Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Aeble posted:

I just saw this movie and, not being an avid moviegoer, want to hear if I'm just stupid for not getting the ending. I thought it didn't felt satisfying at all, not really closing the story. Amy is still a psycho and might conceivably murder Nick in the near future if things doesn't play out the way she wants them to. And why does Nick go along with it? I understand the line of thought that he was screwed up and wanted the relationship as well... But if the talk of the baby was just an excuse, why does he act like he's going to leave her up until the very moment that she shows him the pregnancy test? He might need the excuse for Margo, but surely it doesn't matter to himself.

shes got what is probably his child, bud. and she is crazy so you can probably ponder what might happen.

he stays with her, too, because it would look bad to divorce this woman who he publically said he loved because she was batshit crazy and no one would believe him. she also owns the bar and not him. she has every card to play and all he got is an empty hand, man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.
Finally went and saw this tonight - what stuck with me most was the overwhelming silence that followed just as the credits began to roll in a full room of moviegoers (even though the film had been out for a while now).

I went in knowing the bare minimum, that a guy's wife goes missing and that he's the main suspect. Really glad I listened to the advice I was given here because I really enjoyed being shocked and sucked in up until the Big Twist midway through. And holy gently caress, that was a gooood reveal. I'd happily let Rosamund Pike play the Crazy Psycho Bitch of my nightmares - she really was amazing.

Right now, though, all I can think about is how unsettled the throat-slashing scene made me feel, probably because of how loving clean and neat everything was. I mean, it didn't even register that the splatter above the stove was blood - here I thought it looked just like a scrape of nail polish or something. And then BLOOD loving EVERYWHERE. Waow.

I can't wait to read the book.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

bubblelubble posted:

I went in knowing the bare minimum

this is the best advice for every movie ever. but i keep seeing interstellar ads during the previews and i cant leave the theater fast enough

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

LaTex Fetish posted:

this is the best advice for every movie ever. but i keep seeing interstellar ads during the previews and i cant leave the theater fast enough

I've seen the previews and I still have no clue what that movie is supposed to be about

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I liked this movie a lot more the second time even knowing all the beats. Don't let basic plot information drive you out of a theater during a preview.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Surlaw posted:

I liked this movie a lot more the second time even knowing all the beats. Don't let basic plot information drive you out of a theater during a preview.

dont tell me what to do bitch

CoolZidane
Jun 24, 2008

bubblelubble posted:

Right now, though, all I can think about is how unsettled the throat-slashing scene made me feel, probably because of how loving clean and neat everything was. I mean, it didn't even register that the splatter above the stove was blood - here I thought it looked just like a scrape of nail polish or something. And then BLOOD loving EVERYWHERE. Waow.

I read the book before I saw the movie, and my thought at that point in the book was "This is totally a David Fincher scene."

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

bubblelubble posted:

Finally went and saw this tonight - what stuck with me most was the overwhelming silence that followed just as the credits began to roll in a full room of moviegoers (even though the film had been out for a while now).

Off topic, but do people commonly do things like stand up and applaud at the end of movies? Maybe people in the Midwest are just boring, but no one says or does poo poo once the credits role. They just leave.

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.
Nah, I meant moreso that people tend to start talking when the movie's over. But there was a distinct lack of conversation, and it lasted for a while. It was actually kinda incredible.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

bubblelubble posted:

Nah, I meant moreso that people tend to start talking when the movie's over. But there was a distinct lack of conversation, and it lasted for a while. It was actually kinda incredible.

everyone turned to one another to talk but all they could think about was "what are they thinking? how do they feel?"

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

What would be the point otherwise?

Experienced the same effect during my screening, although it felt more like people brewing over mixed emotions and not out of any sort of gravitas for the film.

Anyway, I'm definitely going to check out the book now. Echoing what other people have already said, especially about the dialogue being really corny in a lot of parts that I'm not sure if it was meant to be taken seriously or taken as camp.

"Octopus and Scrabble?"

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

Mira posted:

Experienced the same effect during my screening, although it felt more like people brewing over mixed emotions and not out of any sort of gravitas for the film.

Anyway, I'm definitely going to check out the book now. Echoing what other people have already said, especially about the dialogue being really corny in a lot of parts that I'm not sure if it was meant to be taken seriously or taken as camp.

"Octopus and Scrabble?"

You couldn't tell that line was meant to be funny?

Agreed that the way it ends lends to a really particular mood of silence in the cinema, it was like a shocking event had just happened (in a good way, for me).

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
After just watching the film (I enjoyed it, by the way), I honestly felt that they left the movie loosely ambiguous, I mean I'm assuming they both have problems with each other, they're both somewhat 'psychotic', besides Amy who's the real psycho in the story. Affleck's character is just as aggressive towards Pike's character, the only difference being Pike takes it to the extreme. As I was watching the whole film, I got the impression that almost everyone in the movie, besides Nick and Margo, seemed really odd...like you couldn't trust them, even when they're trying to help Nick find his wife throughout the whole film. Maybe I just felt paranoid as I was taking in those scenes. I kind of felt the same way when I was watching Barton Fink, again it seemed to me that Barton was the sane character in the story and everyone else acted and looked quite odd.

Also, I'm surprised no-one made a Chasing Amy joke, due to how coincidental that both films starred Affleck, had a character called Amy, Joey Lauren Adams and Rosamund Pike weirdly looked identical to each other when playing that character, and the argument that Nick is trying to find (or chasing) his wife.

Bottom line, Fincher really fucks with my head.

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot Joey doesn't play 'Amy', I also meant she and Rosamund individually play as Affleck's lover in both movies. I hosed up.

Junior Jr. fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Nov 13, 2014

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

sleepingbuddha posted:

This movie has been out for quite a while. Why are people still using spoiler tags?

Why do people come into a thread for a film they haven't seen and get annoyed when they're spoiled, therefore forcing the use of spoiler tags, I'd wonder. It's not like there isn't a review forum if people want to know what the film is like!

Cakebaker
Jul 23, 2007
Wanna buy some cake?

Junior Jr. posted:

Also, I'm surprised no-one made a Chasing Amy joke, due to how coincidental that both films starred Affleck, had a character called Amy, Joey Lauren Adams and Rosamund Pike weirdly looked identical to each other when playing that character, and the argument that Nick is trying to find (or chasing) his wife.

Could be because there's one in the title of the thread.

Edit; Nvm, turns out I've been reading the title wrong in my head all this time. Sorry for being snarky.

Cakebaker fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Nov 13, 2014

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

Cakebaker posted:

Could be because there's one in the title of the thread.

Edit; Nvm, turns out I've been reading the title wrong in my head all this time. Sorry for being snarky.

I wasn't referencing it, but, now I want the title to be Affleck Chases Amy All Over Again.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Saw the movie and loved it. The ending boggled my mind, though in the end I think Amy will get what's coming to her. Psychopaths can't help themselves; she'll eventually do something stupid that she can't talk her way out of.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Finished reading the book last night and then went out tonight and saw the movie. Loved it. Really great adaptation of the book with some rushed parts, but anything changed made sense and was just to move the story along at a better pace then how the book went. Really great film.

MrSpiffy
Aug 13, 2000

:woop::siren::siren::siren::woop:
FREDDIE WONG POSTING HERE
:woop::siren::siren::siren::woop:

Gozinbulx posted:

Saw this last night. While there are probably problems with the story and act structure (felt like it had..5 acts or something), the movie was so well made and so well acted, I was engrossed. It never felt slow and I welcomed the long runtime.

This is, obviously, not the point of your post, but you know what else has 5 acts? Every Shakespeare play.

Point being that if you thought that the movie "never felt slow" then there's a good chance that there aren't problems with story and act structure, but something else that's throwing you off.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Just chiming in to say this was, without a doubt, the worst film I've ever seen in a movie theater. And I watched both Van Wilder 2 and the Conan reboot in the theater.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Unzip and Attack posted:

Just chiming in to say this was, without a doubt, the worst film I've ever seen in a movie theater. And I watched both Van Wilder 2 and the Conan reboot in the theater.

My worst movie was Cold Mountain. I hated that movie. I really wanted to walk out of it.

Why was it worst?

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Lots of things made this the worst, but mainly the "this insane woman creates two completely airtight, extremely complex fake crimes and gets away with both of them by coercing her husband even though she has no leverage over the husband whatsoever" thing. The absolutely perfect, no-mistakes frame job was bad enough, but when Affleck doesn't react to his wife's reappearance with an immediate "this woman tried to frame me for her murder here's a list of things she accused me of in her diary that were false, which she planted and also here are all her hand written notes showing where she left the clues for the cops to find" I really checked out. The man got into a loving shower with a woman literally covered in the blood of a murder victim so she could wax poetic about how evil she is. I mean poo poo, the video logs from NPH's house combined with his phone records would show that he didn't kidnap the wife.

loving retarded.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Thanks, Detective.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Sorry if I bursted your bubble Ebert.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Unzip and Attack posted:

Sorry if I bursted your bubble Ebert.

:thejoke: He was being sarcastic.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

There are literally scenes in the movie in which the characters point out that there's evidence of holes in her story and that the investigators/media/public doesn't care, they just want a good story. Do you think that's there on accident or that it might be making a point?

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Yeah the FBI wanting to buy her narrative because "they want a good story" sure makes sense, especially with how easily that narrative falls apart. The FBI, as an organization, is a sucker for a good crying blonde.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Movies often have exaggerated examples of real world situations. Gone Girls theme of "people love a good story" is pretty far fetched and its chances of happening in real life are pretty small, but I still think it works and is consistent with the movies world.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Law enforcement is definitely never corrupt or lazy in real life.

There's plenty to legitimately criticize in the film but "the police didn't follow proper protocol in this black comedy" making it the worst film you've ever seen makes you kind of dumb.

A True Jar Jar Fan fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Dec 5, 2014

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I look forward to the day when writers and directors sit down and think "Hm. You know I want to tell a story but it won't be perfect like real life and people will tear it apart. Oh well, let's not and just go out and film myself doing some stupid poo poo and put it on you tube. Or make a documentary."

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
John Doe could never have pulled off all seven murders in those completely impractical ways. Here's how I would have done it:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The movie you watched is fiction.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Man, I tried reading the first couple of pages of this thread, and all the arguments, heated discussion, etc. can be pretty much cleared up by reading the book. Y'all should really read the book.

Anyway, just saw this and was pretty surprised at how packed the theatre was considering it's been out for like 2 months. I went in to the movie blind, so I could be surprised at the casting choices (all I remember from a brief trailer months back for this was that Affleck was Nick) and was pleasantly surprised. Almost everybody was really well-casted. NPH was kind of a surprise, but he fits the bill. They really turned up the creep factor on him in the movie though. You really do feel sorry for Desi and sympathize with him way more with in the book. I really didn't like Tyler Perry as Tanner Bolt at first, but I guess he was serviceable. I understand why they did it (pretty much combining Tanner Bolt and Tanner Bolt's wife into one character), but eh. There's some rushed parts, and you really lose some of the narrative, since the book is pretty much diary entries from 3 characters, but overall it's a great adaptation.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Unzip and Attack posted:

Lots of things made this the worst, but mainly the "this insane woman creates two completely airtight, extremely complex fake crimes and gets away with both of them by coercing her husband even though she has no leverage over the husband whatsoever" thing.

Dude someone posted this already earlier in the thread:

LaTex Fetish posted:

shes got what is probably his child, bud. and she is crazy so you can probably ponder what might happen.

he stays with her, too, because it would look bad to divorce this woman who he publically said he loved because she was batshit crazy and no one would believe him. she also owns the bar and not him. she has every card to play and all he got is an empty hand, man

She's got plenty of leverage. You should probably read the thread. Also the movie.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Constellation I posted:

Man, I tried reading the first couple of pages of this thread, and all the arguments, heated discussion, etc. can be pretty much cleared up by reading the book. Y'all should really read the book.

The book is not the movie.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I can already tell this is going to be the most controversial movie of the year and I'm kind of looking forward to it.

Man, this post is from October and was probably true until this week.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

PriorMarcus posted:

This is an awesome reading and I agree with it, but I feel like the film would've worked better if he had been abusive to her. As it is Nick is just a little bit too much of a victim for this reading to land 100% and that's probably why you have people claiming it's an anti-woman film.

I feel like very subtly the movie hinted that while he may not have hit her or been aggressively manipulative, he did treat her poorly and took advantage of her at times. While no excuse for her actions I think having a character who is light gray on the hero to anti-hero scale is a bit refreshing, someone who is not really looking for redemption or to be a role model but just a normal jerk who is still a victim.

The themes of "living out the story" and "reality blurring with the lies" could be a way to view the ending scene where he pushes Amy against the wall- he was never physically abusive but after that narrative dominated the world around him falling into aggressive behavior due to the reality (understandable) is chilling since it looks identical to if he was just a wife beater (not understandable).

Unzip and Attack posted:

The absolutely perfect, no-mistakes frame job was bad enough, but when Affleck doesn't react to his wife's reappearance with an immediate "this woman tried to frame me for her murder here's a list of things she accused me of in her diary that were false, which she planted and also here are all her hand written notes showing where she left the clues for the cops to find" I really checked out.

The fact she was able to organize the frame job so well is partially due to her having a really long time to get every last detail accounted for and because her sucky husband does not pay attention to her. The fact shes been going around increasing her life insurance, getting fake evidence ready, and even having planned it out on a calendar is why my disbelief was suspended with almost no trouble.

His emotionless reaction on the news is what stuck him as the murderer in the media because "we have problems and I don't love her anymore" is a honest explanation for not sobbing on Nancy Grace but not the story people want to hear. UPDATE: Husband of Missing Woman More Frustrated Than Heartbroken sounds like an Onion article even if true in a lot of cases. To be fair though, some of the cops did mention that things seemed too perfect before it turned into Trial by Media.

I do agree though that the second that baby is born I would have her arrested or put in psychiatric holding to keep her the gently caress away from my baby. My mind would be counting down the seconds until a chance to get the kid away from the mother safely opened up- the motivation of staying with her for the child doesn't really hold up for me if hes fine with having a sociopath raise his kid.

WeLandedOnTheMoon! posted:

Living your entire life in the shadow of a fictional and idealized version of yourself will certainly do a number on you, huh?

Amazing Amy Makes a Mess! is one of the best promotional materials I've seen.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I feel like I saw the greatest black comedy in years played straight. It's ambitious as hell, but it's just not a good enough drama to pull it off. The comedy is a redeeming factor for a flawed movie and not an addition that turns good into great. Maybe it's brilliant because it hits all the right notes of a tabloid crime. You never really know why people go bad and the conclusion is never satisfying.

I wonder if the movie would have been better if Amy's setup was shown earlier in the movie instead of treated as the big reveal. I rarely enjoy stories with a big mystery that gets solved midway through. Pop that bubble early or at the end.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Unzip and Attack posted:

Yeah the FBI wanting to buy her narrative because "they want a good story" sure makes sense, especially with how easily that narrative falls apart. The FBI, as an organization, is a sucker for a good crying blonde.

FBI legit would let people go if it would be hard to prove their guilty, cause a huge media backlash, and harm the organization in some way.

The media would eat up Amazing Amy playing them for fools though so they the FBI would be 100% with going after her. While the story wouldn't be as sexy as husband kills wife or wife abducted by strange rear end in a top hat who keep her in a rape dungeon, the story of a z list celebrity faking all of that to get back on her husband just for cheating on her is major tabloid fodder. It isn't like the Santanic Sex Panic or Central Park 5 or another boring case of a media/law gently caress up. It's has academy award winning film written all over it (ha)

It's a story though and is trying to make a point. Realism isn't always good.

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

I feel like very subtly the movie hinted that while he may not have hit her or been aggressively manipulative, he did treat her poorly and took advantage of her at times. While no excuse for her actions I think having a character who is light gray on the hero to anti-hero scale is a bit refreshing, someone who is not really looking for redemption or to be a role model but just a normal jerk who is still a victim.

The themes of "living out the story" and "reality blurring with the lies" could be a way to view the ending scene where he pushes Amy against the wall- he was never physically abusive but after that narrative dominated the world around him falling into aggressive behavior due to the reality (understandable) is chilling since it looks identical to if he was just a wife beater (not understandable).

It's funny, I cringed like anything during that scene but found it weird that I would when his wife is threatening to either frame him for attempted murder or child molestation or a bunch of other things, it's way more than understandable and kinda what a lot of normal or even good people would have done, and you hit on why succinctly.

NutritiousSnack fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Dec 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

NutritiousSnack posted:

FBI legit would let people go if it would be hard to prove their guilty, cause a huge media backlash, and harm the organization in some way.

The media would eat up Amazing Amy playing them for fools though so they the FBI would be 100% with going after her.

But that's exactly why they wouldn't do it, for the reason you just said. Amazing Amy played them for fools, so instead of telling everybody they got played for fools, they quietly let the whole thing go.

It's not that they necessarily buy it, it's that going along with it keeps their image intact. The movie's all about image and people going against reality to manipulate how society views them.

• Locked thread