Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Yeah thank goodness that Kung Fu Panda never had any concept art that sugge---oh nooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Pick posted:

Yeah thank goodness that Kung Fu Panda never had any concept art that sugge---oh nooo

i legit dont understand what you're implying about the pics you posted. they look normal?

ghost sex
May 19, 2013
putting a design for a martial badass next to a character voiced by and based on shakira doesn't seem like a completely fair comparison

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ghost sex posted:

putting a design for a martial badass next to a character voiced by and based on shakira doesn't seem like a completely fair comparison

The fairest comparison would be with Judy, who isn't exactly a sexpot.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Now post some concept art for the snake from KFP, who was voiced by Lucy Liu. if you've ever wanted to see how people try to draw a 'sexy' snake...

Anyway, the point is people making mountains of poo poo about something that isn't even a molehill. Anyway, I liked both trailers for this cartoon, and it seems pretty fun.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 2, 2016

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
are there other animated motion pictures coming out this year? i've forgotten.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Pick posted:

Oh no a group of people I don't even associate with might like thing

It is going to take something really special to beat "I refuse to like Zootopia alone among all the animated films where all the characters are animals because what if Furries?!?" as the Gooniest argument of 2016.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Kung Fu Panda 3 and Finding Dorie for starters

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Who's the big baddie in KFP 3? This is the one where Po finds his dad, right?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Drifter posted:

It's some big water buffalo guy.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Drifter posted:

A demon water buffalo that appears to have been sealed away by Master Oogway.

The film appears to be about Po finding a bunch of pandas and then training them to be Kung Fu Pandas of their own.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

They'd drat well better. If not Disney, who else? xXxPrincessCelestiaxXx?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

computer parts posted:

The film appears to be about Po finding a bunch of pandas and then training them to be Kung Fu Pandas of their own.

It's the 'Shrek 3' of the Dreamworks shitshow formula.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Drifter posted:

Were you this up in arms about KFP? There is very little difference in the designs except in KFP the characters wore old-school poor-villager human outfits instead of modern middle class human outfits. Are you a closet furry classist?

Goddamn, Tangled is their best modern-era cartoon. I loved it.

I feel like the posted concept art speaks for itself but heck no, KFP is/was great and the character design is legitimately exceptional. I'm so sad I never got a copy of the art book :(

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
So who's seen Anomalisa?

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Drifter posted:

Anyway, the point is people making mountains of poo poo about something that isn't even a molehill. Anyway, I liked both trailers for this cartoon, and it seems pretty fun.

This basically :/ I had no idea how salty people would get about someone disliking the art style. I thought the style clash for Good Dinosaur was totally fine but I didn't throw a fit about people not liking it :confused:

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

redcheval posted:

This basically :/ I had no idea how salty people would get about someone disliking the art style. I thought the style clash for Good Dinosaur was totally fine but I didn't throw a fit about people not liking it :confused:

Nah, I'm in the same boat and line of thinking as well. I just don't bring it up because people around here get really, really defensive of suspected furry bashing or whatever. Not a huge issue or anything but when people complained of the art style earlier they were called out on bashing furries too.

I don't really like the trailer not because of furries but just the art style look throws me off. I can't really nail why but it looks like all the characters are just bland and the only defining aspect of their character is their species. Different strokes for different folks and all that. Sexy gazelle Shakira is just weird though. I'm not touching that with a 10-foot pole.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Red Mundus posted:

Nah, I'm in the same boat and line of thinking as well. I just don't bring it up because people around here get really, really defensive of suspected furry bashing or whatever. Not a huge issue or anything but when people complained of the art style earlier they were called out on bashing furries too.

It's not about furry-bashing. It's caring about what the "furry" response to a property will be. It's entirely irrelevant, and also kind of absurd to devote that kind of energy to thinking about how to defend the sexual innocence of talking cartoon animals from .000000001% of the population.

It's not "Don't be mean to furries" it's "Who loving cares?"

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Drifter posted:

I watched planet of the apes what a furry loving movie, monkeys talking and poo poo everywhere I looked on screen.

It's actually been noticed that there are no primates in Zootopia, even though the city is mammal-only.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Corek posted:

It's actually been noticed that there are no primates in Zootopia, even though the city is mammal-only.

Maybe the monkeys are the villains. I'm fine with everything if they even went, "you know, monkeys have been done to dath, and I don't really want them to be just another stereotypical funny monkey thing. Let's go with other animals."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pick posted:

It's not about furry-bashing. It's caring about what the "furry" response to a property will be. It's entirely irrelevant, and also kind of absurd to devote that kind of energy to thinking about how to defend the sexual innocence of talking cartoon animals from .000000001% of the population.

Yeah, pretty much this. I don't care about furries. I don't care if they like the film or hate the film or adopt it as their new god.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Pick posted:

Yeah but I didn't say anything like that. So it kind of came out of nowhere and was a strange, disproportionate, defensive response. I just said I didn't like the style, which reminds me of furry art that I personally don't care for at all. Which shouldn't be a big deal, you would think.

mareep fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 2, 2016

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I'm gonna gently caress all the tigers in the rear end, i'm gonna gently caress them in the rear end

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Red Mundus posted:

I don't really like the trailer not because of furries but just the art style look throws me off. I can't really nail why but it looks like all the characters are just bland and the only defining aspect of their character is their species. Different strokes for different folks and all that. Sexy gazelle Shakira is just weird though. I'm not touching that with a 10-foot pole.

What kind of Underdog Complex do you have to have to think Something Awful forums is a hug box for furries? What next? Thinking you're the minority for liking Mad Max?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

redcheval posted:

Yeah but I didn't say anything like that. So it kind of came out of nowhere and was a strange, disproportionate, defensive response. I just said I didn't like the style, which reminds me of furry art that I personally don't care for at all. Which shouldn't be a big deal, you would think.

This argument is kinda hilarious to me because it's the drat internet; I could show you photorealistic drawings of a garbanzo bean loving a lawnmower and then, what, you're suddenly never going to mow your lawn again or something?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Drifter posted:

This argument is kinda hilarious to me because it's the drat internet; I could show you photorealistic drawings of a garbanzo bean loving a lawnmower and then, what, you're suddenly never going to mow your lawn again or something?

Seriously.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Corek posted:

I was curious about where all the reptiles are but apparently the movie explains why they aren't around. Maybe the movie will explain primates as well.

*edit* Maybe that's the plot twist? Primates are taking over and this is all taking place before we evolved into humans. :v:

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Drifter posted:

Sorry, I really have no idea where this is coming from. I just don't like how the movie looks! It's all good y'all!

E: also lol because garbanzo beans are so good.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

To un-derail, I thought KFP2 was good but not as good as KFP1... Kinda curious how the third movie is gonna shake out. I did super appreciate that Amazon is practically giving away digital copies of the first movie though since I only have the DVD. The trailer looked decent but not super memorable so I think it could go either way.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Red Mundus posted:

I was curious about where all the reptiles are but apparently the movie explains why they aren't around. Maybe the movie will explain primates as well.

*edit* Maybe that's the plot twist? Primates are taking over and this is all taking place before we evolved into humans. :v:

This puts a whole new spin on Slylock Fox. Maybe Count Weirdly genetically engineered humans?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Steve2911 posted:

It's the 'Shrek 3' of the Dreamworks shitshow formula.

I like the general idea of Kung Fu Panda 3 being a loose retelling of Seven Samurai with Po having to teach the other pandas how to fight, but those panda babies in the trailer also give me Shrek 3 flashbacks.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

KFP 2 had the real historical threat to kung fu to draw from. KFP 3 is based on a desire to sell baby panda merchandise. It's probably gonna blow.

But I do love me some Kung Fu Panda, so I'm going to try and be optimistic.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
KFP3 is also a Chinese co-production due to Dreamworks laying off a lot of their staff and replacing them with a Chinese studio, so the actual talent behind it is going to be different too.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
How badly is Dreamworks doing anyways? IIRC, didn't Home have to be a blockbuster hit to keep the company in good standing or am I confused?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I hate to sound judgmental but Chinese animation studios tend to amazingly terrible at innovative ideas (with the notable exception of WOLF SMOKE), so I'm going with the interpretation that DreamWorks is much more interested in cozying up to the Chinese government to get guaranteed cinema screenings and making their films more cheaply with technically proficient but ultimately uninspired artists in china.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
So I guess this is the inverse hype strategy where you feel good about the movie since it's not soul crushingly terrible?

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

I hate to sound judgmental but Chinese animation studios tend to amazingly terrible at innovative ideas (with the notable exception of WOLF SMOKE), so I'm going with the interpretation that DreamWorks is much more interested in cozying up to the Chinese government to get guaranteed cinema screenings and making their films more cheaply with technically proficient but ultimately uninspired artists in china.

DreamWorks always seems to be struggling. So much great former Disney talent is there now, but it seems like they're always tripping over their own feet. Like they can't help the business side of things mucking everything up constantly.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Is Kaztenberg still involved at DW Animation? Who is actually the buck-stops-here person calling the shots there (a la Lasseter) these days?

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I dunno about you guys but these cartoon animals in Zootopia are not even like HALF as sexy as the cartoon animals in Rango

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

I dunno about you guys but these cartoon animals in Zootopia are not even like HALF as sexy as the cartoon animals in Rango

The Klaus Kinski gila monster is my furry husbando.

• Locked thread