Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Cheese puns need time to age

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Foxfire_ posted:

Cheese puns need time to age

I'll take your curd for it

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

What’s the ideal spread for a cheese board?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

George H.W. oval office posted:

What’s the ideal spread for a cheese board?

It depends on what you want really, but you generally want different styles and textures of cheese (three is a good amount), a vessel for the cheese (crackers etc), appropriate accoutrement for each, and something acidic to cleanse the pallet (pickles of some type). Meats are optional.

Example:

Brie with crushed candied walnuts (crunchy against creamy and soft)
Sharp white cheddar with fig jam (punchy and sharp against sweet and fruity)
Bleu cheese with honey (pungent and crumbly against floral sweetness)
Pickled piquant peppers (acid and spiciness)
Crackers (maybe 2 types)

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Prosciutto is not optional on any spread goddamnit. It's required.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Yeah ok that one wasn't very gouda. I wasn't briepared for the quesotion. I'll havarti a better one next time.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Harsh probe from someone literally called Grand Fromage imo

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Field Mousepad posted:

Prosciutto is not optional on any spread goddamnit. It's required.

Prosciutto is really boring and there are way better options. Even serrano would be an improvement. Try speck americano, its a smoked prosciutto.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

feedmegin posted:

Harsh probe from someone literally called Grand Fromage imo

A just punishment. :colbert:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Prosciutto is really boring and there are way better options. Even serrano would be an improvement. Try speck americano, its a smoked prosciutto.

I will actually fight you

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Field Mousepad posted:

I will actually fight you

Over something so lame? I'll win, curdmancer, remember?

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

I feel like you're talking about the ultra-salty garbage that gets mass produced in north america, or for north america? Because proper small batch (whether local or imported) prosciutto is the stuff of the gods.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Naelyan posted:

I feel like you're talking about the ultra-salty garbage that gets mass produced in north america, or for north america? Because proper small batch (whether local or imported) prosciutto is the stuff of the gods.

No, Prosciutto is just boring. It's fine and tastes good, but there are better options. On that note, Edward's makes a "surryano" ham, which is an American country ham made in the style of serrano (produced in Surry County, hence the name), and it is unbelievably good.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jun 21, 2021

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Over something so lame? I'll win, curdmancer, remember?

Yes. I have a borderline unhealthy love for salted meats.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Field Mousepad posted:

Yes. I have a borderline unhealthy love for salted meats.

Well then presumably you have some knowledge on the subject. What are the best? What should a layman look for in a good salted meat? What would be available to the common person?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

litany of gulps posted:

Well then presumably you have some knowledge on the subject. What are the best? What should a layman look for in a good salted meat? What would be available to the common person?

Salted, or cured, meats (in the charcuterie/cheese pairing sense, not touching on things like country ham) generally tend to fall into 2 broad categories: salami and whole muscle.

Salami (or "salumi") are ground meats that are forced into a casing before curing. These are your salamis and pepperonis. These are great for putting in additional flavors, since you can simply add things to the mix. A lot of people also tend to prefer the more familiar texture.

Whole muscle are... whole muscles that are cured, and then sliced. Think prosciutto or capicola. There are often lines of fat along the edges or marbled within the slices. These types tend to have more subtle and complex flavors, but the texture and fat can creep some people out.

Anyone can find salami and prosciutto, and most people can access different types of salami (napoli, sopressata, etc) and serrano ham. As far as what is "best", that's entirely up to your personal preference and what you want. My favorites are coppa (whole muscle) and cured chorizo (salumi).

One of my main tips for quality is shelf stability. If something needs refrigeration before opening, it likely was rushed in production and packaged poorly.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jun 21, 2021

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Any charcuterie board that isn’t intended to be regional that doesn’t have proper mortadella is a disaster.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Edward's makes a "surryano" ham, which is an American country ham made in the style of serrano (produced in Surry County, hence the name), and it is unbelievably good.

thanks for the heads up, i'm definitely going to get some of this next time i'm back

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

litany of gulps posted:

I'm super hungover so see sandwich artist's post above. Dude knows his poo poo

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

One of my main tips for quality is shelf stability. If something needs refrigeration before opening, it likely was rushed in production and packaged poorly.

Aren't most meats in some type of refrigeration display before sold? I think I've always seen "refrigerate after opening" that I can 't remember seeing it the other way.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

You absolutely are supposed to. In fact, that is a major component of the flavor of the cheese. Aficionados will look at you funny if you DON'T eat the rind.

I feel so very vindicated right now.

4 years ago I worked in a somewhat frou-frou deli. We'd gotten a mis-ship of brie that we decided to make into our special sandwich of the week. Turkey, apple slices, brie (I forget the condiment). I had to prep a dozen or so of these for the lunch rush. They were beautiful... then my idiot manager saw me doing the last one and said "You aren't leaving the rind on, are you?" and the equally idiotic asst mgr laughed and made me dis- and re-assemble all the sandwiches, after I cut the rind off this gooey cheese. My beautiful sandwiches now looked like sloppy poo poo from a convenience store.

I have never forgiven them, but I can finally rest. Thank you.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

TV Zombie posted:

Aren't most meats in some type of refrigeration display before sold? I think I've always seen "refrigerate after opening" that I can 't remember seeing it the other way.

Most are refrigerated yes, but only lovely ones HAVE to be.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I feel so very vindicated right now.

4 years ago I worked in a somewhat frou-frou deli. We'd gotten a mis-ship of brie that we decided to make into our special sandwich of the week. Turkey, apple slices, brie (I forget the condiment). I had to prep a dozen or so of these for the lunch rush. They were beautiful... then my idiot manager saw me doing the last one and said "You aren't leaving the rind on, are you?" and the equally idiotic asst mgr laughed and made me dis- and re-assemble all the sandwiches, after I cut the rind off this gooey cheese. My beautiful sandwiches now looked like sloppy poo poo from a convenience store.

I have never forgiven them, but I can finally rest. Thank you.

Yeah gently caress them, they don't know what they are talking about. You did it right.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

TV Zombie posted:

If you go to a "proper" deli or high end supermarket you'll often see whole cured meats hanging up for sale. They're sealed and refrigerated when sliced though.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

On the subject of cured meats - Basturma is very nice, if you like extra seasoning. Don't know what type of cheese you could pair it with though.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Most are refrigerated yes, but only lovely ones HAVE to be.

How little can something be cured but still be called salami (or cured meat in general) in the US?

No, Prosciutto is just boring. It's fine and tastes good, but there are better options. On that note, Edward's makes a "surryano" ham, which is an American country ham made in the style of serrano (produced in Surry County, hence the name), and it is unbelievably good.

The variety of cured meats and sausages you can get in the European ham belt in general is pretty nuts. It is a bit sad that the well marketed serrano, and previously parma, ham are the only ones with any real awareness. Cured meats from beef, and other livestock, not just pork, a wide variety of cured and smoked sausages, varieties of speck which are mostly unctuous fat (which doesn't sound appetizing unless you tried it).

One big note I'd make about cured meat, especially if you get it pre-sliced, is that you should eat it pretty quickly. Good cured meat doesn't go off, that's not the issue, its more that the flavor of the fatty bits of the salami, ham etc, will turn if left exposed to the air; which it will be if you store it sliced.

Surryano wise I never tried it I haven't tried it but now want to. In general, I'd say the good domestic stuff is most likely better than 95% of the stuff you get imported. That goes for everywhere about as much as it does for the US. Of course that does mean you have to somewhat make do when it comes to stuff with zero domestic supply.

Italians would be shocked at what generally passes as Italian olive oil over here, I can't find Gruyere that stacks up with what I could get back in Switzerland, and I generally wouldn't touch tequila or mezcal in Europe, etc, etc.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

GTO posted:

If you go to a "proper" deli or high end supermarket you'll often see whole cured meats hanging up for sale. They're sealed and refrigerated when sliced though.

Wait, hang on. Does that mean after I cut open a kangaroo salami I should have kept it in the fridge instead of the pantry? :ohdear:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Munin posted:

How little can something be cured but still be called salami (or cured meat in general) in the US?

https://www.fsis.usda.gov/sites/default/files/media_file/2021-03/fplic-5a-cured-meat-and-poultry-operations.pdf

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/9/part-319/subpart-D

https://www.fsis.usda.gov/sites/default/files/import/Labeling-Policy-Book.pdf

quote:

SALAMI:
A dry sausage that requires an MPR of 1.9:1 or less. Extenders and binders are permitted.
It may be cooked to shorten drying period.

"cured" varies by product in terms of the standard of identity. Other standards for specific salami types also exist.

Don't have time atm to get the specifics, but these are the sources you want.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jun 23, 2021

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I love washed rind / smear-ripened cheese, particularly those with a springy compared to runny consistency, like most Chaumes. What are some other European cheeses in this category I might enjoy, particularly ones with edible and tasty rinds?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

thotsky posted:

I love washed rind / smear-ripened cheese, particularly those with a springy compared to runny consistency, like most Chaumes. What are some other European cheeses in this category I might enjoy, particularly ones with edible and tasty rinds?

Quadrallo de Buffala. Really nice buffalo milk milk cheese with a nice firm texture

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

do you handle vegan cheeses as well, or is that a different department?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

HookedOnChthonics posted:

do you handle vegan cheeses as well, or is that a different department?

That is a different department, falls under grocery.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
more like grossery

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

thotsky posted:

more like grossery

To be fair, the vegan cheese market has exploded in the past couple years. There are a fuckin massive amount of offerings of really great quality, with prices that are steadily dropping.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

To be fair, the vegan cheese market has exploded in the past couple years. There are a fuckin massive amount of offerings of really great quality, with prices that are steadily dropping.

It's honestly pretty impressive. I'm not vegan and wouldn't go out of my way for it but I've had some perfectly respectable vegan 'cheese' at parties and the like and while very much not cheese, it can make for very reasonable nibblies.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I'm impressed how vegan cheese technology has advanced to get something that melts well.

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

we have a vegan fast food restaurant here in Tampa that makes their own vegan stuff including cheeses and the cashew cheese is really awesome

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Almond and cashew based stuff has seemed the best to me. The best one I’ve had isn’t vegan because it uses casein and almonds. But lactose free is my need.

Daiya almost always is gross.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Almond and cashew based stuff has seemed the best to me. The best one I’ve had isn’t vegan because it uses casein and almonds. But lactose free is my need.

Daiya almost always is gross.

Lactose free gives you loads of options. Goat and sheep cheeses are great for that, as is buffalo mozzarella (the process breaks the lactose down into lactic acid and other components). We have an aged goat cheddar that's excellent, and I just got a sheep milk cheddar in that we haven't cracked yet but I'm excited to try.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Quadrallo de Buffala. Really nice buffalo milk milk cheese with a nice firm texture

Subbed the typical mozzarella for this in the antipasto at my traditional italian wedding

Let me tell you my nonnas were proud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Lactose free gives you loads of options.

I’m horrifically sensitive unfortunately. I went about 25 years not realizing I was, which hosed my poo poo right up. I thought I had cancer bad. Even the aged cheddars are not low enough. A good aged Parma I’ve been able to tolerate. I loved cheese so much too.