Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Gripweed posted:

Is that really such a big ask?

LEG sounds like it's the bad sequel to ARM.

LxG has an x in it, that way you know it's superhero poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

ruddiger posted:

When it got into the third act, I was convinced we were going to get nuke worshipping inbred mutant people ala Beneath the Planet of the Apes and was really let down when that wasn’t the case.

Literally anything would be better.

Like, the twist that "a device that will let humans speak again" refers to the internet earns a shrug. Fully intelligent people spend 300 years trying to access satcom because, what, they couldn't crack ham radio?

The big threat is that the crazed idiot apes are gonna get ahold of some guns and stuff, but what's he going to do when the bullets run out? What are they going to do with a bunch of tanks and humvees when there's no gasoline? You could excuse it as another sign of the bad fascist's delusions, but they keep showing the ubiquitous stun-prods they're using a weapons and I'm wondering where they're getting the batteries from. Are they chaining a bunch of potatoes together?

Episodes 1-3 didn't have this problem, of course, because they were set only a few years after the collapse (and they were just smart about this). But Planet Ape 4 fully transitions into a fantasy movie with electricity-themed magic. Like, it's not that the idiot apes confuse technology with sorcery; they're actually totally correct about how it works. And that, in turn, affects how we're to read the movie - because, like, what's the mechanism whereby Thulsa Doom becomes a snake? Imagery like that would be a lot more honest.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
What's funny is that a major plot point a Greek slave teaching a visionary leader about the Roman political system - an important developmental technology already brings Proxima Caesar closer to his goal. Amusingly, a straight lift from NEW VEGAS. Really enjoyed the Rey Palpatine-ish secondary villain, though.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

What's funny is that a major plot point a Greek slave teaching a visionary leader about the Roman political system - an important developmental technology already brings Proxima Caesar closer to his goal. Amusingly, a straight lift from NEW VEGAS. Really enjoyed the Rey Palpatine-ish secondary villain, though.

Well, that’s what pisses me off; Proximus’ ‘innovation’ is slavery, but we’re really shown nothing of the economics of it. It genuinely seems like an rear end-backward situation where Proximus begins practicing slavery in order to unlock that stage on the tech tree: “If I begin enslaving people, it’ll increase my population and I can assign them to tasks beyond hunting and gathering.” And it’s all very much a means to an end.

It’s frustrating when “chimpanzees trying to reverse-engineer human technology” is such a slam-dunk concept to explore, but all the characters are plagued with an incuriosity that doesn’t read as satire so much as romcom-style idiot plotting. They meet the equivalent of a talking dog and they don’t ask obvious questions, like, “how the gently caress are you talking?” or “are there more of you?”

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Is it just chimps now? Iirc in the og planet of the apes you had all manner of ape-types

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There’s some different apes. At least one gorilla, and a gay orangutan.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

From chimpan-a to chimpanzee

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Like I mentioned before this movie series is anti-bonobo propaganda. They're all the angry extremists of the series which is very unfair. Chimps are more violent!

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Jay Rust posted:

Is it just chimps now? Iirc in the og planet of the apes you had all manner of ape-types

A major failure with this one is that there’s only one gorilla and one orangutang.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Orangutans are best apes so at least the new series has represented them well with one good character. But yeah, so pro chimps.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Well, that’s what pisses me off; Proximus’ ‘innovation’ is slavery, but we’re really shown nothing of the economics of it. It genuinely seems like an rear end-backward situation where Proximus begins practicing slavery in order to unlock that stage on the tech tree: “If I begin enslaving people, it’ll increase my population and I can assign them to tasks beyond hunting and gathering.” And it’s all very much a means to an end.

It’s frustrating when “chimpanzees trying to reverse-engineer human technology” is such a slam-dunk concept to explore, but all the characters are plagued with an incuriosity that doesn’t read as satire so much as romcom-style idiot plotting. They meet the equivalent of a talking dog and they don’t ask obvious questions, like, “how the gently caress are you talking?” or “are there more of you?”

Yeah, I kept wondering if her speaking better English than you'd expect was supposed to mean something or if was the sort of thing you're supposed to ignore for the sake of it being a movie, like how feral humans still wear clothes hundreds of year later. Not a particularly interesting form of ambiguity. Given how little William H. Macy is in the movie, wouldn't be too surprising if stuff like that were part of the cut 30-40 minutes the director mentioned.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://x.com/richardbrake/status/1790506037402906853?s=46&t=GxZoSKgPzb_-zyUnvLFKvg

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He’s my pick for All Might for a My Hero Academia live action

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Planet of the Apes is a franchise I just can't crack. The sequels (possibly TV movies?) to the original are just the driest Sunday afternoon fodder and the TV show was in TV rotation when I was a kid along with stuff like Lost In Space and Land of the Giants and every episode seemed to last a decade.

I saw the Tim Burton version and (like the world generally) shrugged.

I also cannot get over the idea that, despite knowing they are scary and brutal, that monkeys are fundamentally silly, so occasionally I'll see a trailer for one of the new films and have no idea if it's a new reboot or a sequel and if its the second of eighth or whatever in the series. Kong is the same, just fundamentally too silly, and I wish they'd stop mixing him in with the fundamentally cool Godzilla.

Monkey movies should be like that Air Bud Productions spy monkey movies, not multipart sci-fi epics.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Apes aren’t monkeys…

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Disco Pope posted:

Kong is the same, just fundamentally too silly, and I wish they'd stop mixing him in with the fundamentally cool Godzilla.

https://twitter.com/LesFleursBloom/status/1789862831451435438

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It may not help then to mention there's been quite a few Planet of the Apes comics, including an apparently quite good series about an ape biker gang called The Humans. Which probably wouldn't get adapted, at least not with nearly as much graphic monkey sex, apparently.

Also, watch Nope. It shares a mocap primate actor.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Marvel had a Planet of the Apes comic that was a reworked War of the Worlds comic.

They renamed the main character from Killraven to Apeslayer and drew Apes over the martians.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 14:34 on May 15, 2024

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It may not help then to mention there's been quite a few Planet of the Apes comics, including an apparently quite good series about an ape biker gang called The Humans. Which probably wouldn't get adapted, at least not with nearly as much graphic monkey sex, apparently.

Also, watch Nope. It shares a mocap primate actor.

Graphic monkey sex would make a great username.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Disco Pope posted:

I also cannot get over the idea that, despite knowing they are scary and brutal, that monkeys are fundamentally silly,

It's really funny that a huge element of these movies is people being racist in this exact.way.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

FreudianSlippers posted:

Marvel had a Planet of the Apes comic that was a reworked War of the Worlds comic.

They renamed the main character from Killraven to Apeslayer and drew Apes over the martians.

Oh poo poo, I read Kilraven, that series wasn’t bad.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Going to put on Leonor Will Never Die tonight on https://goontu.be! 8pm ETish.

quote:

Fiction and reality blur when Leonor, a retired filmmaker, falls into a coma after a television lands on her head, compelling her to become the action hero of her unfinished screenplay.

Has been on my watchlist for awhile, I'm a sucker for plots of people in dire situations retreating to fantasy – The Fall, Pan's Labyrinth, etc. Has pretty solid reviews and is a Filipino film and directorial debut too which is neat. Join us round then for it, or don't.

Will Leonor die?? We'll have to see.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro6xty9NWe0
https://letterboxd.com/film/leonor-will-never-die/

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
The apes are silly but that's part of the charm. Think of a classic film and it would absolutely be upgraded if every character were an ape who grunted and softly hooted every ten minutes like the apes of the new series.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's really funny that a huge element of these movies is people being racist in this exact.way.

"Why must they mock me and my tiny tricycle, if only there was a Planet of the Apes."

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Furiosa review embargo just lifted and they are largely glowing. A few folks seem to find it overstuffed, but as many are calling it a masterpiece.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Mad Max overstuffed? Egad!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'm curious about how it does, but I suspect it'll do well. ATJ and Hemsworth are both pretty "in" to a degree Hardy and Theron weren't in 2015.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I expect it to be decent to okay

Segue
May 23, 2007

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Going to put on Leonor Will Never Die tonight on https://goontu.be! 8pm ETish.

Has been on my watchlist for awhile, I'm a sucker for plots of people in dire situations retreating to fantasy – The Fall, Pan's Labyrinth, etc. Has pretty solid reviews and is a Filipino film and directorial debut too which is neat. Join us round then for it, or don't.

Will Leonor die?? We'll have to see.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro6xty9NWe0
https://letterboxd.com/film/leonor-will-never-die/

Saw this at TIFF and it was a fun small movie with a lot of heart. Glad it got some legs!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

feedmyleg posted:

Furiosa review embargo just lifted and they are largely glowing. A few folks seem to find it overstuffed, but as many are calling it a masterpiece.
A movie with good critical reviews has never been bad!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I love the poo poo out of Fury Road and I'm only hoping for the best things from Furiosa

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I'm weirdly fascinated by what they'll do with Immortan Joe in this movie, like what will they do to make 'slaver rapist cult leader' the lesser evil in this case

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
I doubt he'll be a lesser evil so much as a means for Furious to get revenge on Hemsworth's warlord

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Blood Boils posted:

I doubt he'll be a lesser evil so much as a means for Furious to get revenge on Hemsworth's warlord

The enemy of my enemy is still my enemy but a useful tool.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Guessing Joe will present himself as a nice, moderate warlord and Furiosa only discover his "wives" at the very end after already having thrown in with him.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Furiosa still is stoked to rip his face off at the end of fury road so he isn’t blameless.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Schwarzwald posted:

Guessing Joe will present himself as a nice, moderate warlord and Furiosa only discover his "wives" at the very end after already having thrown in with him.

I'd guess he's going to be totally upfront with what a terrible piece of poo poo he is, but Furiousa's desire for revenge makes her grudgingly accept it.

It's like Mad Max 101, something horrible happens and someone is taken from you, so you do something horrific from which there is no coming back.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Segue posted:

Saw this at TIFF and it was a fun small movie with a lot of heart. Glad it got some legs!

Watched this! Leonor Will Never Die is, indeed, a gem, and I hope other's watch it. It's on Tubi, so you have no excuse not to check it out -> https://tubitv.com/movies/100016059/leonor-will-never-die

Meta is hard to pull off, but I think this does. One Letterbox'd review compared it 'One Cut of the Dead', and tbh that isn't unwarranted. You have characters reciting later dialog, scenes that rewind, and 3rd wall breaking scenes with the camera pulling out on scenes to reveal the actors are actors. But it never loses sight of it's through line, it's heart, and god dammit is it a gut punch. It's not about to win an Oscar, but it's a case of budget execution meeting ambition.

Perfectly handles doing 80's action schlock with a twist, in a way that celebrates it without being too saccharine.

I think it will stick harder with people who have lost a parent, but overall, it's really worth checking out. Starts a little slow, but goes off to the races soon enough.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 05:41 on May 16, 2024

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7368154048836406544

Do you understand, Alex? Do I make myself clear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004