Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Poil posted:

Well, that wasn't completely unexpected. I really question the wisdom of sneaking down several levels if they have such a huge risk of aggroing the whole freaking instance dungeon so easily. Morons.

The undead were pretty cool though and gave some nice closure. :)

I... kinda wouldn't miss him either. They should pick up a paladin or something that can provide secondary healing instead.

Superstring posted:

To hell with that! Go home everybody! Hire something useful, like another warrior. Someone that doesn't cause inter-party conflict!

Ranta did nothing wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

A big flaming stink posted:

Ranta did nothing wrong.
Besides being an unlikable jerk and toxic most of the time, no he did nothing wrong.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

A big flaming stink posted:

Ranta did nothing wrong.

He picked Dark Knight.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I would be OK with this show getting infinite seasons.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

controversial opinion: i am ok with Ranta

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

welcome to the ranta fanclub

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Ranta is hit or miss. Sometimes I wish he was just a smidge more tolerable.

He's certainly had his moments, though. This episode was one of em.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Haru's probably the most likely guy to be able to escape with sneaky thief moves, even if we haven't seen him pick up a direct stealth skill yet, but Ranta's nearly as good. I mean, the guy has an exhaust skill that lets him backstep quickly with no shown cooldown or limit on its use, just get your back facing away from the death swarm and yell exhaust until you back into a well rope leading up and out of there. Even if he needs to have attacked to rebuild his dark knight mana equivalent it should give him a hell of a head start.

I would be okay with the party being crushed by Manato's death and then just kind of shrugging off Ranta's death pretty easily, it's not likely but it'd be interesting.

Oh, and they really need to offer people some kind of easy to use incendiary grenade, so if you know you're doomed you can at least immolate yourself and avoid becoming undead, kind of the fantasy equivalent of being willing to shoot yourself in the head/be killed if you get bitten by a zombie.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
On the topic of undead, is it only humans that have to worry about becoming undead after they die or do things like goblins and kobolds have to burn their dead too? Also, you'd think the kobolds would have burned the corpses of the adventurers they killed if only to make sure they don't have zombies running around causing trouble. Maybe human zombies only go after humans or something?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Kobolds never go where those zombies were. Why would they go through the trouble of bringing down some zombie adventures that could mow through a good crowd of kobolds, when they could just leave them to mill around in the church.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Didn't they say the curse was placed by the "no-life-king(?)" who also ordered the monsters to attack?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

genericnick posted:

Didn't they say the curse was placed by the "no-life-king(?)" who also ordered the monsters to attack?

From what is known. The No life King is a Lich overlord or something of a similar nature that cursed the land to have creatures that die rise as undead. A good deal of the monstrous races are also stated to worship him as a god. He has apparently been defeated before, but returned.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

That was the must most poignant use of turn/destroy undead I've ever seen.
:smith:

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

MonsterEnvy posted:

From what is known. The No life King is a Lich overlord or something of a similar nature that cursed the land to have creatures that die rise as undead. A good deal of the monstrous races are also stated to worship him as a god. He has apparently been defeated before, but returned.

Is the best translation really No Life King, rather than King of the Undead or Lich King? It just makes him sound like some shut-in rather than a terrifying undead god.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

There Bias Two posted:

Is the best translation really No Life King, rather than King of the Undead or Lich King? It just makes him sound like some shut-in rather than a terrifying undead god.

What if he's both?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

Sounds about right for the resident DM. :v:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

NowonSA posted:

I mean, the guy has an exhaust skill that lets him backstep quickly with no shown cooldown or limit on its use, just get your back facing away from the death swarm and yell exhaust until you back into a well rope leading up and out of there. Even if he needs to have attacked to rebuild his dark knight mana equivalent it should give him a hell of a head start.

I don't think abilities work that way. It still takes Ranta the same amount of stamina as it would take any other person to repeatedly make giant backwards leaps (and, at least in the LN, it's mentioned how that skill reduces his stamina/tires him out if used repeatedly over a long fight). It's not like they're just adding an ability to their "skillbook" when they go to the guild and can instantly use it easily and freely. It is also not necessary to say the name of the ability to use it (for example Moguzo saying "thank you!" while using rage smash or whatever); Ranta is just weird that way (and when the other characters say their abilities, I think it's mostly for the audience's benefit and often is more them "thinking" it instead of actually saying it out loud).

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

There Bias Two posted:

The Japanese lines literally use "No Life King", so it's not a translation, but a transliteration. It's one of those made-up Engrish words that the Japanese think sound cool, I guess. Supposedly originates from the title of a 1988 novel by Itou Seikou, then got used as the name of the highest tier undead in a 1989 RPG, and it's kind of stayed around.

Rondino
Mar 5, 2008
It's one of those terms that is written in normal Japanese with an English reading. The Japanese writing just means "king of the undead". The skills/spells with English words as names are like this too.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Rondino posted:

It's one of those terms that is written in normal Japanese with an English reading. The Japanese writing just means "king of the undead". The skills/spells with English words as names are like this too.

I hope someone told them how silly it sounds.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I believe No Life King also appeared as a phrase in Hellsing at some point

kickascii
Mar 30, 2010
The leader of Mary's old party was Chad Thundercock, when he smoothly told Mary to stop worrying her pretty head and follow him she was all :swoon:

Complete contrast to Haru who couldnt lead a monkey to a banana raffle.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

kickascii posted:

The leader of Mary's old party was Chad Thundercock, when he smoothly told Mary to stop worrying her pretty head and follow him she was all :swoon:

Complete contrast to Haru who couldnt lead a monkey to a banana raffle.

In every situation Haru is in, from being the party leader to talking to girls, he spends way too much time thinking about what to do and not enough time actually doing anything. It's especially noticeable because when he's just playing the role of a party member and doesn't have to make real decisions he's actually pretty competent at shanking goblins and kobolds.

TenWren
Jan 22, 2012

Can we get more of Haru doing those weird, acrobatic, upside down restraint moves like the one he pulled against Mary's old party? That's actually kinda sick.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

TenWren posted:

Can we get more of Haru doing those weird, acrobatic, upside down restraint moves like the one he pulled against Mary's old party? That's actually kinda sick.

It would be hilarious if those restraint moves weren't a normal part of the thief moveset, and was instead just the result of his teacher trying to mess with him.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

TenWren posted:

We need more rogue classes with wrestling skills in our RPGs.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So Deathspot is basically more of a hero than any other character in this series. He just stays in the Kobold's cave town defending it against all the random humans that come in trying to mug and murder his buddies.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ytlaya posted:

So Deathspot is basically more of a hero than any other character in this series. He just stays in the Kobold's cave town defending it against all the random humans that come in trying to mug and murder his buddies.

Well the mines used to belong to the humans until the Kobolds took it over. Also Deathspot has killed a lot of people. (Which is why there is a 30 gold bounty on him.)

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well the mines used to belong to the humans until the Kobolds took it over. Also Deathspot has killed a lot of people. (Which is why there is a 30 gold bounty on him.)

Imagine if a bunch of humans took over land that was already occupied by kobolds, and they fought tooth and nail to defend their newly colonized land against the savage natives seeking to reclaim it. A human Death Spots equivalent would be a hero.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

It would be one thing if the humans were making some sort of organized military strike intended to reclaim the mines, but they're just sending people in to kill any random Kobold they happen to run into. If Deathpatch was born after the mines were invaded, from his perspective he's just been defending his home against a bunch of human assholes who keep coming in and murdering his buddies. It's like a human hero killing a bunch of orcs when they try to invade his city. It's also not clear what the past relationship between human and Kobolds is; if they've been in a constant state of war and occupying each others' lands, then there isn't anything particularly wrong with the Kobolds seizing the mines.

By the way, I highly encourage reading up to the current translated chapter in the LN, there is a lot of exciting stuff happening. It's a shame that it probably won't ever be animated.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Ytlaya posted:

It would be one thing if the humans were making some sort of organized military strike intended to reclaim the mines, but they're just sending people in to kill any random Kobold they happen to run into. If Deathpatch was born after the mines were invaded, from his perspective he's just been defending his home against a bunch of human assholes who keep coming in and murdering his buddies. It's like a human hero killing a bunch of orcs when they try to invade his city. It's also not clear what the past relationship between human and Kobolds is; if they've been in a constant state of war and occupying each others' lands, then there isn't anything particularly wrong with the Kobolds seizing the mines.

By the way, I highly encourage reading up to the current translated chapter in the LN, there is a lot of exciting stuff happening. It's a shame that it probably won't ever be animated.

And it's not like the Kobolds are, like, sacrificing babies to their blood god or anything. By all we've seen so far they seem to be little more than a wholesome farming people. Like the Amish.

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
Did I forget something or is there no actual point in the adventurers killing random poo poo besides "they raided a farm/they are invaders so make them disappear". I forgot what they are even selling off of the goblins they loot besides seemingly cheap baubles they wear which don't seem to have intrinsic value to the townspeople. I guess that's just how RPGs work.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Every now and then a magic portal disgorges a bunch of dead japanese teenagers, and the town/government pays them to go out and murder their local enemies. There are always more where they came from, and some of them are pretty good at the job. That way, the townspeople can focus on defences (and tooling around and ever getting around to actually retaking those territories).

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Megafunk posted:

Did I forget something or is there no actual point in the adventurers killing random poo poo besides "they raided a farm/they are invaders so make them disappear". I forgot what they are even selling off of the goblins they loot besides seemingly cheap baubles they wear which don't seem to have intrinsic value to the townspeople. I guess that's just how RPGs work.

They're basically murdering goblins and kobolds for their weapons, jewelry, money, and sometimes body parts. It's possible there's some sort of bounty system too, where if they can prove they got a kill they get some sort of payment.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

XboxPants posted:

And it's not like the Kobolds are, like, sacrificing babies to their blood god or anything. By all we've seen so far they seem to be little more than a wholesome farming people. Like the Amish.

Then you know what you must do. :black101:

But yes, it is a bit creepy how the whole system seems to basically be "Hey! These sentient beings have occupied a bunch of ruins we don't use any more, but they have snouts and/or green skin! Go murder them!"

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Have they ever even been particularly pointed at goblins or kobolds? Seems like they just get told "hey, kill poo poo or starve" and the adventurers themselves are led to figure out "oh ok well I guess goblins aren't people so killing them is ok"

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Ytlaya posted:

Gonna check up on the LN eventually, there's only going to be more goodness the longer I wait.

But yeah, from the start our heroes have been invaders going around killing sentient beings who happens to be of a different race. They've done a way better job of making me feel bad for the monsters, and a big part of that is seeing them do normal things and not actively attacking humans who aren't coming after them. Contrast that with the orcs from the LotR movies/books, for example, who are aggressively attack humans and are just massive forces of evil in general. I felt bad about absolutely 0 Orc kills there, despite them having obvious sentience.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
It helps that the novel translation doesn't make me want to claw my own eyes out.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

I believe No Life King also appeared as a phrase in Hellsing at some point

That's true. It's one of Alucard's many fancy nicknames.
Given to him by Van Helsing, after the dude has thoroughly kicked his rear end and enslaved him to his clan. He says it while pointing out Dracula's kingdom lies in ruins.

This may just be because I'm not a native speaker, but No Life King never struck me as weird - sounds kinda poetic. I guess videogames did quite a number on my brain when "Undead King" sounds rather boring these days...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
In that case, Lifeless King would sound cooler.

• Locked thread