Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FogOgg
Aug 7, 2004

Fun Shoe

jb7 posted:

What you are describing sounds and looks a lot like something that is referred to as cold tail. It is a condition that most frequently affects hunting dogs. Although your dog doesn't appear to belong to that category, I'm sure it could happen to any dog with a long active tale. It doesn't necessarily come from cold water or weather, it can also be caused by a dog's extremely active tail.

I'm pretty sure he's some sort of mix of beagle and boxer. I assume beagles are hunting dogs of a sort. Either way, I called the vet and he advised giving it a few days before coming in. He's made a full recovery since then and got a few comments at the park today about his deadly tail after whipping people in the knees :3:

Thanks to everyone for your responses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
My parents' dogs, two dachshunds, bark ALL THE TIME.
It's the long-haired one, the younger one that we rescued that now belongs to my mom, who barks the most. She doesn't even need a reason to bark anymore. She barks at everything and nothing and when she starts barking, it makes our other dog start barking as well. When they start barking, it's near IMPOSSIBLE to get them to shut up. Yelling, hitting them, nothing will get them to shut up. And I realize those aren't the best methods, but we have no idea what else to do.
When we rescued her, she wouldn't bark at all. She wouldn't make any noise. But my parents have basically "trained" her, like they did the other dog, to bark all the time, constantly, annoyingly. It's getting to the point where it's out of control. I cannot walk through my own house without getting barked at. My mom says it's because I "sneak up" on her because I'm quiet when I walk through the house, but I'm quiet so she DOESN'T bark. When I come home, she barks. When I go outside to get my cat, she barks. She barks AT the cat and that's made it to where I can't even let my own cat out of my room because my mom will yet at me for "making" the dog bark. It's especially frustrating because my dad works long hours and has to get up early in the morning and I'm usually out late or wandering around the house when people are asleep. Just walking into the living room sends her into a fit and she wakes everyone up, so of course I get yelled at for it.
She goes outside, she barks. Just barks. Not at anything. There's no other dogs barking, she just loving barks. We have a screened in porch and she'll jump up on the door and cause a loud racket and then bark at the racket she made.
She also pisses all over the place. This is a problem we've had since we first got her. Her previous owners kept her caged all the time and would rarely even let her out to use the bathroom, but I thought that we'd trained her to use the bathroom outside. Thing is, she'll go outside and poo and pee and then come RIGHT BACK IN and piss and poo poo all over the floor. It's disgusting, especially since she does it in the kitchen. We're not around to catch her since she usually does it at night when everyone's asleep or she does it just when we're not around. We've tried closing the door to the kitchen but then she just shits in the dining room. It's especially embarrassing when company is over.
I've tried talking to my parents about training her but they give me the whole "that's just how dogs are!!" shpiel and I'm getting very tired of it. I myself cannot train this dog because every time someone other than my mom touches her or gets close to her, she pisses. No one else will do anything about it. When she starts barking, no one else but me will even say anything about it and then I get yelled at for telling the dog to shut up. I thought I'd try at least a non-touch approach by buying a spray bottle and spraying her every time she barks, but my mom got angry about that and asked me how I'd like being sprayed in the face every time I talked.
Outside of killing the drat dog, what can I do to at least convince my parents, my mom especially, to train this dog? With the barking as well as the pissing/making GBS threads all over the floor?

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
First, don't use harsh punitive methods on a dog that already has submission-peeing issues. Get rid of the water bottle, don't yell at her or hit her. Does she know any commands? Have you done basic obedience training? If not, that's the first step. Look for a trainer who has a shy dog class.

Second, get the dog a crate. Make the experience of going in that crate the loving best time she's ever had. Put a blanket and her food in there, and give her a slice of hot dog every time she goes in there for the first week or so, without shutting the door. Then bed her down overnight in her crate with a toy or two, ignoring the inevitable barking that will ensue. She shouldn't pee in a confined space like that, and then you go out with her in the morning and treat/praise when she pees and poops outside. Until she's reliable with giving you signals about going outside, keep her with someone in the house or in her crate, and get her on a reasonable schedule for going outside.

Now most of this falls to your mother, because you've firmly established yourself as something to be feared, and rightly so. If you want to repair that relationship you have to be willing to go very slowly and encourage (click/treat) more confident behavior. Same deal with the barking. Start with click/treat when she's quiet for two seconds. Then make it four seconds. Then five, then put a command with it (hush or quiet). Keep doling out whatever will motivate her - likely food since she's terrified of everything.

E: If you want a way of suggesting this that's less confrontational than 'I hate this drat dog and it keeps doing all these things that piss me off', try talking about investing some time into working with the dog to build some more trust between you, and get her more comfortable with everything that's scaring her in her everyday life.

If you spend more time on the front end training the dog, you spend less time later on continually cleaning up after her or putting up with inappropriate behaviors.

If you want to check out something and see if it'd win your mom over, look for 'Don't Shoot the Dog' by Karen Pryor, either in your local library or bookstore. That type of training is something that may resonate with your mom because it's based strongly on positive reinforcement, and using good things to teach your dog some basic communication skills.

Engineer Lenk fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Mar 15, 2010

Reformed Pessimist
Apr 18, 2007
Is there any sort of product that would essentially work as a window sill extension?
I've looked around on google and haven't had a lot of luck aside from some DIY sites showing me how to do it. Unfortunately I rent and can't really set about permanently altering the windows. I'm looking for a less permanent solution that would be fairly easy to install and then remove when I move out.

The reason I'm asking is that I just moved to a smaller place and the windows here have really narrow sills. My cat can only jump up in the one in the kitchen and that only looks directly at another house.

She likes to sit in the windows and watch animals in the trees and stuff. She can't do that here. That coupled with the smaller space in the house has her basically laying on my couch all day doing nothing. I play with her on and off during the day, but I want her to be able to entertain herself a bit better and figured giving her the ability to jump up in the windows and check things out would help a bit.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy

crandlebomb posted:

Is there any sort of product that would essentially work as a window sill extension?
I've looked around on google and haven't had a lot of luck aside from some DIY sites showing me how to do it. Unfortunately I rent and can't really set about permanently altering the windows. I'm looking for a less permanent solution that would be fairly easy to install and then remove when I move out.

The reason I'm asking is that I just moved to a smaller place and the windows here have really narrow sills. My cat can only jump up in the one in the kitchen and that only looks directly at another house.

She likes to sit in the windows and watch animals in the trees and stuff. She can't do that here. That coupled with the smaller space in the house has her basically laying on my couch all day doing nothing. I play with her on and off during the day, but I want her to be able to entertain herself a bit better and figured giving her the ability to jump up in the windows and check things out would help a bit.

http://www.blair.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=6011&parentCategoryId=3&categoryId=342&subCategoryId=380&cid=RKG&kw=cat_window_shelf

First 5 hits in this link look really promising.
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=cat+window+ledge&tag=yahhyd-20&index=aps&hvadid=17989364511&ref=pd_sl_5pp6n82gkj_e

i haven't ordered these myself, I just bought a big rear end cat tree from Amarkat http://www.armarkat.com/ and stuck it in front of the window.

Reformed Pessimist
Apr 18, 2007

ChairmanMeow posted:

http://www.blair.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=6011&parentCategoryId=3&categoryId=342&subCategoryId=380&cid=RKG&kw=cat_window_shelf

First 5 hits in this link look really promising.
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=cat+window+ledge&tag=yahhyd-20&index=aps&hvadid=17989364511&ref=pd_sl_5pp6n82gkj_e

i haven't ordered these myself, I just bought a big rear end cat tree from Amarkat http://www.armarkat.com/ and stuck it in front of the window.

Oh yeah those are awesome looking I'll give them a shot. I didn't even think to check amazon out last night. Thanks.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot

Engineer Lenk posted:

First, don't use harsh punitive methods on a dog that already has submission-peeing issues. Get rid of the water bottle, don't yell at her or hit her. Does she know any commands? Have you done basic obedience training? If not, that's the first step. Look for a trainer who has a shy dog class.

Second, get the dog a crate. Make the experience of going in that crate the loving best time she's ever had. Put a blanket and her food in there, and give her a slice of hot dog every time she goes in there for the first week or so, without shutting the door. Then bed her down overnight in her crate with a toy or two, ignoring the inevitable barking that will ensue. She shouldn't pee in a confined space like that, and then you go out with her in the morning and treat/praise when she pees and poops outside. Until she's reliable with giving you signals about going outside, keep her with someone in the house or in her crate, and get her on a reasonable schedule for going outside.

Now most of this falls to your mother, because you've firmly established yourself as something to be feared, and rightly so. If you want to repair that relationship you have to be willing to go very slowly and encourage (click/treat) more confident behavior. Same deal with the barking. Start with click/treat when she's quiet for two seconds. Then make it four seconds. Then five, then put a command with it (hush or quiet). Keep doling out whatever will motivate her - likely food since she's terrified of everything.

E: If you want a way of suggesting this that's less confrontational than 'I hate this drat dog and it keeps doing all these things that piss me off', try talking about investing some time into working with the dog to build some more trust between you, and get her more comfortable with everything that's scaring her in her everyday life.

If you spend more time on the front end training the dog, you spend less time later on continually cleaning up after her or putting up with inappropriate behaviors.

If you want to check out something and see if it'd win your mom over, look for 'Don't Shoot the Dog' by Karen Pryor, either in your local library or bookstore. That type of training is something that may resonate with your mom because it's based strongly on positive reinforcement, and using good things to teach your dog some basic communication skills.

She doesn't really know any commands because no one has taken the time to train her to any. We haven't taken her to obedience classes because no one wants to bother. :/ I would but like I said, anywhere I get near her, she pees and I don't want to get peed all over trying to get her into and out of the car taking her to a dog training class. If I can TRY to get my mom to do it, it'd be the best.

We have a crate for her that we got from her previous owners, but again, the problem lies with my mom because she sees the crate and putting her in it as being cruel and inhumane since she was kept in a crate most her life before we got her. I can try again to see if I can convince her to put her back in there since it would be for the best.

Thanks for that and the rest of your advice as well. :) I'll see if I can try and get the ball rolling with it all.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

silversiren posted:

We have a crate for her that we got from her previous owners, but again, the problem lies with my mom because she sees the crate and putting her in it as being cruel and inhumane since she was kept in a crate most her life before we got her. I can try again to see if I can convince her to put her back in there since it would be for the best.

Thanks for that and the rest of your advice as well. :) I'll see if I can try and get the ball rolling with it all.

Your mom needs to dehumanize the dog. A crate is supposed to be a space just for the dog - her own private retreat. Obviously locking the dog in there and forgetting about her is bad. Making it available to her always as her 'safe spot' and setting her in there when no one can look after her so she's comfortable and safe isn't at all cruel.

Training is as much about teaching you to read your dog as it is about teaching your dog to read you.

BorderOfLife
May 16, 2005
Yuuga ni Sakase Sumizome no Sakura
Long-time reader, first-time poster.

I recently picked up two cats from the local foster agency, and #2 has monopolized playtime by being extremely possessive with every toy I bring out, growling and hissing at #1 with toy in mouth. #1 is a very laid-back cat who just lets #2 do his thing but is still demanding playtime when he doesn't see him around. Any way to get #2 to stop being so possessive so they can play together?

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

BorderOfLife posted:

Long-time reader, first-time poster.

I recently picked up two cats from the local foster agency, and #2 has monopolized playtime by being extremely possessive with every toy I bring out, growling and hissing at #1 with toy in mouth. #1 is a very laid-back cat who just lets #2 do his thing but is still demanding playtime when he doesn't see him around. Any way to get #2 to stop being so possessive so they can play together?

Nope. They'll sort it out on their own. You can get a toy they can play with at the same time, like a feather on a stick deal or a laser pointer. Or spend time one on one with cat #1 and a few of the toys the other cat wants to horde.

BorderOfLife
May 16, 2005
Yuuga ni Sakase Sumizome no Sakura

KilGrey posted:

Nope. They'll sort it out on their own. You can get a toy they can play with at the same time, like a feather on a stick deal or a laser pointer. Or spend time one on one with cat #1 and a few of the toys the other cat wants to horde.

#2 monopolizes all of the stick toys. Haven't tried the laser yet, as #1 didn't care much for it (he only likes stick toys). I've been placing #2 in a room with other people while giving #1 his solo time but given how quickly they adjusted to each other (#2 hissed for a day before they started play fighting, sharing food and water bowls) I guess it seems strange that there's this one last hold out. We'll see how it goes with time. Thanks. :)

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy
When I notice my more aggressive tuxedo is asleep in another room I try to get an extra play session in with my white cat.

CountessArtemisia
Dec 11, 2009
Feliway questions. I am going to be getting the diffuser this weekend. I have a cat that is spraying out of what I think to be jealousy of a new baby on the way. Then someone commented in the my cat is meowing to much thread about using feliway. Can this possibly help with that too? I have a cat who talks to much too. Could be a double bonus :) Also, where would be the idea spot to put the diffuser. We live in a 2 floor duplex. Should I have one for each floor? I guess I don't know how much one diffuser will take care of.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

CountessArtemisia posted:

Feliway questions. I am going to be getting the diffuser this weekend. I have a cat that is spraying out of what I think to be jealousy of a new baby on the way. Then someone commented in the my cat is meowing to much thread about using feliway. Can this possibly help with that too? I have a cat who talks to much too. Could be a double bonus :) Also, where would be the idea spot to put the diffuser. We live in a 2 floor duplex. Should I have one for each floor? I guess I don't know how much one diffuser will take care of.

It's doubtful the Feliway will stop a meowing issue unless the meowing is caused by something. Some cats meow just because they are talkative. Feliway will calm an anxious cat down so if he's meowing out of anxiety, then maybe.

As far as the spraying goes, you might want to take him to a vet and have him checked over. A change in bathroom habits can signal a urinary tract infection. It's better to check and make sure it's not physical before assuming it's behavioral.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Got a quick question about dominant dogs.

My dog Monty seems to think he is king poo poo at the dog park and will try to mount (not to hump, just to prove that he is the boss) some of the dogs there.

Last night he actually got a snap(nothing serious, he just yelped real quick and came and hide behind me) from a dog who wouldn't put up with it.

The question is, should I just let that happen so he learns that some dogs won't tolerate him acting up? Or am I better off keeping him away from other dogs?

I really want to let him play off leash, but I don't want to have to deal with any incidents.

Tiamat
Jul 25, 2008

yer a wizard, harry
So my friends want to get a dog. Neither of them have owned a dog before, but they are insistent on getting a "wolf" or "fox"-like dog - the breeds they're interested in include Shiba Inu, Akita, and Husky. I've heard these are all difficult dogs to train, and it isn't helped by the fact that both of them are gone at work during the day.

Can you think of dog breeds that are easier to train and manage than these, but still have the "wolf" look? I thought about recommending white GSDs, but realized that I have no idea if German Shepherds are any easier than the breeds listed above. Any advice?

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!

Demon_Corsair posted:

The question is, should I just let that happen so he learns that some dogs won't tolerate him acting up? Or am I better off keeping him away from other dogs?

What kind of dog is it? We started having this problem with our Husky. He would go up and put his chin on other dog's backs and even if the other dogs tolerate it it's just not good behavior. It got to the point where he got into a tiff with another dog who snapped as soon as he did it. We haven't taken him to the dog park since because he does it to a very large percentage of dogs who he doesn't already know. We worked with his recall and distracting him, but he'd still do it to every dog that entered and it didn't get much better. I made a post about it a while back before we decided to just stop, I'll see if I can dig it up. I'd like to find someone to work with him on it but I'm not sure if it's something that will ever actually change (and there are no really good trainers around here, it will have to wait until we move up to the bay area).

EDIT: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3251668

rivals fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Mar 19, 2010

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Amythest has suddenly discovered that the food at the bottom of the bowl is tastier than the top. She takes a half full bowl of food and shovels her way to the bottom, then proceeds to eat up. This leaves one hell of a mess. She won't eat out of an almost empty food bowl. And I'm afraid to 'no!' her at the food bowl since she may equate that with eating all around.

Any suggestions? Any idea why she's suddenly decided she likes doing this?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
My dog had a seizure tonight. That's a first for me. I got the first animal when I was 23ish, now I have 5 at 27.

She's a lab who "is about 5, I've had her since she was a puppy" when I got her from a friend of a friend. Her old vet and my current vet had sometime in 2005 as her birthday. So she's 5ish, but I thought she was 7ish.

Anyway, it was terrifying. Absolutely scary as gently caress. I didnt know what to do. I held her down and sat next to her talking softly.... got up and called the vet, they had just left so it was $100 for an emergency visit. I told him to get there, cause I'd beat him there. I threw a pack of hotdogs in the car just in case it was her last meal.

A minute and a half later she stopped seizing. She acted normal for about 45 seconds and wanted to go for a walk, so I let her outside with her sister. She got on the ground and started sort of curling into a C shape... butt heading in a roundabout toward her face. She was lifting her front paws off the ground one at a time, back legs shuddering....

God it was terrible. I beat the vet to the animal hospital. Totally checked her out, said she was good weight, no pupil issues, heartbeat is okay, ears are fine.

She never stopped trying to give me kisses while I was sitting in the back of the car with her. Her front toes were curling, her back legs wouldnt support any weight at all. She'd try to stand, but her legs wouldnt obey and she would flop to one side where i'd try to hold her down and calm her down, but if you pay ANY attention to this dog she goes insane. She was trying to go insane, but seemed to be saying "what the gently caress body, obey me, I can lick his face!" at the time.

I dont have any real question other than "what the gently caress do I do now?"

She's being fed By Nature by blue seal, gets treats, one loooong walk per day. She gets to run at one of a dozen places all weekend, like we play fetch for 4 hours on sat/sun or go swimming for 2 hours on the weekend....

She's never had a seizure as far as I know. Me or the girlfriend are usually home, we swing by for lunch, we are with the dogs all weekend playing for 18 hours....

God damnit Autumn... I thought I lost her.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

Tiamat posted:

So my friends want to get a dog. Neither of them have owned a dog before, but they are insistent on getting a "wolf" or "fox"-like dog - the breeds they're interested in include Shiba Inu, Akita, and Husky. I've heard these are all difficult dogs to train, and it isn't helped by the fact that both of them are gone at work during the day.

Can you think of dog breeds that are easier to train and manage than these, but still have the "wolf" look? I thought about recommending white GSDs, but realized that I have no idea if German Shepherds are any easier than the breeds listed above. Any advice?

Um...a Pomeranian? They are the closest they can get to fox like or teddy bearish that wont completely gently caress them up. The 'wolf' and 'fox' like breeds you are talking about are primitive breeds. They are highly independent, difficult to train, and if you don't know what you are doing with them and how to train them they will walk all over you and create chaos. They'll give the dog up within a year. It even says on the Shiba Inu Club website they aren't for first time owners. People hear 'independent' and think it's a good thing, they wont have a needy dog but what it really means is that the dog will run away from you the first chance it gets with it's finger high in the air as you try to call it back. They can never be taken off a leash. They wont listen to any commands you give. You have to firmly establish yourself as the leader in the house and constantly reaffirm through repetitious training to listen to your commands. Unless you have dog experience, know how to properly train and actually like little bastards like this, you wont do well with one. Also, they scream. It's the most horrible, ungodly sound ever. People will think you are murdering a small child.

Here is a blog from a Shiba owner I've always found funny: http://shibainus.ca/tms-in-a-nutshell-or-blast-from-the-past/

quote:

What is Shiba temperament like?

Shibas are completely and utterly cute, adorable, sweet, lovable… and psychotic. (A severe mental disorder, with or without organic damage, characterized by derangement of personality and loss of contact with reality and causing deterioration of normal social functioning.) Well, they are to you. But then again, insane people always think you’re nuts. Shibas have no clue why you don’t want them to kill Thumper or play tag on the freeway.Shibas have a high prey drive. High. Greyhounds run, Border collies herd, Labs retrieve… Shibas kill things. Lots of things. Things you didn’t think could be killed, like the toilet seat or your down comforter. By the way, how is your gerbil? Heard the wheel spin lately? I’d better check if I were you.

Are Shibas hard to train?

Don’t bully your Shiba. Give the The Kohler Method of Dog Training away. Your Shiba will not obey you without a drat good reason. It could be treats, praise, a game of fetch or permission to tear something valuable apart. Provide it. You want to train your Shiba by screaming her name and jerking her head-over-paws? Be prepared to enjoy sudden deafness, the refusal to move AT ALL or ear-splitting screams that send the neighbours racing to call the SPCA. Unhappy Shibas will become timid, sullen, or aggressive and may resort to many entertaining behaviour problems that you will pay dearly to fix. If you want Lassie, get a collie.

Shibas are smart. It takes them minutes to learn a command and as many years to obey it with any sort of reliability. Maybe. They’ll get smarter if you feed them bits of bacon or whatever treat they like best when they do something right. With frequent, consistent training, you may be rewarded with a Shiba who just might, if the weather is right and there is nothing to chase or destroy in the surrounding area, come when called. Don’t count on it.

Observe that while Shibas are learning commands, they also are figuring out A) how a lead works, B) how it doesn’t work when you’re not attached to it, C) how long it is (to the last inch), D) how fast you can run, and E) how fast they have to run to keep the lead skittering three feet ahead of you.

I cannot stress this enough

Do NOT trust your Shiba off-lead unless you are certain that she will come when called immediately. Most Shibas won’t. In this case, unless you wish to join the statistics of owners who say “Well she was always well behaved until…[insert tragedy here]” do not let your Shiba run free in an uncontained area. You will regret it.

What about grooming? Do Shibas shed much?

Shibas don’t shed; they do the canine version of Hiroshima.

It is somewhat disconcerting to find your sleek little dog resembling a Brillo Pad. In the space of a few days, your house is filled with downy little mats that strain your coffee and add substance to your food. People start smiling condescendingly at you and ask if you happen to have a dog. Your carpet goes from dark brown to a light cream color.

The underfur that comes from one Shiba during one shedding season would do credit to a dog four times its size. They don’t think like small dogs and they certainly don’t shed like small dogs. Slicker brushes and pin brushes are invaluable tools in dealing with the choking clouds of fur and should be part of any Shiba owner’s grooming tools. A grooming rake is also a very good tool to have.

It must be noted that Shiba undercoat comes out most efficiently when adhered to formal dress, any sort of food, or dog-hating visitors.

A Shiba is more like a cat than a dog when it comes to personality and wanting to hang out with you. If they want a dog that they can cuddle up to and enjoys attention and being around them a Shiba is not for them. Also, for as independent as they are they are also prissy little tulips. If it's raining, or there is not soft dry grass to pee on, good luck getting them to to out. I babysat a Shiba recently and it was lightly drizzling out and I had to walk her for over an hour before she's pee. She acted like the rain hurt her.

Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of great things about the breed and they make great dogs if you can command their respect. But if you've never owned a dog before or if you want an easy, lovable dog than a Shiba isn't for you.

The biggest mistake your friends are making is that they are looking at what dogs look cool instead of sitting down and looking at what they want in a dog. They need to figure out what their lifestyle and needs are and THEN go out and find breeds that match it. It's the only way they'll get a good match for both themselves and their potential dog.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Amythest has suddenly discovered that the food at the bottom of the bowl is tastier than the top. She takes a half full bowl of food and shovels her way to the bottom, then proceeds to eat up. This leaves one hell of a mess. She won't eat out of an almost empty food bowl. And I'm afraid to 'no!' her at the food bowl since she may equate that with eating all around.

Any suggestions? Any idea why she's suddenly decided she likes doing this?

Ah animals, good thing god made them cute. Could you maybe get a larger, flatter dish or a plate so the food is spread out more?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

KilGrey posted:

Ah animals, good thing god made them cute. Could you maybe get a larger, flatter dish or a plate so the food is spread out more?

We shall attempt this tonight and see how it goes. Since she's the size of a small horse, she does have raised feeders. Paper plate over the bowl it is!

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot

Spermy Smurf posted:

dog with seizures

Kind of silly but this made me tear up actually because I'd forgotten that my mom's dog had a lot of seizures not too long ago. I just remember my mom crying her eyes out while she was holding her and seizing and all I could think to say was, "Mom, she's having a seizure." Hard.

What did the vet say?
When we took our dog to the emergency vet, they told us that having a few seizures like that was completely normal and he put her on steroids and some anti-seizure medication that has helped a lot. She hasn't had any seizures since then. I can't for the life of me remember the name of the medication though.

Anyway. :/ I hope you find out what is wrong with your doggy and I'm sending well wishes your way.
Good luck.

archwhore
Oct 4, 2007

I recently found out that my allergies are being caused by my cat. :( I'm scheduled to start allergy shots with the doctor, I've washed all my sheets/blankets and will keep the things I sleep with/on out of contact with him, I bought Allerpet online and will use that when it gets here, and I'm going to vacuum more. I don't think I'll be able to keep my room off limits to him (his perchin' window is in my room and his litter box is in my bathroom), so what else can I do to minimize his affect on my allergies?

Because this is PI and someone might ask: he's almost 2, fixed, and being fed Blue Buffalo Indoor Formula.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

archwhore posted:

I recently found out that my allergies are being caused by my cat. :( I'm scheduled to start allergy shots with the doctor, I've washed all my sheets/blankets and will keep the things I sleep with/on out of contact with him, I bought Allerpet online and will use that when it gets here, and I'm going to vacuum more. I don't think I'll be able to keep my room off limits to him (his perchin' window is in my room and his litter box is in my bathroom), so what else can I do to minimize his affect on my allergies?

Because this is PI and someone might ask: he's almost 2, fixed, and being fed Blue Buffalo Indoor Formula.

HEPA filter for your bedroom (something like this)? Also HEPA filter for your vacuum if you don't have one already.

(disclaimer: I don't have allergies, I just have heard this stuff recommended numerous times)

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Tiamat posted:

Keeshond? I wanted a Husky once but my mom talked me into a Kees. She wasn't difficult to train really, she did love to bark though.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

We shall attempt this tonight and see how it goes. Since she's the size of a small horse, she does have raised feeders. Paper plate over the bowl it is!

Food everywhere! Happiest dog in the world, though. She looked up at me after she got done nosing it all to the floor, wagged her tail and did a little dance.

Any other suggestions, guys? :) It was a good idea, though.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

rivals posted:

What kind of dog is it? We started having this problem with our Husky. He would go up and put his chin on other dog's backs and even if the other dogs tolerate it it's just not good behavior. It got to the point where he got into a tiff with another dog who snapped as soon as he did it. We haven't taken him to the dog park since because he does it to a very large percentage of dogs who he doesn't already know. We worked with his recall and distracting him, but he'd still do it to every dog that entered and it didn't get much better. I made a post about it a while back before we decided to just stop, I'll see if I can dig it up. I'd like to find someone to work with him on it but I'm not sure if it's something that will ever actually change (and there are no really good trainers around here, it will have to wait until we move up to the bay area).

EDIT: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3251668

He is a cocker spaniel/schnauzer cross.

It's only some dogs. He clearly defers to some dogs.

Hmm, he doesn't seem to push his luck too much. Last time it happened he was clearly put into his place and stopped the behavior.

Is it wrong to let dogs settle these issues themselves? Assuming that it doesn't look like a full out fight is about to start.

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 19, 2010

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Food everywhere! Happiest dog in the world, though. She looked up at me after she got done nosing it all to the floor, wagged her tail and did a little dance.

There are bowls that have weird shapes in the bottom for animals that inhale their food - the eat slow bowl among others. I think it'd be harder to nose kibble out of that as well, but there's no guarantee. If you look at the design, you could try something that mimics the effect (maybe little bowls in the bottom of a large salad bowl or something).

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

There are bowls with a rim around the top to prevent water from spilling. You could get one and use it for food.

Like this

You can make your own with a tupperware container you cut a hole in the lid of to see if it works.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

I just wanted to express some frustration about the moment the weather is warmer, all of a sudden it's college student puppy time :( and I know most of these puppies will magically disappear in a couple months. Soon it'll be kitten season too, and then at the end of the school year the shelter floods with all the pets that the students forget about/"can't keep, I'm like totally moving!".

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

nonanone posted:

I just wanted to express some frustration about the moment the weather is warmer, all of a sudden it's college student puppy time :( and I know most of these puppies will magically disappear in a couple months. Soon it'll be kitten season too, and then at the end of the school year the shelter floods with all the pets that the students forget about/"can't keep, I'm like totally moving!".

The only bright side of that is the increased chance of a goon finding a stray kitten and posting an adorable thread.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!

Demon_Corsair posted:

Is it wrong to let dogs settle these issues themselves? Assuming that it doesn't look like a full out fight is about to start.

In a lot of cases it's not. That's what we did for a while until things started going too far, just make sure you keep a close eye on it.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Hahaha, sorry. Figure if there was no food at the 'bottom' she'd not need to dig anything up. It was worth a shot, at least made you all grin. v:shobon:v

I'd try one of the bowls the guys above me suggested. Maybe something deeper so when she snorts through it, it'll have enough room to move and not come out? Crazy Danes!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

KilGrey posted:

Hahaha, sorry. Figure if there was no food at the 'bottom' she'd not need to dig anything up. It was worth a shot, at least made you all grin. v:shobon:v

I'd try one of the bowls the guys above me suggested. Maybe something deeper so when she snorts through it, it'll have enough room to move and not come out? Crazy Danes!

I actually tried a mixing bowl that's pretty broad and flat (well, it says it's a mixing bowl. GWS would probably tell me different). It's got sides that slope down toward the middle.

I pour a bit in. She tries to nose it out and gets it raining down on her freaking head. She yanks back, snorts and sneezes a half dozen times, then gives me the angriest look in the world.

Success!

:ohdear: But yesterday was snake feeding day. Tried to feed Joker, a male snow corn who's about four feet or so. He wouldn't even strike. Temps and humidity are fine and I really hate feeding live, but I'm trying that today. Live/stunned instead of f/t. The f/t mouse smelled fine, wasn't gross or anything, did it's usual little dance that gets him all happy and excited to bite it and coil it (He has to show it who's boss :3: ). Harley tried to bite it through her feed box.

This week is just not my week.

Mitchnasty
Apr 15, 2009
After an exciting trip to the emergency vet with my beagle Daisy for ruptured anal glands, we're back home now and she's acting a bit strange. She's on antibiotics and pain medication, and she seemingly can't control her bladder. She's peed 3 times inside and four or five times outside in the past 3 hours. Is this from the meds? Also she keeps trying to lick her wounds, or sitting down and then turning 'round and licking where she sat. I just want her to lay down and rest; is there anything we can do for her? She's not due for more medication until tomorrow, and I don't want to overdose.
Obligatory dog picture here:
Click here for the full 960x1280 image.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

Mitchnasty posted:

After an exciting trip to the emergency vet with my beagle Daisy for ruptured anal glands, we're back home now and she's acting a bit strange.

The best thing to do is call the e-vet and ask them. They'll give you advice over the phone and let you know if it's okay to medicate again and if the peeing is a result of it. It probably is due to the meds and her being loopy, but over the internet and not knowing exactly what they did to her it's hard to say. The best and safest thing to do is give them a call, we wouldn't want to miss a warning sign of her needing to go back in since we aren't vets.

Good luck!

Amberlyn
Jan 5, 2010

Mitchnasty posted:

After an exciting trip to the emergency vet with my beagle Daisy for ruptured anal glands, we're back home now and she's acting a bit strange. She's on antibiotics and pain medication, and she seemingly can't control her bladder. She's peed 3 times inside and four or five times outside in the past 3 hours. Is this from the meds? Also she keeps trying to lick her wounds, or sitting down and then turning 'round and licking where she sat. I just want her to lay down and rest; is there anything we can do for her? She's not due for more medication until tomorrow, and I don't want to overdose.

Was she sedated/anesthetized? Both my dogs have pee issues for about 12 - 24 hours after being put under. My male had a dental last week, and for that whole evening and half of the next day he just forgot he was house trained, peeing everywhere, randomly and frequently (including once on my lap--gross.) The frequency was probably because he'd been thoroughly hydrated before I brought him home, but the randomness was entirely the result of the sedation. It's just what he does for a little while. The Vet told me this might happen, that it was normal and nothing to worry about, unless it didn't resolve after a day or so. They've also both been on Metacam for pain, but I didn't notice any side-effects from it.

Tiamat
Jul 25, 2008

yer a wizard, harry

KilGrey posted:

stuff about Shibas

Thanks for the info.

KilGrey posted:

A Shiba is more like a cat than a dog when it comes to personality and wanting to hang out with you. If they want a dog that they can cuddle up to and enjoys attention and being around them a Shiba is not for them. Also, for as independent as they are they are also prissy little tulips. If it's raining, or there is not soft dry grass to pee on, good luck getting them to to out. I babysat a Shiba recently and it was lightly drizzling out and I had to walk her for over an hour before she's pee. She acted like the rain hurt her.

I actually don't know that they want a dog they can cuddle with, although one of them who visited recently certainly enjoyed the cuddling and attention she got from my dog (a golden). As for the rain...they live in Texas, so a rain-hating dog is probably not the biggest issue for them.

KilGrey posted:

Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of great things about the breed and they make great dogs if you can command their respect. But if you've never owned a dog before or if you want an easy, lovable dog than a Shiba isn't for you.

The biggest mistake your friends are making is that they are looking at what dogs look cool instead of sitting down and looking at what they want in a dog. They need to figure out what their lifestyle and needs are and THEN go out and find breeds that match it. It's the only way they'll get a good match for both themselves and their potential dog.

Believe me, I've told them that these dogs are hard to train and live with, and they continue to insist that it's the only type of dog they want (FWIW, they're not 100% sure they want a dog, only sure that they want a "wolfy" dog if they do get one). So I'm trying to find other dog breeds that look a similar way but are easier to deal with ::shrug::.

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

Keeshond? I wanted a Husky once but my mom talked me into a Kees. She wasn't difficult to train really, she did love to bark though.

Great! Thank you for the suggestion. I'll mention it to them.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

I've got a question about bloat.

I have a 7 mo Aussie. My father was walking her at a local park and ran into an acquaintance who used to work at a vet's office who warned him not to feed our dog before a walk (where she tends to run around a lot) since barrel-chested dogs are at risk of bloat. I've always fed our dog before walks since it reduces her interest in garbage, mud, etc at the park.

Lately I've been feeding her a handful before walks, and the rest of the meal when we get back, just to be careful. But I'd not heard about Aussies being at risk of bloat, and don't put much stock in the advice of some woman from the park. What does PI think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

a life less posted:

I've got a question about bloat.

When we adopted our greyhound they warned us against allowing strenuous exercise (i.e. running) right after eating, but said that leashed walks were fine. I know my sister's Aussie eats right before the evening walk most nights because the combination of food and walking encourages her to poop, and that both her vet and the breeder approved of this - but likewise warned against letting her run for an hour or so after a meal.

So unless you're jogging her hard or turning her loose and letting her run, I doubt there's any danger in feeding her before a walk.