Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I don't know about fancy hoops, but I've been painting wooden hoops with nail polish, which is fun. I've also seen people wrap them with thread or fabric strips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Pie
Feb 4, 2007
Do you want a piece of me?!
I use q-snaps instead of hoops, they're pvc tubes that snap together. You can get them in a zillion different sizes because I guess they're marketed for quilting? I am no quilter though, and my grandma always used a giant oval hoop frame for her quilts. BUT, I found them to be so much better than hoops, esp since I'm lazy and leave poo poo in the frame until it's done or I have to move the fabric.

The one I use all the time is 8x11, here's what I have in the frame right now so you can see what I mean.

They're not as cheap as bamboo hoops but they're not super expensive either, and last a long time. You can buy knock-offs at your crafting store of choice, or even on Amazon.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

I use a good-sized rectangle scroll frame that I got in a Bunz trade. I’ve had to do some work on it (re-stapling the canvas to the dowels) because I’m pretty sure it was handmade, but I really love it, especially since I mostly do larger pieces now.

This is the closest I can find to mine online. I sew my aida to the canvas on a sewing machine and it keeps my projects totally straight without any warping.

https://www.amazon.ca/American-Drea...810916598&psc=1

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

i’ve picked up a cross stitch kit off of amazon and this is my first time doing it. i was really desperate because i’ve been having a hard time sleeping and one of the tips i read online was ‘try a relaxing hobby before bed.’ it’s been going on long enough that i will truly try anything but... it really is relaxing. i’ve found when i’m stressed, picking this up and working on it helps.

it’s only one color but i figured it would be the easiest to sort of learn cross stitching. it’s a lot bigger than i expected though

Angry Pie
Feb 4, 2007
I had a week off work and bashed this thing out while rewatching Dead Like Me, repetitive stress injuries be damned.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Hello embroiderers! DIY Secret Santa signups are now open!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3941260

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

Angry Pie posted:

I had a week off work and bashed this thing out while rewatching Dead Like Me, repetitive stress injuries be damned.

This is so well done! And I love the subject matter of course.

Desmodus rotundus
Sep 15, 2013

HAY GUYS

I just started trying embroidery and have really enjoyed it so far. I hated the constraints that cross stitch had, so this was def more my jam. This is my third project and I’m super happy with it! I’m going to try more False Knee birds I think

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Hello DIYers! We have a new forum/mod feedback thread and would love to hear your thoughts!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3944213

Get ready to read this message 15 more times in every thread you read!

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

this one was a blast to stitch, an absolute fucker to pattern. With eight different greens, even with a bunch of colour fiddling the picker program would NOT give me full colour depth and kept collapsing colours together, so I had to false-colour the entire thing, pattern from that then do the picking with careful reference back to the original image and use of the eyedropper.

worth it tho

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Has anyone here tried tambour embroidery? I’ve played with a tambour hook and it’s pretty cool. Seems to work best on thin but sturdy woven fabric. It’s used for chain stitch and beading, and seems to go pretty fast when you get a handle on it!

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

I am completely unfamiliar with tambour, but that looks really cool. Would be very curious to see any work you end up doing with it!

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

Can anyone recommend a kit I can buy as a gift for a complete beginner?

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

The Greve textile museum in Denmark is doing a Covid themed exhibition. I was very honoured to be asked to contribute my large format stitch that I posted a few months ago.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_h1IiNndhF/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIGR9DvngQT/

I think they had hoped for things to be better, rather than worse by now, so I'm not sure they're going to get quite the attendance they had hoped for. It's a real shame, but the exhibition is open until June so maybe we'll all be shot full of Vaccine by then?

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Tears In A Vial posted:

The Greve textile museum in Denmark is doing a Covid themed exhibition. I was very honoured to be asked to contribute my large format stitch that I posted a few months ago.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_h1IiNndhF/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIGR9DvngQT/

I think they had hoped for things to be better, rather than worse by now, so I'm not sure they're going to get quite the attendance they had hoped for. It's a real shame, but the exhibition is open until June so maybe we'll all be shot full of Vaccine by then?

Well this is the coolest thing I've seen in a good long while! Grats!

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

walruscat posted:

Can anyone recommend a kit I can buy as a gift for a complete beginner?

https://www.craftsy.com/class/startup-library-hand-embroidery/

This is the series I was gifted last Christmas and I really liked it, if you're looking for actual classes. Just a note though, it was purchased for me from its original website, Bluprint, which went bankrupt and was bought out by Craftsy, so I'm not sure what that website is like. The preview looks the same, and so do the titles of the videos. This version is also a little pricey (I don't know what your budget is), but if the purchasing setup is the same, then the recipient gets to retain access to the videos.

If you're looking for a simple kit, I'd like to recommend Little Broderie Shop on etsy (https://www.etsy.com/shop/LittleBroderieShop). It's run by a very nice lady who made me a custom pattern document, as I didn't need the full kit but didn't want to just copy the kit pattern without paying for it. The instructions were great, good pictures, and she was very nice to interact with when I was making my request.

mania
Sep 9, 2004
I embroidered for the first time!

It was a kit I got off the local version of aliexpress after coming across some really cool embroidery on Instagram.

Please excuse the terrible french knots. They looked so easy to do in theory but I kept messing it up in the beginning. Anyway it was pretty fun and chill to embroider while watching Netflix and I’ve already started on another kit.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

mania posted:

I embroidered for the first time!

It was a kit I got off the local version of aliexpress after coming across some really cool embroidery on Instagram.

Please excuse the terrible french knots. They looked so easy to do in theory but I kept messing it up in the beginning. Anyway it was pretty fun and chill to embroider while watching Netflix and I’ve already started on another kit.

It looks so cute! I like the pale colors, they look very nice together. If you get to a point where you want to try a pattern on your own, DMC has some interesting (and free) patterns on their website. If you like florals, they have some really cute ones on there. I have a few of their patterns printed off for when I am looking for something easy to do.

And French knots just take practice! I got good at them because I made an entire 5" cloud out of them. When you do 1,000 of them, you get decent at it. 😅

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
I did it. I ordered some anchor threads. I own literally every single solid colour DMC make, including the sixteen discontinued ones, but there are still gaps man. Got some dark purples and a cyan-ey blue run, plus some of the more rainbowey multi ones (now *that* is a rabbithole I should really try to avoid, there are companies that make some incredible 3-5 colour variegated threads that could make for incredible projects if I had a million hours in the day). Fortunately unlike DMC there don't seem to be any sellers who do job lots of literally every extant anchor colour so I should be able to resist getting *another* 450+ colours

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

there's definitely some gaps in DMCs range. I feel like there's one missing between their darkest gray and black that scuppers me sometimes.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Does anyone have some recommendations for starter kits ala this Caydo Full Range Starter Kit? I want to start real simple with some custom patterns that aren't flowers, and the quality warnings in the reviews has me concerned.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
My parents are moving to an apartment next year. For Christmas I embroidered an engineering drawing of their place, and I'm pretty happy with it. This is my first time sewing on black cloth!

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I love that!

I find that black fabric shows every cat hair and speck of lint to a degree that I find distracting.

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

Oh I love this idea! We're moving soon and maybe I will do one to remember all the good times in our little apartment

Angry Pie
Feb 4, 2007

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I find that black fabric shows every cat hair and speck of lint to a degree that I find distracting.

Very true, but I find that if you hose the piece down with enough spray glitter you don't even notice the lint.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I removed it from the frame, ironed it, got rid of most of the little bits of stuff, and put it back, so now it looks much better! I usually put my embroideries behind glass, so they won't get as dusty. I don't work with texture and layers that much, so it looks good.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I've been keeping my embroideries in the hoop for display, but I'd like to frame some. I'd have to get shadow boxes, since I use a lot of beads. Time to keep an eye out at the thrift store, I guess.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Hello Hobbyists and Crafters of all sorts! Our friends from Creative Convention are visiting with their Travelling Showcase of Wonders and they want to see all the cool and fantastic things you've been working on! Go show them off and admire the handiwork of other talented goons!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3946255

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I finished my first cross-stitch project!!

I am super proud of this thing. I started in the middle, then went bottom-up, then went top down and realized it was the best way. I learned a lot and can't wait to do more!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Progress shot of my next project:

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Not the best frame job, but I finished Link and Zelda. I am getting a super early drop on Christmas presents with this. Next up is a slightly hideous dragonfly kit I got from a thrift store a couple of years ago that will be another present for someone else.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

I bought the bee brooch for a dollar and it broke the first time I tried to pin it to my shirt, so I made this. I'm going to send to my SASS santee because I kind of shortchanged them due to my husband getting covid in December so I didn't make anything like I usually do.

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I bought the bee brooch for a dollar and it broke the first time I tried to pin it to my shirt, so I made this. I'm going to send to my SASS santee because I kind of shortchanged them due to my husband getting covid in December so I didn't make anything like I usually do.

Ooh I love this! Really want to try doing things with beads.

Anyway hi slow moving thread, I just found you and caught up. Only really discovered embroidery and cross stitch last year because of, you know etc. Here's one of many, many current projects. If anyone knows how to start something and finish it before starting about ten other projects, please let me know.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

sugar mouse posted:

Ooh I love this! Really want to try doing things with beads.

Anyway hi slow moving thread, I just found you and caught up. Only really discovered embroidery and cross stitch last year because of, you know etc. Here's one of many, many current projects. If anyone knows how to start something and finish it before starting about ten other projects, please let me know.

Oh that's gorgeous!

I've set a hard rule to myself: I may not start more than one cross-stitch at a time, because I don't have room by the couch for more than one project! So I'm slowly working on a parrot, and it would go faster if I'd watch more TV that wasn't amazing, but my bf got me going on Babylon 5 and I have to actually watch it. Welp!

What are you working on currently?

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

Oh that's gorgeous!

I've set a hard rule to myself: I may not start more than one cross-stitch at a time, because I don't have room by the couch for more than one project! So I'm slowly working on a parrot, and it would go faster if I'd watch more TV that wasn't amazing, but my bf got me going on Babylon 5 and I have to actually watch it. Welp!

What are you working on currently?

Thank you! Currently I'm meant to be working on an animal patch quilt for my neice but I keep going back to cross stitch for a break. Here's what I've got...

I do exactly the same, sewing in front of the TV every night! Currently loving Death in Paradise on Netflix, its such an easy going show to just have on in the background.

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

Double posting just because this is clearly possibly the slowest moving thread on the whole of SA but I finally finished this drat koala.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Your animals are great! I am loving the hedgie so much. :3:

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

I've had zero motivation to sew during the pandemic but commissions are picking up again, and I'm getting back into the groove.

https://twitter.com/ohenieledam/status/1364774798849675265?s=19

It's gonna say fart, not heart. I have the best clients!

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

Skutter posted:

Your animals are great! I am loving the hedgie so much. :3:

Thank you!! Been making tote bags recently and thinking of selling some because I don't really need hundreds, is Etsy the best way forward for that still?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
The knitting goons sent me here. I'm still not entirely sure what I am looking for. I adore my daughter's daycare provider and there are barriers that prevent me from really understanding what she is about. Anyway, she makes like little pictures. It's a white background and then it's my daughter at the beach or another person's kid with a truck they like, etc. Maybe needlepoint? If it helps, when my daughter pretends to do it she shoves a pen through a piece of paper.

My original post was:

Not sure if this is the right space (if not, please let me know where to go) but our daycare provider loves "crapping" which I believe is "crochet" filtered through toddler tongue. Older woman so she presumably has everything but the thing she loves most after kids is Jesus and since Easter is coming up I'd like to "wow" her. Any advice? Money is not an object.