Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Shaggar posted:

no they use it because linux tools used on dev drives suck. refs has hacks to make bad tools perform better

maybe if ms had better dev tools people wouldn't need to use linux ones. by introducing and continuously improving WSL ms has basically conceded this, though

and don't get me wrong, WSL is essentially what makes using windows (especially 11) tolerable to me, but it's kind of also a concession that their own poo poo isn't good enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the only people using these things are web "developers" so theres no getting them to use better tools

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Shaggar posted:

the only people using these things are web "developers" so theres no getting them to use better tools

personally the most common toolchain i use with WSL is mingw64, because while it's been getting better a lot of poo poo still doesn't support msvc very well. although i don't have a dev drive set up or anything because i'm lazy and i/o isn't the limiting factor with my setup, so it wouldn't really matter anyway. either way the only "web" developing i'd do would probably be with emscripten anyway lol

but really since WSL allows you to use basically any toolchain you want (e.g. maybe some embedded thing) without it needing to be windows native, while still being able to make use of poo poo developed for/on windows, i doubt that's true. there's gotta be at least some actual developers using it

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
*creating a process or opening a file takes hundreds of ms*

Shaggar: "This is good, actually"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
it doesnt take that long

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
*web "developer" tool opens and closes every file multiple times per file operation*
linux dev: "i am very smart"

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Visual Studio should link a git library rather than launching short-lived git processes dozens of times per second, though

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

lol microsoft spends years and billions of dollars steadfastly skating to where the puck is

quote:

Over the past two years, Microsoft has worked in secret with all of its top laptop partners to ready a selection of Arm-powered Windows machines that will hit the market this summer. Known as Copilot Plus PCs, they’re meant to kick-start a generation of powerful, battery-efficient Windows laptops and lay the groundwork for an AI-powered future.

“You’re going to have the most powerful PC ever,” says Yusuf Mehdi, executive vice president and consumer chief marketing officer at Microsoft, during the briefing. “In fact, it’s going to outperform any device out there, including a MacBook Air with an M3 processor, by over 50 percent on sustained performance.”
good thing apple will never announce a faster computer then the m3 macbook air

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
still dont know what the use case for copilot is

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Shaggar posted:

getting a VP his bonus

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I wonder if they're using the fake qualcomm performance numbers to claim "most powerful"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Shaggar posted:

extracting azure revenue from openai

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

qirex posted:

extracting azure revenue from openai

also getting it from the other side by making the dumbest managers think they can use it instead of actually having good staffing levels

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Pinterest Mom posted:

I wonder if they're using the fake qualcomm performance numbers to claim "most powerful"

almost certainly, this isn't even the first time we've heard about these allegedly secret "copilot plus" arm laptops

...because that's what qualcomm said the new snapdragons were for, specifically, lol lmao

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Pinterest Mom posted:

i can't wait to see the rubber hit the road with that one.

qualcomm has not had a lot of luck coming up with a high performance arm design

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
also good thing apple will never come out with a m4

oh wait

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i do wonder if they'll skip m5 though. if they don't i hope they call it "the ultimate computer"

if you don't get it, search what's in quotes, and if you still don't, add "m5"

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

infernal machines posted:

i can't wait to see the rubber hit the road with that one.

qualcomm has not had a lot of luck coming up with a high performance arm design

there was a report a few weeks back that the real-world performance for this specific model were falling well short of what qualcomm was reporting

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Beeftweeter posted:

i do wonder if they'll skip m5 though. if they don't i hope they call it "the ultimate computer"

if you don't get it, search what's in quotes, and if you still don't, add "m5"

paramount is looking for a buyer and like with the beatles it would easily solve this problem

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

paramount is looking for a buyer and like with the beatles it would easily solve this problem

tbh on one hand i could see star trek being easily fit into atv+, but on the other i think their commitment to it is questionable. producing movies or even tv shows is hideously expensive, even for a company like apple, and what would be the point of buying either the studio or just the trek IP if they're just going to sit on it or sell it off in a few years?

though jeff bezos is apparently a superfan, i wouldn't put it past him to just outbid everyone for the IP separate from paramount (which he is probably not interested in), and if that happens it'd probably be an amazon exclusive, of course. they (still, despite $ridiculous, mounting losses) seem to be way further committed to streaming than apple either way

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Pinterest Mom posted:

there was a report a few weeks back that the real-world performance for this specific model were falling well short of what qualcomm was reporting

yeah, i'm aware of that one, but no one else has published any benchmarks yet, so while i'd absolutely believe they botched it again, i'd like to see it verified.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Shaggar posted:

they gave us licenses for github copilot at work and uh i guess it's sometimes useful for writing unit tests. it's kind of intrusive and wrong a lot otherwise.

like today i defined an interface, then created an object from it, and copilot helpfully offered to give it all wrong properties and it just really interrupted my flow and made me more mad than i probably should have been.

overall, not a fan

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Elder Postsman posted:

they gave us licenses for github copilot at work and uh i guess it's sometimes useful for writing unit tests. it's kind of intrusive and wrong a lot otherwise.

like today i defined an interface, then created an object from it, and copilot helpfully offered to give it all wrong properties and it just really interrupted my flow and made me more mad than i probably should have been.

overall, not a fan

Lol we have some internal version that basically behaves the same way: like enabling autocomplete in a word document but the suggestions are spelled wrong half the time. I turned it off almost immediately

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lmao. holy goddamn gently caress.

microsoft has gone fully around the loving bend

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

first party rootkit

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

some fuckin 90s-rear end sub7 poo poo, now built into your os, on purpose.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

microsoft Panopticon 365

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

lmao. holy goddamn gently caress.

microsoft has gone fully around the loving bend

why in the gently caress would anyone — anyone — think this is a good idea

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
they have confirmed they don’t know how to program an os
their plan now is to train an ai with exabytes of screenshots

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

some fuckin 90s-rear end sub7 poo poo, now built into your os, on purpose.

sub7 was cool

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
Someone once told me they thought microsoft was doing something like this and I told them they were an idiot.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Perplx posted:

they have confirmed they don’t know how to program an os
their plan now is to train an ai with exabytes of screenshots

I look forward to DALL-E responding to all prompts in the form of the image you asked framed by an image of a Windows screenshot.

burning swine
May 26, 2004

imagine how rock hard law enforcement must be for this feature, lmao

microsoft posted:

Recall won't take snapshots of InPrivate web browsing sessions in Microsoft Edge or DRM-protected content.

adorable

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

burning swine posted:

imagine how rock hard law enforcement must be for this feature, lmao

adorable

good thing I don’t have anything else on my computer I’d like to keep private

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

oh don’t worry the robot that tells you to mix chlorine and bleach to clean your carpet will keep your sensitive information private

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

“””””thankfully””””” it supposedly requires one of the new qualcomm snapdragon elite socs with a neural processor, but I’m not sure how much of that I actually believe. I can see them making that a requirement to access this recall feature, but still using all windows machines to train the ai that runs it

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

2024 year of Linux on the desktop

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Branch Nvidian posted:

“””””thankfully””””” it supposedly requires one of the new qualcomm snapdragon elite socs with a neural processor, but I’m not sure how much of that I actually believe. I can see them making that a requirement to access this recall feature, but still using all windows machines to train the ai that runs it

idk why you would currently use windows if you figure microsoft would just stream your screen contents home to train ai with it. it is not like this feature adds any technology they needed to do that, could have had remote desktop do that since the 90s if they wanted, and they explicitly state that it is local and private. and they really would get sued out of existence if caught.

not that i would *use* this thing in any context where i currently have any presumption of privacy.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

idk why you would currently use windows if you figure microsoft would just stream your screen contents home to train ai with it. it is not like this feature adds any technology they needed to do that, could have had remote desktop do that since the 90s if they wanted, and they explicitly state that it is local and private. and they really would get sued out of existence if caught.

not that i would *use* this thing in any context where i currently have any presumption of privacy.

everything about this smells incredibly janky. like i bet they say it won't capture drm'd content because they're using screenshots and screenshots already can't do that. i bet they implemented the edge private mode (note: no mention of an api for other browsers to use to do this) via like a process name filter. i bet when they say that content is locally encrypted what they really mean is "well the drive has bitlocker enabled, so". and finally, i'd bet you a lot that the program that runs this will use the already integrated windows telemetry to send at least summaries and statistics if not scraped text content home, one of those things that a pm or pr person can try and weasel their way out of but that looks exactly like spying to anybody whose paychecks aren't signed by satya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lol remember when Safari did something similar to this?
https://old.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/18lp92/your_apple_computer_keeps_a_screen_shot_of_nearly/

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2658202?sortBy=best