep it thumbnailed for those who don't particularly care)

Seems pretty straightforward right? It's clearly a white skirt tetra, six people seem to agree with me, guy's question got answered and everybody's happy. The entire comment thread comes to the consensus that it is, indeed, a white skirt tetra.

When she tells me to GIVE IT A REST I had only posted here twice, once to say "That's a white skirt tetra" and once to say "That is not a painted tetra [etc]." :shrug:

I had been trying really hard to keep it civil and not say anything that would really be objectively rude but I finally got to the point where I no longer cared. After I took that cheap shot at her she broke out EVEN MORE PARAGRAPHS OF CAPS, called me a pervert, asked if I "get off on this" and told me that she would be blocking me, to which I responded enthusiastically. Then she used Facebook's "I don't like this" feature to tell me to take down my profile picture of one of my pufferfish, I gave her a thumbs up, and she blocked me. Over a white skirt tetra.

She wasn't an admin of the group or anyone with any kind of authority whatsoever so it's so funny to see this woman devolve into CAPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and demanding I GET OUT RIGHT NOW because I corrected her. Over a white skirt tetra.

Tl;dr insane woman cannot identify fish, can't handle being corrected about fish, and demands that I GO TAKE A HIKE RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!! with all the CAPS RAGE she could muster because I was VERY RUDE and I get off sexually from identifying white skirt tetras. (Don't we all???)

So the moral of the story is don't try to join fishkeeping groups on Facebook.

Also I'm not going to post about this anymore because it's starting to really genuinely piss me off and I don't want to contaminate this thread because everyone here is actually intelligent and rational. But god this hobby attracts some of the biggest morons on the planet.

In actual fish news I turned on the light in the middle of the night when there was previously complete darkness and saw that one of my diamond tetras was going crazy. It looked like it was actively dying, darting around the tank constantly rolling over upside down and flailing around with its gills flared. I freaked out and wanted to quarantine it but my boyfriend insisted that it was just scared of the light and that we needed to go to bed.. I was sure that I would have a dead fish in the morning and yet it's completely fine. I guess tetras can get freaked out and have a fish panic attack in the middle of the tank.

republicant fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Oct 15, 2015

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
Which one of you did this? Fess up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Tetra&diff=655286421&oldid=654072809

Danios are getting a bit more aggressive it seems, this morning in addition to the standard fins extended to the max and posturing, they are now starting to chase around some of the other danios in a way that seems more aggressive than playful. I'm starting to wonder if because there's only the two non-gold leopard morphs and a single non-gold zebra, they're not properly engaging in schooling behaviours. None of them seem stressed (other than the aggressive behaviours), but I worry. It probably does't help that for whatever reason the leopards are relative large compared to the other danios. Any thoughts on this?

Because I can't seem to find any information on this (I really should have taken a picture), I was at a fish store while visiting family last weekend, and they had a tank full of what appeared to be zebra danios, except their bellies were so round they looked almost like balloon mollies (probably 2/3 as wide as they were long). Every single one in the tank was like this, which made me question that they were just very gravid zebra danios. I didn't look closely at fins, which would have helped determine if they were a different order/genus/family. As far as I've researched I can't find any examples of zebra striped giant danios. Anyone happen to know what they were?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Reading all that facebook stuff makes me feel like the most responsible dude in the world.

republicant
Apr 5, 2010

ShaneB posted:

Reading all that facebook stuff makes me feel like the most responsible dude in the world.

This morning I logged on and the first thing I saw was some girl talking about her decision to keep a betta in an unheated, unfiltered vase barely larger than a drinking glass because it's her "opinion" that they don't need heated water. And if you try to tell them that it's a biological fact that bettas are tropical fish that need a water temperature higher than 68F then you get run off by people defending their "personal choices" and told that you're "tank shaming" them. So seriously everyone in this thread is freaking awesome when it comes to being knowledgeable and responsible. Because no matter how badly you might screw up and accidentally kill some fish, your intentions were way better than these people's will ever be.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

ShaneB posted:

STOP BEING RUDE! TAKE A HIKE ALREADY!!!1!1!1!1 :cop:

SnotGrumble
Jun 4, 2003

All men live in fear of him and his Moxie.
My sister-in-law used to have a 2.5 gallon “aquarium” that she kept 5-6 “balloon” mollies in. She would go back to Petco every week to buy new ones to replace the ones that died that week. She asked me what she was doing wrong. I told her that 2.5 gallon tank is nowhere near big enough to keep mollies, they needed a heater, brackish water, water changes, etc. As I was telling her this, my brother interjected, “What are you, a marine biologist?
Well, gently caress you then. Have fun wasting money on genetically hosed-up fish every week.

I’m glad this thread exists. It re-affirms that there are people that actually care about the hobby.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

SnotGrumble posted:

My sister-in-law used to have a 2.5 gallon “aquarium” that she kept 5-6 “balloon” mollies in. She would go back to Petco every week to buy new ones to replace the ones that died that week. She asked me what she was doing wrong. I told her that 2.5 gallon tank is nowhere near big enough to keep mollies, they needed a heater, brackish water, water changes, etc. As I was telling her this, my brother interjected, “What are you, a marine biologist?
Well, gently caress you then. Have fun wasting money on genetically hosed-up fish every week.

Deliberately bred in kyphosis is bad enough, let alone dying in a tiny unheated tank. Those poor mollies :( I always feel bad walking by them at stores, they and platys always come up to the glass, looking all excited (although probably because they are hungry).

republicant
Apr 5, 2010
People who intentionally buy those injected dyed glassfish ughhh. It's my right to support inhumane practices that lead to infected and dying fish blah blah blah. Just spend the money for some actual Glofish you cheap moron.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

"I thought we didn't sell dyed fish."
"Oh, no, this is a new process that doesn't hurt the fish and the color's permanent!"
"...where did you hear this?"
"The van guys."
"YOU BELIEVED THEM?!"

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
I wish Glofish were legal here, but it seems like the company who sells them isn't interested in trying to go through the necessary paperwork to sell them in Canada legally, despite our regulation framework being pretty friendly towards industry with respect to genetically modified stuff, although they have yet to approve any genetically modified animal for sale here.

I do enjoy that people are seemingly less concerned about fish being injected with dyes which gradually leach out than they are about the possibility of a genetically modified fish that can't survive winters, let alone differentially impact environments compared to the species they were modified from.

expensive jeans
Jun 20, 2003

That just reminded me of the tattooed mollies that I spotted at my LFS last year.

So drat ugly and unnecessary.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

expensive jeans posted:

That just reminded me of the tattooed mollies that I spotted at my LFS last year.

Christ.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

ShaneB posted:

You're pretty close to that for a new fish keeper. You got a used aquarium, knew that something was wrong but didn't know what, you sought out advice, you LISTENED, and now you have an awesome looking aquarium.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

expensive jeans posted:

Seen store-branded parrot cichlids before?

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

expensive jeans posted:

Huh, apparently this process is very difficult to get information about. Part of that is probably because most of the written info would be in Chinese. It sounds like they use a laser to burn off the epidermis and part of the dermis to get rid of any pigmentation, and then they must be either injecting or hand painting the colours in. It is claimed that they don't bleed and they have a zero mortality rate from it, but I have no idea how they're actually burning the tattoo in without removing the fish from water for an extended period. In any event, a really lovely practice.

republicant
Apr 5, 2010

Coolwhoami posted:

I wish Glofish were legal here, but it seems like the company who sells them isn't interested in trying to go through the necessary paperwork to sell them in Canada legally, despite our regulation framework being pretty friendly towards industry with respect to genetically modified stuff, although they have yet to approve any genetically modified animal for sale here.

I do enjoy that people are seemingly less concerned about fish being injected with dyes which gradually leach out than they are about the possibility of a genetically modified fish that can't survive winters, let alone differentially impact environments compared to the species they were modified from.

I can't speak to the consequences of setting Glofish free in the actual wild, but as far as captive fish being kept in tanks it seems much more humane for them to be born that way rather than injected with dye. Plus dyed glassfish just make me think of Walmart selling fish in the 90s and 00s and how horrible that was. Yeah I want that fish right there, the one next to the dying tetra and to the left of the unrecognizable molding corpse.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

republicant posted:

I can't speak to the consequences of setting Glofish free in the actual wild, but as far as captive fish being kept in tanks it seems much more humane for them to be born that way rather than injected with dye. Plus dyed glassfish just make me think of Walmart selling fish in the 90s and 00s and how horrible that was. Yeah I want that fish right there, the one next to the dying tetra and to the left of the unrecognizable molding corpse.

That is somehow worse than the tank I saw where they housed a betta with oscars. That or they housed a betta tail in an oscar's mouth, it wasn't really clear.

republicant
Apr 5, 2010
There's a video on YouTube of a guy checking out the fish section and asking the associate why they had Figure 8 puffers in a tank with hummingbird tetras

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

republicant posted:

There's a video on YouTube of a guy checking out the fish section and asking the associate why they had Figure 8 puffers in a tank with hummingbird tetras

After some research, I am not certain why this would be an issue (I'm also unsure if you were intending to imply that this person was correct). The puffer, while being generally pretty solitary, wouldn't immediately be an issue with the tetras, and short of it being swapped quickly from a marine to freshwater environment that shouldn't be a problem. I'm probably just really dense.

e: poo poo, 4-6.5 vs 7-8 pH? Eep.

expensive jeans
Jun 20, 2003

Fish Noise posted:

Seen store-branded parrot cichlids before?
Some of those tattooed parrots look like they've been blasted with Homer's makeup gun. :byodame:

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

expensive jeans posted:

Some of those tattooed parrots look like they've been blasted with Homer's makeup gun. :byodame:

Animal cruelty for hideous asthetics.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

expensive jeans posted:

:gonk: :wtc:

That's insane... poor fish....

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Crazy people are crazy people, and they are why I pretty much stick to this thread only for my online fish chat. Has the right mix of knowledgeable and helpful people that will (usually tactfully) point out when you do stupid things with your livestock.

Also people who will appreciate when you dumb things with tanks that aren't detrimental to said livestock :v:

expensive jeans posted:

I don't know if I hate these or the kissing gourami they do this to more. They're both ugly as hell and totally unethical though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

republicant
Apr 5, 2010
If people need cutesy shite like that in your tank then just order some pink ramshorns or purple and peppermint mystery snails like I did, drat. Bright pink all over your tank without contributing to an abomination