Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Koramei posted:

Anyone have recommended readings that cover the whole sweep of prehistoric human migrations in an overarching way? I started on Against the Grain based on recommendations here about state formation (thanks everyone) but then decided I wanted to go even earlier. My understanding is genetic evidence has advanced light years just in the past decade and it'd be cool to get an up to date reading of the topic to ground with first.

I've been reading David Reich's Who We Are and How We Got Here, which is pretty close to what I want (although 6 years old now-- my impression is there's been some staggering advances just within that timeframe, so if there is anything even newer that would be great), but delving into the background it looks like he's taken some heat from anthropologists as being way too narrowly studied in genetics to be drawing some conclusions in social sciences he draws (about racial genetic differences particularly) and since my interest is more from an anthropological/archaeological perspective anyway I'd kind of prefer to read a book from that side of the aisle if there's a recommended one.

I doubt (but would be pleasantly suprised if I am wrong) that there is anything good published yet about that.

Prehistoric human migrations are pretty hard to pick out in the archaeological record outside of genetics, and even that has a relatively small sample size (by this I mean people are not running genetic tests on every bit of HR they find so you have an even smaller window than we normally do in archaeology). I figure you could maybe get a good article out of it but I'm hesitant to think we could have a good book from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Koramei posted:

Anyone have recommended readings that cover the whole sweep of prehistoric human migrations in an overarching way? I started on Against the Grain based on recommendations here about state formation (thanks everyone) but then decided I wanted to go even earlier. My understanding is genetic evidence has advanced light years just in the past decade and it'd be cool to get an up to date reading of the topic to ground with first.

I've been reading David Reich's Who We Are and How We Got Here, which is pretty close to what I want (although 6 years old now-- my impression is there's been some staggering advances just within that timeframe, so if there is anything even newer that would be great), but delving into the background it looks like he's taken some heat from anthropologists as being way too narrowly studied in genetics to be drawing some conclusions in social sciences he draws (about racial genetic differences particularly) and since my interest is more from an anthropological/archaeological perspective anyway I'd kind of prefer to read a book from that side of the aisle if there's a recommended one.

You might like books by Peter Bellwood. The First Farmers of Europe by Stephen Shennan is great, focuses on Europe of course but also discusses the beginnings of agriculture in the Middle East.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Koramei posted:

Anyone have recommended readings that cover the whole sweep of prehistoric human migrations in an overarching way?

Steven Mithen's After the Ice maybe? It's a few years old, though.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
It'd be many pages back but someone recommended "Burgundy a vanished empire" by Bart Van Loo and it was a great read thankyou

plogo
Jan 20, 2009

Koramei posted:

You might find this review of The Invention of Prehistory: Empire, Violence, and Our Obsession with Human Origins interesting. https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/...nos-book-review

Lewd Mangabey
Jun 2, 2011
"What sort of ape?" asked Stephen.
"A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and is reeling drunk. It has been offering itself to Babbington."

Koramei posted:

You're right that some of the better books of the previous generation don't incorporate the quickly accumulating genetic evidence, so are becoming outdated pretty quickly. I enjoyed Europe Between the Oceans by Barry Cunliffe, but it's from 2011, basically right before ancient human genetic evidence started to become widely available. It is a good overall review of the archaeological evidence, however, so when you read papers associating genetic types to certain archaeological groups, you can at least know what they're talking about. David Reich's book, which you've already read, is a great overview of beginnings of the work from one of the big names in the field, but is already a little outdated and is written by a geneticist instead of a historian or archaeologist.

In lieu of up to date books, I would suggest that Stefan Milo has a pretty good YouTube channel that covers ancient humans and hominid evolution, and he is good about putting his bibliography in his video descriptions if you want more to read. Dan Davis History is another channel that covers a lot of early European archaeology (as well as a few more recent historical topics); he tends to wax a bit more poetic in his descriptions (it seems that his main job is a fantasy writer, based on his channel's description), but he usually does a good job of signaling what the researchers actually support versus what he is extrapolating -- he'll explicitly say, "I like to think... but it's impossible to know."

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

plogo posted:

You might find this review of The Invention of Prehistory: Empire, Violence, and Our Obsession with Human Origins interesting. https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/...nos-book-review

Just got finished The Invention of Prehistory, actually! Really excellent work.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

Lawman 0 posted:

About halfway through Mary Beards SPQR and it'd pretty good although nothing ground breaking.

Is it a good introductory history of Rome? I've never been able to find a good hopping-on book for Ancient Roman History, pretty much all the reccs I get are "well you have to have learned about Rome extensively in school first to follow this but then it's a great time" and unfortunately my school did not offer Classical History back in the day. Either that or they say to listen to Hardcore History's rome series and let me tell you, I cannot learn from podcasts. Or stand listening to Dan Carlin talk, tbh.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Gato posted:

Does anyone know of a decent history of Sengoku Japan? (Yes, I have been watching Shogun) Pop-history would be ok if there's nothing else

seconding this, espcially after new asscreed trailer.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

Strange Cares posted:

Is it a good introductory history of Rome? I've never been able to find a good hopping-on book for Ancient Roman History, pretty much all the reccs I get are "well you have to have learned about Rome extensively in school first to follow this but then it's a great time" and unfortunately my school did not offer Classical History back in the day. Either that or they say to listen to Hardcore History's rome series and let me tell you, I cannot learn from podcasts. Or stand listening to Dan Carlin talk, tbh.

It’s not a book to read if you want a full picture of all the events and emperor’s lives and whatnot. More a book giving an introductory overview of what Roman culture and politics were like, with discussions of specific events as highlights. I’m not sure what book to read for that, I’ve been relying on Mike Duncan’s History of Rome podcast to get the details.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

Anybody help a brother out with a good informative book on the life and legacy of Oda Nobunaga?

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

FPyat posted:

It’s not a book to read if you want a full picture of all the events and emperor’s lives and whatnot. More a book giving an introductory overview of what Roman culture and politics were like, with discussions of specific events as highlights. I’m not sure what book to read for that, I’ve been relying on Mike Duncan’s History of Rome podcast to get the details.

Sounds like SPQR is just what I'm looking for then. Thanks!

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Anybody got a good recommendation on McCarthyism/Red Scare in America?

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

The Crucible by Arthur Miller

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Just read A Spy Among Friends: Kim Philby and the Great Betrayal and was pretty engrossed by it. It's crazy just how easy it was for him to spy and just never be caught for years solely cause he was 'of the right people'.

Any recs on additional books on spies? Either specific spies or just the spy game in general
Cold War era be a plus but not requirement

Biffmotron
Jan 12, 2007

The Billion Dollar Spy, about Adolf Tolkachev, is some prime high Cold War crushing paranoia.

The Quiet Americans by Scott Anderson is not quite as good, but does get into early Cold War intelligence insanity, with coups and paramilitary revolutionary teams getting dropped behind the Iron Curtain. I don't have a good rec for a biography of just Frank Wisner, but he's definitely one of the more bizarre and influential figures of the era.

Shivers
Oct 31, 2011

Digital Jedi posted:

Just read A Spy Among Friends: Kim Philby and the Great Betrayal and was pretty engrossed by it. It's crazy just how easy it was for him to spy and just never be caught for years solely cause he was 'of the right people'.

Any recs on additional books on spies? Either specific spies or just the spy game in general
Cold War era be a plus but not requirement

You've read one Ben Macintyre book, why not read more? I like all of his spy books. Agent Zigzag, Double Cross and Operation Mincemeat.

I like these books so much because they do a good job demystifying spies and the art of spying. It's no James Bonds and slick and smooth operations, but mostly just a case of boring nerds and fuckups throwing poo poo at a wall and seeing what sticks.

There's a bit of crossover with these books as they touch on some of the same themes and people, because they are all set in the same time period. So dont read them all at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
I enjoyed The Woman Who Smashed Codes. It's about a particular codebreaker involved in Bletchley Park and Alan Turing and all that. It's spy... adjacent.