Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Those are neat. I've always wanted some nice pink Canadian money, but never actually managed to have any cash left by the time I left that fine country. They stole from me with their kindness, those sonsofbitches.

your average money changer in the US is definitely gonna have some canadian bills on hand

if you want something cool and recent, ask them for a Canadian vertical 10, we started doing them recently and they're literally :tenbux: but designed as a vertical piece instead of a horizontal one (the only one i know of myself is dedicated to Canada's equivalent to Rosa Parks and is a light purple like tens have been for awhile now). it's just standard money you get from the bank or as change here, the Bank of Canada just does fun things every so often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Captain Invictus posted:

Is there a coin collecting thread?

There is, not super active but maybe a post will get them out of the woodwork? It works for the bass thread lol.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3706376

corgski posted:

I'm also going to sell off a bunch of my old polaroid cameras, especially since it seems like nobody is ever going to make more packfilm in more than a stupidly expensive single-shot cartridge.

I got enamored with instant photos recently and jumped ship to the Fuji Instax Mini after running only one pack of nu-polaroid film through my grandmother's old camera from the 90s. The Fuji film packs are slightly cheaper, are available in quantity, and occasionally do go on sale if you don't mind a patterned border. Also the color was way better than the polaroid, but I didn't really gently caress with exposure settings there like I probably should have. Only down side is that the Fuji images are the size of business cards, not 3 x 3 inches.

poo poo, I have a collection of old cameras in the closet I got for ~*aesthetics*~ but first things first, I'm chipping away at my old playing card collection getting rid of ones that are too beat up or not pretty enough. Plenty of mistakes were made while buying that collection so I'd like to get down to one box full from the two and a half tcg boxes it currently is.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

Arivia posted:

your average money changer in the US is definitely gonna have some canadian bills on hand

if you want something cool and recent, ask them for a Canadian vertical 10, we started doing them recently and they're literally :tenbux: but designed as a vertical piece instead of a horizontal one (the only one i know of myself is dedicated to Canada's equivalent to Rosa Parks and is a light purple like tens have been for awhile now). it's just standard money you get from the bank or as change here, the Bank of Canada just does fun things every so often.

Ooh, I didn't even think of that. Thanks for the tip!

I will get myself some awesome Canadian money as a treat next time I have deal with the purgatory known as San Francisco International Airport (located in Burlingame, CA -- home of the world famous Pez Museum!!)

Speaking of which, does anyone here actively collect Pez dispensers? I have a few, and I have two of the Pez guns that were banned decades ago, but I don't really seek them out. They are still cool though.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Not a collector, but I saw a billboard for the Pez Visitors Center in CT and couldn't resist. Saw some of the original lighter shape models:

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).
Pez Visitors Center?

If only I had some reason to visit Connecticut, I'd be there in a fuckin' heartbeat!

I love Pez. I just don't actively collect Pez dispensers because I already have too much crap and not enough space.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo

Guy Axlerod posted:

Not a collector, but I saw a billboard for the Pez Visitors Center in CT and couldn't resist. Saw some of the original lighter shape models:

That's great! Pez is a CT based company if I remember right.

I remember growing up in Rhode Island when there we're various Mr. Potato Head statues scattered in random locations throughout the state.

There's still a few left, but this was around the early 2000s, and there were 40 something, so you'd see them quite a bit.
Like a sight seeing collection.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I don't really have a good collection of them yet, but I really love handmade pottery. I've gotten most of mine from thrift stores, but a couple of items I've literally picked up off the curb. For some reason, I just find them really charming, and often quite beautiful (the colors can be so rich!).

BounceBanana
Feb 3, 2021

That and coffee mugs I guess. I only have a few of them though.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
I usually don't tend to think myself as a collector - only as someone who never gets rid of anything.

As such I try to avoid buying anything new, because I know it will never leave - and I instead live vicariously looking at other people's collections.

Since moving into a new house with lots of built ins in my study however, I've had the excuse to pull out all my boxes from the garage and fill the shelves - mainly with my old games that I've owned for years and somewhat embarassing books from when I was a teenager. (Since pretty much everything I've read in the past decade has been on Kindle.) After doing this I pretty much realised that I am a collector after all.

Over the last year or so I've been experimenting with 3D printing, so there's a increasing number of figurines and helmets and what not appearing everywhere. I at least try to keep them theme appropriate.

It's cool having all the console boxes, but it would be better to have that space back. Debating whether to take them back into the garage and use the shelves for something else. (Or even take them out of the boxes and perhaps make little stands for them.)

Isometric Bacon fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jan 24, 2022

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

You appear to be a bit of a Back To The Future fan

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I like that lil' polygonal Mario enough that I will only slightly snicker at the proudly displayed harry potter wand.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Shame Boy posted:

I like that lil' polygonal Mario enough that I will only slightly snicker at the proudly displayed harry potter wand.

Hehe. That one is my partner's. But to be fair I think that, the fantasy books, and the Lara Crofts are her only things on there. The rest is all my shrine to nerdry.

There's also a fun story behind that wand. When we went to Universal Studios in Florida, and visited the wand shop, she was picked by the wizard to do the whole 'wand chooses the wizard' thing where she tried out several wands that blew up various things around the site until she was given the 'right' one, which filled the room with mythical light and music. Twas fun, and was surprising she got picked over 30 or so people in the room, including several children. They probably correctly guessed we were the type of suckers that would buy it, because it was hard not to after an experience like that.

BounceBanana
Feb 3, 2021

Isometric Bacon posted:

I usually don't tend to think myself as a collector - only as someone who never gets rid of anything.

As such I try to avoid buying anything new, because I know it will never leave - and I instead live vicariously looking at other people's collections.

Since moving into a new house with lots of built ins in my study however, I've had the excuse to pull out all my boxes from the garage and fill the shelves - mainly with my old games that I've owned for years and somewhat embarassing books from when I was a teenager. (Since pretty much everything I've read in the past decade has been on Kindle.) After doing this I pretty much realised that I am a collector after all.

Over the last year or so I've been experimenting with 3D printing, so there's a increasing number of figurines and helmets and what not appearing everywhere. I at least try to keep them theme appropriate.

It's cool having all the console boxes, but it would be better to have that space back. Debating whether to take them back into the garage and use the shelves for something else. (Or even take them out of the boxes and perhaps make little stands for them.)

I wish my hoarding looked that organized.

Shame Boy posted:

:smugwizard: Don't let the muggles get ya down.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Isometric Bacon posted:

I miss my Power Rangers toys I had. I see the Green Ranger. I had the Dragonzord and everything. I let my older brother have it because I thought I would never care about it. He proudly displays it in the full built out megazord to have the Mega Dragonzord and Titanus base station thing.

I don't remember what happened to my white Tigerzord.

Beaters
Jun 28, 2004

SOWING SEEDS
OF MISERY SINCE 1937
FRYING LIKE A FRITO
IN THE SKILLET
OF HADES
SINCE 1975
Old firecrackers: packs, bricks, labels. Like these.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

That seems like a fire hazard, but still cool!!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

It's fine until you have to transport the collection

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I have a few different collections.

Board games. I used to have a weekly group, but after life and all that, I just have my current collection, which I try to keep explicitly within my knockoff kalax shelves. Under the brown paper bag is Gloomhaven. The intention is to not Sunbleach it. I’ve forced myself to stack in this odd fashion because of size constraints. The grey boxes are full of Battletech minis.
(Yes I have two editions of Eclipse. No, I won’t explain why.)

Every 7th Edition Call of Cthulhu book that’s currently printed. I also have a Sears catalogue from 1927 (reprinted in 1970-something) and some Manila envelopes of handouts for a Beyond the Mountains of Madness campaign I’ll be running soon.

Various whiskeys. I’ve tried hundreds of bourbons, and what you see here is really my collection of store and barrel-picks and some hard to find Irish whiskeys.

Not pictured are my watches or comic books.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

zaepg posted:

That's great! Pez is a CT based company if I remember right.

I remember growing up in Rhode Island when there we're various Mr. Potato Head statues scattered in random locations throughout the state.

There's still a few left, but this was around the early 2000s, and there were 40 something, so you'd see them quite a bit.
Like a sight seeing collection.

I wonder if there is one of these in New Mexico in that town that is full of fiberglass marketing statues.

DC to Daylight
Feb 13, 2012

Rick posted:

I wonder if there is one of these in New Mexico in that town that is full of fiberglass marketing statues.

By any chance is the town in question Truth or Consequences, New Mexico?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Apparently I collect old video game boxes from the 90s and a bit into the 2000s. I found a pretty large box in storage at my parents last night and it contained all these boxes of games I used to buy. Discs are lost though, only the boxes.

Original C&C game box from 1996, Doom II, Terra Nova (that was a good game), Civ II and so on. I wonder if the boxes are worth anything withou the original CDs or diskettes. drat stupid, I think I tossed most of them when I moved once in the mid 00s.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

His Divine Shadow posted:

Apparently I collect old video game boxes from the 90s and a bit into the 2000s. I found a pretty large box in storage at my parents last night and it contained all these boxes of games I used to buy. Discs are lost though, only the boxes.

Original C&C game box from 1996, Doom II, Terra Nova (that was a good game), Civ II and so on. I wonder if the boxes are worth anything withou the original CDs or diskettes. drat stupid, I think I tossed most of them when I moved once in the mid 00s.

god, I wish i had kept my boxes, they really don't make 'em like they used to.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I took some pictures

Terra Nova has such a great cover

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

"I just saved your ass... with MONOPOLY!"
I swear I'm an adult but this is my Webkinz collection, they turn up in thrift stores quite often and this isn't even all of the ones I have :)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

"What I wouldn't give to return to those halcyon days."

MagpieConcept
Feb 6, 2022

I collect cassette tapes! I got into it because I was gifted a cheap cassette player and started realizing it was way easier to collect cassettes vs vinyls for me mainly because of price. On bandcamp you often get the digital album on top of the cassette version most of the time, and cassettes are cheap. I've never seen them go over $15. I'm also a terminal 90s kid so I have some nostalgia wrt having a walkman.

I've never been much of an audiophile because I'm partially deaf to begin with, so I can't really recommend audio quality wise - unless you just happen to love the sound of tape hiss like me :D

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

MagpieConcept posted:

I collect cassette tapes! I got into it because I was gifted a cheap cassette player and started realizing it was way easier to collect cassettes vs vinyls for me mainly because of price. On bandcamp you often get the digital album on top of the cassette version most of the time, and cassettes are cheap. I've never seen them go over $15. I'm also a terminal 90s kid so I have some nostalgia wrt having a walkman.

I've never been much of an audiophile because I'm partially deaf to begin with, so I can't really recommend audio quality wise - unless you just happen to love the sound of tape hiss like me :D

I’ve always loved how tapes sound. Sometimes they wear in nice, too, until they hit the point where they start to sound cruddy. I have albums I listened to to death on tape and when I finally got them on CD I didn’t like how it sounded.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
The tapes I wore out in middle school started to pitch up I think so Dave Grohl sounded a little chipmunky

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
And here I am considering letting my cassette collection go. I just don't have the time to listen to them and as much as I loved playing with them as a kid, they're my least favorite audio format these days. Always cool when you find something wierd at the thrift store though, which is how I got most of mine.

MagpieConcept
Feb 6, 2022

I'm kind of surprised at how many modern album releases are available on cassette tbh, have a lot of Jeff Rosenstock and clipping. in my collection. Cassette players are also surprisingly easy to fix - I have very little tech/mechanical knowledge but I've opened up the portable player to fix the reels more than once without too much hassle.

BigFactory posted:

I’ve always loved how tapes sound. Sometimes they wear in nice, too, until they hit the point where they start to sound cruddy. I have albums I listened to to death on tape and when I finally got them on CD I didn’t like how it sounded.
Same here, & I feel like tapes can sometimes hold out a little longer than CDs in durability (or maybe because my CD collection is just scratched up to poo poo cuz I've had it since middle school) but it kind of sucks none of my computers have disc drives to even be able to listen to them there now lol.

I feel like some albums work better on cassette than others too, like EDM doesn't sound as good on cassette because very little bass, but punk/rock/riot grrl stuff is probably my fave for that format.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Mixes for/from friends are more fun on cassettes

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP
When I was a kid in the 1970's and early 80's I collected soda and beer bottle caps until my dad threw them all out without tell me along with a number of bones I've collected including a full sized horse skull.

I also collected Hot Wheels / Matchbox cars along with the first lines of Star Wars action figures and toys, but they were either destroyed, stolen or sold by my mother in a yard sale. Parents are really a major hinderance in maintaining a collection of anything as a kid.

Later on I had a nice collection of comic books - most from a hardcore Christian fundamental evangelical uncle who was also a Gideon (chief motel Bible distributor type), but who had a thing for sci-fi and superheros. He was also a good source for Jack Chick tracts. I also supplemented my collection via the public library since they didn't require a card or id to check out comic books. I've since sold or given most of my comic books except for the line of Milk n' Cheese comics.

For awhile I was collecting and selling older video game systems via the Usenet groups and buying hordes of games from thrift stores like the old Atari 2600, Intellivision, Odyssey, Vectrex and other systems. The rise of eBay destroyed the supply and I sold everything off.

However, I still have certain collections and added more recently. I've been collecting stamps for 43 years (yes, I'm and old gently caress) and also collect related postal history, postal stationery, postcards and documents with revenue stamps like stock certs. and deeds. I have a full sized bedroom chocked to the ceiling on selves full of stamp covers. I'm also a dealer so it's a vicious cycle of sell some, buy more.

I guess I collect various PS2, PS3 and PS4 games since I have bought more than I've actually played.

I've also taken up astronomy in the last few years and have three telescopes so that's not really collecting, but I really like the eyepieces and have amassed over 30 so far.

Samples:

I have more, but need more cases.

And now this year, after a trip to Lake Superior I'm collecting rocks and looking into getting a tumbler or two.

I would collect so many other things as it's my nature - especially things I can find or search for. I love the hunt for things and probably why I was a field archaeologist for 20 years.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I collect stamps but use them when I write to friends. When they write back, I shame them for their pedestrian collection of postage.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
I’ve decided to branch out from just fashion dolls, mainly because Integrity has long delays on shipping right now.

I found this on a local marketplace website for way cheaper than I’ve seen anywhere else.

He looks pretty hilarious amongst the mean space themed supermodels though.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Have any of you gotten stuck with a collection you didn't want? I recently unearthed a collection of hat pins given to me by a relative like 15 years ago and stuck in the back of a closet. Did a bunch of research and come to find out the vast majority of what I have are fakes, even all four of the ceramic holders for them are likely repros too. I'm tempted to just donate the whole lot, as the few that might be authentic originals are so common they're hardly worth noting.

At least I'll have the space for the extra boxes of paperweights I was looking for, just disappointed that the hatpin collection still means nothing to me after all these years.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Take up wearing hats?

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Gripweed posted:

Take up wearing hats?

Lol, that'd be a trip. I'd have to dig up a hair piece as well as large floppy edwardian hats as my hair is too short and I plan on keeping it that way for the foreseeable future. Maybe I ought to get a cloche hat to go with my approximation of a 1920s bob? Coincidentally that is the the time period when hat pins fell out of fashion; partly because of short hair being the new hotness. Though on the other hand it means I wouldn't have a weapon to stab unsavory men with.....

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Aug 22, 2022

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Turbinosamente posted:

Have any of you gotten stuck with a collection you didn't want? I recently unearthed a collection of hat pins given to me by a relative like 15 years ago and stuck in the back of a closet. Did a bunch of research and come to find out the vast majority of what I have are fakes, even all four of the ceramic holders for them are likely repros too. I'm tempted to just donate the whole lot, as the few that might be authentic originals are so common they're hardly worth noting.

At least I'll have the space for the extra boxes of paperweights I was looking for, just disappointed that the hatpin collection still means nothing to me after all these years.

Yeah, I have a large collection of "Precious Moment" porcelain figurines from my mother. Boxes and boxes of them and I just haven't been able to muster the energy to properly figure out their value and try to sell them, so they sit in my spare room giving the boxes a purpose for existing.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

The Locator posted:

Yeah, I have a large collection of "Precious Moment" porcelain figurines from my mother. Boxes and boxes of them and I just haven't been able to muster the energy to properly figure out their value and try to sell them, so they sit in my spare room giving the boxes a purpose for existing.

Oh God I don't envy you there, those things are like beanie babies: there's probably a select few early ones worth a couple bucks and the rest just... aren't.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Turbinosamente posted:

Oh God I don't envy you there, those things are like beanie babies: there's probably a select few early ones worth a couple bucks and the rest just... aren't.

Yup.. and I don't have any family that would want them, so they sit in the boxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Turbinosamente posted:

Yah I collected baseball cards in the 90s and 2000s. and didn't learn my lesson cause i am getting cards with my kids.

This may sound silly but do you also have a local theater troupe or artists collective, they might want some of that stuff.