Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Growing up as the son of a teacher and a potter, "$50,000" was stuck in my head as lawyer salary. That actually wasn't insane at the time (granted, gov't positions pay less, then as now I assume)

going with GS-12 @ 47242 a year in 1985, that would be $131K roughly in modern money.

Going by 2021 numbers (:laugh:), a $100K salary is 67th percentile so whatever "a lot" means, you're beating most of the country. Unless you live in Coastal CA or NYC in which case :lol:

I will say that I make Something More Than $131K and by the time we feed four people, pay for childcare for one person, maintain a 2100 sq ft house* and a single 2015 Forester, keep 2 cats alive, and burn about 2/3 a metric ton of firewood and 600gals of fuel oil in a year it doesn't actually feel like that much money. I'm not complaining, we're doing fine as long as we can maintain roughly 80% current income level until we're substantially out from under this mortgage, but it is not as much money as it would have sounded like to me in 2006 when I was making $27,500K as a tech worker at a NPO in Buffalo. I would have assumed that got into "gently caress you money", and it's nowhere close.

On the other hand -- Childcare eats $5k pretax and another $8k post tax. Medical expenses, deductibles, bills etc eat another 10-15K. The heating I just outlined is 5k. Having a house that doesn't leak from either direction has been a $50k project over 4 years. Keeping a vehicle safely serviced up here is easily $5k a year no matter how you slice it, and a lot more if you like to drive something nicer than a Forester (which is not a bad vehicle, to be clear, Subie QC issues 2012-present aside). So there's just a straight 40k in post tax income to keep poo poo floating and then add in 21K in mortgage, homeowners insurance and property tax payments for year and we're at 60k post tax / roughly $76,000 in pretax income. That leaves plenty to live on, sure, but there's a ton of kid expenses not really reflected in that and also doesn't include poo poo like "oh, our kid had 2 seizures in 2 years in 2 different deductable periods, some of which wasn't covered, so there's another $10k a year those two years". poo poo loving adds up.

If we made half as much as we do we'd have access to all kind of aid we don't, but I still think we'd be "barely loving scraping by". When we bought this house the math I did was "if my income went down 40% could we keep the mortgage?" and I was pretty sure the answer to that was yes, now I think it's, "yes, but that would come with INSANE concessions around basically every aspect of our life".

6-digit tech worker privilege, or not, we've switched to store brand for a lot of grocery items over the last few years as prices have just gone bonkers. I used to be a lot pickier, now I'll mostly eat anything that's just ingrediants to make food and not full of a shitload of weird poo poo. Not springing for the organic tomatoes in 2023, :lol:

also I can't believe I put this much effort into responding to a pencilneck post

gently caress you, pencilneck

* Overall life here is cheaper than when we shared an 1100 sq ft apartment in Roslyn VA and had no car at all, and I have 10 years of financial data demonstrating that. There's hidden costs to living in rural world, but living in a major metro area was just "oh, you need room for TWO people? Here's a loving $2500 lease, PLUS expenses, fuckin enjoy it, assholes. Also milk is $6/gallon at the only stores you can walk to because most people in this zip code make $150k plus".

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Feb 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Cabbages and Kings posted:

also I can't believe I put this much effort into responding to a pencilneck post

gently caress you, pencilneck

pencilneck isn't going to send you a copy of his year-end ADP paystub with that attitude

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

MrQwerty posted:

pencilneck isn't going to send you a copy of his year-end ADP paystub with that attitude

I only want to see it because I got ADP paystubs 2008-2009 and I'd like to verify for myself that the system and output hasn't changed in any meaningful way

e: at the time I was making like $37,500 a year as an IT guy getting bullied by shithead car dealers in Buffalo :laugh:

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

as already said how much 100k is really depends on where you are. In Yellowknife, the median household income is about $150,000, (one of the highest in Canada), but the cost of living tends to be a bunch higher north of the 60th parallel. at the least the rents are cheaper than in Victoria

for much of Canada 100k is very good money, so long as you’re far enough away from the economic vortexes of Toronto and Vancouver