Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

You definitely want to get Fume Knight/Raime's big sword, it's pretty much the best UGS in the game.

The Majestic Greatsword would also be cool to see but yeah you'd need to use a soul vessel.

Frionnel posted:

I know Geop probably won't do the side areas in the DLCs, but i was personally hoping he would stumble onto Sir Alonne.
Pretty sure he needs the Aerie thing for that too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rody One Half posted:

You definitely want to get Fume Knight/Raime's big sword, it's pretty much the best UGS in the game.

Unless it was nerfed at some point, if you hit the stats for it I think the Ivory King UGS is the best in terms of sheer damage

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

RBA Starblade posted:

Unless it was nerfed at some point, if you hit the stats for it I think the Ivory King UGS is the best in terms of sheer damage

Sounds like its time to power stance like a king.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

RBA Starblade posted:

Can you find the Ivory King’s UGGs?

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Geop has evolved to his perfect form.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxqfGpxET38

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

:stare:

(They absolutely punish co-op summons. I didn't realize, for a while, that they were non-hostile unless provoked/offended, so it was quite some time before I discovered the 'easy' way through the zone. Once I did, I still didn't realize exactly what the gimmick was, so I put down my white sign near the bonfire one time ... )

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Man, Aldia is kind of a d**k.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

I was so happy to find this thing's advert in the Kodak GAMER TAPE

Geop fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Nov 21, 2021

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The retooled Dragon Shrine is so cool, especially compared to the vanilla version, which was brutal.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
That dawn of the nineties tape footage was wild.

And happy 100th episode! :toot: It's... been a long road.

It's still interesting hearing about all the differences between Scholar of the First Sin and Dark Souls 2 Classic. I came to the Souls games kind of late (after Bloodborne came out), so I blindly wandered into playing Scholar, and it's still the only way I've played it. The more I hear about its changes, the more I think that "oh, that's why I didn't like DS2 my first time through."

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Antistar01 posted:

It's still interesting hearing about all the differences between Scholar of the First Sin and Dark Souls 2 Classic. I came to the Souls games kind of late (after Bloodborne came out), so I blindly wandered into playing Scholar, and it's still the only way I've played it. The more I hear about its changes, the more I think that "oh, that's why I didn't like DS2 my first time through."
There are some interesting changes here and there in Scholar. Like the Dragon Knights in the last update were changed to not attack unless the player is ~dishonorable~, which kind of neat.
But overall I had more fun with the original Dark Souls 2. It had its faults, but there was less obnoxious bullshit.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Smaldia

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Antistar01 posted:

And happy 100th episode! :toot: It's... been a long road.

oh man it is too! congrats, Geop and co!

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

I love Tiny Aldia, because I think that was the first place I ever saw him.

Had no idea what was going on or what he was talking about.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Vavrek posted:

I love Tiny Aldia, because I think that was the first place I ever saw him.

Had no idea what was going on or what he was talking about.
You missed the Bonfire at the start of the catacombs AND did not light all 4 primal bonfires, instead going via the 1mio soul memory route? That's honestly impressive

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

In fairness I saw Aldia in all his normal appearances back when I played DS2 and I still didn't know what was going on or what he was talking about.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Simply Simon posted:

You missed the Bonfire at the start of the catacombs AND did not light all 4 primal bonfires, instead going via the 1mio soul memory route? That's honestly impressive

Maybe? I forget. I thought it was something like: I bought the DLCs, and so had already gone far in the game when Aldia was added, and then just didn't play much (I was pretty burnt out on DS2 by the time the DLCs came out). But I checked Steam and, unless the phone app is lying to me, I don't own the DLCs, just base DS2 and Scholar. (I thought I'd gotten the season pass before getting burnt out but I guess not.)

I enjoyed my time with Scholar a lot more, because I took a different approach than I had with base DS2, closer to what I did with DS1: read wikis, be massively overleveled, and break the game over my knee. So I might've made a straight line to Dragon Aerie at some point. (Skipping Catacombs for the moment, for whatever reason.)

Not lighting all the primal bonfires sounds very familiar, after thinking about it. I think at least once there was something else I had to do in the zone, or I just used a homeward bone, or I somehow died between the boss and the primal bonfire. So I probably skipped one, either just the bonfire or the Lord Soul and zone entirely, and was over 1M souls from all the overleveling I was doing.

I mean, or maybe it was this. This is very plausible:

Tenebrais posted:

In fairness I saw Aldia in all his normal appearances back when I played DS2 and I still didn't know what was going on or what he was talking about.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Antistar01 posted:

When I went from one to the other, it did feel like Scholar was more aimed at people who'd already played the original version. The way they moved items/enemies around felt like it made sense, and I enjoyed having some new challenges in areas that felt "solved," but a lot of it is at the expense of a smooth difficulty curve. If I didn't already have a good idea of how to deal with most of the basic enemies, how to navigate the surrounding areas, and how to build my character, it definitely would have got frustrating.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
If I remember correctly, you unfortunately missed out on Aldia's best line in my opinion by choosing "yes" there.

Although I could be wildly misremembering, I think he gives the "no matter how fleetingly beautiful, a lie is still a lie" line here? I always thought the delivery on it was good.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I miss the days when the WWE/F was good and the audience hurled cooked turkeys across the ring.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Scholar is 100% better than the base, a lot of the most annoying zones in the base game are fixed in Scholar.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
For all the good things Scholar did I really wish they hadn't moved all these petrified people around near-arbitrarily. And I wish they'd remixed the DLCs. Shulva is fine I guess but there's some dire enemy placement in the other two.

Obligatum VII posted:

If I remember correctly, you unfortunately missed out on Aldia's best line in my opinion by choosing "yes" there.

Although I could be wildly misremembering, I think he gives the "no matter how fleetingly beautiful, a lie is still a lie" line here? I always thought the delivery on it was good.

Pretty sure that one happens in the catacombs. I could be mistaken, though. It's been a loooooong time since I played this AND listened to any of the dialogue.
That line is delivered really well, though. Super intense all of a sudden, not something you usually get in a Souls game.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
I legitimately had a copy of the Tommy Smothers Yo-Yo Man video and watched it constantly. That was more fun than those DLCs you suffered through.

Golbez fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Nov 24, 2021

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Update coming tomorrow! Some real-life stuff happened when I was on the tail end of editing, then ENDWALKER and oops

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Sorry for the delay! Planned to put this up a few days ago but I had an eleventh-hour audio problem to iron out.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
The giants seem to have undergone some very interesting design changes during development:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3rB_8I7LZg

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I forgot about the time limit in the memories/time-travel bits - bleh. Can't stand arbitrary time limits in games. I wonder why they did it that way?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Antistar01 posted:

I forgot about the time limit in the memories/time-travel bits - bleh. Can't stand arbitrary time limits in games. I wonder why they did it that way?
I assume it was to add tension; the memory sequences would actually be pretty easy if you could just snipe/magic everything from a distance. This way, you are forced to take risks.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Dec 12, 2021

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

The memories feel like a weird tacked on part to the end of the game for me. I never really liked them. There's a few of them and if they were one continuous area without a time limit I would probably think they are pretty cool. But it'd basically be the Forest of Fallen Giants again but somewhat less ruined.

The time limit isn't exactly thought out well too. After all, the timer keeps running during dialogue. Which I guess makes sense but is frustrating to the player.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
There are AI manipulating strategies that let you kill the Ancient Dragon without too much trouble. If you try to fight him normally, though, you will have a miserable time.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

BDA posted:

There are AI manipulating strategies that let you kill the Ancient Dragon without too much trouble. If you try to fight him normally, though, you will have a miserable time.

That makes it sound like it's super complicated. Really, you just want to figure out a good distance to stand in front of it to bait the fire breath attack and then stab it in the toe one or two times. There's also an attack that lets you attack the head for some extra damage.

Let's not forget stacking up on fire resist so you can survive one (1... yes a single one) attack.

It's tedious as poo poo and there's no real reason for why you might do it. The reward for it is... well. Not sure if this counts as a spoiler but I'll at least say it's not worth it under any circumstances.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I too would try holding with both hands.

I bet that dragon would enjoy a hug.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

IGgy IGsen posted:

That makes it sound like it's super complicated. Really, you just want to figure out a good distance to stand in front of it to bait the fire breath attack and then stab it in the toe one or two times. There's also an attack that lets you attack the head for some extra damage.

Let's not forget stacking up on fire resist so you can survive one (1... yes a single one) attack.

It's tedious as poo poo and there's no real reason for why you might do it. The reward for it is... well. Not sure if this counts as a spoiler but I'll at least say it's not worth it under any circumstances.

Sure, it's not complicated, but it is very specific. Plus if you mess up you almost certainly die. I don't even remember why I did it since there are no achievements or collection items for it.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

IGgy IGsen posted:

I had to look up the reward to remember what it was and, uh, wow. It's not actually nothing, but it's not far off.

I know I did it, once, by stacking max fire resist. I don't really remember how well it went, as it was a while ago.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

How to find the second boss:
1) follow the path
2) don't leave the path

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
3) Don't get into fights!
-immediately starts fighting
4)Don't touch the thorns
-immediately runs into spikes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Do as I say, not as I do!