Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

First time playing this and I'm really coming into this blind because most Sony exclusives are just out of sight, out of mind for me until a pc port gets announced. I'm loving it so far. The atmosphere is off the charts, running through fields on horseback never looked so goddamn good. Combat (playing on hard) is fun and quick and brutal when you execute everything perfectly.

I am curious to try legends mode, I tried to matchmake into a game tonight and never got anyone but the friends in my group also picked this up so I think we're going to get in there soon. It sounds great to have an option to just fight stuff if you don't want to play through the story at that moment, that's what kind of drove me to try it out. There are 3 of us though so it sounds like we can't do the story content unless one of us isn't there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Legends on PC appears to just be completely boned at the moment regardless of your setup or anything else. Inviting people to parties (mostly) works fine and you can play with friends all day but any and all matchmaking has been broken since early morning Thursday.

E: Matchmaking seems to be working now? Server issues still seem to be going around but you can find people.

Orv fucked around with this message at 12:14 on May 17, 2024

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

^^ Good to know it's not just abandoned, i'll probably be giving it a try tonight/this weekend with my friends but it'd still be nice to hop in with some randoms. The default voice chat setting is "Always On" so I'm looking forward to that :shepface:

A lot of people on steam seem to be having trouble with the standoffs not working, I found if you hold Y (or presumably triangle) too early it doesn't work, and in this case doing it right as the button prompt appears is too early. I wait a beat or two after the prompt shows up before holding the button and that seems to work every time. People are saying this is a bug but it looks like it's just a timing thing?

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

This looks even better with RTX HDR. It's the first time I've actually tried it at all, and it is very impressive, so much better than the windows auto one. I don't have an OLED TV, just a mid-range QLED one, so the HDR is a bit lacking sometimes and I often switch it off, but this is shockingly good. I'm usually not one to just stop and enjoy the view, but I'm doing a lot of that today. Can't wait to try it with some other games now.
I know that it comes with a performance hit, but it is still maxing out my TV at 120, so happy days. I'd take a bit of a hit if need be though as it is so loving pretty.

I was annoyed with myself that I didn't manage to finish this game before I sold my PS5, so it's a relief that it has arrived in such decent shape. This PC version is just so good looking, it is wild considering it is "just" a fancy-fied PS4 game. I'd love to see what a ground up PC or PS5/PC would look like.

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 14:44 on May 17, 2024

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Legends is fun as hell, played wave defense with the crew tonight. We used to play a lot of mass effect 3 MP and gears horde mode so we picked it up fast. There are 3 of us so I know we can't do the story stuff but I guess there's a raid we can do together? Is that like Destiny style long missions that you have to beat in one go?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Just had a real 'press f to pay respects moment' with a 'press right trigger to honor the dead'

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I was all set to go maximum Japanese but the English cast owns and cutscenes look bad in Japanese.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

explosivo posted:

Legends is fun as hell, played wave defense with the crew tonight. We used to play a lot of mass effect 3 MP and gears horde mode so we picked it up fast. There are 3 of us so I know we can't do the story stuff but I guess there's a raid we can do together? Is that like Destiny style long missions that you have to beat in one go?

I don't recall if there are checkpoints, I think there are but not sure. The raid is divided into 3 chapters. Chapter one is pretty chill and takes like 1-2 hours, chapter 2 like 2-4 hours and chapter 3 is like 30-90mins. These are old times though and it may be much faster now.

Chapter 2 is the real check on everyone in the squad and its helpful to bring 3 separate classes at least. 1 of each class is preferable but not required. You can double up on one if you want but something to keep in mind when deciding what character to push levels through. Some items are usable by more than one class but your overall gear level will suffer if you're a big alt guy.

Co op is a significantly faster way to level up but and easily groupable through mm. You can get 5 drops in like 15-30 mins which is way faster than rolling waves, although not as fun.

Iirc items to look out for are forbidden medicine, water katanas, sticky bombs, kunai with cooldown on kill and massive, skipping stone bow. You generally want to keep an eye on massively stacking something like stagger or stealth for assassin or straight cool down reduction. You'll want a good ilevel and some drops that kinda work together for the raid but you can get through with just some jank.

Chests and rewards in the raid drop higher gear than most other activities iirc but I'm not sure what the endgame itemization is like these days.

Ps: save all of your matts until your touching like 105+ gear. It's expensive.
can
E: it's also the type of thing you can do blind and get through. It's a great experience

e2: before like 95/100 I would just focus on equipping the highest level gear you can.

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 14:20 on May 18, 2024

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I have very fond memories of being the archer class, having the skipping stone bow that distributes headshots and taking out like 5-6 oni at once with awesome placed shots. Legends mode is real fun, but is a bit of an iLVL grind.

IIRC the best way to level up was to focus on one class to 100 or 105, whatever the max without having to spend materials to upgrade iLVL is. Then you can do the higher difficulties and fill in other pieces of gear and fast forward the leveling process for the other three classes. Getting specific rolls for effects on items is the meta, which takes lots of resources to reroll.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
My favorite build was Samurai who essentially had infinite healing from its class ability and I also had increased parry window and the katana that had 3x counterattack from perfect parry.

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010

Pwnstar posted:

I was all set to go maximum Japanese but the English cast owns and cutscenes look bad in Japanese.

It was too weird watching a samurai flick dubbed from the opposite direction.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I think it ultimately got a bit of a nerf but healer/Ronin is incredible. It’s less healer and more oops all explosions and bombs and fire everywhere.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the JP lipsync only fails on the pre-rendered cutscenes, of which there are only a few. for everything else the mouth movements are a bit stiff but they still match what's being said

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The co-op story missions in legends are fun, I wish those allowed more than 2 players :smith:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

For some reason after installing the Nvidia app yesterday (even though I have no filters turned on) gsync/vsync no longer work with the game. I have zero clue if installing the app is actually related (no idea why it would be), but that's the only difference I can think of that made things stop working.

I already had it set to use vsync via the Nvidia Control Panel. And if I turn off Framegen in-game (to use the game Vsync option), for some bizarre reason it starts running at 60fps instead of 120 (and it's not on the full option, not the half one). The game detects my display as being 120hz, though!

This is very confusing.

edit: It seems like it's straight-up ignoring what I'm doing in Nvidia Control Panel, since I tried setting max fps to 120 and it didn't do anything (it's still uncapped in-game).

edit2: I got things working again, but I have no idea how. It just suddenly decided to work again.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 18, 2024

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I think it ultimately got a bit of a nerf but healer/Ronin is incredible. It’s less healer and more oops all explosions and bombs and fire everywhere.

I think I know what your referring to, when I was playing at Legends launch there was some sort of like black powder bomb that would spawn ammo and you would stack like + resolve for ranged damage or explosive or something and you would throw like 3-5 bombs, poop out 2 to pick up from the weapon perk and than have super right away

you could also stack into like +fire damage which is great for clearing all the non elites out of waves to let the assassins go to work

E: my original group was 3 and we would just rotate through and let whoever odd man out was do MM.

I don't recall if there's a goon discord for this so here - https://discord.gg/Jy2N4C9F

can LFG / org raids maybe

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 18, 2024

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think the biggest difference between Hard and Normal is that it seems to really tighten the timing on perfect parries. I remember getting those constantly and easily when I first played this, but now it's pretty tricky and I still haven't been able to pinpoint exactly when I need to hit the button.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Waroduce posted:

I think I know what your referring to, when I was playing at Legends launch there was some sort of like black powder bomb that would spawn ammo and you would stack like + resolve for ranged damage or explosive or something and you would throw like 3-5 bombs, poop out 2 to pick up from the weapon perk and than have super right away

you could also stack into like +fire damage which is great for clearing all the non elites out of waves to let the assassins go to work

E: my original group was 3 and we would just rotate through and let whoever odd man out was do MM.

I don't recall if there's a goon discord for this so here - https://discord.gg/Jy2N4C9F

can LFG / org raids maybe

My ronin build is still unchanged and focuses on building resolve from damage taken. I basically get super from almost dying, pop it to revive heal everyone, then repeat the loop. As long as I’m careful it’s functionally immortal because of how frequently you can pop super.

The black powder bomb nerf means I don’t have as much utility and crowd damage but ronin still does good on duels against the demons.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Oxxidation posted:

the JP lipsync only fails on the pre-rendered cutscenes, of which there are only a few. for everything else the mouth movements are a bit stiff but they still match what's being said

I've been playing it in japanese and really enjoying it, it's a bit of a bummer to miss out on the incidental dialogue of the random npcs/peasants though.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'd it even possible to assemble coherent haiku in this? It's almost never the case that I can make all three verses make sense. If I get lucky and the first two do, all three of the final options will be complete non-sequitors.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I will never know, because that is something I mash buttons to get through as quickly as possible regardless of the outcome, so I can get back to the more enjoyable activity of killing people :f5h:

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I'm going into this blind, is there anything I should know? is there DLC I should play early or something?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

toggle posted:

I'm going into this blind, is there anything I should know? is there DLC I should play early or something?

https://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Ghost_of_Tsushima

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Thank you!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

"The more you use stealth/Ghost attacks, the more storms you'll get."

The heck, I didn't know this

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Been playing the PC port, drat this game is great.

Yeah it looks awesome, especially the Golden Forest holy poo poo that place. The combat really doesn't gently caress around I've died a bunch of times so far, also bears are really scary in this drat.
Good game!

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

"There is a shrine SE of the "Archer's Rise" area name on your map called "Arrow Peak". If you complete this shrine you will get a charm that essentially doubles the resources you pick up, saving a lot of time."
Huge.

IIRC one of the Taka missions at the beginning takes you right next to that shrine, so there's really no reason not to grab it.

giZm fucked around with this message at 06:16 on May 19, 2024

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Bowing to a bunch of signs is a trophy, if you care about that.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
ahhh I was gonna ask what those were about, so far I've found two that (prob not even a spoiler but...) make a bunch of fish jump, and one in a graveyard that made a swarm of fireflies surround me for a bit. Is that really all there is to those?

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

ahhh I was gonna ask what those were about, so far I've found two that (prob not even a spoiler but...) make a bunch of fish jump, and one in a graveyard that made a swarm of fireflies surround me for a bit. Is that really all there is to those?
Yeah pretty much. You can also bow to corpses of peasants if you want Jin to be extra honourable.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Ah okay, I'd kinda assumed as much, given how clear the game's been about everything else.

Had my first real noticeable bug, finished the "Hammer & Forge" quest and got a cutscene with Uncle and Khutai(?) with no subtitles. Luckily everything's on youtube already anyway.

Ytlaya posted:

"The more you use stealth/Ghost attacks, the more storms you'll get."

The heck, I didn't know this

:aaa: that's rad

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

IMO it's silly that Ghost attacks get you "dishonor rep." How is throwing a kunai into a guy different from shooting him with an arrow!?

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Ytlaya posted:

IMO it's silly that Ghost attacks get you "dishonor rep." How is throwing a kunai into a guy different from shooting him with an arrow!?
If we want to get all "uhm ackchually" about it it's because the Kunai is a hidden weapon, while the bow is clearly visible and out in the open. Honour and all that jazz, you know how those samurai are.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Bears are brutal. Game owns

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

I'm always caught between the choice to do a stand off because they're badass, or sneak around like a ninja gutting Mongols because it gets poo poo done.

I am still getting the stand off bug, or whatever it is, where it doesn't seem to register my button press and hold at all. I toggle the accessibility setting on and off and eventually it works, but kinda sucks to never know if it's going to work or not. Any clear fix for that yet?

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Me, a fool: Surely it is more honorable to sacrifice your honor in order to save lives, than to sit idly by and retain it.
A Samurai: lmao

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Oh yea I'm getting that standoff bug too, I'm just hoping for a hotfix soon. Right now it's just the price of glory :shrug:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Pwnstar posted:

Me, a fool: Surely it is more honorable to sacrifice your honor in order to save lives, than to sit idly by and retain it.
A Samurai: lmao

the wise man bowed his head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between honor & dishonor. you imbecile. you loving moron"

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I thought the standoff bug people were talking about were just because of pressing the button too early. I feel like it happened to me once or twice very early on but have been waiting until after the prompt appears for a second before holding the button and I haven't had it not work since that. The thing that gets me is I can never be sure if the group I'm approaching will be standoff-able, like frequently I'll approach a new group of enemies at a camp or something expecting to get the standoff prompt but instead they all just spot me and run at me and start fighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Is the game like dishonored with a hidden morality system that changes the ending/environment?