Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

The Hotone Ampero Mini modeler is supposed to be the hot cheap poo poo right now.

Ho Tone Poo-1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I'm worried about some of these digital packages having ongoing software support. I'm all in on the pedals and what not.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

This gets good reviews, tiny and pretty complete if you have simple needs.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/tonexone/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Amp capture seems like a dead end tech to me. As far as I can tell, having not used one, they take a snapshot of an amp with specific settings and there's a very limited ability to tweak those parameters after the fact. I'm also a bit skeeved out that they all seem to have storefronts where you can buy amp models which feels like it's creeping up on Pedals As A Service territory.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

It serves a specific purpose not described in your post: you have a specific sound you want to travel with and need it to be consistent, portable and inexpensive where the captured sound’s rig is not. There are enough people in this category that this product exists. You CAN also use it to collect a bunch of captures but I don’t think that’s really the point. The tweakability offered is mostly to dial it in from place to place.

Also pedals as a service exists in Amphub. It’s fine.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Line 6 has amps as a service where you buy their hardware and then they keep delivering new amps and pedals for free. Seriously, the value proposition for something like the HX Stomp is crazy, even if I find using it annoying.

I’m not into captures either - they’d be someone else’s captures and who knows if they’d sound good on my weird gear. I can imagine a scenario where I had a bunch of sick stuff I wanted to take on the road but that’s certainly not my reality right now.

Modeling where I can adjust each component realistically and pretend I have all these great amps is more appealing to me.

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 13:19 on May 16, 2024

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
If you can figure out how to use a JCM900 and/or a Hot Rod deluxe to make a sound you like you will never have to take an amp on tour. The down side is you will sound Just Fine Nothing Wrong With It It's Perfectly OK.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The interesting thing to me is that amp modelling in ethos goes beyond just having “a good sound” and is also becoming a means of digital preservation as old amps fade out of manufacture. People request the most random poo poo of the devs on the line 6 boards that probably isnt super essential when you assume that between the 100 or so models on there there should be no real need for another Marshall. But then the devs try to model the amp “warts and all” as they claim.

People want a silver jubilee model just because the odds of actually playing one irl are decreasing. Personally I was excited when they added a VH4 because that sounded great on the Tool records but I've never seen one in person - I played it for 5 minutes and realised I hated it but its interesting to discover. Theres a Laney VH100 in amphub I like a lot just because it reminds me of the one I used to gig with.

The new original models in the helix use a lot less processing power and the devs claim that’s because not being based off anything gives more freedom vs accurately trying to capture a real amp and all its quirks.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 13:17 on May 16, 2024

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I know there’s some Dumble-ish amps on the Helix platform, but I wonder if Line 6 will ever get their hands on an actual Overdrive Special to model

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I wonder if the line6 devs are having to fight some mba dipshit who wants them to add chatgpt somehow

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

om mani padme hum...amps on the blockchain

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

AndrewP posted:

I know there’s some Dumble-ish amps on the Helix platform, but I wonder if Line 6 will ever get their hands on an actual Overdrive Special to model

How do you think they developed insane mode????

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Kingo Ligma posted:

How do you think they developed insane mode????

[video type="youtube"]/watch?feature=shared&fbclid=IwY2xjawCzk6lleHRuA2FlbQIxMQABHVAKLBCBzGYMX7mriF1SKZyXsytqOn4Pld3xdhJlCimuL-DVs4UvZ4n-Iw_aem_AZNyXPqPRKwo27en_qql7NwIDc2HTBgd4sDgsA-MLCiDSiy7RYSfT02rDRJBCMIFOKHXo_Ea4VjB3Jyj7gurbtkD&v=yKK3LjPK9gU[/video]

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
just posting because i bought a vox mv50 boutique and it's been pretty enjoyable

we have a crappy garage band and quite a while ago i found a behringer k900FX at the pawn shop and so my hope is i can run the headphone out from this lil guy into the behringer so-called PA and we can have guitar and mic with just one thing i have to carry

pretty sure at the end of the day 'just one thing i have to carry' is the dream

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Stalizard posted:

just posting because i bought a vox mv50 boutique and it's been pretty enjoyable

we have a crappy garage band and quite a while ago i found a behringer k900FX at the pawn shop and so my hope is i can run the headphone out from this lil guy into the behringer so-called PA and we can have guitar and mic with just one thing i have to carry

pretty sure at the end of the day 'just one thing i have to carry' is the dream

I mean, the answer to this is just to buy an MPC and then you can have literally everything in a box smaller than a blues dad's pedal board

brushwad
Dec 25, 2009
Thanks to the goon who gave me the imgur tip, I (finally) figured it out ...

I finally pulled the trigger on an Eastwood Surfcaster after low-key semi-obsessing over the combination of aesthetics and features on this thing for four years or so, but it has VERY mixed opinions -- either I got a good one, Eastwood sorted poo poo out, or some combination of the two.

It's obviously a Jazzmaster/Danelectro/Rickenbacker mashup, done really well -- made in Korea, chambered mahogany body with a bookmatched flame maple top, cherryburst finish, laminated maple neck with a satin finish, rosewood fretboard with shark inlays, strat-style trem, nice binding and fretwork, and the single-coil lipsticks are out-of-phase, so the middle position turns them into a humbucker -- not sure about the trem, but the tuners are Wilkinson, which I've had good experience with, and the switch and Tele-style knobs seem solid.

I went on a gear purge a while back because I hadn't been able to play due to a shoulder injury, so I also sprung for one of those (in)famous Monoprice 15W amps -- which I gotta say -- I like!

In a few days, once I have time, I'll get the pickguard off to get a better look at the electronics, peel the plastic off, put on my preferred strings, etc. -- but so far, I'm pleased.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Yeah, but this is the Amp Thread, tell us about that little guy there!

Also, :hfive: Eastwood buddy!

brushwad
Dec 25, 2009
lol, this was the thread I must have been browsing once I figured out my image posting issue. It's a 1X12 cabinet with a Celestion speaker, 3 12AX7's in the preamp, 2 EL-84's for power, with a cab out and an effects loop, retails (currently) for $279. it has a 1-Watt attenuator, 3-band EQ, tone control, and spring reverb -- great feature set (for less money) compared to my Vox AC-10.

It seems like a middle-ground amp -- the research I did described it as a mashup of components and features found on AC-15's and Laney Cubs -- it does higher gain than a Vox without hard clipping, from the (little) I've played with it so far. I've read opinions that describe it as a Fender/Vox/early Marshall hybrid, and that doesn't seem too far off-the-mark.

I've got the master tone rolled off, EQ dimed, no reverb, volume at 10 o'clock, and gain at 3 o'clock with the volume wayyy down on my guitar for a Voxy-sounding breakup that can be pushed hard with a little (not much) added volume. (I should probably try more volume/less gain when I can, but that's where I landed tonight.)

My only complaint so far is that it's a little noisy, but I can live with it.

brushwad fucked around with this message at 02:24 on May 20, 2024

brushwad
Dec 25, 2009

After The War posted:

Also, :hfive: Eastwood buddy!

I think a lot of the hate they get is because the things they make scratch VERY specific itches, and when it disappoints, it disappoints big. Also, they're in that weird in-between price point that's not premium and not budget, so I'm guessing the expectations are all over the map. I'm very happy with mine so far.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

brushwad posted:

lol, this was the thread I must have been browsing once I figured out my image posting issue. It's a 1X12 cabinet with a Celestion speaker, 3 12AX7's in the preamp, 2 EL-84's for power, with a cab out and an effects loop, retails (currently) for $279. it has a 1-Watt attenuator, 3-band EQ, tone control, and spring reverb -- great feature set (for less money) compared to my Vox AC-10.

It seems like a middle-ground amp -- the research I did described it as a mashup of components and features found on AC-15's and Laney Cubs -- it does higher gain than a Vox without hard clipping, from the (little) I've played with it so far. I've read opinions that describe it as a Fender/Vox/early Marshall hybrid, and that doesn't seem too far off-the-mark.

I've got the master tone rolled off, EQ dimed, no reverb, volume at 10 o'clock, and gain at 3 o'clock with the volume wayyy down on my guitar for a Voxy-sounding breakup that can be pushed hard with a little (not much) added volume. (I should probably try more volume/less gain when I can, but that's where I landed tonight.)

My only complaint so far is that it's a little noisy, but I can live with it.

Btw the master tone is actually a presence control.

For noise, look into some new tubes. I found the stock no name Chinese tubes to be super microphonic. You can also put the preamp in the loop of a noise suppressor like the boss ns2 using the effects loop.

I also like to get the max amount of clean headroom by diming the master volume and using the gain to control how loud it is.

Armacham fucked around with this message at 02:50 on May 20, 2024

brushwad
Dec 25, 2009

Armacham posted:

Btw the master tone is actually a presence control.

For noise, look into some new tubes. I found the stock no name Chinese tubes to be super microphonic. You can also put the preamp in the loop of a noise suppressor like the boss ns2 using the effects loop.

I also like to get the max amount of clean headroom by diming the master volume and using the gain to control how loud it is.

I've never had an amp with a "presence" knob, so I'm still learning how it interacts in the circuit -- I think for my purposes tonight, just finding a sound I'm happy with -- taking it out of the equation seemed simpler, but I'm eager to explore.

Thanks for the advice, and I may get out the gloves and re-seat with contact cleaner, but I'm hesitant to upgrade tubes again after doing that for my AC-10 without a noticeable difference. But now that'll be in the back of my head when it becomes annoying.

I read that they shipped with JJ tubes at some point -- I haven't looked at mine that closely yet -- guessing that's no longer the case?

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

As far as I've known they come with unbranded made in china tubes. JJs are a common replacement. I actually noticed the biggest difference in the output tubes. A matched pair of jj el84s had less hum and better output. I actually like the preamp tubes except the first one was noisy so I replaced it with a slightly lower gain 5751 to modify the sweep of the gain and volume knobs a bit.

But whatever gets you the sound you are looking for! If you have the chance to play it through a 212, do give it a shot as well. It sounds great!

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

I've always found presence knobs to be directly tied to volume. The louder everything is the darker the sound so add a bit of bite back in. I tend to use British voiced amps so YMMV etc

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I finally did a comparison between helix cali IV and my newish real mesa mark V (on its vi circuit, routed via loadbox into the helix xlr in so both routing into an IR)

I could get a few of the sounds but not all of them. im not sure if lead gain and lead drive are supposed to correlate to the gain and treble knobs on the real amp.

ive previously found the fender style amps to be pretty close to the real deal and I would say this feels less close than that right now

maybe a bit more tweaking would do it, wouldn't be the first time I've seen the models need different knob settings but can still match pretty well if you figure out what's throwing it off

the real amp feels more reliable atm and I'm addicted to it. still using the helix as a front end effects unit, and then another patch to drive an IR for recording the load box, all the audio routing with the DAW. it's still insanely useful unit even not using one of the amp models anymore

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Mesas use high tolerance components so an exact knob placement test may not be accurate. A comparison to the amp or amps they used is more apt. Just shopping for, say, a used Dual Rectifier is basically a crapshoot of whether you’ll get a legend, a serviceable daily driver or a stinker.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I think for all these Helix amps you have to do some dialing in to match the sound. Fortunately for me, I don't have any real amps so I can just pretend they're all perfectly accurate representations!

speaking of the Helix, I always thought the Klon was overhyped and silly, but drat if it's not what I tend to use the most to tighten up an amp. it's a practical little pedal. like a slightly less hairy Tube Screamer.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Yup. If an overly clean amp needs edge of breakup I can either fiddle with it or just put a default settings Klon in front of it. Works in real life, too.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

I wish more pedals had the clean blend that the klon drive knob does. It really helps keep the sparkle and dynamics along with the grit and eq from the pedal.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I did manage to get the helix a lot closer using ear only but not all the way there. I still prefer my real one because it just seems slightly more open and responsive to the dynamics, maybe less compression. There’s a lot going on including not being exact same amps so I don’t exact perfect match. Not would I be eloquent enough to describe it lol
For this I even switched the helix to have separate patches to usb for the onboard model vs the load box so I could play the same thing on both simultaneously. Which is cool because I can use this patch for a di branch too.

Helix still impressive enough tho. The newer models almost never fail to impress me. The front end effects into the real amp are fantastic too

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

AndrewP posted:

I think for all these Helix amps you have to do some dialing in to match the sound. Fortunately for me, I don't have any real amps so I can just pretend they're all perfectly accurate representations!

speaking of the Helix, I always thought the Klon was overhyped and silly, but drat if it's not what I tend to use the most to tighten up an amp. it's a practical little pedal. like a slightly less hairy Tube Screamer.

Hmm might try swapping my usual TS9 in front on boost for a Klon.

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

the trick with modelers is to put a compressor at the front of the signal to emulate tube sag and cab thump

also a subtle cut around 1.2-1.3khz

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Discovering, primarily thanks to modelers, pre and post gain parametric eq was quite a moment for me. Cut the poo poo, boost the flavor.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I’ve got all that going on and off based on ear. As I’ve said I’ve done extensive modeling with other amps as this I my first real tube in years. Usually I throw on eq and room sim reverbs after cab a helix model. Mess around with the microphone sim etc. Since I have both patched into the exact same ir simultaneously anyways so stuff that adds what differences real cab in the room might do is moot for this because neither is plugged into the real cab. The only difference between the patches is one path has the full chain with real amp coming in via xlr into the helix and the other has the same path with the amp being the helix model.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

ethanol posted:

I’ve got all that going on and off based on ear. As I’ve said I’ve done extensive modeling with other amps as this I my first real tube in years. Usually I throw on eq and room sim reverbs after cab a helix model. Mess around with the microphone sim etc. Since I have both patched into the exact same ir simultaneously anyways so stuff that adds what differences real cab in the room might do is moot for this because neither is plugged into the real cab. The only difference between the patches is one path has the full chain with real amp coming in via xlr into the helix and the other has the same path with the amp being the helix model.

My earlier comment, if this is even referring to it, is that there are very noticeable differences between individual amplifiers due to cost considerations when selecting components to make the amplifiers. Potentiometers (20%), Capacitors (10-20% varying) and to a lesser extent resistors (1-5% varying) have wide tolerances that add up to something everyone can hear. They don’t select for values within those tolerances, either. If it says it on the label it gets soldered into the board.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Well the helix is perfectly usable I don’t expect to match perfectly. Meanwhile the amp cost a shitload so I get to confirm my bias and say tooobs lol. I think both are good tho I’ll give the edge to the real amp atm just because it’s working exceptionally very well for me recording some stuff and the helix model has more erroneous positions that sound bad

The fryette powerstation is absolutely key to making real amps usable again for me tho on quality the level of when I switched to recording using the helix because couldn’t attenuate amps and load back the last time I used tube amps (at least without a serious rack setup)

Very insanely happy with this setup atm. I’ve never had better guitar recording quality from home studio

I’ll post a image of my helix patch that routes the comparison into 2 channels in a bit

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I can gently caress around with my amps all day and try to get the best sound, but my biggest problem is that me and my friends don’t have any place to jam like we used to when were kids. Or the time, really.

I have tried recording but it just doesn’t scratch the itch like jamming with real people does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Yeah I feel that. Back in music school everyday was jam day. With a noise treated room you could rent for free. I miss that, a lot. (Though don’t miss much else actually related to school)

It’s nice to be able to crank the amp with the powerstation and get neighbor friendly levels.

Some music friends I work with just by bouncing the daw project between us. I spend loads of time on that

ethanol fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 6, 2024