Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
#TeamRattlesnakeJake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Rattlesnake Jake is so tsundere :swoon:

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Rattlesnake Jake is the the loving coolest, one of the best villains in an animated film.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

peace on earth, good will towards snakes

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Al-Saqr posted:

Rattlesnake Jake is the the loving coolest, one of the best villains in an animated film.

His intro is loving great, it's so loving great.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I was not big on Rango and you guys are really making me want to give it a second shot.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I was not big on Rango and you guys are really making me want to give it a second shot.

Couldn't hurt.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Pick posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srNcuhne0Y8&t=114s

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Pick posted:

Lookit those little 'tache markings. Great design.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I feel the same way but the whole thing is worth it because Rattlesnake Jake is so kickass.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
I just got the joke/reference about calling the rattlesnake Jake. :downs:

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
For some reason I always thought Rango was regarded as a bad movie but it turns out I was confusing it with another movie. Was quite the surprise when I caught it flipping channels on TV and was wondering why it took me so long to see this. It's so good.

I'm actually surprised they made rattlesnake Jake's mouth movements look so drat good considering it's a snakes snout. The cgi was really, really good.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I think I watched the first half of Rango but never the second. I should probably fix that, the designs are seriously nice.

Steve2911" post"454493163 posted:

It's the 'Shrek 3' of the Dreamworks shitshow formula.

I forget: is Shrek 3 the one with King Arthur or the one with the alternate reality where he was never born? Because the latter was terrible, but the former was at least serviceable.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

KFP 2 had the real historical threat to kung fu to draw from. KFP 3 is based on a desire to sell baby panda merchandise. It's probably gonna blow.

But I do love me some Kung Fu Panda, so I'm going to try and be optimistic.

This... seems like an incredibly unfair judgement? I mean, there are baby pandas, yes, and they are adorable, yes, but it does not seem at all like they are the only hook of the movie.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

paradoxGentleman posted:

I forget: is Shrek 3 the one with King Arthur or the one with the alternate reality where he was never born? Because the latter was terrible, but the former was at least serviceable.

3 is the one with King Arthur, I thought 4 was pretty mediocre and that 3 was utter garbage.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The CG in Rango was nice, but I didn't enjoy the story or characters much.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

paradoxGentleman posted:

I think I watched the first half of Rango but never the second. I should probably fix that, the designs are seriously nice.

You thought Shrek 3 was "serviceable"?

As someone who actually thought Shrek 4 was pretty good, I thought Shrek 3 was one of the worst piles of poo poo Dreamworks, or any studio, has ever done. They should be embarrassed it was ever made. There isn't a single thing in that entire movie that you couldn't just fit into a 5 minute montage at the beginning of Shrek 4. NOTHING happens for the entire movie

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I liked how Arthur was this scheming, underhanded sort who got what he wanted by manipulating Merlin's feelings first and lying to the guards later; I remember some funny jokes (Merlin, for example, and the medieval high school) and I found nice the return of Prince Charming, especially the way he rallied the villains. It was neat. Oh, and there were those scenes where Shrek tries to act as a king! Those were also funny.

The freaky fryday flip between Puss and Donkey was kind of creatively bankrupt, and Shrek struggling with feelings of fatherhood did not impress me, but I would not call the movie bad, exactly. Certainly a cash-in of a popular franchise, not all that great but not bad either.

Now Shrek 4, that I consider Bad with a capital Oh God Why Am I Wasting My Short Life On Earth Watching This. What did you like about it?

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Renoistic posted:

The CG in Rango was nice, but I didn't enjoy the story or characters much.

I didn't like it either. I had super hyped expectations so I feel like some of it was that. The bat chase canyon sequence thing though is something else.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
The thing that got me about Rango was the realistic kind of teeth everyone had. I couldn't stop looking at them because if they had been in a human, they'd be fine, but since everyone was designed with wide, expressive mouths and lips, they had SO MANY TEETH.

Now if we're talking upcoming movies with offputting character design, I'm still pointing straight at the Sly Cooper movie. Seriously, the games had a very distinctive, cartoony style to them, and they decided to go with a photorealistic raccoon head put on a human body. And Bentley, poor Bentley, what did they do to you? Murray as well.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Geomancing posted:

Now if we're talking upcoming movies with offputting character design, I'm still pointing straight at the Sly Cooper movie. Seriously, the games had a very distinctive, cartoony style to them, and they decided to go with a photorealistic raccoon head put on a human body. And Bentley, poor Bentley, what did they do to you? Murray as well.

There's a drat good reason why games like Sly Cooper go with a stylised design for their characters.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Huh, never heard that it was getting a movie before now. I'm amazed that the series is popular enough for one, if I'm honest.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Steve2911 posted:

Huh, never heard that it was getting a movie before now. I'm amazed that the series is popular enough for one, if I'm honest.

It's not. That's what makes its existence all the more crazy. Dito with the Ratchet and Clank movie.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
Much as I love both Sly Cooper and Ratchet and Clank, neither one was exactly a powerhouse series on consoles. Heck, even though the remake of the first R&C game is coming out this year concurrent with the movie, the last Sly Cooper game was released in early 2013. I hope neither Sucker Punch or Insomniac have too many eggs in their respective baskets; neither one has the money to throw around that Square did when The Spirits Within was being developed and we know how well that turned out. I can't see their movies being, at best not too bad of a flop and at worst a disaster.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

dreezy posted:

are there other animated motion pictures coming out this year? i've forgotten.

Has Anomalisa come out yet?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

It's really disappointing they throw away such a distinct style for something so bland - I mean, even those who never picked up the games would probably not give the movie designs second glance, while the game designs would be so different from the CGI animations that it'd immediately catch attention.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Geomancing posted:

Much as I love both Sly Cooper and Ratchet and Clank, neither one was exactly a powerhouse series on consoles. Heck, even though the remake of the first R&C game is coming out this year concurrent with the movie, the last Sly Cooper game was released in early 2013. I hope neither Sucker Punch or Insomniac have too many eggs in their respective baskets; neither one has the money to throw around that Square did when The Spirits Within was being developed and we know how well that turned out. I can't see their movies being, at best not too bad of a flop and at worst a disaster.

I think it's more of a Sony thing than an Insomniac/Sucker Punch thing, especially since Sucker Punch (the developers of Sly Cooper) jumped ship and make (bad) games for Xbox now.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

raditts posted:

Has Anomalisa come out yet?

Yes but not wide release.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Ratchet and Clank seems like it might be okay.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Sleeveless posted:

I think it's more of a Sony thing than an Insomniac/Sucker Punch thing, especially since Sucker Punch (the developers of Sly Cooper) jumped ship and make (bad) games for Xbox now.

But Sucker Punch has never made a game on Xbox and has mostly just done Infamous since Sly Cooper :confused:. Are you maybe thinking of Insomniac Games with Fuse and Sunset Overdrive?

Trash Boat fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 3, 2016

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Sleeveless posted:

You're thinking of Insomniac, who make both Xbone and PS4 exclusives. Sucker Punch still only makes Playstation games.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Yes. Like the rest of the world I failed to actually remember anything about Sunset Overdrive.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

Yes. Like the rest of the world I failed to actually remember anything about Sunset Overdrive.

It's okay

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Is The Boy and The Beast getting localized anytime soon? I haven't seen it yet but when I google it I can't seem to find anything about it. Might be searching with the wrong keywords or something.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Red Mundus posted:

Is The Boy and The Beast getting localized anytime soon? I haven't seen it yet but when I google it I can't seem to find anything about it. Might be searching with the wrong keywords or something.

Funimation's got the rights to it and they're doing screenings of it sometime soon.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I'm gonna gently caress all the tigers in the rear end, i'm gonna gently caress them in the rear end
It's a magical world, Hobbes. Let's go exploring!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Pick posted:

Yes but not wide release.

Okay, thought so.

There's also The Little Prince, although I think that came out everywhere but the US months ago.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, pretty much this. I don't care about furries. I don't care if they like the film or hate the film or adopt it as their new god.

I dunno maybe I'm the weird one but it made me uncomfortable seeing someones fetish described (the "anthropomorphic" trailer) in detail in an advertisement for a kids movie. It's offputting, like if finding nemo started with Troy McClure explaining how underwater ecosystems work.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

abigserve posted:

I dunno maybe I'm the weird one but it made me uncomfortable seeing someones fetish described (the "anthropomorphic" trailer) in detail in an advertisement for a kids movie. It's offputting, like if finding nemo started with Troy McClure explaining how underwater ecosystems work.

They're not describing a fetish, they're describing a familiar concept that a tiny subset of the population have a fetish for. Which also describes like everything.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I wonder if when 2018 rolls around we're going to be having the same argument about whether or not Gigantic was the work of people with giant(ess) fetishes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

dreezy posted:

are there other animated motion pictures coming out this year? i've forgotten.

The Little Prince is getting its US release in March.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEPqgSNLfK8

• Locked thread