Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silvain
May 19, 2006

I'm kinda awesome.

Clarste posted:

wonder what the heck she was talking about and end up more confused

This is me throughout the whole show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

but then it turned out Haruno was the bat-man all along...

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

How does Haruno know about that whole "the real thing" deal? Wasn't it an outbreak Hachiman just had in the club room with Yui and Yukino present, and Iroha listening in from outside? I can't exactly imagine Yukino speaking about it with anyone, at all.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Triggerhappypilot posted:

but then it turned out Haruno was the bat-man all along...

lol

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

nielsm posted:

How does Haruno know about that whole "the real thing" deal? Wasn't it an outbreak Hachiman just had in the club room with Yui and Yukino present, and Iroha listening in from outside? I can't exactly imagine Yukino speaking about it with anyone, at all.

Haruno is basically just a device to move the plot.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
IIRC, Haruno got it out of Iroha at some point in Volume 10.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
It's like Haruno can sense whenever her sister's having a good time and makes haste to swoop in and take a dump on her shoes. Someone, I don't care who, needs to tell her, "Excuse me, you're being kind of a bitch, and it's weird that you're hanging out with high school kids. Please leave." Hachiman or Yukino are the obvious candidates, but Yumiko, Saki, or the teacher would also be acceptable.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Yui singing the ending song all alone...

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

Yui singing the ending song all alone...
Yukino had that earlier in the season, and then the very next episode was the big breakthrough moment. Therefore...

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.
I get the impression that Haruno loves her sister, but doesn't like her in the slightest. Naturally, that allows her to do things she thinks are important to Yukino's growth, but may hurt her in the short term.

Hikigaya said it himself earlier; family members are your closest strangers, and even he probably wouldn't give a poo poo about Komachi if they hadn't grown up together. Oftentimes you care for your siblings without actually caring about them.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Classy Hydra posted:

I get the impression that Haruno loves her sister, but doesn't like her in the slightest. Naturally, that allows her to do things she thinks are important to Yukino's growth, but may hurt her in the short term.

Hikigaya said it himself earlier; family members are your closest strangers, and even he probably wouldn't give a poo poo about Komachi if they hadn't grown up together. Oftentimes you care for your siblings without actually caring about them.

While this could be true, I think one of the things that has remained for the most part the same between seasons is the fact that, despite them having pretty much maintaining a similar level of interactions (with a small bump on the road here and there), it's obvious that Hachiman dotes on / cares for Komachi beyond the fact that he has spent 15 years of his life being around her. While I have yet to check the novels (I'm totally going to, at some point), so I might be talking out of my rear end, I recently rewatched Season 1 and one of the moments to best observe this is when Saki's little brother starts calling him 'Nii-san' or something similar. At that moment, Hachiman actually got slightly mad / on the defensive at the prospect of this little squirt trying to get all chummy with his little sister, though probably (and I think this being the most likely reason Taishi started calling him that; this is S1 Hachiman we're talking about, after all) Taishi was trying to appeal to him because he needed help with Saki's situation and the 8man just misinterpreted the whole thing.

I like this show. I kinda feel silly for deriding it in one of my earlier posts when I first started posting here because I thought that the title was loving idiotic. I mean, I still think the title is longer than needed (and somewhat idiotic), but I've grown fond of the setting and now I understand that this could be one of the many dumb things that Hikki could be talking/thinking about with regards to his life early on. Hikki's character arc has been fun. It's kinda how like in Nichibros, most of the characters feel like the typical side characters, and Hikki at first gives you that sort of vibe: An unlikely protagonist.

With regards to the Yukinoshita siblings, one of the things I'm reminded of is a less stereotypical and kinda darker version of the 'aloof big sister' thing that happens a lot in manga/anime/video games. One of the more recent examples I can recall is the relationship between Miho and Maho from Girls und Panzer in that both siblings clearly care for each other but due to past circumstances, they're kinda crap at showing it. In Haruno and Yukino's case, however, is more that Haruno has this big-rear end burden that she has to bear and her way of letting the stress off is to tease the everloving poo poo out of her little sister and whoever close to Yukino is nearby, even though she cares about her. Of course, given some evidence (like the fact that Yukino is actually scared of park rides due to Haruno and the theory my daughter has that Haruno actually prevented Hayato from bailing Yukino out from whatever incident got her marginalized/bullied); I could also be wrong and Haruno is just a gigantic shithead for no reason other than she can.

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

"Excuse me, you're being kind of a bitch, and it's weird that you're hanging out with high school kids. Please leave."

Additionally, this. The only reason I've ever gone back to my college after graduating is when I needed an updated copy of my kardex / grades card for a job offer. I had to go on January and, despite the fact that I'm friends with some of the staff there (the teacher who taught me DBA for like a third of my career is a consummate metalhead and I actually got her souvenirs whenever I went on tour or saw a band she might like; the teacher in charge of signing my hours for professional practices is the same dude that actually saved my rear end from a bar brawl by bitch-slapping a guy into unconsciousness), we'd never hang out at school.

Silvain
May 19, 2006

I'm kinda awesome.

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Someone, I don't care who, needs to tell her, "Excuse me, you're being kind of a bitch, and it's weird that you're hanging out with high school kids. Please leave."

But that would reduce Hachiman's Harem Potential?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Great episode and all, but I wouldn't mind more hilarious Yoko vs Matoi Ryuuko

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Coaaab posted:

Yukino had that earlier in the season, and then the very next episode was the big breakthrough moment. Therefore...

Therefore this will be the opposite.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Space Flower posted:

Therefore this will be the opposite.
Please don't bully Yui.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
So the elephant in the room everyone is avoiding is that the last episode probably is gonna end with Yui getting totally rejected, right?

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

I'm not sure if I would like the show ending with 8man choosing a girl. As much as I would love to see Yui win I can't help but think the 3 of them should just remain good friends. So if Yukino wins I'll be doubly upset...

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

So the elephant in the room everyone is avoiding is that the last episode probably is gonna end with Yui getting totally rejected, right?

No she's going to win because I want her to.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

surprising everyone, silver haired girl becomes hikki's gf

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Davincie posted:

surprising everyone, silver haired girl becomes hikki's gf

Incidentally, I thought it was really weird how she got a reaction shot too, during the Valentine's Day "did I give you chocolate before?" thing. What does she have to do with any of this love triangle stuff?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Clarste posted:

Incidentally, I thought it was really weird how she got a reaction shot too, during the Valentine's Day "did I give you chocolate before?" thing. What does she have to do with any of this love triangle stuff?

She is a girl in a harem show.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i heard that she had a bigger role in the books but was basically written out. they set up all this stuff with her family too, little brother knows komachi and her little sister has something to do with the christmas play so i guess those plot arcs got written out

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
In general, all of Hikki's "other friends" don't seem to have much role in the story. Saika and Zaimokuzawa too. They each got a little introductory episode, back in the first season, and then some cameos every few episodes. They're never important to any plotline, nor do they drive anyone's character development. They're just there, for no reason. It's actually kind of funny how Hayato's group of friends seems more important than them.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

well, besides poor spiky haired dude. i'm not sure he even has a name

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Davincie posted:

well, besides poor spiky haired dude. i'm not sure he even has a name

the other two dudes in the clique got named in the first season when they were all making GBS threads on each other to get in Hayato's group. I don't think they've had lines since.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Yeah, Hikigaya's circle of secondary friends (Zaimokuza, Saika, Saki) are the biggest casualties of the anime's cuts. She does have a crush on Hikigaya, which he seems to be completely oblivious to.

Clearly the season will end as it started: with Hikigaya confessing to someone not in the club so he can duck the problems of romantic entanglements... Except this time whoever it is will say "yes," so he'll have an entirely different set of problems!

That doesn't really work thematically, though, so I don't expect it to actually happen.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I think completely leaving out any hints of a crush on 8man works fine. Not everyone needs to be after him. Plus the bit with her little sister was funny and gives her enough character.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Ha ha, this season finale is primed to tick so many people off.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Or convince them to buy the VN so they can get their preferred pairing.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Never thought I'd be hoping for the old consolation ending that's inconclusive. I wish I could keep the hope of Yui winning alive, but I also don't want to be crushed when it doesn't happen.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

haruno needs a hobby

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

business student council guy is cool

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Cake Attack posted:

haruno needs a hobby
She does have one, that's the problem.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

Coaaab posted:

Ha ha, this season finale is primed to tick so many people off.

Just kind of a disappointment, but honestly expected. The only thing I hope for is that the series doesn't drag on forever.

I liked that moment when Yukino gets on the phone and shocks the other two, you really get the realization right as the characters do. It was a well put together moment. However, the triple date thing felt forced? I get the plan, but up until this point all the characters actions seem like things people might actually do; this situation felt sort of out there. I actually like Yui's characterization in this episode, its just the last little bit that's annoying. I wish she had gone a bit further in not being a nice girl. The show has gotten to a point where the core conflict is out in the open, the longer they don't resolve it, the more irritating it will become. The absolute last thing I want is for the series to stagnate into that normal romcom stupor/obliviousness that characters get in these shows. (The second last thing I want is for yukino to eventually make up her mind to BE HERSELF and ask hachiman out and they live happliy ever after while Yui smiles sadly in the background. Can we get a Yandere Yui path?)

Man, they did not have any kind of fanfare for the season finale though, what a god drat cliffhanger.

MrAptronym fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jun 27, 2015

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
It was a really good episode. Too bad it's all over. :sigh:

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

That was pretty much the ending I was expecting and it was really well done. I was surprised how much I enjoyed this season considering I couldn't remember anything about S1 beyond the fact that I liked it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
That was really good. I think I might rewatch everything with fansubs to see what all I pick up with a second look/different translation.

• Locked thread