Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Racing Stripe
Oct 22, 2003

Yeah, a field-shortening play, even one without a 90% of running the clock down to 0, would have to more than double the chances of the shot into the endzone connecting to be worth it. Sure seems like taking two [edit] 4% chances is better than trying to improve your odds to [edit] 5.8% and only getting one attempt, and 3/4 of the dumbshits watching at home would have been happy to tell McCarthy that at the time. But maybe you can pick up enough yards on that play that your one shot doesn't have to be a full-on hail mary.

Racing Stripe fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jan 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

if they had gotten the play off it would have been a little bit better because the umpire was allowing them to snap it from a few yards further than they should have

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

wyoak posted:

Tirico is normally good so I’ll blame it on him being distracted trying to save an absolute dud partner in Brees

maybe tirico got covid, that brain fog is no joke

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Play posted:

Oh we're doing this again! I'm unironically down

The one area where I agree with the sentiment is that 1 or 2 end zone shots from the 45 which I think is about where they were is tough. It's a long way. That's a full on hail mary with really no possibility of using routes or creativity to make it more high percentage. But where Dak went down that isn't quite true. Your options as far as play calls open up a lot and you don't just have to throw a moon ball up and pray that someone on your team comes down with it.

I still think it was the wrong call, but if they'd actually gotten a play off who knows

I still have to think that even if you want to shorten the field you line up for a hail mary and send everyone deep and have your speed run a cross or an out. The only thing you worry about then is a sack you have zero concern for just about anything procedural or fuckery.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
If you have 2 plays you have 2 chances to get a bullshit PI call. Even if it's called on the second try after time runs out you get an untimed down in that scenario.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Except short of going full last boy scout you're never getting a flag in that situation

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Silly Burrito posted:

I actually would prefer homer broadcasters. If I could get the home radio feed synced with the broadcast, that’s all I’d watch.

In the days before streaming video I listened to 49ers games overseas on web radio feeds. I miss Joe Starkey.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I was fortunate enough to catch that Yahoo "Fantasy" commentary a few years ago of several Jags fans continuously talking poo poo about the Jaguars during the entire game.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Except short of going full last boy scout you're never getting a flag in that situation

Eh, the Rams showed a few years ago that even going full Last Boyscout is still an option on the table.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Silly Burrito posted:

I actually would prefer homer broadcasters. If I could get the home radio feed synced with the broadcast, that’s all I’d watch.
The Cotton Bowl had broadcasts of the game/radio sync'd on ESPN+ and it was awesome in every way other than the outcome.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Looking back it’s wild that early internet radio streaming completely subverted the NFLs region/distribution laws and it took line five years for people to figure out how to legally stop it.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I'm sure most fanbases feel this way, but the radio broadcasters for the Bengals are a loving national treasure. Lapham and Hoard are both institutions and I'll be real sad when either one of them retires. Lapham has got to be in his sixties.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Eifert Posting posted:

I'm sure most fanbases feel this way, but the radio broadcasters for the Bengals are a loving national treasure. Lapham and Hoard are both institutions and I'll be real sad when either one of them retires. Lapham has got to be in his sixties.

:hellyeah:

Lapham losing his poo poo emotionally before the play by play can catch up always cracks me up

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Oh baby! Nice! Yeah!

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Cavauro posted:

if they had gotten the play off it would have been a little bit better because the umpire was allowing them to snap it from a few yards further than they should have

I can't imagine that wouldn't have been blown dead by NY if they allowed the snap.

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Dumb refs in The Last Boy Scout didn't even throw a flag

Racing Stripe
Oct 22, 2003

Is there an easy way to listen to the home broadcast when you’re out of market? I remember trying a few years ago and being pretty shocked at how hard it was to find a stream of a radio broadcast.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Racing Stripe posted:

Is there an easy way to listen to the home broadcast when you’re out of market? I remember trying a few years ago and being pretty shocked at how hard it was to find a stream of a radio broadcast.

I've used the TuneIn Radio app's free trial to listen to Patriots games from California on road trips, worked well as long as your cell connection holds.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Racing Stripe posted:

It should be easy but it's not, its bizarre.

Fate Accomplice posted:

I've used the TuneIn Radio app's free trial to listen to Patriots games from California on road trips, worked well as long as your cell connection holds.

When I tried this it refused to work for some reason

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1D-9OruLlQ

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I use an app called football radio, it usually has a useable feed

E: wait nm I forgot it stopped working, this site sometimes has links that work, worth a shot :shrug:

https://www.free-sportsradio.com/scores/nfl

SilvergunSuperman fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jan 21, 2022

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

SiriusXM has local calls if you spring for the big NFL package, but if you don’t you still get the Sunday Drive, which is basically a radio Red Zone and it kinda owns

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The Chiefs radio guy has a great voice and lots of nicknames and classic moments but is a giant chud goon personally and any of his opinions on actual football are beyond stupid, like him wanting to take a corner instead of Mahomes in the draft.

Also it doesn't help that the first Chiefs radio guy before him was none other than Kevin Harlan, Absolute Legend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

kiimo posted:

The Chiefs radio guy has a great voice and lots of nicknames and classic moments but is a giant chud goon personally and any of his opinions on actual football are beyond stupid, like him wanting to take a corner instead of Mahomes in the draft.

Also it doesn't help that the first Chiefs radio guy before him was none other than Kevin Harlan, Absolute Legend.

Just imagine if the Chiefs had jumped up to take Lattimore and left Mahomes to the Saints.

:sigh: