Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Anyone else hate it when a childless couple treats their australopithecus afarensis as a human?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The idea of an Edgar Wright sex comedy romp is instinctively unappealing to me.

The balance had shifted, and dreck has been dominant for too long! The boring-rear end competence of Planet Ape 4 is exactly what the world needs right now. We need blockbusters that are without egregious flaws and just mildly stupid.

Another win for Team Ape.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

Waffleman_ posted:

Need a drat Master's to figure out which version of Blade Runner to watch

Any reason we wouldn't just go with the Final Cut?

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

Waffleman_ posted:

Need a drat Master's to figure out which version of Blade Runner to watch

The Final Cut. Just ignore the dream sequence with the unicorn.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Carpet posted:

The Final Cut. Just ignore the dream sequence with the unicorn.

That scene is a must!!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Schwarzwald posted:

The whole thing was a hit but the lines regarding the swim team, the ocean's strongest material, and the final apology to the Icelandic Wrestling Association got the biggest laughs.

Glad you liked it.

Those seem to be the highlights for most people. It was amazing to see it with a live audience in a Boston and having them explode with laughter mostly at those points. Also at the crew premiere which was almost entirely people who worked on the film but they still laughed. I also laughed some and I wrote the drat thing.

I'm guessing the low point was the crime scene scenes which is almost entirely exposition about the characters.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Final Cut and the earlier Director's Cut are both great for Blade Runner I'd say.

On David Lynch and Dune, I've heard him talk about that experience a lot, that is a sadness, gotta give David final cut.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
the new Apes movie is pretty good tbh. I now believe that when the Zelda movie sucks it will be entirely because of Derek Connolly and that Wes Ball will have tried his best

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I think all of them are pretty solid and adequate. The first might have the edge for me just cuz gorillas and chimpanzees battling the San Francisco police department is just that dope, and the third might be the silliest (with the comedy relief ape, straight up Vietnam/WW2 homages like calling them "the Kong" lol, and with Woody shouting at the far more "human" Caesar going "SO EMOTIONAL! SO EMOTIONAL!" every time Caesar reacts to Woody being like "I LIKE KILLING FAMILIES" is pretty fun), but all of them are pretty drat solid.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
My complaint is its consistently anti-bonobo which is hosed up. Not sure why Koba and Proximus had to both be bonobos but guess what they were right about human beings.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I’m watching a movie that features product placement for Orbitz soda.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
When I was a kid, my brother came back from a hospitalization with a bottle of Orbitz and told me they let him take his blood sample home.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Anonymous Robot posted:

When I was a kid, my brother came back from a hospitalization with a bottle of Orbitz and told me they let him take his blood sample home.

dudes rock.

I did probably as few dozen blood tests as a kid but they never let me keep any of the blood no matter how often I asked.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://x.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1790246100961788086

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Alright, fine, Francis Ford Coppola.

I’ll go see your expensive scifi movie.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

DAY loving ONE

NEVER DOUBTED

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

DAY loving ONE

NEVER DOUBTED

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Amy Adams' willingness to just do whatever is highly appealing in an actor.

It's a smart thing too, I've riffed on Will Smith a lot for ruining his career by overthinking it, while actors who'll appear in whatever probably not only get more regular paychecks but have better odds of starring in a surprise smash hit.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Over/under on critics panning this because they read about Ayn Rand on the Internet?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's a smart thing too, I've riffed on Will Smith a lot for ruining his career by overthinking it, while actors who'll appear in whatever probably not only get more regular paychecks but have better odds of starring in a surprise smash hit.

Ehh, it's hit or miss either way I think. Sean Connery turned down the Morpheus role in The Matrix because he didn't understand the movie and then when that was a huge hit he did League of Extraordinary Gentlemen despite not understanding that movie either.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Air Skwirl posted:

Ehh, it's hit or miss either way I think. Sean Connery turned down the Morpheus role in The Matrix because he didn't understand the movie and then when that was a huge hit he did League of Extraordinary Gentlemen despite not understanding that movie either.

LxG is terrible compared to the comic BUT is underrated amongst cbm imo

Way more consistently fun than all the xmens put together, including the Deadpools

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Blood Boils posted:

LxG is terrible compared to the comic BUT is underrated amongst cbm imo

Way more consistently fun than all the xmens put together, including the Deadpools

The X-Men series is incredibly inconsistent, but I have a huge issue with that statement. I was actually really annoyed when Disney bought Fox because good or bad, Fox was making very different movies than Disney was with the MCU and now, if and when we get more X-Men movies they're going to be MCU movies.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

LxG was among the first movies I remember seeing a theater leaving thinking "huh. That wasn't that good."

My big hangup iirc is that the movie had noticeably no background actors, so even when they're fleeing a major city, the world just felt really lifeless and empty. That and the whole thing looked so 'cold', the kind of gritty look Batman Begins would perfect and tonally work better for.

Haven't rewatched it, but imagine the ambition eases a lot of it's rough edges.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CatstropheWaitress posted:

LxG was among the first movies I remember seeing a theater leaving thinking "huh. That wasn't that good."

My big hangup iirc is that the movie had noticeably no background actors, so even when they're fleeing a major city, the world just felt really lifeless and empty. That and the whole thing looked so 'cold', the kind of gritty look Batman Begins would perfect and tonally work better for.

Haven't rewatched it, but imagine the ambition eases a lot of it's rough edges.

It's also just a terrible adaptation of a great loving comic book. This obviously matters a lot less to people who don't read comics, but being a terrible adaptation of something a lot of people love is going to get you a lot of extra hate. All of the X-Men movies change a lot from the stories they are based on but the good ones manage to capture the feel that the comics brought to fans.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Air Skwirl posted:

It's also just a terrible adaptation of a great loving comic book. This obviously matters a lot less to people who don't read comics, but being a terrible adaptation of something a lot of people love is going to get you a lot of extra hate.

That's true but as a life long reader & collector of comic books* I just don't care about that, it's an adaptation through a different medium. Your baggage is your own burden, not anyone else's!

Even without seeing it in a decade I can recall minor characters: Nemo's first mate who dies in his arms, Phantom/Moriarty's equivalent who goes Red Hulk, the bookkeeper guy who played Eomer in LOTR - it's not hard to do this with anything if you pay attention.

I agree that the LxG movie's world is cold & empty, that's why I compared it to X-Men. Not gritty though, I don't see that at all. To me grit implies either serious emotional distress or at least literal visible particles blowing around like a Ridley Scott joint.

*I have hard copies of all the league, even the Janni Nemo stuff. Moore's 2nd best work imo (I forgot about from hell, also an objectively inferior but still fun adaptation)

Blood Boils fucked around with this message at 08:25 on May 14, 2024

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Oh, it's a total mess, and a waste of a cast, but it at least has some fun bits. Also it taught me the plural of Nautilus.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Escobarbarian posted:

the new Apes movie is pretty good tbh. I now believe that when the Zelda movie sucks it will be entirely because of Derek Connolly and that Wes Ball will have tried his best

Planet Ape 4 is a mixed bag because it opens on a Revenge Of The Sith reference (cool) but then its "300 Years Later" setting is kinda shockingly ill-conceived.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Oh, it's a total mess, and a waste of a cast, but it at least has some fun bits. Also it taught me the plural of Nautilus.

Nautilopodes?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Nautsilus??

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Planet Ape 4 is a mixed bag because it opens on a Revenge Of The Sith reference (cool) but then its "300 Years Later" setting is kinda shockingly ill-conceived.

When it got into the third act, I was convinced we were going to get nuke worshipping inbred mutant people ala Beneath the Planet of the Apes and was really let down when that wasn’t the case.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Nautilus, Oneilus, Twoilus, all the way up to Octonaut

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I was dubious but this looks sick, definitely one for imax.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Chris James 2 posted:

DAY loving ONE

NEVER DOUBTED

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I think Megalopolis will be good but even if it isn't, I gotta respect FFC for putting so much of his own money on the line.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

People dropping "LxG" like it's the obvious natural way of abbreviating "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen"

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Jay Rust posted:

People dropping "LxG" like it's the obvious natural way of abbreviating "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen"

The branding worked I guess,

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

it is.

tf you want me to call it, “LEG”?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Made me google that "XXX" movie but that's tricky to search for

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

it is.

tf you want me to call it, “LEG”?

Is that really such a big ask?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Is that really such a big ask?

yeah dude the movie came out 20 years ago. the LxG fandom will not go for it this late in the game.