Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Air Skwirl posted:

My only real problem with the new Dune is there's no bald five year old hissing "He IS the Kwitzach Haderach."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8-eiBqri0U

That fetus puts in a great performance in DUNC2 tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Aggro drift was both uncomfortable and hilarious, one of the most scathing statements on videogames I've ever seen. It's as videogamey as Hardcore Henry in its own way but it genuinely feels like it's more mocking the medium than anything.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

The Peccadillo posted:

Dont really know where to start with this

https://rarefilmm.com/browse/

Three thousandish rare and out of print movies

My mum called me and I mentiod it to her and she scrolled through sfuff and was like oh I saw this at the drive thru

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdQKhEnVfeE

Never heard of it, seems hilaruous

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

regulargonzalez posted:

It's a great movie with the flaw that every single thing presented as true in the movie is in fact not true, aside from the fact that Mozart wrote the pieces attributed to him. How much of a problem that is for the viewer really depends on what you want from it. But it's no more a biopic than Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter is.

You’re saying it’s all false but that it’s no more a biopic than ALVH! So which is it? Pick a side, dammit!

We are having a nasty dispute with a builder who has ripped us off, and my wife is on the war path. It has reminded me of the Intolerable Cruelty “nail his rear end” scenes, which I just re-watched. I know a lot of people consider it one of their weaker films, but I really love it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The people who took control from Lynch should be thrown into a sand worm imo

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
The reviews for Kinds of Kindness out of Cannes are good, just the right amount of praise and divisiveness to get me going. Though a 2h44m anthology is gonna be a test

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Mister Speaker posted:

Can anyone recommend any documentaries about big cats? Or cats in general really. Just looking for some good high-res footage of cats doing their thing in nature. I tried Big Cat Games on Disney+ but it's really much more of a circus than a documentary and that offends me.
The Velvet Queen

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Failed Imagineer posted:

The reviews for Kinds of Kindness out of Cannes are good, just the right amount of praise and divisiveness to get me going. Though a 2h44m anthology is gonna be a test

I mean, if any movie has the right to be 2 hours and loving 44 minutes long, it's an anthology.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Idk the best anthologies get in and get out quick

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Kwaidan is like 3 hours and that’s one of the best

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

CelticPredator posted:

Idk the best anthologies get in and get out quick

I am all for movies on the side of 90 minutes but you can just like, stop watching an anthology movie. It'd be like getting mad at Love Death & Robots having too many episodes.

Unless the connection between the parts has its own deeper purpose, of course.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Saw La Chimera last night.The film has a wonderfully grubby feel - even the characters living apparently comfortable lives do so in run-down places, and you can see why our protagonist would, with reluctance, fall back in with his band of tomb robbers. Tried to think of a film to compare it to, guess First Cow is kinda close in film terms, with its measured pace and low level crime, but at the same time eighties Italy is a very different vibe. There's definitely a sense of being haunted in more ways than one.

Ending: I felt a deep disappointment at the end of the film, and it took a little bit to disentangle that because it wasn't a disappointment in the film itself. It seemed like Arthur throwing the head away symbolised letting go of Beniamina, he was finally turning himself around and seeking a future with Italia. But he just couldn't help getting pulled back in for one last job...

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Grendels Dad posted:

I am all for movies on the side of 90 minutes but you can just like, stop watching an anthology movie. It'd be like getting mad at Love Death & Robots having too many episodes.

Unless the connection between the parts has its own deeper purpose, of course.

I watch movies in little increments all the time and I think that’s a pretty bad way to watch something.

The goat anthologies are Creepshow and Trick r Treat and those movies are a joy to watch from beginning to end. Nothings worse than an anthology with a bad ratio. Which is why I don’t really rewatch those vhs movies. Usually a cool segment

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Heavy_D posted:

Saw La Chimera last night.The film has a wonderfully grubby feel - even the characters living apparently comfortable lives do so in run-down places, and you can see why our protagonist would, with reluctance, fall back in with his band of tomb robbers. Tried to think of a film to compare it to, guess First Cow is kinda close in film terms, with its measured pace and low level crime, but at the same time eighties Italy is a very different vibe. There's definitely a sense of being haunted in more ways than one.

Ending: I felt a deep disappointment at the end of the film, and it took a little bit to disentangle that because it wasn't a disappointment in the film itself. It seemed like Arthur throwing the head away symbolised letting go of Beniamina, he was finally turning himself around and seeking a future with Italia. But he just couldn't help getting pulled back in for one last job...
Second favorite movie of this year after Love Lies Bleeding. Just fantastic. Brought to mind Solaris and Shinya Tsukamoto's Vital for some weird reason. Just this doomed death drive.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Out of interest, what percentage of La Chimera is in English vs other languages? Basically wondering how much will be subtitled and if I should go see it in the cinema vs being able to watch a fully subbed version at home in the future

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Most of it is subtitled. He occasionally speaks English either on his own or with Isabella Rossellini (and Rohrwacher's sister speaks some English at the end) but like 90% of it is in Italian.

I dug Happy as Lazzaro and Saint Maud as well so Alice Rohrwacher and Rose Glass really are my favorite directors to watch out for now.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Howard the Duck is really bad???

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Holy poo poo.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I was finally able to watch Vegas in Space! The micro-budget epic sci-fi comedy about three space agents who are transformed into women and disguised as lounge singers to sneak into the all-female planet Clitoris. Filmed almost entirely in one apartment, most of the sets were created by skillfully tacking up big sheets of neon fake fur. Which serves as the backdrops for a cavalcade of gorgeous green-skinned alien queens.

I liked it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Second favorite movie of this year after Love Lies Bleeding. Just fantastic. Brought to mind Solaris and Shinya Tsukamoto's Vital for some weird reason. Just this doomed death drive.

It reminded me most of Resnais's Je t'aime, Je t'aime. Top five of the year so far for me, but it's taking me some time to digest.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gonz posted:

Holy poo poo.

That’s cool yeah but spoiler adult coloring books have been around for a while.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

They are a big hit in rehabs

That one looks straight up awesome

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 03:46 on May 19, 2024

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gonz posted:

Holy poo poo.

Adult coloring books became a thing like a decade ago.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Lotta people offended by the idea that they didn’t already know about adult coloring books.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Twenty years

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Grownup blocks? Yeah, I’ve been into grownup blocks for a while. One time I built a tower as big as me. I got the alphabet ones, I can spell my name with them, no big deal.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Gripweed posted:

Grownup blocks? Yeah, I’ve been into grownup blocks for a while. One time I built a tower as big as me. I got the alphabet ones, I can spell my name with them, no big deal.

That seems fun if you actually did it

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

oh so that's what "Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion" is from

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Gripweed posted:

oh so that's what "Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion" is from

I, too, somehow watched Southland Tales years before I got around to Donnie Darko

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Kazzah posted:

I, too, somehow watched Southland Tales years before I got around to Donnie Darko

I am glad that I managed to avoid watching Donnie Darko when I was a teen, because I would have been so obnoxious about it. I was bad enough evangelizing Rushmore to anyone who wouldn't immediately get up and leave when I started talking, if I had known there was also a Dark Rushmore eventually someone would have killed me just to shut me up

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
When my highschool friends and I all watched DD together we ended up talking about the movie for a couple hours afterwards and by the end of the conversation I was so sick of it I came around to hating the movie. So in a sense it saved me from being an obnoxious teenager about DD with immersion therapy.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Donnie Darko first introduced me to the Seth Rogen HUEHUEHUE so I'll always remember it fondly

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I’m watching this movie Hopscotch, and the main guy looks nuts. He’s a human but he looks exactly like Droopy Dog.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Gripweed posted:

I’m watching this movie Hopscotch, and the main guy looks nuts. He’s a human but he looks exactly like Droopy Dog.

Gonna guess this is Jeremy Strong before I check the cast.

E: ok, it's an old movie so I guess not but are you talking about Walter loving Matthau? I mean you're not wrong but ...

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Gripweed posted:

You should watch the original The Taking of Pelham One Two Three. Great movie all around and Matthau's Droopy Dog face is utilized very effectively.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Flying Zamboni posted:

You should watch the original The Taking of Pelham One Two Three. Great movie all around and Matthau's Droopy Dog face is utilized very effectively.

Hopscotch didn’t give me much of a push to get really into Matthau. It’s like if ginger ale was a movie.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ginger ale is great

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Gaius Marius posted:

Ginger ale is great

I didn’t really mean it as an insult, I meant Hopscotch is a movie to watch if you have a stomach bug and can’t keep much down.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Gripweed posted:

Hopscotch didn’t give me much of a push to get really into Matthau. It’s like if ginger ale was a movie.

I haven't seen Hopscotch but Pelham is a very fast-paced, tense thriller that also stars Robert Shaw as the villain. You're missing out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Flying Zamboni posted:

I haven't seen Hopscotch but Pelham is a very fast-paced, tense thriller that also stars Robert Shaw as the villain. You're missing out!

The OG Pelham is one of those perfect films where every piece fits and every ounce of fat trimmed.