Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

one of them has a respiratory infection so I don't want to be spraying that junk around until it's cleared up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

speaking of respiratory infection! I'm giving both rats a course of Baytril at the moment for mild respiratory infections, nothing major and they got checked out at the vet about three weeks ago. However, I've noticed since around that time - before I actually started giving them the Baytril - they've been drinking a lot more water and doing some disgustingly smelly turds. They're otherwise perfectly active and their breathing is already loads better so I'm not too worried, just wondering if anyone has seen similar?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

"Food: Whatever
Habitat: Also Whatever"

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jul 25, 2016

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

buds

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Does anyone know if there's a proper rat documentary out there and if yes then where can I find it?

All I can find is documentaries about oooh scary plague rats and insane crazy rat owners who are drowning in plagued beasts while I just want to learn some more rat facts from a smooth-voiced gentleman while watching wild rats do their rat things.

Those are some cute buds.

Erostratus
Jun 18, 2011

by R. Guyovich
I have two rats. One is perfectly fine, smart, affectionate, and all around awesome. The other is easily frightened/startled, a little neurotic, doesn't seem to care for me much either way, and seems kinda damaged. He was a return at the pet store, so i felt bad for him and didn't want him to be put down.

Is there any way to "heal" or help him recover? Is that even possible for rats?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Erostratus posted:

I have two rats. One is perfectly fine, smart, affectionate, and all around awesome. The other is easily frightened/startled, a little neurotic, doesn't seem to care for me much either way, and seems kinda damaged. He was a return at the pet store, so i felt bad for him and didn't want him to be put down.

Is there any way to "heal" or help him recover? Is that even possible for rats?

Now I don't have any first-hand experience with this but I've heard similar stories.

It's always suggested to try to interact with neurotic rats without forcing them to do anything and eventually he/she should get used to you.
Yogurt works particularly well. Rats love it and the rat can't just take it and tun away.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
this site doesn't deserve my cute pet pics

Guy Mann fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Feb 24, 2019

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one

Guy Mann posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O0PxvYtDRk

I love that they dub squeaking noises over everything.

That heavy thump sound when one jumps is fuckin lol

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Guy Mann posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O0PxvYtDRk

I love that they dub squeaking noises over everything.

Ugh, this one.
It's not like that woman is a crazy rat hoarder either. From the few glimpses you get from her rat cages it seems like she's got 3 proper cages (male, female and isolation cages, I'd guess) that look reasonable clean, the rats look taken care of and her house isn't a mess.

Like come on, if you're gonna try to make rat owners look like insane people, at least find someone who's more than just slightly obsessed with rats.

Jack Trades posted:

Does anyone know if there's a proper rat documentary out there and if yes then where can I find it?

I found a pretty decent documentary about lab rats being released into the wild.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKjvz26FVZs

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jul 31, 2016

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Jack Trades posted:

All I can find is documentaries about oooh scary plague rats and insane crazy rat owners who are drowning in plagued beasts while I just want to learn some more rat facts from a smooth-voiced gentleman while watching wild rats do their rat things.

Those are some cute buds.

Oh man, there was one I watched years ago that was fantastic but I cannot remember it for the life of me. I think it might have been "Rats: The Great Underrated Pet".

In very sad news, Thursday morning I had to put down my oldest rat, Jasper. He'd sneezed up blood earlier in the week and had dropped from 600 mg to just about 400 in the span of a few weeks. he is survived by his (step)brother Hamilton, who's uh just about 2 lbs.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Guy Mann fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Feb 24, 2019

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

dovetaile posted:

Oh man, there was one I watched years ago that was fantastic but I cannot remember it for the life of me. I think it might have been "Rats: The Great Underrated Pet".

It definitely is a documentary but I cannot for the life of me find it ANYWHERE.

Guy Mann posted:

This is really cute. Even with the gangbangs and baby-eating.

Also urine-fueled central heating.

That ratty that was drinking with it's paw though. :3:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

oh no Dyna (white) has a lump under her arm, at least one :(

They were at the vet for a checkup recently and they didn't notice anything so it's definitely new, I think only in the last couple of days, so hopefully she'll be okay. Guess it might not be a tumour, but... rats, really.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Has anyone ever experienced suddenly becoming allergic to their rats? I've had my boys for a few months now, with no issues, but lately whenever I play with them, my arms turn bright red and itchy wherever they touch me like I suddenly developed a huge rash, and only where they touch.

I've grown pretty attached to them, but it's really unbearable, and some nights it gets to the point the worst places get really, really dry skin and start flaking.

I know I'm allergic to cats, so animal dander allergies aren't foreign to me, but I had zero issues with my boys until about three weeks ago. Has anyone heard of this, or know what I can do about it? Googling and the like only talks about being generally allergic and is basically "well don't be around rats, stupid".

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

Has anyone ever experienced suddenly becoming allergic to their rats? I've had my boys for a few months now, with no issues, but lately whenever I play with them, my arms turn bright red and itchy wherever they touch me like I suddenly developed a huge rash, and only where they touch.

I've grown pretty attached to them, but it's really unbearable, and some nights it gets to the point the worst places get really, really dry skin and start flaking.

I know I'm allergic to cats, so animal dander allergies aren't foreign to me, but I had zero issues with my boys until about three weeks ago. Has anyone heard of this, or know what I can do about it? Googling and the like only talks about being generally allergic and is basically "well don't be around rats, stupid".
I get allergic reactions to mine when they need cleaned out or are particularly scratchy - try cleaning them more often and maybe getting their nails trimmed.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Their nails are actually shorter than when I got them due to how I have their cage set up, so they scratch me less than before. I'll give their cage a good scrub and maybe even gently wash their paws and see if that helps.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Not mine but it's so adorable I had to post it.

Tofu Terry
Oct 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
^^ Awww :3:

So that elderly rat I adopted is still doing good. Here's him mid-wakeup on a food dish that once contained scrambled egg.

He's gained weight and has scared me a bit lately by sleeping hard. I've started calling that "going full ferret".

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Not mine but a very cute goofer:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Guy Mann fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Feb 24, 2019

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

I've definitely never heard of anything like that, it sounds strange.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

oh no Dyna (white) has a lump under her arm, at least one :(

They were at the vet for a checkup recently and they didn't notice anything so it's definitely new, I think only in the last couple of days, so hopefully she'll be okay. Guess it might not be a tumour, but... rats, really.
and now she's lost loads of weight. And may have another tumour but that was probably a given.

Heading straight to the vet on Monday, but I'm hoping she'll be alright. She's still super-active, bright-eyed, happy and has loads of appetite - no real change in behaviour or energy at all. Still, she feels so skinny and bony all of a sudden :( I know sudden weight loss isn't generally a good sign, could it just be a result of a few tumours suddenly developing?

edit: they're not tumours, they're weird explosions of mammary tissue! or something. and she's probably diabetic. A diabetic rat. For gently caress's sake

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Aug 15, 2016

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
http://i.imgur.com/1Yq8Vbu.mp4

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

and now she's lost loads of weight. And may have another tumour but that was probably a given.

Heading straight to the vet on Monday, but I'm hoping she'll be alright. She's still super-active, bright-eyed, happy and has loads of appetite - no real change in behaviour or energy at all. Still, she feels so skinny and bony all of a sudden :( I know sudden weight loss isn't generally a good sign, could it just be a result of a few tumours suddenly developing?

edit: they're not tumours, they're weird explosions of mammary tissue! or something. and she's probably diabetic. A diabetic rat. For gently caress's sake

I'm sorry about your girl. Rats are weird little boogers.

RainbowCake
Apr 1, 2010

Refurbished cats may have scratches, dents or other forms of cosmetic damage which do not affect the performance of the unit.
Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:

Guess which of these two assholes never moves unless forced? :ssh:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Awwww. :3:

It must be Exhibit A, cause you can see the chub chub on him.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Oh your second rat has an absolutely gorgeous color. I bet it's both. :3:

RainbowCake
Apr 1, 2010

Refurbished cats may have scratches, dents or other forms of cosmetic damage which do not affect the performance of the unit.

dovetaile posted:

Oh your second rat has an absolutely gorgeous color. I bet it's both. :3:

Thanks! :)

And yep, it's rat #1 (Nano) who is the lazy rat.
She weighs 570g as of the last vet weigh-in.
Pico, on the other hand, never stops moving, I think it took me about ten tries to get that picture.
They've got lots of toys, but all Nano wants to do is build nests to nap in and carry wooden blocks around (?)

The vet has checked her out and there is nothing wrong with her, she is just incredibly lazy.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

RainbowCake
Apr 1, 2010

Cup of babies!! :kimchi:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
http://i.imgur.com/5DMAsx6.gifv

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

D'awww! :shobon:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

https://i.imgur.com/Pn9TxBM.mp4

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Jack I love your rat

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Big Bug Hug posted:

Jack I love your rat

It's not my rat. I was just posting good ratty pictures.

Tofu Terry
Oct 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Alder died while I was holding him last night. :(

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Catnipped posted:

They're so short-lived. I'm sorry for your loss. :(

Tofu Terry
Oct 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, I adopted Alder because he was an older rat and I wanted to give him a nice time till he passed but it really doesn't get easier. Looks like it was that weird kidney issue older male rats get a lot (I've mostly owned female rats so I didn't know about that until recently).

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Catnipped posted:

Sorry for your loss, glad you could share his last moments. All of mine have died while I was at work or out running errands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

Ugh, I miss having rats so badly. My first pet rats ever died about half a year back. Four boys, two succumbed to a stroke, and the other two to cancer. They lived to be about 3. So I tried looking for some more rats when I felt that I was ready again.

Last I heard, the situation in my area is that some well-meaning lady tried taking care of rescue rats herself, but somehow they kept reproducing nonstop, and she ended up with about 80 or so rats, I think. So the rat rescue swooped them all in and tried putting them up for adoption at various locations. The shelter wouldn't sell the rats to people like me because I'm not experienced enough to handle rescues if they were going to be only my second-time rats. :( I put my name down saying I'm ready to adopt and they'll let me know when new rats come in. I've been waiting ever since.

Someone please post more ratty pictures.