Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

bowser posted:

The Little Prince is getting its US release in March.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEPqgSNLfK8

This looks like a really cute movie that's gonna be bogged down by a kind of annoying "overbearing parent" story. I already really don't like any of the bits with the mom. I'd rather just what looks like a cute story with the kid and the old man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Sleeveless posted:

I wonder if when 2018 rolls around we're going to be having the same argument about whether or not Gigantic was the work of people with giant(ess) fetishes.

That question already came up when Monsters vs Aliens was released.

Also that movie needs a sequel, the premise did not deliver since there was only, like, one alien.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Wasn't it more like Monsters vs Prejudice?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Waffleman_ posted:

Wasn't it more like Monsters vs Prejudice?

You're thinking of webcomics.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Macaluso posted:

This looks like a really cute movie that's gonna be bogged down by a kind of annoying "overbearing parent" story. I already really don't like any of the bits with the mom. I'd rather just what looks like a cute story with the kid and the old man

The movie is about the joy of being a child. Without the mom, it couldn't contrast childhood and adulthood very effectively. The story of the old man and the kid is good, but it would be substantially worse without the story of the kid and the mom.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Wittgen posted:

The movie is about the joy of being a child. Without the mom, it couldn't contrast childhood and adulthood very effectively. The story of the old man and the kid is good, but it would be substantially worse without the story of the kid and the mom.

I guess I just don't relate at all to a situation where the mom is so desperate for their kid to be an adult. I've honestly never met a mom like that. I feel like there's a better way to go about that story

edit: The stuff where the kid has like, a rigid schedule to follow isn't that weird, but I guess the part that really stuck out to me was the "you're gonna make a great adult" line which I couldn't really suspend my disbelief for

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jan 4, 2016

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Sleeveless posted:

I wonder if when 2018 rolls around we're going to be having the same argument about whether or not Gigantic was the work of people with giant(ess) fetishes.

well it is

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I can't wait for the adaptation of Roald Dahl's classic, the Big Fetish Giant.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Waffleman_ posted:

I can't wait for the adaptation of Roald Dahl's classic, the Big Fetish Giant.

It's Disney, so they'll probably tie it into Star Wars. The Big Fett-ish Giant.

"Was that a humongous Boba Fett?"
"Eh...kinda?"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's more subtle than Disney, who put seven dwarves in his very first full length feature, the creep

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Macaluso posted:

I guess I just don't relate at all to a situation where the mom is so desperate for their kid to be an adult. I've honestly never met a mom like that. I feel like there's a better way to go about that story

edit: The stuff where the kid has like, a rigid schedule to follow isn't that weird, but I guess the part that really stuck out to me was the "you're gonna make a great adult" line which I couldn't really suspend my disbelief for

I suppose it's a bit of an odd line, but you've never run into parents who are doing whatever it takes to make sure their kids get into the right kindergarten so they'll get into the right grade school so they'll get into the right middle school so they'll get into the right etc.? That's what's happening in the movie. The scheduling is all the mom's way of making sure her daughter can get into and then succeed at a certain school.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Wittgen posted:

I suppose it's a bit of an odd line, but you've never run into parents who are doing whatever it takes to make sure their kids get into the right kindergarten so they'll get into the right grade school so they'll get into the right middle school so they'll get into the right etc.? That's what's happening in the movie. The scheduling is all the mom's way of making sure her daughter can get into and then succeed at a certain school.

As a kid, I knew a girl that lived across the street from me who was scheduled to hell and back with a lot of extracurricular activities including Girl Scouts, Gymnastics and Piano because it'd all look good on an application to Ivy League schools, with only Wednesday being her free day to play.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Macaluso posted:

You're probably gonna be disappointed, because the neat stylized portion is like 10% of the movie and the rest is the lovely generic CG style "overbearing parent" story. Kind of like a less ugly The Book of Life. It's really more like fanfiction based on The Little Prince but I have a feeling that it'll get praise solely because it's a kids' movie where characters die.

raditts fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jan 4, 2016

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

raditts posted:

You're probably gonna be disappointed, because the neat stylized portion is like 10% of the movie and the rest is the lovely generic CG style "overbearing parent" story. Kind of like a less ugly The Book of Life. It's really more like fanfiction based on The Little Prince but I have a feeling that it'll get praise solely because it's a kids' movie where characters die.

I liked it for being so... I don't know, weird? Fantastical is probably a better term. The frame story was decent, but not as interesting as the Prince stop motion sequences.

As far as the overbearing mother thing goes, I feel like it's handled about as well as it could be. It's not the most exciting or innovative story, but I think it's worth checking out for sure. The stop motion stuff is worth it despite being relatively minimal.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Geomancing posted:

The thing that got me about Rango was the realistic kind of teeth everyone had. I couldn't stop looking at them because if they had been in a human, they'd be fine, but since everyone was designed with wide, expressive mouths and lips, they had SO MANY TEETH.

Now if we're talking upcoming movies with offputting character design, I'm still pointing straight at the Sly Cooper movie. Seriously, the games had a very distinctive, cartoony style to them, and they decided to go with a photorealistic raccoon head put on a human body. And Bentley, poor Bentley, what did they do to you? Murray as well.

I don't think there's ever been a good videogame movie (besides Mortal Kombat ofc) so each new one is just a study in the new and unique ways they screwed it up. Isn't there another animated videogame raccoon movie coming out this year as well? Ratchet?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Street Fighter with JCVD is legit good and I will fight you over it.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

turtlecrunch posted:

I don't think there's ever been a good videogame movie (besides Mortal Kombat ofc) so each new one is just a study in the new and unique ways they screwed it up. Isn't there another animated videogame raccoon movie coming out this year as well? Ratchet?

Same studio. They have some sort of deal with Sony.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

e: I'm an idiot.

stev fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 4, 2016

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

redcheval posted:

I liked it for being so... I don't know, weird? Fantastical is probably a better term. The frame story was decent, but not as interesting as the Prince stop motion sequences.

As far as the overbearing mother thing goes, I feel like it's handled about as well as it could be. It's not the most exciting or innovative story, but I think it's worth checking out for sure. The stop motion stuff is worth it despite being relatively minimal.

I think what I hated most about it is that it strips so much from the original story that it's almost meaningless. You're presumably supposed to be sad at the part in the story where the prince dies, but the story is stripped down to the point where you're just like "what the gently caress is wrong with this kid, why is he killing himself?" And then again about the aviator dying, but he doesn't really do a lot either besides being a bumbling rear end in a top hat that almost kills the girl twice.

I disagree about the part where they couldn't do the entire story without the framing part (or at least, with a lot less of it), because Kaguya is pretty much the Japanese thematic equivalent of the Little Prince and was great without any need to dumb poo poo down for audiences.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Somehow I went through life mostly unfamiliar with the actual original story, so admittedly I don't have that to compare it to :( I think your criticisms are valid though. I need to read the story!

I absolutely LOVED Ratchet and Clank, but the movie feels a little bit, eh, ten years too late? I'm still gonna grab the remake of the game though so whatever, haha. A Sly Cooper movie makes even less sense to me at this point, I never got into those but I always felt like Ratchet and Jak and Daxter were the more popular games.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

redcheval posted:

I absolutely LOVED Ratchet and Clank, but the movie feels a little bit, eh, ten years too late? I'm still gonna grab the remake of the game though so whatever, haha. A Sly Cooper movie makes even less sense to me at this point, I never got into those but I always felt like Ratchet and Jak and Daxter were the more popular games.

They were more popular, but that didn't mean the Sly games were any worse. I honestly think Sly 2 is one of the best PS2 games ever made, and the first and third are just as good as any given Jak or Ratchet game. (haven't played the fourth, I should get around to that)

But yeah, the timing is kinda off for both movies, and I'm honestly not sure what these movies could do that wasn't already done in the games, particularly with Ratchet and Clank. Like, if things go well with Sly Cooper, it could be a fun, cool, kid friendly Ocean's Eleven, but R&C is just gonna be another hero's journey translated beat for beat from the game. There are thousands of movies just like that already out there, so outside of it's franchise appeal that leaves it without much to offer.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

turtlecrunch posted:

I think you'll find that Ratchet is a lombax, not a raccoon :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Hey I made a new thread so stop posting in this ratty old 2015 thing
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3758813