Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minclark
Dec 24, 2013
So I realize this is a thread for chickens but there has been little discussion about turkeys and its to my understanding they are treated much the same as chickens. Could I possibly squeeze some turkey questions and disguise them in this chicken thread? Or does anyone have a better place to find some good discussion on who to raise turkeys (specifically bourbon red)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Minclark posted:

So I realize this is a thread for chickens but there has been little discussion about turkeys and its to my understanding they are treated much the same as chickens. Could I possibly squeeze some turkey questions and disguise them in this chicken thread? Or does anyone have a better place to find some good discussion on who to raise turkeys (specifically bourbon red)?

I'm pretty sure at least a few people here (including me!) are doing turkeys as well. Ask away!

-- Shifty Nipples --

We're local budz, so if you need any help with anything or whatever, let me know!

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

Lynza posted:

I'm pretty sure at least a few people here (including me!) are doing turkeys as well. Ask away!

-- Shifty Nipples --

We're local budz, so if you need any help with anything or whatever, let me know!

Yeh, this is pretty much a general poultry keeping thread, so ask anything you want :D.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Found this on imgur:

quote:

In February last year, Roo the chihuahua was found shivering in a ditch in a park. The seven-week-old pup, who was born without fully formed front legs, is believed to have been abandoned by dog breeders. Penny the chicken was nine weeks old when Ms Alicia Williams , an animal science student, saved her from a laboratory. Penny and Roo have now become inseparable.

Just looks at these two!

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Feb 16, 2014

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Turns out the other person involved in this process did not obtain the necessary permit yet, soooooo it looks like I have to do everything myself and the chicken getting will have to wait while I do that.

Minclark
Dec 24, 2013
I bought a nice little house in the country (5 acres) about 2 years ago (and had some major fixer upper issues with the house) and now its time to expand to taking care of some animals and a garden. Our first year garden (last year) was met with good success as we were one of the few houses that didn't lose all our plants to excessive water (they all laughed when I made a raised garden). This year we planned to expand that and to have turkeys guard it part time from bugs and then they would help fill the table later in the year so that I don't have to take care of them over the winter.

We are located within an hour of the Meyer hatchery so we figured we would get some bourbon red chicks from there with a mortality rate of around 25 - 30% we figured we would get 10 and watch that whittle down to 7 - 5 depending on mother nature but we would still built the coop large enough for 10. My first question is if we have to order chicks (meyer says 20 but we can prolly go in on 10 with the neighbors to get rid of them) would [url]https://www.meyerhatchery.com/productinfo.a5w?cat=1027&subcat=5050&prodID=CSK&grd_prodone_filter=PRODUCT_ID%20%3d%20%27CSK%27[/url) be enough to get them started in the basement where there are not any drafts?
2) How do I know when teh chicks outgrow teh large tub I put them in for the brooder? I gues they need a place to run but how much exercise do they need?
3) what should I put in there for their entertainment?
Edited this post to remove questions I've found answers to.

Minclark fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 17, 2014

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

I looked into her eyes, and I saw only the void.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

It's just like the scene in Pixar's "A Bug's Life." This is the very last thing that Hopper (the evil grasshopper) sees before he's eaten by baby birds.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

So, uh, it seems my hens have synchronized their laying days, and it's been driving me crazy D:. One day of near silence, then the next day it's blawkaggedon, with Tabasco joining the chorus for good measure. :(

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Chido posted:

So, uh, it seems my hens have synchronized their laying days, and it's been driving me crazy D:. One day of near silence, then the next day it's blawkaggedon, with Tabasco joining the chorus for good measure. :(

How is Tobasco's temperament these days? Is he still a goofy retard or can you handle him?

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

He's easy to handle and he only gets a bit annoying when I first let him out of the coop. He runs to me and tries to mate my shoes, so I just grab him and pet him until he gives up. He hasn't tried to attack anybody and it's really easy to grab him and pet him. He's not a bad boy, he just doesn't realize I'm waaaaay out of his league, so his fail dance won't work on me because I always make him my bitch :3:.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
My hens do not allow me to pick them up. They just run the gently caress away. I have no idea what we did wrong.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small

Chido posted:

CHIDO! is there any way you can record this and play it for us? PRETTY PLEEEEZ! :allears:

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

piscesbobbie posted:

CHIDO! is there any way you can record this and play it for us? PRETTY PLEEEEZ! :allears:

I'll try, they make all their noise in the morning, so I'll try to get it when the chicken drama is going :3:.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Chido posted:

I'll try, they make all their noise in the morning, so I'll try to get it when the chicken drama is going :3:.

Thank you Chido! :)

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

My hens do not allow me to pick them up. They just run the gently caress away. I have no idea what we did wrong.

It's Stockholm Syndrome time.

Take them into the bathroom or some other small room where they cannot get away. Take along a book and a pocketful of goodies and sit down with them. Spend at least 20 minutes just hangin' out and forcing them to be near you while you sit calmly and read your book. Talk to them every do often, toss out a goodie every so often. Do this every every other day or so, adding in making them tolerate your hand near them, getting closer, eventually touching them a bit (petting them on the breast is fairly non-threatening, trying to pet them on the back more so). Pet them a little, then stop, move your hand away and croon praise at them while they look confused. As you work with them you'll eventually gain their trust and be able to pet them more and more. It's how bird trainers get new birds used to them, by forcing them to be near and accept them as part of the landscape.

This works outdoors too, but to a lesser extent since the chickens have more room to move away.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Kidnap the hen heads... I hadn't thought of that.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Kidnap the hen heads... I hadn't thought of that.

NO NO NO, THE ENTIRE HEN. :pwn:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Ain't no hens here...

... Just us gnomes.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Velvet Sparrow posted:

The heads can't run away :black101:

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Chido posted:

The heads can't run away :black101:

But the bodies can.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Beardless posted:

But the bodies can.

Those go in the stew pot.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Those go in the stew pot.

Gotta catch 'em first, they run around for a bit after the head is removed.

My dad demonstrated this to us when we were kids because we thought it was another one of his tall stories. So next time we were butchering chickens for the table, he showed us it wasn't an urban legend. :pwn:
The other chickens freaked.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Talking to my buddy today, he had 4 hens. One of his was a black sex link. They were all out today, the sex link went in and laid an egg. Then it came back out and they were all in a giant chicken ball dust bathing. He went outside to call them in and they all jumped up and ran up to him but the sex link. Dead. No reason just dead. Chickens are weird.

JimBobDole
Nov 6, 2005

'Tis the season.

Velvet Sparrow posted:

My dad demonstrated this to us when we were kids because we thought it was another one of his tall stories. So next time we were butchering chickens for the table, he showed us it wasn't an urban legend. :pwn:

I can't even imagine what the rest of the flock's reaction was. It's the scary story told around chicken campfires!

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Gotta catch 'em first, they run around for a bit after the head is removed.

My grandfather did that to me too when I was like 10. I just stared at it like WTF it is true. Then he showed me how easy it was with an upside down traffic cone.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Talking to my buddy today, he had 4 hens. One of his was a black sex link. They were all out today, the sex link went in and laid an egg. Then it came back out and they were all in a giant chicken ball dust bathing. He went outside to call them in and they all jumped up and ran up to him but the sex link. Dead. No reason just dead. Chickens are weird.

Let me guess--she was 2 years old?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Let me guess--she was 2 years old?

About 10 months

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Errant Gin Monks posted:

About 10 months

Ouch. :( OK, well, I was going to say that sometimes a seemingly healthy laying hen will suddenly drop dead around age 2--it's a thing not fully understood. I'd bet heart attack since she went so quick, though. I've had hens drop dead on me, it's frustrating and weird.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Ouch. :( OK, well, I was going to say that sometimes a seemingly healthy laying hen will suddenly drop dead around age 2--it's a thing not fully understood. I'd bet heart attack since she went so quick, though. I've had hens drop dead on me, it's frustrating and weird.

I know my dumb hens turn one in a month and then next year I have to worry about them just keeling over. Stupid birds.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Velvet Sparrow posted:

And it's always your favourite chicken :smith:

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

As promised here are my chicks :woop:

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Shifty Nipples posted:

Congratulations! They're adorable!! Do you have names for them yet? What did you end up getting?

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Shifty Nipples posted:

OH MY GOSH THE CUTENESS! Congratulations Shifty Nipples! Do you know what breed of chickens they are yet? ADORABLE! :allears:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Three Silver Laced Wyandottes or Black Stars or Australorps, a buff Orpington or Red Star and an Americaunas...?

Little cuties, congrats! :)

Edit: VVVV Yay, another Weedcat! :)

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Feb 23, 2014

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I do know what they are, but not which is what. So far one will be Weedcat, and one will be Sherlock. I think one will be Poot, if I don't come up with a better name. I'll have to go look at the receipt to tell ya what the hell they are. Besides cute, that is.

Shifty Nipples fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Feb 23, 2014

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
New chicken time! I apologise for the phone camera and the blurriness, they are not yet used to having their photos taken!

Alecto and new chickens:

New chicken #1:

New chicken #2:

(She is looking at one of the containers we usually fill with water and put around outside for chickens and happyjacks to drink/play in. It is inside right now as the new chooks are staying inside for a couple of days while they get used to their new home. They have already filled it with dirt :argh:)

Both Chicken #1 and Chicken #2 are ex-egg farm chooks, so they are older than Alecto and a bit scruffy looking. Alecto seems to be enjoying being the boss chicken for now. She has gone broody again (:argh:) but got off the nest long enough to boss the new arrivals around when they arrived. Chicken #2 seems a little more nervous around her than Chicken #1. Alecto is sitting back in her nest again now, looking very offended:

Meanwhile, one of the new chickens laid her first egg in her new home!

It's the third in the top row. As you can see, it is a little smaller and darker than Alecto's eggs.

Now I just have to choose which chicken to name Megaera and which one to name Tisiphone. So far I am telling them apart by their butt feathers (Chicken #2's are darker).

CROWS EVERYWHERE fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Feb 23, 2014

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
I have some kind of odd pest invading my garden areas.

These are the culprits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApathyGirl
Aug 24, 2013

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I have some kind of odd pest invading my garden areas.

These are the culprits.

I love how they're all, "WHAT."