Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Tried to spin up a new game but it turns out a bug in the latest AMD GPU driver makes it crash after the opening cinematic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Tried to spin up a new game but it turns out a bug in the latest AMD GPU driver makes it crash after the opening cinematic.

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/46585

Try using this mod as an unorthodox fix

E: Assuming the problem is with the intro video itself.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Back Hack posted:

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/46585

Try using this mod as an unorthodox fix

E: Assuming the problem is with the intro video itself.

Nah, the issue here is that the AMD DX9 shader compiler crashes when trying to launch F3 or FNV on any driver newer than 24.1.1, you have to follow the New Vegas Performance Guide to fix it. It has a whole section on what you need to do to make the game work with AMD by using DXVK.

Honestly everyone should be running the game through DXVK now anyway.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/FalloutFanArt/status/1790778775711383802?t=g3SGTjKY90M5TAZ1TUqKqQ&s=19

I like V.A.T.S. Boy.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Lmao

https://youtu.be/kLYaz9q4woE?si=3OwTgg0mFz7rSywN

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

rope kid posted:

I remember when we implemented Greased Lightning one of the animators kind of made a frowny face and said, "That just looks silly," and I said, "Hell yeah!!!!"

Game directors will look at this and literally go "Hell yeah"

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Holy poo poo yeah that vats costume rules

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s05SoCzb5Sw

Brings a new meaning to the name Mr Holdout.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Arc Hammer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s05SoCzb5Sw

Brings a new meaning to the name Mr Holdout.

I mean, he ain't called Mr. Pullout

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

Game is amazing I've finished Lonesome Road and can now give my opinion that overall the DLC is mid. Makes sense given how great the base game is itself.

I've decided Lonesome Road would be really good side story for a Farcry game but FO:NV its really out of place, there are only two other characters and no ethical decisions to make and its basically running down a liner hallway shooting at things with Ulysses saying hey "your video game protagonist doing things with out thinking of the consequences".

side_burned fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 16, 2024

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
A guy on twitter has been drawing NCR versions of political cartoons and quite frankly they rule

https://x.com/kronos_co/status/1790913671163687378?s=46

https://x.com/kronos_co/status/1790913866811224246?s=46

https://x.com/kronos_co/status/1791203667481440269?s=46

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I don't think the Shi are still around by NV time

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's a lot of ideas in Lonesome Road that don't really connect. You got this place full of unexploded warheads that you get a laser to blow up, except the backstory to the area is that it already blew up big time. You've got a weird new type of ghoul for some reason, you have some mutant supermoles that maybe they'll destroy the whole wasteland, but after you're done with them they don't really matter again. You've got some kind of lost community in the divide that was supposedly unique, but I don't really remember any details about that getting explained, you just gotta take somebody's word for it. You've got Ulysses who is a whole loving mess and has been stalking through all the other DLCs, but Lonesome Road is kind of the easiest DLC to visit first. He's trying to make a big weird point against your history as a package deliveryman, but that's another thing that you're told rather than actually shown (there are no delivery missions ingame, which could've been a nice thing if there were some put in).

The most coherent dynamic is the idea of cultivating a little friendship with your robot buddy who you need to decide to sacrifice to stop some nukes, but it's not that strong of a story.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They probably are but maybe not so independent of the rest of California after some sneering imperialism.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I like Lonesome Road as a shooting gallery for when my character is too strong to get challenged by anything in the Mojave. I've replayed New Vegas many times and hearing a piece of dialogue for the 5th time isn't interesting, but blowing up a Deathclaw is always fun.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

I figured all the ethnic Chinese NCR characters implied they probably got integrated into the NCR at some point, though I don’t think think San Fran is ever actually mentioned

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Guy like James Hsu probably has Shi heritage.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Oh man these rule, I hope they do more!

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

SlothfulCobra posted:

There's a lot of ideas in Lonesome Road that don't really connect. You got this place full of unexploded warheads that you get a laser to blow up, except the backstory to the area is that it already blew up big time. You've got a weird new type of ghoul for some reason, you have some mutant supermoles that maybe they'll destroy the whole wasteland, but after you're done with them they don't really matter again. You've got some kind of lost community in the divide that was supposedly unique, but I don't really remember any details about that getting explained, you just gotta take somebody's word for it. You've got Ulysses who is a whole loving mess and has been stalking through all the other DLCs, but Lonesome Road is kind of the easiest DLC to visit first. He's trying to make a big weird point against your history as a package deliveryman, but that's another thing that you're told rather than actually shown (there are no delivery missions ingame, which could've been a nice thing if there were some put in).

The most coherent dynamic is the idea of cultivating a little friendship with your robot buddy who you need to decide to sacrifice to stop some nukes, but it's not that strong of a story.

I always thought it was weird that there's literally no evidence whatsoever of a post-war settlement in the Divide - all the ruins and terminal entries are pre-war. It would have solved a lot of the narrative problems with Lonesome Road if there'd been side-stories you could discover, like the Survivalist in Honest Hearts, that would let you learn about this lost settlement and why Ulysses is so horrified by its destruction. As it is, it feels like Ulysses is completely delusional and has come to believe in a Shangri-La that never really existed - which could have been a cool twist, but doesn't seem to be the intended reading.

And New Vegas is really the worst game to try and pull a Spec-Ops: The Line style deconstruction of the video game protagonist who just mindlessly follows directions and never considers the consequences.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

For reference I asked in the politoon thread and these are retraced/copied comics by Bill Mauldin with, in classic politoon form, a bunch of unnecessary labels added.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Does anyone know if Trigger Discipline actually improves the accuracy of shotguns? The wiki implies that it doesn't, but it's vague.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think that it should if you're using slug rounds.

EDIT

Huh this is the first time I'm hearing about it but you can apparently cheese some equipment into Dead Money if they're tagged as Quest Items?

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 15:11 on May 17, 2024

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Arc Hammer posted:

I think that it should if you're using slug rounds.

EDIT

Huh this is the first time I'm hearing about it but you can apparently cheese some equipment into Dead Money if they're tagged as Quest Items?

You can start the guard quest at the Silver Rush and walk away with the gear, and if you hold back on turning Rawr's claw into a weapon, the Misc item will stay with you and you'll be able to turn it into its special Deathclaw Gauntlet at a crafting bench in Dead Money. The somewhat not useful breather from the Boomers questline will also go with you.

Then again, you quickly find Royce's sneaking suit and you won't have any/much ammo for the Plasma Rifle.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

Angry Salami posted:

As it is, it feels like Ulysses is completely delusional and has come to believe in a Shangri-La that never really existed - which could have been a cool twist, but doesn't seem to be the intended reading.

That's the only way I can ready Ulysses, that he's completely delusional and just rambling on about stuff that's in his head instead of real-world events.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Angry Salami posted:

As it is, it feels like Ulysses is completely delusional and has come to believe in a Shangri-La that never really existed - which could have been a cool twist, but doesn't seem to be the intended reading.

Either Ulysses is right and your otherwise blank slate character inadvertently destroyed a whole thriving community or Ulysses is just a wrong / crazy hobo and the whole situation is a farce. Either way I think it's really stupid. Easily my least favorite dlc.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

That's the only way I can ready Ulysses, that he's completely delusional and just rambling on about stuff that's in his head instead of real-world events.

was Ulysses intended to be taken seriously? my main thought when dealing with him is always, "I can't wait to get at this clown and kill him and take all his stuff"

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

wizard2 posted:

was Ulysses intended to be taken seriously? my main thought when dealing with him is always, "I can't wait to get at this clown and kill him and take all his stuff"

You've been given three previous DLC's worth of build up just for this guy. Somehow I don't think you were supposed to come away thinking he was a wacky clown.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

Yeah, I think they really flopped the execution on him - he's built up like he's supposed to be cool and spark some kind of deep thinking, but at least to me he comes off as a delusional lunatic who's got his hands on nukes and needs to be stopped. He doesn't come off as cool, and all of the philosophy is really just 'this crazy guy wants to blow poo poo up'.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Janissary Hop posted:

You've been given three previous DLC's worth of build up just for this guy. Somehow I don't think you were supposed to come away thinking he was a wacky clown.

Yeah. my issue with the New Vegas DLC's if I chain em starting with Old World Blues is that I never REALLY know what Im supposed to be feeling, lots of tonal all-over-the-place going on, and I just roll with the gameplay missions and the sick payouts and upgrades.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

wizard2 posted:

Yeah. my issue with the New Vegas DLC's if I chain em starting with Old World Blues is that I never REALLY know what Im supposed to be feeling, lots of tonal all-over-the-place going on, and I just roll with the gameplay missions and the sick payouts and upgrades.

Old World Blues is the really the only one that sticks out. The others are varying tones of serious.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The balance in lonesome road is so hosed up I did as much as I could in the main game (almost like it came out before the dlc!) so after being a god you get to lr and those tunnnelers are just insanely lovely.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

DamnGlitch posted:

The balance in lonesome road is so hosed up I did as much as I could in the main game (almost like it came out before the dlc!) so after being a god you get to lr and those tunnnelers are just insanely lovely.

Bring the Sonic Emitter with Opera Singer loaded on it, they have a hard time dealing all the broken limbs.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

DamnGlitch posted:

This is why Logan's loophole is so good

It keeps the bullshit encounters in the dlc tolerable

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Huh poo poo I didn't realize that "Deadeye" Ricky from Honest Hearts was voiced by Scott McNeil.

They really just got any voice actor they could into the recording booth didn't they? The voice cast is absolutely stacked.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 05:54 on May 19, 2024

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I always forget Elijah was the old cult guy from Get Out, then I hear him speak and laugh

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Elijah is Mr Wilhelm from Seinfeld and that's it.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Janissary Hop posted:

Either Ulysses is right and your otherwise blank slate character inadvertently destroyed a whole thriving community or Ulysses is just a wrong / crazy hobo and the whole situation is a farce. Either way I think it's really stupid. Easily my least favorite dlc.

I don’t think it’s really that difficult to see how someone that watched his home get destroyed time and time and time again to just have his mind kind of snap in half, while desperately trying to make sense of why it keeps happening.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
he's a crazy hobo with gear for my build 👀

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
I respect No Bark

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

As everyone should