Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Aramek posted:

I think seagulls are cute and I wanna pet one.

You can! They're very easy to pick up, and once you do, they're your friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

Gripweed posted:

You can! They're very easy to pick up, and once you do, they're your friend.

I've picked up Tom turkeys like a football because they're dumb as hell and approach you.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
It sucks that Secret Service guys just wear black suits. They should have some kind of fancy uniform. Some kind of colorful coat with coins worked into it somehow because the SS started as an anti-counterfeiting ring.

And they should have some kind of special weapon, like a halberd with a deagle built into the blade.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
"The Secret Service" is a very funny name for something that exists outside of a comic book or pulp fiction serial.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
The job of the secret service is to stand in highly public places right next to people who are getting photographed and filmed a lot. It's dumb as hell for a name.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

The job of the secret service is to stand in highly public places right next to people who are getting photographed and filmed a lot. It's dumb as hell for a name.

To be fair, they were named that when they were a US Treasury task force.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

They spend a ton of time with the president outside of the public eye too. My dad's cousin was in the Secret Service during the Reagan and Bush Sr. administrations. Apparently with Bush the public events were practically a vacation for them because he was legendary for pranking the secret service when there was no media around.

Apparently the worst was whenever he went to his vacation home, because as soon as they pulled on to the property he'd make a mad dash for his boat and lead them on a low-speed chase around the lake cackling like a loon the whole time.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I could never be a secret service agent because I know they kill you when you're too old instead of letting you retire, because of secret nature of the service.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Churches should be taxed

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
H Jon Benjamin should play Commissioner Gordon in the next Batman movie.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Gripweed posted:

this would be great, especially with the idea of Danny McBride as the Riddler that I've heard floated. He has the perfect cadence for lines like - Riddle me THAT Batman.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."
Not sure about Riddler, but McBride would make an amazing Professor Pyg.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Modal Auxiliary posted:

They spend a ton of time with the president outside of the public eye too. My dad's cousin was in the Secret Service during the Reagan and Bush Sr. administrations. Apparently with Bush the public events were practically a vacation for them because he was legendary for pranking the secret service when there was no media around.

Apparently the worst was whenever he went to his vacation home, because as soon as they pulled on to the property he'd make a mad dash for his boat and lead them on a low-speed chase around the lake cackling like a loon the whole time.

I'd say Bush's worst prank on the secret service was when he shot Kennedy

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Only if he plays him exactly like coach McGuirk

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Gripweed posted:

It sucks that Secret Service guys just wear black suits. They should have some kind of fancy uniform. Some kind of colorful coat with coins worked into it somehow because the SS started as an anti-counterfeiting ring.

And they should have some kind of special weapon, like a halberd with a deagle built into the blade.

I feel there's a pitch for a lovely '90's comic with a team of guys who LOOK like the dudes on US money either pulling some counterfeit shenanigans or fighting the people pulling the shenanigans.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Playing pickleball for fun recreation is fine. But to start treating it seriously like a legitimate sport, such as speed running video games, is something I just can’t abide

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Its up there with serious kickball leagues in the “you’re missing the point” sports categories for me.

Other sports that should only be played for silly recreation and not seriously include:

Darts
Wiffle ball
Tether ball
Soccer

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Muscle Tracer posted:

Dune is one of those things where the first book is excellent, and pretty much everything beyond that gets worse and worse. I liked the new movie and am looking forward to the sequel but the rest of it seems like a recipe for madness.

Dune is great at what it does, but if you're the kind of reader who doesn't give a poo poo about a million proper nouns that you just know the author has pages and pages of notes on, it's torture.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Dune is very good but most of what’s good about it has been done better in Warhammer 40,000

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Also 40K is a game which is fun and cool.
Dune is a book, which all feel like work to interact with.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I first heard of pickleball a few months ago and frankly don't believe it's a real thing. I think you're all just trolling me.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I’ve been reading the 40k lore thread in GBS and I gotta say, I’ll never play the actual game but there’s a non-zero chance I’ll get high and wind up buying one of the ork books some day. There’s just something fun and strangely adorable about violent psychic mushroom people that love nothing but fighting and talking funny.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Orks being a bio weapon that grows from spores and has psychic powers is a delightful way to explain their silliness.

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024

docbeard posted:

I first heard of pickleball a few months ago and frankly don't believe it's a real thing. I think you're all just trolling me.

I played pickleball in PE in the 90s, it's hardly new

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Robobot posted:

There’s just something fun and strangely adorable about violent psychic mushroom people that love nothing but fighting and talking funny.

I'm glad you find find our Australian culture so loving amusing.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
"Marathon" is a really hosed up name for distance running competitions. The guy in the original story crosses the finish line and instantly dies. Why would anybody want to participate in that?

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Nameless Pete posted:

"Marathon" is a really hosed up name for distance running competitions. The guy in the original story crosses the finish line and instantly dies. Why would anybody want to participate in that?

To prove that you're harder than that ancient piece of poo poo. gently caress you, stuff of legend

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

To prove that you're harder than that ancient piece of poo poo. gently caress you, stuff of legend

Yeah, tens of thousands of people run marathons every year. Elderly people, children, people who just beat cancer, women, and it's incredibly rare for any of them to die from it. That Greek guy must've had a pussy heart or something.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

It was clogged with Greece.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Gripweed posted:

Yeah, tens of thousands of people run marathons every year. Elderly people, children, people who just beat cancer, women, and it's incredibly rare for any of them to die from it. That Greek guy must've had a pussy heart or something.

Comparing women to the elderly and children in terms of physical ability is very offensive, just FYI.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The guy in the story was an Athenian soldier with the army fighting the Persians at Marathon. He had been running messages on the battlefield and fighting in homoerotic combat all day in full armor, and then took off to report their victory to Athens.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I'm not saying I want to pit the olds and the survivors against each other in phalanx combat before they run a marathon, but for accuracy's sake...

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Just keep em running until they drop like that King story.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Gaius Marius posted:

Just keep em running until they drop like that King story.

The Long Run?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Sure, I've never read it so why not.

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024
Chicken Run, I think

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
To be fair to Pheidippides, the version of the origin of the marathon I've heard has marathon-athens as just the final stretch. He had previously carried a message to Sparta and back, a distance six times that of Marathon-Athens, for a total of seven modern marathons.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Phosphine posted:

To be fair to Pheidippides, the version of the origin of the marathon I've heard has marathon-athens as just the final stretch. He had previously carried a message to Sparta and back, a distance six times that of Marathon-Athens, for a total of seven modern marathons.

Piss weak. Cliff Young did 875kms in an Australian ultramarathon at age 61 in gumboots. He didn't realise you could stop to sleep so he ran continuously for five days, eventually finishing first by 10 hours.

loving euro-wankers.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Elissimpark posted:

Piss weak. Cliff Young did 875kms in an Australian ultramarathon at age 61 in gumboots. He didn't realise you could stop to sleep so he ran continuously for five days, eventually finishing first by 10 hours.

loving euro-wankers.

This sounds impressive, but how many gumboots are in a mile? This metric stuff always throws me off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
The military should let each troop decide what kind of camo to wear. They should be able to unlock more camo styles by accomplishing specific achievements in their military career.