Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

MockingQuantum posted:

Are there still SA game jams happening from time to time? It's been a hot minute since I've done any sound design for games and I kinda miss it. I don't have the time (or desire, really) to try to do it professionally at this point in my life, and I'm not sure I'd want to try and actually get involved with a long term project right now, but I feel like I could do a game jam or two.

The SA-adjacent Dogpit Discord runs the occasional game jam, and I think one is coming up soon.

You can also just go onto itch.io, there's game jams running all the time. You'll get internet randos instead of goons; up to you if that's better or worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

MockingQuantum posted:

Are there still SA game jams happening from time to time? It's been a hot minute since I've done any sound design for games and I kinda miss it. I don't have the time (or desire, really) to try to do it professionally at this point in my life, and I'm not sure I'd want to try and actually get involved with a long term project right now, but I feel like I could do a game jam or two.

nowadays there are dozens of game jams going on every day, to the point it feels less like an event.

SA jams more or less morphed into dog pit. but if you poke at itch youll find something running

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Pixel Game Jam 24 starts today:
https://itch.io/jam/-pixel-game-jam-2024

Theme is Aqua, you got 10 days.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I rejiggered my rendering pipeline so I could start adding CRT effects.

Zooming in a bit, since the scanlines aren't really visible when you zoom out:

This is just scanlines, but even just that much is IMO a neat improvement. In this screenshot, there's a 3x upscaling, so 9 pixels per "pixel"; it can get up to 4x on a 1080p display in fullscreen. Of course, I'll make it optional for people who want the pure, undiluted pixels.

And yes, I do have a rendering pipeline, which sits on top of the Unreal Engine pipeline:

1. Render opaque gameplay layer
2. Render transparent layer, which can blend within the layer, but is opaque on top of the opaque layer
3. Render UI layer
4. All three of above are rendered to a target texture, which is then upscaled and has CRT effects applied to it, before being sent to the "HUD"

It's silly how complicated this is, but it's really necessary to enable the aesthetic I'm going for.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Your Computer posted:

was messing with 16x24 pixel tiles and enjoying how oldschool they make things feel immediately, which led me to thinking "wouldn't it be funny if i also used the EGA colors" and before i knew it i was drawing more and more things

and a bonus gif

hey remember that fake EGA aesthetic roguelike i was working on

what if i rewrote it in QBASIC on MS-DOS and made it an actual 320x200 EGA game

https://i.imgur.com/4y7ILPO.mp4

e: y'know.... as a joke

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 05:04 on May 13, 2024

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

Maxwell Lord posted:

It's a neat idea, one I don't think I've seen. The major challenge would be all the possible combinations there are, and avoiding frustration if the player tries to combine things that aren't really connected. Still I think it's a good direction to go with this sort of thing.

Well for the purpose of this sort of prototype, there's only a few major concepts the player needs to grasp and the rest are red herrings or just for flavour. The real pain is using RPGMaker, which is really nice and quick for prototyping but a huge slog due to a lack of Switch/Case statements.

I had to do a bit of simplification because of RPGMaker's limitations. I'm still in the middle of some modifications to make it a little simpler and easier for the player (and myself). Since the player does their 'idea crafting' while working at their crappy job, there's other distractions going on at the same time. This project is partially turning out to be "Use the turn based combat engine for anything BUT combat", since I'm also considering using the engine for conversations as well. Instead of the conversation moving through based off the player's choices, I'm planning on using the battle logic to make the NPC ask the player different things they're interested in, or sometimes just get distracted.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Your Computer posted:

Seeing that QBAS screen gave me a tangible feeling of nostalgia. :3:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Your Computer posted:

Hell yeah this rules. :allears:

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Your Computer posted:

I'm astounded at how many different project concepts you've posted in here, and how well they all nail a particular aesthetic, nice work!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MockingQuantum posted:

I'm astounded at how many different project concepts you've posted in here, and how well they all nail a particular aesthetic, nice work!

thank you :shobon:

i've started to realize/admit that i'm a lot better at that than i am at actually working on and finishing anything.... but at least i'm enjoying what i'm doing!

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
Been working on this update for awhile. First set of "finished" quality sprites in color. Hand drawn sprites are a lot of work!
https://twitter.com/MegaKnockdown/status/1790427353606418677

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Sneaking in more work on this game..

https://x.com/Shoehead_art/status/1790470964897050976

I actually got so fed up with how GMS2 was running on my work laptop that I doubled the ram in it. GMS2 continues to harm me, but I'm having fun with this project. It has ZERO scope at all, I just get bored and add features and it kind of just works out?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
My game currently looks like this:

I did a small playtest of it, and aside from a bunch of easily-foreseeable feedback about poor communication, something that stuck out to me was: players expected to only interact with the right-hand side of the board. In other words, the left-hand side was a "visualizer", and warned them about upcoming stuff that they might need to take action about, but they didn't expect to be able to tell their little guy to move around on it. Which, currently, is expected of the player. Your verbs are "make matches", "cast spells", and "move on tactical grid". However, I do think that the game's premise would be a lot stronger if I could eliminate the "move" verb. The trick is in how it's done, and I'm interested in thoughts from y'all.

I would like position and clever use of spells to still be critical. It feels good to cast a lightning bolt and have it zap five guys because they're all lined up, for example, just as it feels good to set off a shockwave around you right as you get surrounded. Ideally the game involves some degree of forecasting, where the player can say "OK, this is going to be a problem in 2 turns [or 3, or maybe 4 but that's pushing it], so I need to make sure I have an answer to it by then".

About all I can think of is:
- Each level contains a path that the protagonist automatically follows.
- Each turn, they take 1 step along the path, if they can. If they get knocked off the path, they walk towards it.
- Your action each turn consists of either making a match or casting a spell.
- Enemies take their turns as they do in the current demo, except that some enemies are able to lead the player with their charged attacks (others don't lead, which means they'll hit you if you stop moving forward)

It's sort of a...mobile tower defense game? I'm not entirely sure I'm thrilled by the idea, but I can't say it doesn't have merit. But I'm absolutely open to other ideas for eliminating manual movement.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Spells to move? You could have arrows on the board or something that get selected to cause movement? Or maybe when you move a piece on the match board, your player character moves in that same direction. You could tie it into the lore like your character is physically moving energy or ley lines to cast spells - the board is a second representation of the playing field.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Maybe a bit of a different approach here, and it honestly feels a little blasphemous to say as someone who likes what you’re going for…but does the puzzle board need to always be visible?

If there weren’t two different interactable game windows on screen at all times it might be a little less confusing, like if it slid offscreen between uses it’d emphasize it being a thing that the player is intentionally using instead of moving around.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

KillHour posted:

Spells to move? You could have arrows on the board or something that get selected to cause movement? Or maybe when you move a piece on the match board, your player character moves in that same direction. You could tie it into the lore like your character is physically moving energy or ley lines to cast spells - the board is a second representation of the playing field.

spells moving you and doing some attack thing would give a reason to do things other than just spam giant nukes. which is probably good for the gameplay.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

dhamster posted:

Been working on this update for awhile. First set of "finished" quality sprites in color. Hand drawn sprites are a lot of work!
https://twitter.com/MegaKnockdown/status/1790427353606418677

It's nice to see the art coming along. The sprite in the animation looks cool and I dig the attacks.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It's sort of a...mobile tower defense game? I'm not entirely sure I'm thrilled by the idea, but I can't say it doesn't have merit. But I'm absolutely open to other ideas for eliminating manual movement.

I haven't thought this fully through, but... can movement and spell power draw from the same pool? If you're using PAD style puzzling, can movement "points" be traded give you more time to move a piece, or you can choose to move in order to refresh the puzzle pieces on the field?

Alternately, there's Desktop Dungeons' thing where exploring a tile for the first time gives you resources. More matches from the same field could have diminishing returns in power, encouraging the player to keep moving for more effectiveness?

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Lots of cool updates lately! Y'all are great.

Shoehead posted:

Sneaking in more work on this game..

https://x.com/Shoehead_art/status/1790470964897050976

I actually got so fed up with how GMS2 was running on my work laptop that I doubled the ram in it. GMS2 continues to harm me, but I'm having fun with this project. It has ZERO scope at all, I just get bored and add features and it kind of just works out?
Your rat-ish creatures sound an awful lot like the bats in Diablo 1. Are you using stock sound effects or is it just a coincidence?

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Haven't touched my platformer game in a long time so naturally i decided to start a side project. top down shooter type thing where you combine different weapons together to make new ones

edit: the flamethrower fx might not be serth friendly

https://twitter.com/bonerman_inc/status/1790512655964512509

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

anatomi posted:

Lots of cool updates lately! Y'all are great.

Your rat-ish creatures sound an awful lot like the bats in Diablo 1. Are you using stock sound effects or is it just a coincidence?

Their attack sound is a magpie chirping and then their alert noise and death noise are bats from Diablo 1 yeah! Some of the very few placeholder sounds left in the game, but it seems like messing with chirping birds pitched up is the way to go :3:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

KillHour posted:

I think my goal right now is to see if I can make the player wholly non-responsible for the character's basic movement. Occasional interrupts are fine, e.g. "I'm about to be rushed from the side, I'd better cast my Haste spell to move forward faster and dodge it". But if I can otherwise make movement just be something that happens, and which the player needs to incorporate into their plans without being responsible for, then I think I can really streamline the gameplay. And a more focused, streamlined game is likely to be easier to target at an audience.

Dewgy posted:

Maybe a bit of a different approach here, and it honestly feels a little blasphemous to say as someone who likes what you’re going for…but does the puzzle board need to always be visible?

If there weren’t two different interactable game windows on screen at all times it might be a little less confusing, like if it slid offscreen between uses it’d emphasize it being a thing that the player is intentionally using instead of moving around.

IMO you should only hide verbs if they're only contextually relevant, like the "press X to interact with this object" prompts in your average AAA game. But again, my goal is to see if I can remove one of the verbs almost entirely, not to clear up communication around how the current prototype works.

Tricky Ed posted:

I haven't thought this fully through, but... can movement and spell power draw from the same pool? If you're using PAD style puzzling, can movement "points" be traded give you more time to move a piece, or you can choose to move in order to refresh the puzzle pieces on the field?

Alternately, there's Desktop Dungeons' thing where exploring a tile for the first time gives you resources. More matches from the same field could have diminishing returns in power, encouraging the player to keep moving for more effectiveness?

In the current prototype, the match3 board does slide around as you move around the tactical grid. The two are notionally overlaid on top of each other, and I'd like to tie them together better in other ways.

Re: time, the current game is turn-based, because my original goal was a chill low-key thinky game, not a reaction/stress game. I could certainly conceivably add a realtime play mode, where turns happen every set number of seconds, but that's not really my goal. (This is also why the interactive part of the match3 board is only 4x4: if the player has unlimited time to think and a large gameboard to work with, analysis paralysis becomes a potential issue)

buuuuut again, goal is to pull movement out of the player's grubby little mitts as much as possible :v:

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

My game currently looks like this:

I did a small playtest of it, and aside from a bunch of easily-foreseeable feedback about poor communication, something that stuck out to me was: players expected to only interact with the right-hand side of the board. In other words, the left-hand side was a "visualizer", and warned them about upcoming stuff that they might need to take action about, but they didn't expect to be able to tell their little guy to move around on it. Which, currently, is expected of the player. Your verbs are "make matches", "cast spells", and "move on tactical grid". However, I do think that the game's premise would be a lot stronger if I could eliminate the "move" verb. The trick is in how it's done, and I'm interested in thoughts from y'all.

I also thought from my casual glances in this thread that only the right side would be interactive.

You want real hard mode? The player moves in the direction that a swipe was made on the Match-3 board.

I'd love to cast double-fireball but, uh, I should go left instead.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Hammer Bro. posted:

I also thought from my casual glances in this thread that only the right side would be interactive.

You want real hard mode? The player moves in the direction that a swipe was made on the Match-3 board.

I'd love to cast double-fireball but, uh, I should go left instead.

The match-3 board lets you perform an arbitrary number of swaps as your turn. You pick up a token and then do as many swaps involving that token as you like, and when you put it down, matches happen. I do have a system in place where the direction that replacement tokens fall in from depends on the token that you pick up (earth token is down gravity, air is up, water and fire are left/right, and you can't pick up chaos tokens)...I'll probably end up getting rid of that, because it doesn't really add anything meaningful. Conceivably I could replace it with that determining the direction you move in...hm. It's still not "automating away the movement aspect", but it does more tightly integrate the match3 and tacmap aspects.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Conceptually, I do like the idea that different symbols have some sort of intrinsic difference in how they interact with the game instead of just being palette swaps.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

Conceivably I could replace it with that determining the direction you move in...hm. It's still not "automating away the movement aspect", but it does more tightly integrate the match3 and tacmap aspects.

You could have some way to mark one of the tiles on the match3 board as "this is where I want to move" and have involving that tile in the matches be an x3 to the damage or whatever. No idea what this means for unpassable tiles though, maybe you just can't do it for those? This way you can also avoid moving tile-by-tile, which also means higher "risk" in the sense that more of the match3 board will be replaced with potentially unknown elements the further you move. And you have a way to deliberately say "I don't want to move"

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I tried implementing the "matching makes you move" concept, but didn't get it quite right:

https://i.imgur.com/fC7vRyh.mp4

(The player moving causes the match3 board to slide, which animates the tokens, and when they're done the match3 board says "okay I finished, therefore the player needs to move...")

Red Mike posted:

You could have some way to mark one of the tiles on the match3 board as "this is where I want to move" and have involving that tile in the matches be an x3 to the damage or whatever. No idea what this means for unpassable tiles though, maybe you just can't do it for those? This way you can also avoid moving tile-by-tile, which also means higher "risk" in the sense that more of the match3 board will be replaced with potentially unknown elements the further you move. And you have a way to deliberately say "I don't want to move"

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. What does "this is where I want to move" mean? Does the protagonist have a goal that they're chasing towards or something? How does that avoid moving tile-by-tile, or grant the ability to not move?

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Now do move per swipe! I wanna see the buff man dance.

(Unless it's nontrivial to do so.)

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. What does "this is where I want to move" mean? Does the protagonist have a goal that they're chasing towards or something? How does that avoid moving tile-by-tile, or grant the ability to not move?

For example in the image you posted before:

Pretend it's a 5x5 grid with another column/row in the middle because 4x4 is a bit weird for this. The top-left earth would be 2 tiles left, 2 tiles up from the player's current position. The top-right water would be 2 tiles right, 2 tiles up. The bottom earth would be 2 tiles down, 1 tile left.

Give the player a way to select which tile they're trying to move to. So for example if they selected the top-left earth as their 'move target', then after this turn they'll be 2 tiles left, 2 tiles up from the current position (without stepping through the intervening tiles). Because they moved 2 tiles left and 2 tiles right, pretty much the entire board will be completely new even if they make no matches (the same as if they moved left, left, up, up normally right now) so it's a calculated risk that once you're in the new position you can find new matches. If they instead selected the fire that's just 1 left, 1 up, they'll only move 1 tile left and 1 tile up, so unless they make matches that completely clear the board, most of the elements on-screen will be what they currently already see.

You can then give that target point some bonus, like for example they select the top-left earth as their 'move target', and make sure that the matches that happen in the turn include that earth tile, therefore whaatever spell happens has 3 times as much damage (or whatever). So tactically you want to select one of the tiles you know will match, but that could force you to put yourself in a bad position.

Or potentially something like "you move to the tile you last swapped" or something. Basically another way to tie the tactical map and the match3 board together to make movement a part of the process.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Ahh, I see, thank you for the clarification. I could see that potentially working out. It gives the player a lot of power to bop around the battlefield, though, so the challenge would be making it possible for enemies to still control space and present non-instantaneous threats (e.g. an enemy that charges up for a big move).

Hammer Bro. posted:

Now do move per swipe! I wanna see the buff man dance.

(Unless it's nontrivial to do so.)

I have good news and bad news

https://i.imgur.com/WsDDUj3.mp4

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Walk into the Match-3 area next to 2 other warrior guys, immediately die.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Alright, here's a short level completed with the new movement rule:

https://i.imgur.com/ADUccU7.mp4

Seems to work OK, except for the bit where I wanted to just walk in a straight line for a bit. :v: It's not really any faster or more streamlined than the old system, though...all it really does is mean that you're taking 2 turns at once. I feel like something where you only focus on match3/spellcasting would still be better. (edit: but to be clear, still where taking advantage of good positioning and spell AoEs is important)

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 20:46 on May 15, 2024

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

Seems to work OK, except for the bit where I wanted to just walk in a straight line for a bit. :v: It's not really any faster or more streamlined than the old system, though...all it really does is mean that you're taking 2 turns at once. I feel like something where you only focus on match3/spellcasting would still be better. (edit: but to be clear, still where taking advantage of good positioning and spell AoEs is important)

Am I understanding right that the match3 board is basically used to gather ammo for the spells, and the spells are a completely separate thing you choose to do at another time? If so, you could make the movement tie to the spells, so each spell moves you in a certain direction/way (things like Wind Slash would teleport you upwards by X tiles, Impale would just move you downwards by 1 tile, etc). That would mean choosing which spell to cast becomes more important because it's both attacking and positioning at once. You can even have it so that if the normal end position after the spell is blocked by an enemy/wall you take damage (or you're outright prevented from casting the spell maybe), which means your spell choice becomes more limited sometimes.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

e: I figured out my problem, it's something small and dumb that probably doesn't apply to anybody. See end of post for tl;dr

I have a Godot 4.2 question, although I can't find anything concrete for earlier versions either.

I am trying to set up a saved game system where on a new game, the save file is essentially empty, then as you play the game, it progressively stores more state information - so far it's just current scene and player position, but will obviously add more as I go. I'm testing the game in run project via the editor with only four scenes - the base scene with the scene loader, a start menu scene, a pause menu scene, and a single test scene for actual gameplay.

Continue game works, it remembers player position and which scene to load, but when I start a new game, which should replace the saved game file with a new empty save file (where player position is undefined), it somehow remembers where the player was from the previous run.

I'm assuming this is because Godot is storing/caching state internally, so since I don't actually quit the game but just delete the save game data and swap back to an already-loaded scene, it pulls the player position from the scene cache rather than the packed scene data (i.e. what I see in my editor).

I know I could "fix" this by always manually defining all initial state in the new save game file, but that is going to get lovely as I make more content and tinker and change things around. Is there a better standard solution? I was hoping for something like:

1. When starting a new game, somehow delete all cached resources and load from scratch again (I thought queue_free would do this as part of the normal scene swapping but I guess not)

Or

2. Create an editor script that goes through every scene in the project, pulls the relevant default state data, and saves it to the "new game" save file, and then I just click to rebuild that every time I make changes

I feel like I'm missing something though, nothing is showing up in Google so that probably means I'm doing something wrong in my approach

For each scene and node that uses state I wanted to use _ready to check if the current save file has a value for whatever variables and then set it to that (e.g. player position) and if not, default to what the scene has - but I seem to be running into an internal Godot cache I don't know anything about

e: scene loader code is:

Python code:
extends Node

var current_scene: PackedScene

@onready var scene_container: Node = $SceneContainer

func load_scene(scene_path: String):
	if current_scene:
		scene_container.get_child(0).queue_free()

current_scene = load("res://scenes/" + scene_path)
	var scene_instance = current_scene.instantiate()

scene_container.add_child(scene_instance)

func change_scene(new_scene_path: String):
	SceneGlobals.current_scene_path = new_scene_path
	load_scene(new_scene_path)
e: i figured it out. when i load the saved data i use it to update variables in an autoloaded singleton, which scenes pull from, includes the var that tracks player_position -- but you can't null a Vector2 so when loading a blank slate new game, it didn't overwrite it as null, it just kept the old value, and i'd forgotten to go back and fix that. i'll need to think a bit about the save/load/globals system i want to use because right now it's ugly as poo poo, but at least in principle it's working

boofhead fucked around with this message at 09:47 on May 16, 2024

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Does this intentionally look Amiga-ish? love it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Red Mike posted:

Am I understanding right that the match3 board is basically used to gather ammo for the spells, and the spells are a completely separate thing you choose to do at another time? If so, you could make the movement tie to the spells, so each spell moves you in a certain direction/way (things like Wind Slash would teleport you upwards by X tiles, Impale would just move you downwards by 1 tile, etc). That would mean choosing which spell to cast becomes more important because it's both attacking and positioning at once. You can even have it so that if the normal end position after the spell is blocked by an enemy/wall you take damage (or you're outright prevented from casting the spell maybe), which means your spell choice becomes more limited sometimes.

Sure, I could do that, but again I don't think I want the player controlling their own movement! I want the focus to be on the match-3 and spellcasting, to really strip things down to that core element.

busalover posted:

Does this intentionally look Amiga-ish? love it.

Thank you! My target aesthetic is very roughly "HD SNES", but I'm not really paying close attention to stuff like color counts or sprite size. And of course the particle effects are wildly out of range of anything from that era. My main rules are:
1. Never break the pixel size. There's an internal fixed resolution of 480x270, and everything must draw to that resolution. I have render target textures that enforce this, but it still requires paying some attention to make sure things look good.
2. Never blend transparent pixels with the "background layer". I have an opaque layer, where things can only use cutout alpha (alpha is 0 or 1), and then I have a transparent layer, where things can blend with each other, but they're composited on top of the opaque layer with cutout alpha.

Originally, my thinking with rule 2 was that it let me pretend that all of the spell VFX were hand-authored. Like, sure, someone drew a bunch of variations of the flamethrower VFX, and the game picks one to play when you cast the spell, instead of simulating a few thousand particles. That justification falls flat when you consider the "pixel pop" effect that plays when tokens are matched in the match-3 board, but I still like the result aesthetically. It helps keep VFX sharply-defined, but the fact that they can blend within their layer means that I get nice variations of color when using additive blending on particles. It'd be a lot harder to get a good "fire" effect if I had to manually specify colors for each part of the flame, for example.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Sure, I could do that, but again I don't think I want the player controlling their own movement! I want the focus to be on the match-3 and spellcasting, to really strip things down to that core element.

I actually really like the idea of movement being a spell.

Maybe keep it simple and just have the match 3 be move-1-in-any-direction, and if you match 4 then you get to move 2, etc.

Or some sort of "points" meter that fills up as you make matches (perhaps up to a cap) and you can choose to cast when you need to move.

Though that may require having the enemies move whenever a match is made, regardless of if the player chooses to act.

From my very casual perspective, the left half feels disconnected from the right half. Making movement somehow related to matching would couple them for me.

boofhead posted:

e: i figured it out. when i load the saved data i use it to update variables in an autoloaded singleton, which scenes pull from, includes the var that tracks player_position -- but you can't null a Vector2 so when loading a blank slate new game, it didn't overwrite it as null, it just kept the old value, and i'd forgotten to go back and fix that. i'll need to think a bit about the save/load/globals system i want to use because right now it's ugly as poo poo, but at least in principle it's working

I don't like that Godot will let you null an untyped variable (Variant) but most of the typed variables (such as Vector2) can't be nulled.

The easiest but least savory approach is to not include type for those variables. The next best, which does not work well for Vector2s, is to pick some invalid constant value and use that for null-like comparisons.

I haven't come up with a general case satisfactory approach.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Hammer Bro. posted:

I actually really like the idea of movement being a spell.

From my very casual perspective, the left half feels disconnected from the right half. Making movement somehow related to matching would couple them for me.

You and everyone else :negative:

The problem is that as soon as I give the player control over their own movement, the game changes completely. It becomes more of a game about drawing enemies into traps, only proceeding when you're ready, and generally being timid and careful. It also takes a lot of time to play. And sure, it is possible to fix those issues by changing other parts of the design, but what if the player didn't control the protagonist's movement and instead had to incorporate that automatic movement into their plans?

Apologies for the emphasis, but I've said this like four times now and everyone keeps ignoring me to say "but here's a way you could let the player control movement!"

I don't want the player to control movement, except for the occasional panic button ("I'm about to walk into a really bad situation, I'd better burn my limited-use teleport spell to avoid it"). Most of the time, the character's movement should be a constraint that the player has to incorporate into their decisions. This has two keys advantages:

1. It forces the pace of play: the encounter occurs on a timeline that is not the player's chosen timeline. Timid play is impossible.
2. It removes verbs from the game, and I mean removes verbs, not bundles them into other verbs. This streamlines gameplay, and means that the game is more about what casual viewers think the game is about ("this is a game where I'm doing match-3 a lot" not "this is a game where I move a lot and sometimes stop to match-3")

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

You and everyone else :negative:

The problem is that as soon as I give the player control over their own movement, the game changes completely. It becomes more of a game about drawing enemies into traps, only proceeding when you're ready, and generally being timid and careful. It also takes a lot of time to play. And sure, it is possible to fix those issues by changing other parts of the design, but what if the player didn't control the protagonist's movement and instead had to incorporate that automatic movement into their plans?

Apologies for the emphasis, but I've said this like four times now and everyone keeps ignoring me to say "but here's a way you could let the player control movement!"

I don't want the player to control movement, except for the occasional panic button ("I'm about to walk into a really bad situation, I'd better burn my limited-use teleport spell to avoid it"). Most of the time, the character's movement should be a constraint that the player has to incorporate into their decisions. This has two keys advantages:

1. It forces the pace of play: the encounter occurs on a timeline that is not the player's chosen timeline. Timid play is impossible.
2. It removes verbs from the game, and I mean removes verbs, not bundles them into other verbs. This streamlines gameplay, and means that the game is more about what casual viewers think the game is about ("this is a game where I'm doing match-3 a lot" not "this is a game where I move a lot and sometimes stop to match-3")

if the user cant control it, will they plan against it or just ignore it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

leper khan posted:

if the user cant control it, will they plan against it or just ignore it?

The goal is that you have to incorporate it into your plans. Like, if you just ignore the character's movement, and just focus on casting big spells whenever you can, you should get punished by things like:
- enemies shoving you backwards or hurting you badly because you didn't prioritize them
- enemies hitting you with big spells because you didn't take steps to avoid being in the AoE (by pushing them, burning your teleport, or allowing another enemy to push you)
- getting surrounded and dogpiled by mooks

so I guess I should clarify the "can't control movement" as "most turns, you will be moving according to how the character wants to move, which is a known quantity that you should incorporate into your plans. On some turns, you will be able to override that movement by spending resources, but you can't afford to do that regularly".