Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small

Hixalot posted:

Everybody lives chick pics right? This is my first large fowl Langshan of the year, he was hatched Jan 31st, making him 27 days old, and is a Blue Langshan. Hand included for scale, he is the largest Langshan chick I have hatched in a long long time.

WOW! Congratulations Hixalot, can't wait to see this one at full size!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

I found Waffle hiding in the back room again. I wasn't sure why she kept hiding until I got her out and Tabasco chase her to mount her non-stop. She's still being bullied a bit by the others, nothing serious but Waffle has always had some separation anxiety issues, if chickens can have that. I really need to get her another mellow hen to be her BFF :(

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Chido posted:

I found Waffle hiding in the back room again. I wasn't sure why she kept hiding until I got her out and Tabasco chase her to mount her non-stop. She's still being bullied a bit by the others, nothing serious but Waffle has always had some separation anxiety issues, if chickens can have that. I really need to get her another mellow hen to be her BFF :(

Poor waffle, she has a special place in my heart. Give her a hug for me Chido! Spring is here soon, I hope you can find her a buddy then.

Lenswork
Mar 27, 2010
I am deeply in love with that Langshan chick.

My little hen Blue isn't so little these days. She's the biggest hen in the run, and one of the head hens- the only girls who still scare her are my ancient Austrelorp trio. About two weeks ago we started finding some lovely speckled olive-green eggs in the coop when she began laying, but after three eggs no more were showing up. I thought she was on a break, but today I found what my roommate was missing, every single morning-

Clever girl, she was turning an unused coop into her personal nest box.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

piscesbobbie posted:

Poor waffle, she has a special place in my heart. Give her a hug for me Chido! Spring is here soon, I hope you can find her a buddy then.

Will do, Piscesbobbie. Do you remember how much she peeped her tiny heart out when she was a chick? She was so attached to me. I would love to get another brahma, but Pancake was rather dumb (oh look! food is more important than hiding from predators!), so I fear getting a cochin or another brahma because they might be too mild mannered to survive D:.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Chido posted:

Will do, Piscesbobbie. Do you remember how much she peeped her tiny heart out when she was a chick? She was so attached to me. I would love to get another brahma, but Pancake was rather dumb (oh look! food is more important than hiding from predators!), so I fear getting a cochin or another brahma because they might be too mild mannered to survive D:.

I will never forget, watching and listening to you, Waffle and Pancake that night, it was so sweet!

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

piscesbobbie posted:

I will never forget, watching and listening to you, Waffle and Pancake that night, it was so sweet!

Here's the video of Waffle crying for Chido. What a spoiled little mama's girl Waffle is. :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pQpGTGeV3Y

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

A 3-day-old Blue Laced Red Wyandotte. Thought people would enjoying seeing this cute chick. Pic from Reddit.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

More baby chick photos from Reddit's backyardchickens forum. Most of these girls are white crested black polish chicks.

BTW, the owner of these chicks lives in the Austin-San Antonio area and has offered to share their extra female polish chicks.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

HOLY poo poo--

Bear, my 12 year old Easter Egger hen, just laid an egg. First egg she's laid in years, the uproar in the coop was enormous, EVERYBODY was yelling. Either Spring is offically here or it's the first sign of the End Times. We may be firing up the ReptiPro sooner than we thought. Gotta consider what issues any chicks would have with such an elderly mom.

Bear's eggs are still the same army green. :keke:

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Velvet Sparrow posted:

HOLY poo poo--

Bear, my 12 year old Easter Egger hen, just laid an egg. First egg she's laid in years, the uproar in the coop was enormous, EVERYBODY was yelling. Either Spring is offically here or it's the first sign of the End Times. We may be firing up the ReptiPro sooner than we thought. Gotta consider what issues any chicks would have with such an elderly mom.

OMG! How exciting! It would be so cool if the egg was actually fertile! Perhaps all the wooing from the infatuated Cam has made Bear's lady-parts awaken! :D

Does it help to put the freshly-laid egg right into the incubator?

How did Bear react to laying an egg?

JimBobDole
Nov 6, 2005

'Tis the season.
The chick should be named Isaac if it hatches. Any broodies at the moment?

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Velvet Sparrow posted:

HOLY poo poo--

OH....MY.....GOSH.....Bear! I bet that was a symphony of an Egg Song, eh! Congratulations!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

No broodies right now. Bear's egg has been set aside, I'm tipping it back and forth several times a day to keep the yolk from settling in one spot. 12_String said Bear's reaction when he showed her the egg was 'Meh, been there, done that.'

We'll see what tomorrow and the day after that brings as far as eggs from her, if we get a few then after about 5 days they'll all go into the incubator. If I started this one right away and then added more we'd have any chicks from them hatching every other day, I'd rather have hatching all at once. If I DO start the incubator early I'll add in eggs from the other girls as well. I'm looking around for local eggs now from other people around here to try and avoid the 'low air pressure-high altitude' problems. I was going to start the incubator on the 15th of this month anyway. Weirdly neither Bug or Rose are in lay right now, so it may be a case of staggering the hatches--starting one group of eggs one week, another the next. Luckily you can do that in a ReptiPro.

We will be encouraging broodiness by marking and leaving a few eggs in the nests--you mark them so you don't accidentally collect them as fresh eggs after a week or so, yuk. Having a broody as a back-up turned out to be a great thing last year!

I checked my records, the last time we had eggs in the incubator that even might have been Bear's was 5 years ago in 2009. :pwn:

Also, Bear just bought herself a brand-new necksign. Now if only the bad weather would let up we could do the pictures.

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Mar 4, 2014

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Velvet Sparrow posted:

No broodies right now. Bear's egg has been set aside, I'm tipping it back and forth several times a day to keep the yolk from settling in one spot. 12_String said Bear's reaction when he showed her the egg was 'Meh, been there, done that.'

We'll see what tomorrow and the day after that brings as far as eggs from her, if we get a few then after about 5 days they'll all go into the incubator. If I started this one right away and then added more we'd have any chicks from them hatching every other day, I'd rather have hatching all at once. If I DO start the incubator early I'll add in eggs from the other girls as well. I'm looking around for local eggs now from other people around here to try and avoid the 'low air pressure-high altitude' problems. I was going to start the incubator on the 15th of this month anyway. Weirdly neither Bug or Rose are in lay right now, so it may be a case of staggering the hatches--starting one group of eggs one week, another the next. Luckily you can do that in a ReptiPro.

We will be encouraging broodiness by marking and leaving a few eggs in the nests--you mark them so you don't accidentally collect them as fresh eggs after a week or so, yuk. Having a broody as a back-up turned out to be a great thing last year!

I checked my records, the last time we had eggs in the incubator that even might have been Bear's was 5 years ago in 2009. :pwn:

Also, Bear just bought herself a brand-new necksign. Now if only the bad weather would let up we could do the pictures.

Ok VS, I'll send you a big box with holes that I expect to be sent back with a fluffy chicken inside in 3 months, tyvm :colbert:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Velvet Sparrow posted:

HOLY poo poo--

Wow. Just goes to show you can still be suprised by an old hen. Both Piper & Dora have been showing signs of their implant wearing off. We got five lovely eggs from Piper, but there's been two eggs with very thin shells and one was shell & white laid seperately (which is a standard for Dora now). There may have been a yolk for the second egg, but Pip goes nuts for yolk, so it would have been snaffled very quickly.
Piper's implant was effective almost 6 months to the day, which is about normal, whereas Dora had been on hers for 10 months. It's easy to spot with Dora, apart from going submissive if you touch her back, picking up feathers & leaves and putting them on her back, she also drops her preferred treat of grated Cheddar cheese to MEAT!
"Want some cheese?" nope
"How about some sliced ham?" OM NOM NOM!!!

Getting her re-implanted tomorrow.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

So the new 300 movie coming out soon centers around Themistocles.

I'm curious if they'll include the historical scene where he comes across two roosters fighting along the road and inspires his troops by saying:

quote:

Fellow soldiers, observe these animals; they do not assail each other for the sake of country, nor for their paternal gods, nor for the monuments of their heroic ancestors, nor for glory, nor for liberty, nor for children; but only because one will not give way to the other. How then ought you to fight, who have all these things to contend for?

Chickens: making history.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Alecto is still grumpy with her new sisters, who have now been getting to run around outside instead of just in their pen. When grain is put out, she very grumpily hops off her nest, pecks Megaera and Tisiphone out of the way, and steals their grain. When they run back and take a different pile of grain, Alecto pecks them away some more. She also takes the opportunity to splash around in her icecream container and have a quick dustbath, and, most importantly, sharpen her beak. Alecto was never one to do a lot of beak-sharpening but now she has someone to use it on she's got quite a routine going.

On the egg front we're getting one or two eggs each day. I think the two new girls are settling in well; they know to come back in at night and where to lay eggs, which is all you can really ask for. :cheeky:

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Budong had a bath because I found him sitting in a hollowed out watermelon rind and he smelled funny. He still had some drying to do in his tail when I took this picture.

The little black tip on his comb is a bit of frostbite thats getting better, the scabs about ready to fall off.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Ahanhahahahahhahahahhaha what a fat little ball of indignation!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Tim Jong-un posted:

Budong had a bath because I found him sitting in a hollowed out watermelon rind and he smelled funny. He still had some drying to do in his tail when I took this picture.

The little black tip on his comb is a bit of frostbite thats getting better, the scabs about ready to fall off.

AHAHAHA
He's sooooo pretty.....:)

My local Tractor Supply's chick shipment is overdue, I'll be checking the local feed stores and with local chicken people too for bantam Cochin chicks, since having eggs shipped isn't in the budget right now.

Also, egg #2 from Bear, she's on a roll!

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Tim Jong-un posted:

Tim, I see your attempts to create a perfectly spheroid chicken continue.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

VS: Has anyone been mating with Bear (that you know of). I keep wondering if Cam might have gotten lucky. ;)

Tim: That is the cutest, fattest, roundest, and angriest white rooster that I have ever seen! :D

= = = = =

Below: a pic of chicks! Left to right: Buff Orpington, Speckled Sussex, Plymouth Rock, and an Australorp. Pic from Reddit.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Inveigle posted:

VS: Has anyone been mating with Bear (that you know of). I keep wondering if Cam might have gotten lucky. ;)

It's all Cam, Weedcat shows her the proper respect that is due her.

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

Velvet Sparrow posted:

It's all Cam, Weedcat shows her the proper respect that is due her.

Bear Baby #2 needs to be named Cougar.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
In an attempt to pretend I'm working on papers (specifically, 19th century literature), I have been looking at hosed-up pigeons. I thought you might like to see my results!

Here is a pouter pigeon:

Darwin posted:

The pouter has a much elongated body, wings, and legs; and its enormously developed crop, which it glories in inflating, may well excite astonishment and even laughter.

Here is a turbit pigeon:

Darwin posted:

The turbit has a very short and conical beak, with a line of reversed feathers down the breast; and it has the habit of continually expanding slightly the upper part of the oesophagus.

Here is a barb pigeon:

Darwin posted:

The barb is allied to the carrier, but, instead of a very long beak, has a very short and very broad one.
(The carrier is described as having "wonderful development of the carunculated skin about the head ... accompanied by greatly elongated eyelids, very large external orifices to the nostrils, and a wide gape of the mouth".)

And here, lastly, is a tumbler pigeon in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_fyMZgWxYw

I wasn't aware we had so many horrifying types of pigeons! I am glad I now know.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

In an attempt to pretend I'm working on papers (specifically, 19th century literature), I have been looking at hosed-up pigeons. I thought you might like to see my results!

Here is a pouter pigeon:

Here is a turbit pigeon:

Here is a barb pigeon:

(The carrier is described as having "wonderful development of the carunculated skin about the head ... accompanied by greatly elongated eyelids, very large external orifices to the nostrils, and a wide gape of the mouth".)

I'm guessing these all have terrible health issues as a result of the breeding too?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op9qGrCx9pI

Good god.

Now someone try that with chickens.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Those poor pouters. Just when they are at their best to impress the ladies, they can't see her to tell if she's still standing there or not.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Those poor pouters. Just when they are at their best to impress the ladies, they can't see her to tell if she's still standing there or not.

Imagine if Weedcat could do that.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

AtomikKrab posted:

Imagine if Weedcat could do that.

He can. It's just at the other end. HMKFP.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Velvet Sparrow posted:

If you think that's bad, here's a fantail:

I thought I knew all about them, but it turns out the tail is not all they have going for them!

Geokinesis posted:

I'm guessing these all have terrible health issues as a result of the breeding too?

They may well do :( I'm not a pigeon fancier but given that they're more developed for showing than eating these days, I'd imagine so. I'm glad needing chickens to reliably survive for meat/eggs limits some of the genetic fuckery we can do to them! (Horrific meat breeds allowed to live past their allotted months an obvious exception.)

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Someone in my g+ group said as soon as chickens stop laying (at 2 years- I know that's only certain breeds), they're no longer good for eating. I called bullshit, but can anyone link specifics?

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Meanwhile, here are some chickens! I visited my aunt and her Silkies a couple of weeks ago. She has two flocks of Silkies (basically, ones she wants to breed, and the other ones), but one flock is mitey and therefore quarantined and not in a huggable state.

Here is the flock getting a bucket o' seed:

They're not very used to me and didn't want to come out until I hid:

A noble Silkie rooster:

Me awkwardly cuddling Onesie!

Onesie was from the first round of Silkie breeding my aunt did. The other surviving chicks were sent off to live in different homes. Onesie remained to be raised by her mother, a very nice Silkie. But one day when she was showing Onesie all the good things to eat, a hawk (I believe) swooped down and grabbed her. Onesie ran for cover and despite my aunt's attempts the hawk got away, leaving Onesie behind. So, my aunt decided to hand-rear her (and named her Onesie because she was a little lone chick). Onesie grew up to be a very affectionate housechicken, which is all well and good, but lack of chicken company had made her more than a little nervous around other chickens. She basically thought she was more chicken than human. My aunt's solution to this was to give her a batch of eggs to sit on; when they hatched, Onesie was very happy to raise them and quickly followed them outside and reintegrated herself into the flock.

There was a lovely apricot Silkie in the breeding flock, apparently, but she was taken by a fox.

Here are some other animals I saw. Boo, the guinea pig:

(My aunt and I have the same dress, we are very fashionable.)

A spider! Including my chipped-nail-polish hand for reference:

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Either those are some huge silkies, or mine are really tiny. I'm not sure!

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

The Rat posted:

Either those are some huge silkies, or mine are really tiny. I'm not sure!

You probably have Silkie bantams. I know that in the US they are almost entirely a bantam breed. Here in Australia they're almost always a full-sized breed except among more exotic fanciers.

e: Also both my aunt and I are very short :v:

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I was going to comment on the enormous spider but that explains it.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

fork bomb posted:

Someone in my g+ group said as soon as chickens stop laying (at 2 years- I know that's only certain breeds), they're no longer good for eating. I called bullshit, but can anyone link specifics?

The thing with older chickens is they can get a bit stringy with age...but I'd put that at about 5 or 6+ years, not 2. Unless hormone changes from going out of lay have something to do with toughening the meat....I dunno about that.

If they've gotten stringy, all you do is use them for stew rather than as roasters or fryers.

We don't often see standard size Silkies here in the US, we mostly have the bantam variety. :)

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Velvet Sparrow posted:

The thing with older chickens is they can get a bit stringy with age...but I'd put that at about 5 or 6+ years, not 2. Unless hormone changes from going out of lay have something to do with toughening the meat....I dunno about that.

I didn't see this question, I was too busy looking at Silkies.

Yeah, chooks are fine for eating at around two years of age. Most dual purpose hens you'll buy, whether pure bred or hybrid, are expected to be killed and eaten at two years old. And even single-purpose layers should be all right for eating, if not as substantial. And if it really comes down to it, they will all make tasty soup. :cheeky:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

fork bomb posted:

If you are looking for the perfect recipe to refute their point, it's Coq au Vin (literally Cock with Wine). Traditionally, you're supposed to use an old rooster for Coq au Vin, but any old bird will do. The acid in the wine makes the meat more tender. Supposedly, the French have a lot of recipes designed to use old birds, but this is the most famous. It comes from the idea that even peasants should be able to eat chicken at least once a week (usually reserved for Sunday), even if it means that they have to make do with a bird outside of its prime.