Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Huh?

e: Mega's stream link on previous page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
That was simultaneously harder and easier than I thought.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Bonus Chapter 4 - Solo Dark Knight Cecil Run

This was also streamed. If you're curious, here are the episodes.

Mega64 posted:

Bonus Chapter 4 - Solo Dark Knight Cecil Run
--- Stream Episodes: [1] | [2] | [3]

This run will be much shorter, as I skip over everything that isn't a boss.

As before, Golbez starts off not doing anything but countering physicals. He has 30k HP, and he starts his attack pattern upon hitting 20k HP.

Dark Holy is a bit much for me, so I grind a bit and also gear up to boost magic defense/evasion as high as I can get it.

This extra bit is enough to make me survive Dark Holy, and I go into a pattern of X-Potion/X-Potion/Fight/Fight until I finally defeat Golbez in a very, very slow fight. I burn through 40-50 X-Potions doing this.

Pale Dim is a joke as before, but I find an interesting glitch.

If I switch mid-battle to the Avenger, I go Berserk but with the old weapon and armor I have equipped. Thus a Berserk Cecil attacks Pale Dim with the Blood Sword, which is actually unoptimal since it's nonelemental and thus won't wreck the holy-elemental Pale Dim like the dark-elemental Avenger would have. However, it does mean I can leave to use the bathroom and get more beer while gameplay is technically happening, so it works itself out.

I test this glitch out again and find out you keep the shield's effects too, so I automate this fight too.

Since I can't just magic them away, I figure the best way to cheese this is to boost my magic defenses and hope DK Cecil can equip the Robe of Lords like PAL Cecil can to reduce the Ice3 damage.

Likewise, the physicals are deadly enough I decide to hold off on this fight.

Also, this area was oddly difficult in general because for some odd reason DK Cecil just wanted to take his time running away. I had a couple wipes due to his casual pace killing him.

The good news is the Lord of Robes is indeed equippable by DK Cecil.

This made the Dark Lunar fight much more manageable, and I kept myself healed until three rounds later they started killing each other with Ice3, netting me the Hades Gauntlet and, more importantly, the Ribbon.

Wyvern was significantly easier than I expected. With the Ribbon and Lord of Robes, I could easily tank his magic attacks, and at this point I could do over a thousand damage with the Blood Sword, so I was effectively immortal. I even did the Avenger glitch here because why not.

Reminder that DK Cecil's strongest weapon outside the Deathbringer is tied between the Blood Sword and the Avenger at 100 power. The Deathbringer is 200 power. Meanwhile PAL Cecil gets the Defender (125), Excalibur (150), and the Ragnarok (175). DK Cecil has a bit of a bad power curve against his favor.

Ogopogo gets manageable with the extra offense, but honestly it was the extra levels more than anything, since later I switched to Blood Sword, and at that point I was healing more than he dealt even with Tidal Wave. The key point is I bulked up on defense since the only things that matter are his physicals, since Tidal Wave does set damage based on Max HP.

As for the final boss, Zeromus...

...was a complete and utter joke. Yes, this run started off more difficult than Paladin Cecil, but by the end it could literally be automated. It probably helped I opted to equip the Lord of Robes here, since its high magical defenses were much more useful against a foe that only casts magical attacks. So once again, I donned the Blood Sword and then did the Avenger glitch to Berserk myself with the Blood Sword.

Zeromus was completely helpless against me. This was the easiest FF boss fight I had since the time I fought Neo Exdeath with White/Red/Bard/Chemist and prebuffed to the point where I Holy-ed NED to death before it got a single turn.

At any rate, this run also has a unique feature.

IT WAS ALL A loving DREAM

Actually, this is a pseudo-new game plus. Cecil keeps his stats, and his inventory and cash are the same, though the other characters are at their defaults.

So if you want, you can just steamroll through the game again with little effort. But hey, might as well make my own ending, right?

Upon reaching this point, Cecil realizes he has no reason to follow the king's orders. He chooses to go back to Baron and question the king, only to discover the plot unfolding in Baron. Since he's L55, Cecil quickly murders the fake king and captures Golbez, thus foiling the plot in Baron. With the dark deed vanquished, the Water Crystal is restored to Mysidia, Rydia's mother lives, everyone lives happily ever after, and most importantly The After Years never happens.

The End!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

And other than some random FF4kster overview I may or may not do later, I am now officially done with this Let's Play! Thanks for following along as usual!

Since I've got a vacation coming up, the next LP won't be until next month. I have an idea of what I want to do next, but as usual I'll probably be doing something completely different once I actually start it up.

Until next time!

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Well that definitely is a reward. :stare:

Thanks again for LPing this. I had a lot of fun playing along

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The game pulled the "it was all a dream" twist? Seriously? :magical:

Thanks for the LP, Mega! This was interesting.

SirSystemError
Jan 3, 2018

Thanks for the LP. Was definitely a nice trip down memory lane. Missed the stream earlier today due a late start. Read up on what happened myself though. It's pretty amusing. And still a better twist to the story than The After Years.

It'd be a shame not to do a FF4kster bit, as here's plenty of interesting unused stuff you can find by messing around with walk through walls or by searching through the messages portion.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

That wasn't a bad hack. It had some moments, but still, not bad.

Thanks for the LP!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

That ending was... Uh... You know, if it actually ended as "it was all a dream, Cecil and Kain set out to deliver the parcel" it probably wouldn't bother me that much. That it's a psudo-NG+ though is either one of the dumbest or greatest moves ever. Why have a NG+ when characters lose their equipment when they leave the party? If you forget to unequip their stuff, it's lost until you get it again. Can you return to Baron and confront the king? Would the program allow for a "what if" storyline?

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Randalor posted:

That ending was... Uh... You know, if it actually ended as "it was all a dream, Cecil and Kain set out to deliver the parcel" it probably wouldn't bother me that much. That it's a psudo-NG+ though is either one of the dumbest or greatest moves ever. Why have a NG+ when characters lose their equipment when they leave the party? If you forget to unequip their stuff, it's lost until you get it again. Can you return to Baron and confront the king? Would the program allow for a "what if" storyline?

Remember, this hack doesn't exist to show the guy's story telling skills. It exists to show what you can do with FF4kster. This isn't someone's magnum opus, this is a big example of how ambitious you can get.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Who cares, it's funny

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
:wtc:

Was the writer drunk?

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Kurui Reiten posted:

Remember, this hack doesn't exist to show the guy's story telling skills. It exists to show what you can do with FF4kster. This isn't someone's magnum opus, this is a big example of how ambitious you can get.
And frankly, if you hold the story to the standards of “fan made changes” rather than “written by an actual corporation paying writers”...well, it’s actually not-awful. Given the level of changes involved in the mod, it could be much much worse.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
It isn’t violently homophobic or sexist, so I can forgive it.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I think implementing a NG+ in a SNES game is a brilliant achievement, and if it works with Cecil, I'd imagine it would work with other characters too - probably something with overwriting character slots or something, I'm not an expert. Not easy to do (otherwise he might already have done it), but it shows the potential the tool has quite nicely, and thus I'd say it's a resounding success. If enough people get interested, I could see them implementing stuff like NG+-only chests (quick and dirty: Level 50+ monsters guarding ones in areas you can only visit early game) and superbosses. Hell, crafty players might then even discover ways to do them in NG regardless, for a Chrono Trigger-style early Lavos-esque challenge.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I know that the mod was meant as a tech demo, and I know that implementing NG+ into a game that didn't support it originally is a good technical achievement, it just bugs me that you can't do anything with it other than start off with a high level character and carry over all of the equipment. Although I am curious if you could implement Mega64's ending where you can actually confront the king instead of blowing up a town. Just have it as a high-level boss that triggers a different end cutscene when beaten? How flexible is the system for modifying monsters anyways?

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Bogart posted:

It isn’t violently homophobic or sexist, so I can forgive it.

Not an empty quote

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Randalor posted:

I know that the mod was meant as a tech demo, and I know that implementing NG+ into a game that didn't support it originally is a good technical achievement, it just bugs me that you can't do anything with it other than start off with a high level character and carry over all of the equipment. Although I am curious if you could implement Mega64's ending where you can actually confront the king instead of blowing up a town. Just have it as a high-level boss that triggers a different end cutscene when beaten? How flexible is the system for modifying monsters anyways?

You could probably do it by having an item prompt come up when talking to the king, and having Zeromus drop an item in the solo Dark Cecil run (make two copies of Zeromus, one with the drop, one without) that triggers the alternate plot.

The other option would be to just reset most things back to the beginning when teleporting Cecil back to the start of the game, but put in a different set of events if you try to go back to talk to the king.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Maybe do something like have the option to question the king after being sent out, and it activates a damage tile one time under Cecil for an amount that would kill him early in the game but not ng+, and then trigger a full heal ala rubicante before fighting him if you survive it?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Choco1980 posted:

Maybe do something like have the option to question the king after being sent out, and it activates a damage tile one time under Cecil for an amount that would kill him early in the game but not ng+, and then trigger a full heal ala rubicante before fighting him if you survive it?

You can't die outside of battles so it'd have to be something like saying no in the Mist Cave allows you to battle with the guards outside the throne room that could only be won by an overpowered Cecil.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Why not just set a flag that isn't used in a New Game and have talking to the King check for it, and roll the new event choice if found? This doesn't have to be a super hacky "oh poo poo how do I get this to work" thing, flags aren't that complex.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

If you keep your inventory then maybe you could make Zeromus drop the dark matter which can serve as a key to unlock new content in ng+ or something

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Hell, I would settle for being able to return to the king, it giving a "Do you question the king's orders? Yes/No" prompt, and if you pick yes, you fight two high-level guard enemies (high enough that they would kill you at the start normally but low enough that you could easily win on NG+), and if you win that, you fight Cagnazzo and go from there.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

gently caress it It's St. Patrick's Day Eve and I want to do another dumb stream and Rydia has green hair so let's try a Rydia solo run because why not and maybe I'll do Rosa too because I'm predicting Rydia will be pretty drat easy and short due to her magic tankitude but on the other hand she has to fight the fiends so uh maybe not.

I'll shoot for 6:00PM EST tonight (sorry people not on the east US coast) on my stupid loving Twitch account. So literally one hour from now.

I may do a screenshot update too but I've got stuff to do next week so I may not pull it off in time.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Mar 16, 2018

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Stream is up!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Summary of the run attempt:

* Scarmiglione casts Petrify, which means anyone who isn't Cecil, Kain, or Cid is hosed on solo runs since those three get the only forms of petrification protection in the Aegis and Gold Shields. There's only two ways other characters can survive otherwise: Either have Cecil solo the final dungeon and get the Ribbons (among the other very useful gear in there) or use the Time Egg to stop Scarry and completely break the battle.

* For some odd reason, the otherwise godly magic tank Rydia would get her loving poo poo wrecked in by Golbez's Dark Holy. I really don't know what it was, even without any armor that might cause a darkness weakness and with maximum Shell spam with the Aura Staff it would do over 3k damage minimum. And since I already blew the Time Egg, I was screwed. I hated to do it, but I relied on the solo PAL Cecil run save with all the final dungeon armor so that I'd stand a chance...

*...except the Barbariccia swap still stumped me. Remember that the Time Egg disappears if you beat Zeromus (apparently there's some unused dialogue where he mentions nullifying the egg or whatever), so I couldn't skip this one. Anyway, she shows up when the second fiend formation goes below 20k HP, and she immediately starts with Magnet, which always inflicts Stop, and which even the Ribbon will not block because time magic is loving broken in this game. Then she casts a few bolt spells, then Globe99, which no matter what is instant death, all before you get a chance to act again. There's no way to break the scripting either since Rydia doesn't get access to Reflect, so she can't simply bypass that whole section.

I did beat Zemus at least, and that was actually a fun fight that required deft timing and memorizing his attack pattern, so I got a little bit of what I was hoping to achieve from this attempt. Otherwise...man, I wasn't expecting such a brick wall tonight.

Suffice to say there'll be no write up since I just mentioned everything relevant that happened. Still may get the FF4kster one up soon, though.

Thanks to everyone who watched!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Mega64 posted:

* For some odd reason, the otherwise godly magic tank Rydia would get her loving poo poo wrecked in by Golbez's Dark Holy. I really don't know what it was, even without any armor that might cause a darkness weakness and with maximum Shell spam with the Aura Staff it would do over 3k damage minimum. And since I already blew the Time Egg, I was screwed. I hated to do it, but I relied on the solo PAL Cecil run save with all the final dungeon armor so that I'd stand a chance...

Is the damage it deals based off a different stat? It might be dealing damaged based off of Spirit (or whatever stat is used for white magic calculations) instead of M.Def.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I’d imagine Vanilla Rosa would be a fairly fun SCC. Her bows can do decent damage and she won’t really need to Will boost, plus fun spells to fool around with and a lot of status spells actually do stuff in this game

SirSystemError
Jan 3, 2018

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I’d imagine Vanilla Rosa would be a fairly fun SCC. Her bows can do decent damage and she won’t really need to Will boost, plus fun spells to fool around with and a lot of status spells actually do stuff in this game

Having actually done this in vanilla, I can confirm that she is a fun SCC! Except when I needed to get Poison Arrow drops to defeat Cagnazzo. And the very early game as well when she's weak and likely to run out of arrows, though at least Pray can actually be useful there for free healing.

So an interesting thing I learned today: there's a version 4.0 for this hack in development, current being 3.1. Though all I've seen on it are a couple of videos of an alpha from early January that don't go very far in. Haven't watched them thoroughly yet to spot out any differences, besides seeing it now has a slightly modified title screen. But having played the earliest version of the hack and comparing it to this LP (notable additions include the solo content, character acquirement failsafes, and the Time Egg), it might just be further minor tweaks and maybe one notable addition.

SirSystemError fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Mar 28, 2018

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Glad to hear this is still getting worked on! Might have to give it a whirl once it’s out.

I actually have screenshots for the FF4kster update but I kinda ran out of time to make the update, so I probably won’t have that final update until April 7/8 or so. After that I’ll be done with this one and will focus on my next LP, among hopefully other projects.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
What's next on your "want to LP" list, Mega?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

It’s a secret (and based on history it’ll be a completely different game than any I may have planned earlier).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
A Secret eh? Are we talking a Secret of Mana Remastered LP? ;)

• Locked thread