Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Swiping the touch pad to manually shake blood off your sword and sheath it never gets old. It’s almost as good as completing a duel streak.

I don’t want to spoil much, but you can absolutely gain the ability to take out more than two or three guys during a standoff. Something to look forward to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

There’s an armour set that lets you extend the stand-off chain to 5 once it’s upgraded, so you can 1v1 the whole gang pretty much every time.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The DLC monkey armor is so OP I took it off after one mission. Fully upgraded its like impossible to die.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

duels are my favorite part of the game and imo the only major flaw in the game is that there should be more of them, or preferably a whole mode dedicated to it

really though i think it is the best open world game of the "base conquest" type that has yet been made

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Earwicker posted:

duels are my favorite part of the game and imo the only major flaw in the game is that there should be more of them, or preferably a whole mode dedicated to it

really though i think it is the best open world game of the "base conquest" type that has yet been made

Sometimes it’s a pain in the rear end to find and stand in the exact specific spot in the camp it wants you to stand in to progress when you’ve finished murdering everyone.

The “come out and fight me, fuckfaces” button you sometimes get when there are only a few dudes left to kill should also be permanently available and not arbitrarily context sensitive.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The duels are my least favourite part of combat in the game. The invisible walls, the lack of techniques and weapons that make Jin "the Ghost", zero use of the environment, the trial & error to learn attack patterns that only applicable in duels, and a lack of clarity (maybe it's just me) around what the different styles are supposed to do in duels.

History Comes Inside! posted:

The “come out and fight me, fuckfaces” button you sometimes get when there are only a few dudes left to kill should also be permanently available and not arbitrarily context sensitive.

For whatever reason it's only available in enemy camps of a certain size. The ones on the map with the big house icons.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I can get some frustration with the trial and error for new attack patterns, and a few of the duelists feel like they go hog wild with crazy chained or unblockable attacks. But that wasn't enough to turn me off, they're some of the best stuff in the game for me even with occasional gripes.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i do agree they could use the environment in more interesting ways but hey there's plenty of room for that in a sequel!

i dont see how using ghost weapons in a formal one on one duel would really make sense. your opponent already knows you are there. just because the game is about a guy called "the ghost" it doesnt mean every single moment and mechanic has to be about that.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

There are all kinds of reasons why Jin could still fight like the Ghost against his duel opponents but I get it, it's a samurai game and you need the dramatic 1 on 1 sword-clashing.

I'm just generally not big on boss battles in most games. It's the typical restrictions of a boss battle in games where most of the stuff you could do everywhere else in the game is suddenly unavailable or ineffective. It's why the last phase of the Khan fight is so great to me because he's still tough, he's still a big threat, but you face him in the game's regular combat mode. It's you, him, a series of other soldiers, a cool environment, and you're free to use everything at your disposal. Feels like a culmination of everything you've earned and learned instead of an alternate game mode.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 17, 2022

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
You can definitely cheese every duel on hard or lethal with the ki focus sword techniques like Heaven’s Dance or whatever.

Don't Ask
Nov 28, 2002

You can also use the super advanced technique of lowering the difficulty :ssh:.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Don't Ask posted:

You can also use the super advanced technique of lowering the difficulty :ssh:.

Jin! That is not honorable!

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Lobok posted:

The duels are my least favourite part of combat in the game. The invisible walls, the lack of techniques and weapons that make Jin "the Ghost", zero use of the environment, the trial & error to learn attack patterns that only applicable in duels, and a lack of clarity (maybe it's just me) around what the different styles are supposed to do in duels.

Or save up your techniques to a full charge and just use Dance of Wrath three times in a row and automatically win every duel with no effort even on the hardest difficulties? When there is only one target, like in a duel, all 3 unblockable strikes all hit the same target. As long as you had a half decent set up 3 uses kills the opponent. I don't think I ever did a fair duel in the game after I got that.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I mean maybe you need to fiddle with your charms a bit to get enough Ki Regen on damage or whatever but yeah, Jin doesn’t need to cheat at duels with his ghost tools because he has extremely OP magic sword attacks.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
The game looks so good on PS5 it's unreal, I thought Forbidden West looked great but GoT's style is a level beyond. I'm starting from scratch to go through it all again.

Does Lethal have any rewards associated with it?

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Pierson posted:

The game looks so good on PS5 it's unreal, I thought Forbidden West looked great but GoT's style is a level beyond. I'm starting from scratch to go through it all again.

Does Lethal have any rewards associated with it?

Think about how insane the sequel will look as a native PS5 game. I can't even imagine what they can do with that much more power.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

BitBasher posted:

Or save up your techniques to a full charge and just use Dance of Wrath three times in a row and automatically win every duel with no effort even on the hardest difficulties? When there is only one target, like in a duel, all 3 unblockable strikes all hit the same target. As long as you had a half decent set up 3 uses kills the opponent. I don't think I ever did a fair duel in the game after I got that.

Part of the problem is that even if you go into a duel with a load of resolve, if you die it will often restart you with the amount you had when you died, rather that what you had when you entered the duel. Not always though, which is really loving weird. But that means that if you blow your resolve and don't win the duel on your first go, your subsequent attempts are often even harder.

I've been playing on Lethal on this second playthrough, and 90% of the time I'm really enjoying it, but then I get to (for example) the duel against the guy at Sakai Fortress on Iki Island, and it's just not fun. "A single sword strike is lethal." they say in the difficulty description. That would be fun!

But it loving isn't, is it, because the enemies in duels on Lethal can take literally dozens of blows, and meanwhile they kill me in one hit.

And it turns the game from a cool samurai/ninja action game into what is basically just a glorified reflex test: can you memorise the pattern and Perfect Parry this guy's attacks about 20 times to deplete his giant health pool without making one single mistake and dying instantly?

The answer is no, I can't. I can memorise their attack patterns, but my reflexes weren't great even when I was a teenager, and they definitely aren't up to that now I'm 34. So yeah, I just turn the difficulty down to easy, do the duels, and then go back to playing the bit of the game that actually lets you do something other than watch for coloured flashes and hit L1/O within a quarter second or immediately die.

(There's also the fact that the whole existence of Mandatory Honourable Duels Where You Have To Swordfight With Honour kind of undermines the central narrative conflict of the game between Jin's urge to hold on to the ideals of the samurai as his uncle expresses and his willingness to use the means of the Ghost to achieve victory. It would have been a really nice bit of gameplay/story convergence if the duels still existed 'as is', but you could bypass that difficult and cool fight by sneaking in and poisoning the dude. Or at least open it by shivving him in the neck and start the duel with him already wounded.)

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I think this is going to be the first game I'm going to platinum. I'm on my last trophy Body, Mind, and Spirit (Complete all Hot Springs, Haiku, Inari Shrines, and Bamboo Strikes). I assume these are all on the first island and liberating all three sections before I hunt these down would be the best option?

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
You can unlock the "skill" to let the wind guide you to them iirc

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

shut up blegum posted:

You can unlock the "skill" to let the wind guide you to them iirc

You may need to be also wearing the traveler(?) armor for it to take effect but yes you can just lock on to the nearest spring on the map and I’ll point you in the right direction regardless of how far you are.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Yeah and if you're going to use that it helps to use Fast Travel (thank you SP for the amazing load times) to triangulate the location and get to the location faster since the wind is actually good at pointing you to stuff really far away.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Be careful because there’s a trap in upgrading the traveler armour iirc because while it says it expands the range at which it finds hidden stuff, in practice that just means you end up searching a wider area because there’s no difference in the tracking between “you are now in the arbitrary detection radius” and “you’re standing right on top of it just press the button”

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Be careful because there’s a trap in upgrading the traveler armour iirc because while it says it expands the range at which it finds hidden stuff, in practice that just means you end up searching a wider area because there’s no difference in the tracking between “you are now in the arbitrary detection radius” and “you’re standing right on top of it just press the button”

I think they added some visual cue to help with this in a patch but I'm not sure.

El Diablo Bob O
Sep 3, 2011

Hay nada mas,
Oh si' my way!

The_White_Crane posted:

Part of the problem is that even if you go into a duel with a load of resolve, if you die it will often restart you with the amount you had when you died, rather that what you had when you entered the duel. Not always though, which is really loving weird. But that means that if you blow your resolve and don't win the duel on your first go, your subsequent attempts are often even harder.

I've been playing on Lethal on this second playthrough, and 90% of the time I'm really enjoying it, but then I get to (for example) the duel against the guy at Sakai Fortress on Iki Island, and it's just not fun. "A single sword strike is lethal." they say in the difficulty description. That would be fun!

I've been playing this recently on hard, (I love it) but I agree completely with your opinion on the duels. It seems to have the same issue that the first PS4 Spider-Man game has where the mooks "lock-on" and can on some occasions turn 90 degrees to 180 degrees mid-attack. The earlier Batman games' enemies would do the same thing but seemed to "whiff" more in the latter games. In "Ghost" it still happens but seems to be a much smaller angle.

At least changing the difficulty has zero downfalls. Hooray for accessibility.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

El Diablo Bob O posted:

I've been playing this recently on hard, (I love it) but I agree completely with your opinion on the duels. It seems to have the same issue that the first PS4 Spider-Man game has where the mooks "lock-on" and can on some occasions turn 90 degrees to 180 degrees mid-attack. The earlier Batman games' enemies would do the same thing but seemed to "whiff" more in the latter games. In "Ghost" it still happens but seems to be a much smaller angle.

That kind of thing is the unfortunate trade-off when games have attack animations that are linked to hitboxes and cause specific reaction animations. Fighting looks super tight and more realistic when enemies are in the proper positions but if not you get characters who slide across the ground or spin perfectly as their fist gets magnetically attracted to a face.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

The_White_Crane posted:

Part of the problem is that even if you go into a duel with a load of resolve, if you die it will often restart you with the amount you had when you died, rather that what you had when you entered the duel. Not always though, which is really loving weird. But that means that if you blow your resolve and don't win the duel on your first go, your subsequent attempts are often even harder

While what you say here is correct, I also found it irrelevant because on Lethal I never had a single opponent survive after hitting them with 3 Dances of Wrath. Not once. Literally as soon as the fight starts mash it and Wrath automatically hits them with 3 unblockable attacks, then immediately repeat 2 more times and enemy dies. Don't be fancy, don't let time pass, don't even take a single step. Fight starts? You have control and a full special bar? Just mash Wrath 3 times. Maybe they changed something since I platted it? It was basically impossible to lose a duel unless I screwed around.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

BitBasher posted:

While what you say here is correct, I also found it irrelevant because on Lethal I never had a single opponent survive after hitting them with 3 Dances of Wrath. Not once. Literally as soon as the fight starts mash it and Wrath automatically hits them with 3 unblockable attacks, then immediately repeat 2 more times and enemy dies. Don't be fancy, don't let time pass, don't even take a single step. Fight starts? You have control and a full special bar? Just mash Wrath 3 times. Maybe they changed something since I platted it? It was basically impossible to lose a duel unless I screwed around.

Not very honorable, this.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Not very honorable, this.

Yeah, but it was really on theme of my strategy of "Get poo poo done, unlike the samurai ruling class"

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

BitBasher posted:

I can say with absolute certainty that this does not work against the Eagle, at the end of Iki island, because I tried it specifically since I remembered you remarking on it. Three uses did less than a third of her health bar.
Next time I have a duel against someone in the base game, I'll give it another shot, but the couple of times I have used Dance of Wrath in duels I certainly don't think it did enough that I would expect it to wipe them out completely in three uses. Maybe they did patch it, IDK.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

The_White_Crane posted:

I can say with absolute certainty that this does not work against the Eagle, at the end of Iki island, because I tried it specifically since I remembered you remarking on it. Three uses did less than a third of her health bar.
Next time I have a duel against someone in the base game, I'll give it another shot, but the couple of times I have used Dance of Wrath in duels I certainly don't think it did enough that I would expect it to wipe them out completely in three uses. Maybe they did patch it, IDK.

I platted the game before Iki island came out, my bad? Also, I played on Lethal, it's possible it doesn't work on other difficulty levels? If so, sorry about that.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I did it guys, GoT is the first game that I've gotten all the trophies for. I'm halfway though Iki and I'm pretty sure I will get all the trophies for that as well.

Are there any more expansions planned?

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Not that we're aware of. A full sequel is supposedly in the works, according to a job posting from a month ago

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Given what they accomplished on PS4, I expect to actually smell cherry blossoms and feel real sunshine on my face when playing the PS5 sequel.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I hope to borrow form Legends and let you do the full campaign co-op.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I hope to borrow form Legends and let you do the full campaign co-op.

The entirety of coop will be players taking turns challenging enemies to honorable 1v1 duels while the other one watches :hmmyes:

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Only if I get buttons to yell poo poo in the duel and have noisemakers like it's a typical Japanese sporting event.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Bust Rodd posted:

Given what they accomplished on PS4, I expect to actually smell cherry blossoms and feel real sunshine on my face when playing the PS5 sequel.

As a gamer I also long for the feeling of sun on my face.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Did everyone see that Chad Stahelski is pushing to do the movie with an all Japanese cast and do the movie in Japanese with English subtitles? And he says Sony is backing him on it.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Yeah. It certainly dramatically increased my interest in whatever it turns out as in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Did everyone see that Chad Stahelski is pushing to do the movie with an all Japanese cast and do the movie in Japanese with English subtitles? And he says Sony is backing him on it.

That'd be really cool. I will now jinx the project by saying that it seems like a much better setup for keeping things recognizable while still making a compelling film, compared to your standard vidyagame movie.