Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Third is strong but I think second is best because accelerating from stopped is the most fun

when ive borrowed my parents huge engined estate, stepping on it in 4th when the guy going <70 in the fast lane finally gets the gently caress out of everyone's way is also p good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

CharlesM posted:

Actually when I've been there in modern times it's been normal enough. I was there as a kid back when it was Czechoslovakia and things were a bit scarier. I didn't think anybody was going to call me out on my BS posting :P

It definitely improved massively recently, though still not to the level of Western Europe:

And there are at least a few other posters here who could call you out on this :)

jBrereton posted:

lol if your car doesn't have five gears + reverse
Old school four on the floor, bitch!

E: Favorite gear is either 2 or 3, leaning to 2 now. First is too short and useless, fourth you're already going too fast. Second is great for punching it out of tight corners and racing on smaller kart tracks till redline. Third is great for most public roads.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Nov 24, 2016

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Jonny 290 posted:

whats yr favorite gear? mine's third

2nd. I recently rebuilt the head on my car and then took the car to a sprint track to I guess figure out whether the rebuild was solid. Spun the wheels off the line every time, into 3rd for the straight then down into 2nd for the rest of the track, bouncing it off redline all the way round.

Manual gears are fun as gently caress

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I drive the snake pass every month or so

Roll down the windows, blast led zep iv and floor it

it's an amazing road and I can't imagine not having manual gears being any good with the constant gradient changes and tight corners and limited overtaking opportunities

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
apart from the ones with the floor it button possibly

but even then how will you feel like a rally driver

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
The only redeeming thing about a cross country trip is the ubiquitous decent Mexican (Tex-Mex?) food that is now present. Before it was mostly awful diner food sharply fried and gross.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

mobby_6kl posted:

It definitely improved massively recently, though still not to the level of Western Europe:

And there are at least a few other posters here who could call you out on this :)

Old school four on the floor, bitch!

E: Favorite gear is either 2 or 3, leaning to 2 now. First is too short and useless, fourth you're already going too fast. Second is great for punching it out of tight corners and racing on smaller kart tracks till redline. Third is great for most public roads.

That's actually a massive improvement for all the countries. Most countries are more than halved! Look at Latvia & Iceland too. I guess modern vehicle safety devices are really helpful, unless people all spontaneously got to be a lot better drivers.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

wide stance posted:

The only redeeming thing about a cross country trip is the ubiquitous decent Mexican (Tex-Mex?) food that is now present. Before it was mostly awful diner food sharply fried and gross.

Airbnb and tripadvisor meant we stayed in awesome places cheaper than motels basically the whole trip ($60 a night for a double room on manhattan, in a flat with a friendly host who wingmanned me with her friend, that was the easiest 5* review I gave), and between host recommendations and just looking places up we had like one or two bad meals the entire trip, aside from the occasional necessary fast food on long stretches of interstate. I stuck to Tex mex in places where that was appropriate. California burritos are the poo poo. Brunch places are ridiculous. I put on 14 pounds in a couple months.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Automatic transmissions are vehicular cuckoldry

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

various cheeses posted:

Automatic transmissions are vehicular cuckoldry

*shifts lever into D*
*posts on alt-right message boards*
"yeah baby"

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
If you find driving enjoyable you are probably not a person who should be trusted with a car

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
What do you find enjoyable, friend? :allears:

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

gently caress the mods posted:

So for years we've all had to listen to teens/man-children in lovely japanese hatchbacks justify various aspects of their poo poo mobile, and one of the more common aspects sperged over was automatic vs manual transmission. Now if you have car aspergers then I understand you cannot help it, but many of these types are really just poors. Fact: my automatic transmission shifts faster than your manual transmission and gets better gas mileage. Another fact is even if I want to "feel in control" (another common justification used by poors) by choosing my own bespoke artisinal gear I still have manual electronic shifting available which is also faster than your manual transmission. If you're driving a manual transmission and don't have car aspergers you're either a poor, an idiot, or both - to these people I would suggest getting a better job once you move out of the city you grew up in so you can afford a real car with an 8+ speed automatic transmission only. In closing: manual transmissions are the fixie bikes of the car world - bought by people on the spectrum or by non-self-aware poors. Thank you for your time.

Post this in AI like a man.

bigfatdynamo
May 10, 2016

When I'm dead, just throw me in the trash.
can someone pls explain to me why my gear stick is on my steering wheel and literally everyone elses is on the floor (i mean i get some sweet room between the seats but otherwise wtf)

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Monkey Fracas posted:

CVTs should be good because they can theoretically hold the car at optimum RPMs but every single one I've driven is like the least responsive thing ever

*puts foot on floor*

*transmission talking in fat guy voice*

"whooaa just hold on a second buddy *grunt unnrrggh* OK here we gooougghhh"

I just got a hybrid with CVT and it's perfectly responsive unless it's in Eco mode. You set it in sport mode and it really goes.

I just wish it had a little panel for monitoring the inverters and MGs temperatures in real time.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

mobby_6kl posted:

Yes it's definitely an American thing because they don't trust themselves to put it in neutral before starting.

Can confirm. Owned a 1990s GM generic shitbox with a 5-speed manual transmission. Wouldn't start unless clutch held down.

Also owned a same-vintage, also manual BMW, which would.

frumpykvetchbot fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Nov 25, 2016

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

CharlesM posted:

That's actually a massive improvement for all the countries. Most countries are more than halved! Look at Latvia & Iceland too. I guess modern vehicle safety devices are really helpful, unless people all spontaneously got to be a lot better drivers.
Bit of both, also the early 1990s were like 4th-hand West German Cast Off Beamer / Audi Hell Zone, especially in places where there was some liberalisation of how much you could drink and drive. They chopped down many of the lovely treelined backroads in East Germany because people were drunk driving very powerful cars right into the fuckin side of em.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I'm now sat wondering how boring the F&F films would be if they were filmed in automatic cars. How do you let viewers know that you're going fast if all you're doing is sitting in a seat, both hands on the wheel with your foot on the go pedal? You can't, so gently caress autos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpeQWxsN_Fo

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I'm now sat wondering how boring the F&F films would be if they were filmed in automatic cars. How do you let viewers know that you're going fast if all you're doing is sitting in a seat, both hands on the wheel with your foot on the go pedal? You can't, so gently caress autos.

I like how there is a really varied and diverse selection of knobs in that video. Some of them are really long and thick, but some are really short and stubby, and it's kinda nice that you can still have a cool cinematic shift even if you have a tiny stick.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Some movies have car chases with autos and they'd frequently cut to a foot going from gas to brakes and that's it. Looks kinda lame.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

frumpykvetchbot posted:

Can confirm. Owned a 1990s GM generic shitbox with a 5-speed manual transmission. Wouldn't start unless clutch held down.

Also owned a same-vintage, also manual BMW, which would.

Old (80's)Toyota 4x4 trucks had both a clutch interlock and a dash-mounted clutch-interlock defeat switch, for when you're hanging off the side of a mountain, stall the engine, and don't dare remove your left foot from the brake.

Btw, large Class 8 semitruck tractors have had clutch interlocks for a long time, the old Freightliner Columbia I used to drive had one.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

unpacked robinhood posted:

Some movies have car chases with autos and they'd frequently cut to a foot going from gas to brakes and that's it. Looks kinda lame.
They race automatic chargers in 6, it's pretty (auto-)tragic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpeQWxsN_Fo&t=108s (turn on quarter speed)

RobattoJesus posted:

I like how there is a really varied and diverse selection of knobs in that video. Some of them are really long and thick, but some are really short and stubby, and it's kinda nice that you can still have a cool cinematic shift even if you have a tiny stick.

It's not really about the size of your stick, but how you use it. Granny shifting and not double clutching will not get you anywhere.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Nov 25, 2016

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

JnnyThndrs posted:

Old (80's)Toyota 4x4 trucks had both a clutch interlock and a dash-mounted clutch-interlock defeat switch, for when you're hanging off the side of a mountain, stall the engine, and don't dare remove your left foot from the brake.

Btw, large Class 8 semitruck tractors have had clutch interlocks for a long time, the old Freightliner Columbia I used to drive had one.

They actually put the starter crawler feature in the FJ Cruiser.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
I am scared of being stuck in my car forever since it seems that if you want a manual in the US these days you have to buy the least-expensive car to get one, and since not having every single toy offered sucks rear end I'm really hoping that manuals don't fully die off. I don't think they will though, manual fans are a very vocal minority.

Also, the funny thing is that for a little while, CVTs were the hot poo poo on the block (they pretty much all suck though) and regular automatic trannys were a cheap option. Nowadays though, automatic transmissions are actually pretty sick in the nicer, more powerful cars. If you've been in a powerful, newer Mercedes or BMW with an automatic, they're smooth and fast as gently caress. My old manager had an S-Class and that thing would be going WAY too fast with just a few seconds of hard acceleration. From a standstill on the start of a highway on-ramp you're over 100mph before you even need to turn on the turn signal to merge.

Much faster than regular manual transmissions too. Not quite as fun though, even with the flappy-paddles.

Tumble fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Nov 25, 2016

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
After my wife and I got married, we decided to get a new car that was more family oriented. I had a garbage saab 9-3 convertible at the time so we took that to trade it in. My wife wanted a four door automatic but there was a reasonably priced honda civic manual available. I had owned the same model/year car previously and really liked it so we bought it and I made her drive it the 45 miles home from the dealership. She figured out how to drive stick by the time we arrived and now, many years and cars later, she cannot stand automatics and only drives stickshifts.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

The only thing I miss about my old standard transmission cars is being able to push in the clutch to coast and let off speed without hitting the brakes.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

EX250 Type R posted:

After my wife and I got married, we decided to get a new car that was more family oriented. I had a garbage saab 9-3 convertible at the time so we took that to trade it in. My wife wanted a four door automatic but there was a reasonably priced honda civic manual available. I had owned the same model/year car previously and really liked it so we bought it and I made her drive it the 45 miles home from the dealership. She figured out how to drive stick by the time we arrived and now, many years and cars later, she cannot stand automatics and only drives stickshifts.

Saab once made a transmission called "Sensonic" which was semi-automatic shifting. You still got to row through gears, but the clutch was automated. It was generally thought of as a complete piece of poo poo, but it's a neat little automotive history tidbit.

Tumble fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Nov 25, 2016

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
VW made one too, back in the air cooled days, called 'automatic stickshift'. I've driven one, just makes the already-slow Beetle even slower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
when i think about you

i clutch myself

• Locked thread