Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjkRB1Ibjj0

Let's do some reverse slammies while we're at it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

"shoophobo? more like shittyposter!" :grin:

Fallen Rib
trannies lol.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Blue Train posted:

idiot bitch, 1980: I want my car to shift gears for me, driving is hard
idiot bitch, 2016: I want my car to drive itself for me, driving is hard

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
A guy I know... This video or car would not be anywhere near as cool with an auto/glide.

https://youtu.be/wF_aQ_jWpBE

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

My WRX manual specifically says don't put the car in first gear when you park, and just use the parking break.

How can a parking break fail? (it can't unless you have no idea how to tweak it every 15 years to adjust for wear down).

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Wendigee posted:

My WRX manual specifically says don't put the car in first gear when you park, and just use the parking break.

How can a parking break fail? (it can't unless you have no idea how to tweak it every 15 years to adjust for wear down).

The cables can rust and snap, although that'll usually happen as you're pulling up on the brake.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Or the mechanism can just freeze solid if the car was wet.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
WRX's are not know for the world's strongest manual transmissions, although the only way I could see the trans being damaged from being left in gear is if the car was run into by another vehicle.

Parking brakes are not infallible, though, they're much weaker than the normal foot brake, so on a hill, ALWAYS put the car in gear as well as use the parking brake. Turn the wheel so that the tires are against the curb, too, if possible.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Wendigee posted:

what why

Sialia
Feb 12, 2016

All the cool cats are using CVTs, clearly

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube
i've had the handbrake snap on a fiesta ST, an iggy sport and a lovely old punto. It's clicked off the ratchet system about three times on my swift sport. i don't even bother with handbrakes anymore, it's not even like I'm doing hanbrake turns or anything.
swift and ST both need clutch depressed to start

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
first things i learned when i was being taught to drive stick was to always leave it in gear (first or reverse depending on the angle of the incline) with the pbrake on when parking and always disengage the clutch before turning the ignition

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
My Mazda 3 '98 only starts if the clutch is down, which I think is good, it instills BEST PRACTICES in the driver

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

CharlesM posted:

The cables can rust and snap, although that'll usually happen as you're pulling up on the brake.

Or, if the system uses those small brake shoes in the rear rotors, the backing plates which hold the mechanism in place on each wheel can rust and they just fall apart and rattle around in the drum. The shoes can also delaminate and freeze the mechanism.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Sialia posted:

All the cool cats are using CVTs, clearly

cvt = 'coolest version (of) transmissions'

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
oh let me just shift a bunch of gears like a jerk instead of having optimum power and torque at all speeds

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Optimum power and torque for what, sucking and being slow?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
CVTs should be good because they can theoretically hold the car at optimum RPMs but every single one I've driven is like the least responsive thing ever

*puts foot on floor*

*transmission talking in fat guy voice*

"whooaa just hold on a second buddy *grunt unnrrggh* OK here we gooougghhh"

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Monkey Fracas posted:

CVTs should be good because they can theoretically hold the car at optimum RPMs but every single one I've driven is like the least responsive thing ever

*puts foot on floor*

"Hold on, lemme just *FAAAAAAAAAAAAAARMRMBMRMBMRMBMRMMRMBMRHHLGLGLLLl" ok, vroom vroom, have fun*

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I prefer automatics because I'm lazy and don't particularly enjoy driving anyways

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

mobby_6kl posted:

Optimum power and torque for what, sucking and being slow?

but enough about your mother! ah ah ah

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
I'm a car autist who loves jerkin' my stick. I make no apologies.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ElGroucho posted:

"Hold on, lemme just *FAAAAAAAAAAAAAARMRMBMRMBMRMBMRMMRMBMRHHLGLGLLLl" ok, vroom vroom, have fun*

Maybe it's just Nissan CVTs that are like this

all my rental cars wind up being Nissans for some reason and they loooove CVTs and also locking proper throttle response and better CVT behavior behind a "Sport Mode" which I'm guessing is some MPG-fixing bullshit

they even put a CVT in the Maxima which they still dare to call a "sport sedan"

gently caress you Nissan make a new Z-car

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Monkey Fracas posted:

Maybe it's just Nissan CVTs that are like this

all my rental cars wind up being Nissans for some reason and they loooove CVTs and also locking proper throttle response and better CVT behavior behind a "Sport Mode" which I'm guessing is some MPG-fixing bullshit

they even put a CVT in the Maxima which they still dare to call a "sport sedan"

gently caress you Nissan make a new Z-car

I had a loaner Altima for a weekend this past summer and it was the same way. Putting your foot down revved the engine, but the car just didn't want to actually move. They offer a model with a V6, but I don't know what the point is when it's locked away behind that lovely transmission. The brakes on that car were the opposite though. There was no analog range to them and anything more than the lightest feather touch slammed you against the seatbelt.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Consider this - the LEAST lovely cvt I've ever driven was in an altima.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Gaspergers.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Monkey Fracas posted:

*puts foot on floor*

automatics.txt

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
A transmission that makes the car's RPMs gradually climb in an uncanny fashion even though speed isn't actually increasing? I sense the fell influence of the Dark Automotive Priests and their master Zaul'gth The Transmission Defiler

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
On my big cliched cross country American road trip last year I concluded that a combination of all cars being automatic, having cruise control and the pointless state of driving tests combined to make you the worst nation of drivers I've been in. When you can drive with literally one finger for hours on end you lose all connection to the fact you're controlling a hulking metal death machine. Dangerous poo poo that makes me rage in the UK was absolutely par for the course in the states.

My manual driving skills came in useful in Seattle when I went with my stoned friend to pick up his buddy's car, which he'd parked on a hill, so suffered two attempts of him trying to reverse and instead rolling into the car in front before I took over.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
a take so lukewarm a british pub would pour it in a glass and charge you for it

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

some months back I reluctantly agreed to do a run for a friend in his new scania eurofag truck and was horrified when I got in and found it had this gay autoshifting setup so basically all, I had to do is steer it just didn't seem right but after 2 days I started to like it I think I might be gay now

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Butterfly Valley posted:

On my big cliched cross country American road trip last year I concluded that a combination of all cars being automatic, having cruise control and the pointless state of driving tests combined to make you the worst nation of drivers I've been in. When you can drive with literally one finger for hours on end you lose all connection to the fact you're controlling a hulking metal death machine. Dangerous poo poo that makes me rage in the UK was absolutely par for the course in the states.

My manual driving skills came in useful in Seattle when I went with my stoned friend to pick up his buddy's car, which he'd parked on a hill, so suffered two attempts of him trying to reverse and instead rolling into the car in front before I took over.

Well, I dont know about a cross country trip in a foreign country being cliched, but your opinion certainly is

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Butterfly Valley posted:

Drivers in Czechia are terrible too. Myth busted.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I've driven in places like Turkey where on the surface of it the roads are much more dangerous and the rules broken far more, but because you know everyone drives like a lunatic you can match your behaviour accordingly and it feels safer. The states ostensibly should be a lot better but in practice I had so many more near misses there than anywhere else. poo poo like truckers pulling into my lane without indicating and forcing me to brake/change lanes immediately or be squashed, but there's a row of pick up trucks in the fast lane and in front who have been driving 5mph under the speed limit for the last few miles, so brake it is and hope the guy behind you is paying attention and isn't on his phone because that also doesn't seem to have filtered through to the general consciousness as to be a loving stupid thing to do. Anyway sorry for the derail. I wish I was driving a manual on the blue ridge parkway and up highway 1.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Nov 24, 2016

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

CharlesM posted:

Drivers in Czechia are terrible too. Myth busted.
At least they know to stay the gently caress away from the left lane! For the most part.

You really haven't seen poo poo until you've driven in Russia or other real Eastern Europe, or most of the third world. South Africa was surprisingly civilized in my experience but everything else is quite a bit crazier.

Also made this take on a famous flag in another thread but it really belongs here.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
lol if your car doesn't have five gears + reverse

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

jBrereton posted:

lol if your car doesn't have five gears + reverse

i stole the 5speed knob off my totaled 325 a half hour before it got crushed and use it in my 540. secret maximum speed gear

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

mobby_6kl posted:

At least they know to stay the gently caress away from the left lane! For the most part.

You really haven't seen poo poo until you've driven in Russia or other real Eastern Europe, or most of the third world. South Africa was surprisingly civilized in my experience but everything else is quite a bit crazier.

Also made this take on a famous flag in another thread but it really belongs here.

Actually when I've been there in modern times it's been normal enough. I was there as a kid back when it was Czechoslovakia and things were a bit scarier. I didn't think anybody was going to call me out on my BS posting :P

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
due to the stupid traffic here i've thought about making up DENVER ROWING CLUB bumper stickers with a shift pattern on one side and a diagram of the Mousetrap on the other. when its clear tho, good good is it fun to drop to third and hammer those onramps

whats yr favorite gear? mine's third

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woden
May 6, 2006

UltraRed posted:

This thread was solved in the title, why are people still posting? :confused:

It's all the aspergers people sperging out.

• Locked thread